IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

41 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

A comment from the odious Jason Cooley on Lori's FB today regarding the NIV:  "

Huh... wha ...? Virginia who?  Goddess worshipper?  WTH is he talking about?

So this MAY come as a shock to you all- there was no person named Virginia on the translation committee of the NIV Bible. (This fact took me all of .54 seconds to Google.) There was a woman on the 2009 committee, named Jeannine Brown.  Here is a list of her books:

Relational Integration of Psychology and Christian Theology: Theory, Research, and Practice, with Steven J. Sandage (Routledge, forthcoming)

The Gospel of Matthew, with Kyle A. Roberts (Two Horizons NT Commentary series, Eerdmans, forthcoming)

Matthew (Teach the Text Commentary series, Baker 2015)

Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 2nd Edition.

Becoming Whole and Holy: An Integrative Conversation about Christian Formation, with Carla Dahl and Wyndy Corbin Reuschling

Scripture as Communication

Disciples in Narrative

No sacred feminine there. Oh, maybe it's because she's a WOMAN who has BOOK-LEARNIN?

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_International_Version

The initial "Committee on Bible Translation" consisted of E. Leslie Carlson, Edmund Clowney, Ralph Earle, Jr., Burton L. Goddard, R. Laird Harris, Earl S. Kalland, Kenneth Kantzer, Robert H. Mounce, Charles F. Pfeiffer, Charles Caldwell Ryrie, Francis R. Steele, John H. Stek, J. C. Wenger, Stephen W. Paine, and Marten Woudstra. The New York Bible Society (now Biblica) was selected to do the translation. 

A Virginia is listed here only as a critic, Like Lori. 

http://www.bible-researcher.com/niv-translators.html

If she had any influence at all among all those men in the 1960s its highly unlikely.  Of course Lori isn't going to research this herself, but will blindly believe her fanboy.

@AlwaysDiscerning, Thank you for that link! Guess who else was on the later translation committees?

Gordon Fee
Professor of New Testament at Regent College (Vancouver).
Denominational Affiliation: Pentecostal

Now, didn't someone suggest that Ken read Fee's work with respect to women?

It sounds like maybe Michael Pearl is behind her KJV stance.

2015:

Michael Pearl believes we should only be reading KJV since it is the most accurate.

It's odd that she's so latched onto it, because she admits in more that one post that she has difficulty understanding it.

I have grown to love this version but I do read an easier version for the Old Testament. I just can't understand it in the KJV.

In another post, she writes:

I love the KJV the most and the NIV the least. Since the KJV is more difficult to understand, you may want to read the NASB, especially when reading the Old Testament. I do fine with the KJV in the New Testament, but it's difficult for me to understand in the OT.

If she is struggling with this particular version, why on earth would she use it?  How can she teach others, what she doesn't understand herself?

Is KJV most accurate because Lori has thoroughly researched it, and believes it to be most accurate, or is it because Michael Pearl says so??

15 minutes ago, Koala said:

If she is struggling with this particular version, why on earth would she use it?  How can she teach others, what she doesn't understand herself?

Those who can, do...those who can't end up like Lori. 

I still think it's very odd that Lori always lists Michael Pearl as her biblical hero, instead of her own husband who happens to hold an MDiv. The only time she defers to Ken's knowledge (that I recall) is when someone questions HER credentials. Then she likes to remind them that her husband attended this school and holds that degree, blah blah blah. 

Ken, as her husband, is considered the spiritual leader of that household; although we all know he doesn't really do any leading in the home. For her to always resort to what Michael Pearl says just seems like another one of her little jabs at Ken. It comes off as very disloyal and is a horrible example to her followers, considering she teaches that the husband is to have final say in all things and a submissive wife should learn from her husband. 

So seems someone replied to Cara's post about slavery in the Bible, but when you click, there's none. Whatever was said, Lori deleted it. Are we surprised? Wish I could have seen what was said though before it was deleted, but alas I am an evil feminist who had other things to do than monitor the internet. 

So working in a library at a Christian university I've had to become slightly (very slightly) familiar with this topic. You'd be surprised what college students expect librarians to know.  I'm certainly not a scholar but readability is important. Do we really think God would want us to read from a text that we cannot understand? From what I've been able to research the ESV is pretty highly respected. It's what I've had to buy for class buttttt it was also translated by a big group of guys that are pretty much solely complementarian so some of the translation is questionable when it comes to gender. I always find myself wandering back to the NIV; it's what I grew up with so there's a warm comfort in reading it that I don't get with the ESV. NIV is kinda right in the middle of dynamic and formal word for word so still a pretty solid translation in my opinion and good for new believers.  Lori isn't wrong to use multiple Bibles but her hatred for NIV is misplaced. Also from what I've read KJV isn't really the most accurate. And Micheal Pearl is a bucket of crazy so I take everything is says with a handful of salt. 

Example of translation differences 

ESV Genesis 3:16 b "Your desire shall be contrary to[f] your husband, but he shall rule over you."

NIV Genesis 3:16 b Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.”

And seriously what is peoples problem using gender inclusive language. Are you really that insulted to have the word sister included with "brothers and sisters"? Its not like it changes what the verse means. Sometimes "political correctness" is a good thing. 

This is for LoriKen and all the leghumper fangirls (and boys):

Ya'll -- I know 99.9999999% of you are not Catholics but die hard Protestants, most likely Evangelicals, but wisdom can come from anywhere.  So set aside your prejudices for a moment and think about what Pope Francis is saying and how it can apply to your life.

A Gentle Reminder From Pope Francis

This life will go by fast.

Don't fight with people, don't criticize your body so much, don't complain so much.

Don't lose sleep over your bills. Look for the person that makes you happy. If you make a mistake, let it go and keep seeking your happiness.

Never stop being a good parent. Don't worry so much about buying luxuries and comforts for your home, and don't kill yourself trying to leave an inheritance for your family. Those benefits should be earned by each person, so don't dedicate yourself to accumulating money.

Enjoy, travel, enjoy your journeys, see new places, give yourself the pleasures you deserve. Allow dogs to get closer. Don't put away the fine glassware. Utilize the new dinnerware; don't save your favorite perfume, use it to go out with yourself; wear out your favorite sport shoes; repeat your favorite clothes.

So what? That's not bad. Why not now? Why not pray now instead of waiting until before you sleep? Why not call now? Why not forgive now? We wait so long for Christmas; for Friday; for Reunions; for another year; for when I have money; for love to come; when everything is perfect...look...

Everything perfect doesn't exist. Human beings can't accomplish this because it simply was not intended to be completed here. Here is an opportunity to learn.

So take this challenge that is life and do it now...love more, forgive more, embrace more, love more intensely and leave the rest in God's hands. Amen.

@Red Hair, Black Dress I actually think this is excellent advice! I think Pope Francis has had a lot of good things to say. He seems like a very kind man.  But then again I'm not super hardcore protestant or anything really, I gave up after attending a First Assembly of God school, a Lutheran school, a Baptist University, and then a Christian (denominational)  University in that order. So I gave up on denominations and things like that. Maybe that's how I ended up a confused feminist? 

Also, I started reading Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey and at the beginning of her book, she includes this poem called "Let Us be Women who Love" by Idelette McVicker and I wanted to share it with ya'll. I think even those who aren't Christians can use this.  I think its really beautiful. 

http://shelovesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/LET-US-BE-WOMEN-WHO-LOVE.pdf

I don't like the ESV. If you study the history of it it's a very much a men only, men rule, Calvinist version. Lots of info on it out there. Not egalitarian at all. Icky. 

2 hours ago, Koala said:

Is KJV most accurate because Lori has thoroughly researched it, and believes it to be most accurate, or is it because Michael Pearl says so??

The irony, of course, is that it is one of the least accurate of the English translations because of the following:

1.  The translators were not trained in Koine Greek (the type of Greek the NT was written in), but in a different form of Greek altogether.  It would be the same as expecting a committee of Shakespearean scholars to be able to translate the old English Beowulf accurately.

2.  The manuscripts the KJV was based on were the most recent manuscripts, not the oldest and best (in translation practices) - not to mention the Vulgate was often used.

3.  The KJV is notorious for including additions to the original text (especially from the Vulgate), such as the Johannine comma  (1 John 5:7-8) 

I could go on, but I will simply stop and conclude that Lori is once again completely and willfully ignorant.  

1 hour ago, EowynW said:

I don't like the ESV. If you study the history of it it's a very much a men only, men rule, Calvinist version. Lots of info on it out there. Not egalitarian at all. Icky. 

Well, that sounds like it's right up Lori's street! :pb_lol:

I think the theologian/ translator named Virginia that Lori was talking about was Virginia Ramey Mollenkott.  She's had a long journey from her days as a BJU student.  I'm pretty sure they don't claim her as an alum.

Virginia Ramey Mollenkott

The comments from Amber Dawn Young are gone but now I see comments from Amber Dawn. You think she was banned and that is another account she has? Lori doesn't get the tone that came across by saying "just a story...". Its mocking her. 

2 hours ago, Sarah92 said:
  Hide contents

image.png.399ed81920f5c66745d283733514cf75.png

AND someone calls Lori out for her defensive attitude. 

OH MY GOSH, EVERYONE BRACE YOURSELVES BECAUSE LORI SPEAKS *THE TRUTH*. Rofl.

I saw Lori's exchange with Amber Dawn yesterday and was really irked at her response.  Was Amber Dawn the one who wrote "I'm sorry I asked a 'stupid' question"? Lori knows good and well that she answered in a hateful manner.  That is her way and I think many people comment on it and those comments just don't get published.  Lori, WHO CLAIMS TO BE A CHRISTIAN,  should have responded with an apology such as "I'm sorry that my answer seemed harsh.  I did not mean to make you feel like your question was stupid." Instead, she took the snotty teenager route.  Can you imagine the constant sniping that goes on on that house with neither she nor Ken being willing to apologize or let a matter drop? 

Lori is likely not aware of the following Bible verse since it does not mention submission or keepers at home.  She would not feel it applied to her, anyway. 

Romans 12:18 King James Version (KJV)

18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

I just watched the first five minutes of Lori's bread video.  I'm surprised that she bought all new utensils and kitchen gadgets just to make bread, and she is reciting all the prices to the camera.  If she is such a good wife and cooks every meal (LOL), wouldn't she have already had many/most of those supplies, or couldn't she have substituted items that were already in her kitchen?  She can only make that bread with new bowls and cookware??  Sounds like she just used it as an excuse (as if she needs one) to go on a shopping spree.  Wow - she is just so unrelateable to most people.  At her 'godly older woman' age, she probably already has many kitchen gadgets and cookware that can be used and improvised.  I don't judge people for buying new items, but I'm just surprised that she feels the need to show them off and mention every single price on camera.  She must have a lot of storage room at her house.

1 hour ago, crawfishgirl said:

Sounds like she just used it as an excuse (as if she needs one) to go on a shopping spree.  

And an excuse to show off how easily she can afford to go on that spree.  Bragging to an audience who can barely afford a roof overhead and groceries. I wonder how the woman whose refrigerator was nearly empty, with a husband spending $120 a week on 'chew and soda' feels about that? 

I'll never understand why they cling so hard to a book that was first translated under the watchful eye of a man who left his lawful wife to pursue multiple marriages only to either dissolved those marriage or to simply kill his wives? Then years later his little cousin had that book translated again and arranged the content to agree with the ecclesiastical church they ruled, not the other way around...

Heaven forbid (no pun intended) that a better educated group of people with less bias & agenda make appropriate corrections in a flawed document. The original stories may have been divinely inspired but the ones who physically had the books made certainly were not.

Annnnnd here goes Lori, vocally preaching about women needing to be silent. The irony makes me want to vomit and laugh all at the same time.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived