IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

I think Austin probably complimented Joy on her dress once and she asked him if he liked her in dresses and he said yes. She has fixated on that and said she will wear dresses more often for her man! Joy doesn't seem particularly bright; it could be because she is so unsure of herself and her opinions. Austin appears to really like doing things with Joy. I had really hoped they would have had more time to themselves to do things together rather than as parents, but that is not to be. Hope they keep flipping houses and carve out their own lives away from the TTH

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Markie said:

I think Austin probably complimented Joy on her dress once and she asked him if he liked her in dresses and he said yes. She has fixated on that and said she will wear dresses more often for her man! 

I agree with this. When I was 16 and in my first serious relationship, my then-boyfriend once casually mentioned that he thought the color blue looked nice on me. For some time after that, when I went shopping I automatically searched for blue items first. I was young, immature, and infatuated. I think the same is true of Joy. Of course, eventually I grew out of that phase and now I wear whatever the hell I want, so hopefully she will experience the same.

He probably thinks she looks beautiful naked, too, but I doubt she's going to become a nudist.

I hope she's able to become more comfortable and confident in the future, in how she dresses but especially in how she lives her life.  I am FAR from the most confident person out there but when I remember my first year on the job vs now and my years in high school and college vs now I am extremely grateful that I'm more relaxed about stuff now.

Is Austin flying the plane, or is someone else?  I just remember Joy getting motion sick when she flew with JD.  I just wonder how uncomfortable it might be for her while pregnant?

Joy really is a naturally beautiful woman.  She looks happy. 

I do wonder why they fly everywhere.  What's wrong with good old fashioned driving?  I feel like it is some extension of fundie-ism.  Like a sort of elitist self sufficiency.  Having a plane used to be only something the very wealthy could do.  And even though Gothardism is not a prosperity gospel base,  I do think in their world they have status symbols such as planes, large plots of land, big gas guzzling cars, etc that seem to be very common in their cult. 

For people who claim modesty and being humble, I find the juxtaposition between their modest and humble claims, and their high ticket transportation options rather odd.  It feels very much like a fundie,'keeping up with the Jone's." thing.

9 hours ago, calimojo said:

Is Austin flying the plane, or is someone else?  I just remember Joy getting motion sick when she flew with JD.  I just wonder how uncomfortable it might be for her while pregnant?

I do wonder why they fly everywhere.  What's wrong with good old fashioned driving?  I feel like it is some extension of fundie-ism.  Like a sort of elitist self sufficiency.  Having a plane used to be only something the very wealthy could do.  And even though Gothardism is not a prosperity gospel base,  I do think in their world they have status symbols such as planes, large plots of land, big gas guzzling cars, etc that seem to be very common in their cult. 

For people who claim modesty and being humble, I find the juxtaposition between their modest and humble claims, and their high ticket transportation options rather odd.  It feels very much like a fundie,'keeping up with the Jone's." thing.

I think in a case like this if you could fly for 2 hours to a weekend wedding or spend 14 hours driving (round trip), you'd just hop in the plane and go. I know I would. In this case it is probably as cost effective to fly as it is to drive.  I'm wondering if one of Terry's kids got married and that is why only Joy Austin and he went. Seems weird that it wasn't the whole family. 

9 hours ago, calimojo said:

With flying, you have to have certain amounts of hours (hundreds) in particular aircrafts, night versus day hours, etc. I think they do all this because they have the plane access and the boys with licenses need to build their hours. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think in a case like this if you could fly for 2 hours to a weekend wedding or spend 14 hours driving (round trip), you'd just hop in the plane and go. I know I would. In this case it is probably as cost effective to fly as it is to drive.  I'm wondering if one of Terry's kids got married and that is why only Joy Austin and he went. Seems weird that it wasn't the whole family. 

It was Luke Wilson’s wedding, and Jim Bob was there front and center as you can see in the picture. 

Some people on ig are saying the picture Joy and Austin posted is from when the were courting and his dad was chaperoning but idk where they got that from

Also, both Terry’s oldest kids are married 

2557F4C1-8932-4DB6-8312-4A95656FBB32.jpeg

Ofcource they fly everywhere. I would too if I could afford it, didn’t believe in climate change  or cared about the enviroment at all, and thought that Jesus would keep me safe from planecrashes. 

A short plane trip vs 14 hours total of driving, well, I'd rather fly. But the prospect of being on one of those small planes scares me. So much potential for crashes. Plus, I'm prone to motion sickness from that type of thing. But I totally understand why they take a plane in these cases, especially since learning to fly these small planes is in vogue for fundie sons. Do any fundie daughters fly planes? Have any of the Duggar girls tried it?

28 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

A short plane trip vs 14 hours total of driving, well, I'd rather fly. But the prospect of being on one of those small planes scares me. So much potential for crashes. Plus, I'm prone to motion sickness from that type of thing. But I totally understand why they take a plane in these cases, especially since learning to fly these small planes is in vogue for fundie sons. Do any fundie daughters fly planes? Have any of the Duggar girls tried it?

Joy has, JD took her flying and she said she wanted to get her pilots license at one point.  

5 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

But the prospect of being on one of those small planes scares me. So much potential for crashes.

Holy shit yes. There is no fucking way I'd get on one of those things.

9 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

Holy shit yes. There is no fucking way I'd get on one of those things.

Same here. I’m got an easy filer either and a small plane like that scares me. 

On 12/2/2017 at 9:17 PM, VineHeart137 said:

I agree with this. When I was 16 and in my first serious relationship, my then-boyfriend once casually mentioned that he thought the color blue looked nice on me. For some time after that, when I went shopping I automatically searched for blue items first. I was young, immature, and infatuated. I think the same is true of Joy. Of course, eventually I grew out of that phase and now I wear whatever the hell I want, so hopefully she will experience the same.

I remember feeling this way,to a certain extent.When I was 19,I had my first boyfriend.He did not like me to wear make-up,I wore it ,anyway.He mentioned he liked short hair,I had hair that was waist length,at the time.I loved my long hair,at the time.My now husband and another guy,I was infatuated with,loved my long hair,that is until I got older...lol.I grew my hair long a few times to donate it.Mr Melon would casually ask when I was going to get a hair cut.I just don't have the patience for long hair,anymore.

On 12/2/2017 at 11:09 PM, calimojo said:

I do think in their world they have status symbols such as planes, large plots of land, big gas guzzling cars, etc that seem to be very common in their cult. 

Wealth is a sign that they have been "blessed" by God's grace and and they are God's fortunate. :my_sick:

I grew up with family and my family's friends with planes. We definitely  weren't rich lol. Some of the friends are pretty well off. Mostly, they aren't either though. I mean, you can almost get 2 of a plane that my dad had for the price of a van that I wish I could get. If you can budget for a car payment, you're good as far as the actual paying for one part  goes. *shrug*  

I know the Duggar's planes are quite a bit more than that, even used, but just because someone flies definitely  doesn't mean they're rich! 

The gas guzzling giant SUVs  thing that some of them seem to get on purpose  HAS always baffled me though!

1 hour ago, RainbowSky said:

The gas guzzling giant SUVs  thing that some of them seem to get on purpose  HAS always baffled me though!

Maybe they need giant cars for their giant families? Look at us, we have a giant family, and a giant car to go with. I don't know. 

Completely unrelated question: What would a fundie family do, in terms of separating boys and girls for sleeping, if they had a house with only two bedrooms? Would all the kiddos sleep in one room, or would the parents sleep in the living room? I suppose the families where they live in RVs they all sleep together? 

I guess I can see where people who aren't familiar with general aviation would think it's a huge extravagance. It definitely costs money, but I can assure you plenty of people own small planes and fly who aren't wealthy. My brother is an airline pilot, and my dad and husband are both private pilots. We typically fly wherever we can simply out of convenience. Planes aren't like cars, you have to use them or they break (like a boat). Most private pilots treat aviation as their hobby, not different than someone who loves to go golfing every weekend.

The duggars were always prone to motion sickness, but honestly I would be too if I was constantly riding everywhere in the back seat of a giant buss/van. I don't do those kinds of trips for exactly that reason. I am generally not prone to motion sickness at all, including small planes, but if I get hot in the back of a car with not good airflow I tend to get sick.

55 minutes ago, LillyP said:

I guess I can see where people who aren't familiar with general aviation would think it's a huge extravagance. It definitely costs money, but I can assure you plenty of people own small planes and fly who aren't wealthy. My brother is an airline pilot, and my dad and husband are both private pilots. We typically fly wherever we can simply out of convenience. Planes aren't like cars, you have to use them or they break (like a boat). Most private pilots treat aviation as their hobby, not different than someone who loves to go golfing every weekend.

The duggars were always prone to motion sickness, but honestly I would be too if I was constantly riding everywhere in the back seat of a giant buss/van. I don't do those kinds of trips for exactly that reason. I am generally not prone to motion sickness at all, including small planes, but if I get hot in the back of a car with not good airflow I tend to get sick.

Totally this, my dad isn't wealthy at all.... and he has a small two seater plane and flies whenever he can as well. He built himself too! (has to be checked by the FAA, so don't worry)

On 11/27/2017 at 11:20 PM, calimojo said:

So just replying to update about my husband.  He is doing amazingly well.  He had to have a valve replaced in his heart, which is a pretty big surgery.  But after a few days in ICU and then on a few more in the hospital we were home in time for Thanksgiving. 

This exact thing happened to my father. He had a pig valve put in. It was over 10 years ago now, and (no jinxes, knock on wood, etc.) he is doing really well. Last checkup, the valve was still working great.

His father died of a massive heart attack at 59 when I was two years old, so I don't remember him, but it sounds like the malfunctioning valve is hereditary. My father's siblings have all had heart issues, but he's the only one with the wonky valve (out of the five siblings, though one passed a few years ago due to terrible life and consequences of smoking). Earlier this year, I found out from my mom that the valve problem isn't gender specific, so I got it checked at my next appointment with my PCP. No sign of a murmur or anything, so all seems well (I'm early 40s).

Idk if you have kids, but it might be a good idea for them to get checked out periodically.

Glad your husband is doing well! 

8 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Maybe they need giant cars for their giant families? Look at us, we have a giant family, and a giant car to go with. I don't know. 

Completely unrelated question: What would a fundie family do, in terms of separating boys and girls for sleeping, if they had a house with only two bedrooms? Would all the kiddos sleep in one room, or would the parents sleep in the living room? I suppose the families where they live in RVs they all sleep together? 

Chad and Erin Paine currently live in a two bedroom cottage. Their son and daughter share a room. I believe Zach and Whitney Bates’ children (Bradley and Kaci) have shared as well, though I don’t know if they still do. All four kids are still very young though (I’m pretty sure they’re all 3 or younger), so I’m not sure how it would be handled if those families had older children.

I believe the Rodrigues children all sleep wherever they can on the RV. Those kids range in age from, I believe, the late teens to very young toddlers and they have a mix of boys and girls. 

Jim Bob and Michelle lived in a 2 bedroom until right after Jessa was born. I think they said that the 4 older ones stayed in one room and they satyed in the other with whoever was the baby at the time. Sounds like a nightmare. I only have 2 kids and if they shared a room they would never sleep since they love to play with each other! I can't imagine 4 very small kids in a small room like that. 

1 hour ago, crazysnark said:

Jim Bob and Michelle lived in a 2 bedroom until right after Jessa was born. I think they said that the 4 older ones stayed in one room and they satyed in the other with whoever was the baby at the time. Sounds like a nightmare. I only have 2 kids and if they shared a room they would never sleep since they love to play with each other! I can't imagine 4 very small kids in a small room like that. 

I love my sister dearly we always had our own rooms and shared the bathroom.

When I see that pic of the two of them in the plane, happy and enjoying couple time, I feel sorry that they only get that short time together before the babies start popping out. Good luck fitting your future quiver into that tiny plane. Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess. 

13 hours ago, LillyP said:

I guess I can see where people who aren't familiar with general aviation would think it's a huge extravagance. It definitely costs money, but I can assure you plenty of people own small planes and fly who aren't wealthy.

Your definition of wealthy may be a bit skewed. Here is a breakdown of the costs of owning a plane: 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/wealth-management/121415/economics-owning-small-plane.asp

As someone who currently makes around $10,000 a year, let me assure you that if you've got the money for all of that, you are doing quite well. Probably in the category of wealthy, in fact. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived