IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Okay, I have to guess:  (feel free to not confirm, esp. the first since it's your own kid)

a) is Gillian.  

B) I"m a little stumped... Rayke?  Fynce?  Mowwer?  LOL!  

Tiller = Tyler 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've finally caught up on this thread!  It makes me very happy to see both the way my name is spelled and the way my name is pronounced as some of your picks.  My name isn't incredibly common to begin with, and I never seem to come across people who spell it the same way as I do.

8 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Side track: the more I see of Austin the less I like him and the more controlling he seems.

back on track: I named my son something that I loved, had never heard before, and didn't see on any top 20 list only for it to make it's grand appearance on many baby name suggestion articles right after he was born and it's rapidly climbing the charts... oh well I still love it. 

I could see joy and Austin Naming their baby something nature-ish or natural sounding. I don't think they'll get to crazy with the spelling though joy seems a little down to earth and Austin seems pretty traditional

I love how going back on topic is considered a side track. Only on FJ!

8 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Ah yes, Timothy and Tomothy. :pb_lol:

Are you a fan of The Breakwomb?

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

snip

I will be severely disappointed if that doesn't eventually lead to Jor-El Duggar

I had a religious school class where we linked superman to Judaism, like links between superman and Moses, and how the kryptonian names ended in 'el' like many Hebrew names. Just a fun fact for you.

On the topic of twins I know an Adam and Eve(lyn) from school:laughing-rollingyellow:They were family names, but you'd have thought the parents would have given them to their older children.

well, in my village there's twin boys named Phillip and Filip. Everytime I see them (they're over 18 now, and they are not the smartest in the bunch - either) I wonder what their parents smoked all throughout the pregnancy so that they could not produce TWO different names. You pronounce it the very same, too. It's so weird.

On 2017-11-18 at 10:32 PM, sta_sha said:

We are specifically not doing this! Baby B's name starts with an A and baby A's name will start with an S. When we chose the A name my one condition was that we use it for baby B.

I initially wanted to name the Fred and George, but this was quickly shot down.

I know twins named Fred and George! I think it started out as a joke when they found out they were having twins but then it stuck when they actually had two boys.

Mr Way and I had some trouble agreeing on names and Miniways was the only boy name we both liked (took us ten days to decide after he was born though). Coming from different countries made our references very different. I wanted an older Swedish name that would be pronounced the same in English and I did get that. For middle names he has my grandfathers first name that is also my fathers  middle name and Mr Ways fathers name. We wanted one family name from each family and agreed on those easily.

If the English aspect wasn't important, and Mr Way didn't hate it, Holger was my favourite boys name. Mr Way wanted Ryan but I don't think that works in Sweden.  

3 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I had a religious school class where we linked superman to Judaism, like links between superman and Moses, and how the kryptonian names ended in 'el' like many Hebrew names. Just a fun fact for you.

Weren't the creators of Superman Jewish? It would make sense that the influence of Jewish tradition would work its way into the story line, either consciously or unconsciously. 

On 11/18/2017 at 4:02 PM, Carm_88 said:

How dare you forget Jayne the "Hero of Canton!" :P 

River: Jayne's a girl's name!

Jayne: WELL JAYNE AIN'T A GIRL!

On 11/17/2017 at 12:57 PM, justoneoftwo said:

For us girl names are super hard.  We want traditional, but not too common.  Ideally with lots of nickname options to the kid gets a choice.  And ideally with a gender neutral nickname option.  Haven't found a girls name yet that is perfect.  (LO is a boy, his name was super easy, but if we have a girl later no idea!)

I know this sounds super creepy, but I love walking through old cemeteries. I'm definitely not opposed to naming a future kiddo something I found on (or was inspired by) a gravestone.

There is an episode of Judge Judy featuring twins Justin and Dustin. I giggled.

I went  to school with  Jeffrey/ Brian, Julie/Lynn, Margaret/Andrew. All dating me to the 1970's.

My boys grew up with Rebecca/Hannah, Ailsa/Bryony and Jennifer/Bryony. Dating them in the 1990's. 

Not relevant to twin names, but I went to school with twin guys, who looked so much alike everyone in our school had trouble telling them apart - including teachers.  (I know the idea of twins is that they're identical but I think that once you get to know them, you are able to tell them apart. I have identical female cousins and was always able to tell them apart on sight.  These guys were just really, really identical.  :))  

My grandson is going to be Elijah Morgan, called Eli. Morgan is my son's middle name, and my great-great grandfather's name. Elijah is DIL's grandfather's name. They've promised no kewtesy or kreaytive spellings, like my son's half-sister's son, Izayah.
(Yeah, it's a boy! No gender reveal, though. They just texted close family and friends the news, then posted  it on FB a couple of weeks later. I'm so proud of those two!) 

16 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

Not relevant to twin names, but I went to school with twin guys, who looked so much alike everyone in our school had trouble telling them apart - including teachers.  (I know the idea of twins is that they're identical but I think that once you get to know them, you are able to tell them apart. I have identical female cousins and was always able to tell them apart on sight.  These guys were just really, really identical.  :))  

I had the (sort of) opposite experience in high school. I knew twin sisters who were not identical. They looked like sisters, but were easy to tell apart. (For one thing, one wore glasses and the other didn't.) They told me about a girl who knew them separately, but when she found out they were twins, she suddenly couldn't tell them apart. :pb_rollseyes: 

I've only been able to think of 4 sets of twins whose names I know, and they all share the same first letter in their names. The girls' names in the above story were already mentioned by someone else. I also know of a Jeff and Justin, a Brian and Brent, and a Shannon and Sharon. If I've known any other twins, they were apparently very forgettable. :pb_lol:

My sisters are identical and we've found that people really like being able to say they have no problem telling identical twins apart, whether it's true or not. There are people who think they can tell them apart who get it wrong frequently. When they meet new people they also often get stared at and have those people comment on every minute difference they think they can see. (I've told my sisters to stare back!) I've heard similar things from other identical twins, who say that people can be really insensitive and blatantly talk about who they think is the more attractive of the two.

6 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I've heard similar things from other identical twins, who say that people can be really insensitive and blatantly talk about who they think is the more attractive of the two.

That's so fucked up. People are just incredibly rude. I'd also never really thought about the fact that identical twins must get stared at a lot. I would hate that.

Back to the twin topic, I know twins named Daythin and Naythin. Pronounced Dathan and Nathan.

ETA: I know another set of twins that is Eden and Adam. 

2 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Back to the twin topic, I know twins named Daythin and Naythin. Pronounced Dathan and Nathan.

In our Nicu in the 80s we had twins: Marcus Felix and Demarcus Defelix

39 minutes ago, JillyO said:

That's so fucked up. People are just incredibly rude. I'd also never really thought about the fact that identical twins must get stared at a lot. I would hate that.

Tamera Mowry has talked about how her identical twin Tia was considered the "sexy" one and Tamera was the "goofy" one, and once a "fan" did call her the "ugly twin" in a letter. It did a number on her self esteem. It's really mind boggling how people can be so nasty.

The twins I know are Allison/Angela, Timothy/Anthony, and Ethan/Ella. So they all have some similarity but aren't identical. 

I also know a family who named their (boy) children Hunter, Tanner, and... River. We were all hoping for another old-west occupation name like Miner, Fisher, Sheriff...

Being an identical twin can also really magnify weight issues in girls since any fluctuation is more obvious if the girl's identical sister remains the same weight and people are always looking for ways to tell twins apart. My sisters have always been at about the same weight, but if one finds out that she's heavier than her sister then she does get upset, and people will make comments about which one has a fuller face.

On 20/11/2017 at 9:55 AM, FeministShrew said:

My grandson is going to be Elijah Morgan, called Eli. Morgan is my son's middle name, and my great-great grandfather's name. Elijah is DIL's grandfather's name.

I really like Morgan as a gender neutral name, and have met some very cool women with that name. I also have a male cousin name Morgan.

11 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

My sisters are identical and we've found that people really like being able to say they have no problem telling identical twins apart, whether it's true or not. There are people who think they can tell them apart who get it wrong frequently. 

My son is 2 and goes to daycare with identical twin boys, Liam and Owen. For the life of me I can't tell them apart, and their parents don't dress them the same or anything. But my son totally knows who is who and insists that he only likes Owen lol. I've observed him correctly identify them and I'm just amazed. I want to know his secret.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived