IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

As a teacher, I use initials a lot in my record keeping. Thank you very much parents for MF, BM, and others. They always give me a chuckle or wtf moment when grading, depending on my mood.

As a parent check out the ease of using first, middle, and last name together. I guarantee you will be using all three, especially during teen years (with possible a tone of annoyance or anger).

I have a niece who prior to marriage had the initials BMO- A nephew with RBO

No BM

No BO

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

Did you run "River" and "Kaylee" by him? :) Man, that was a great show. I still haven't forgiven Fox.

How dare you forget Jayne the "Hero of Canton!" :P 

3 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this but I couldn't resist, as some people have mentioned using literary characters for their children's names. 

:pb_lol:

IMG_1067.JPG

Sounds like me lol

2 hours ago, Caskett4ever said:

For example, if I named a daughter Hermione, people would probably assume that she was named after the Harry Potter character. However, if I named a daughter Molly (after Mrs. Weasley), most people wouldn’t make the connection unless I told them.

I'm the same way, I wouldn't use the super obvious names, but I REALLY love the name Dominique (for a girl, since it is also sometimes used as a boys name), and unless someone is REALLY into HP, they wouldn't get the connection at all!

I also love James for a boy, and I think it is a very classic name, and people wouldn't necesarily think of HP either, but then again, I would really worry about the pronounciation in my native language. With James more than Dominique actually. 

Elliot for me would be lovely as a boys name, but I don't necessarily like it as a girls name (I don't even know why, maybe my brain connects it with scrubs, and while I really like the actress that played Elliot, the name just didn't fit for me.)

I am a big fan of 4 letter names.  My 2nd child was almost named Leah, but I didn't like the meaning.  Her name is Miranda, because Shakespeare.  My other babies have 4 letter names.

For Names my guess for

boy:

Colton, Cotton, Woody, Wayne 

Unisex:

River, Remington, Aspen, Lake, Hunter, Willow 

Girl 

Daisy, Violet, Pearl, Rose, Ivy

March Birth

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I have a niece who prior to marriage had the initials BMO- A nephew with RBO

No BM

No BO

My mom's name begins with B. When she got married, her new initials became BO.  Since she is a nurse, she has to initial papers a LOT.  So, she uses her first initial, and the first two letters of her last name.  (Think:  Becky Osborne = BOS, RN)  

As a kid, when I asked her about it, she replied, "No one wants a stinky nurse!"  

I went to school with a set of twins.  Their mom took the matching thing to a whole 'nother level.  (Like Holly May and Molly Kay)  

16 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I know a set of twins named Sean and Dean. I've always thought it was kind of funny because their names don't actually rhyme.

This is why I love pronouncing Sean Bean's name as Scene Bean or Sean Bon.

Wonder if rhyming or same first letter names for twins is more generational? 4 sets of twins I know either rhymed or had same first initial. They would have been born mid 50's / early 60's.

* Forgot to add, twin girls born in the mid 80's, no rhyme and different first initials.

I could see a trendy youthful or unineek  pick for a girl [something like Tiffany or Harper or Hollis] and the name Austin for a boy. 

5 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this but I couldn't resist, as some people have mentioned using literary characters for their children's names. 

:pb_lol:

IMG_1067.JPG

... I wanted this to be my future so bad, but husband vetoed any super obvious HP connections... dream killer... :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I've know twins that had matchy names, started with the same letter and ones who started with different names. Matching names kinds of I don't mind unless its Sara and Tara, Dean and Jean, Terry and Kerry, or Polly and Molly types. Then it doesn't really seem like your giving them their own name. I've known couples who picked out a name and searched through tons of names of the same letter because they had to match. Why? If your going through all the A names then you really don't seem like your really like any of those names. If it turns out you love Alexandra and Adrienne? Then that's great go with them. But don't search all the A names because you like Alexandra and her twin's name must start with an A. 

Movie names? Well for me that would be Leia. I've never actually seen Lord of the Rings but I like Arwen and Galadriel. From Disney Ariel, Aurora, and Tiana 

TV shows: Lorelai, Piper, Alexis

Roman/Greek myths: Athena, Hera, Luna, Andromeda, Persephone, Selene, Apollo, Ares, Hermes, Gaia, Charon, Nyx, Iris

Authors: Marlowe, Poe, 

There's so many great names out there. 

Are there any baby names you used to like but don't anymore? Or ones you disliked but now like? 

We had Brandon picked as our boy name during my pregnancy last year. We agreed that name was out after seeing the latest season of Game of Thrones. Brandon Stark was creepy as fuck and ruined it for us. :pb_lol:

If I could name the kids without my husband's input, I’d go for names like: 

Lyra (His Dark Materials), Edgar (for Poe), Lenore (Poe), Annabelle (Poe), Charles (for Dickens), Rowena (Harry Potter), Felix (Felix Felicis, Harry Potter), Alice (Harry Potter... again), Evan (... are you sensing a HP theme yet?), Henry (... nicknamed Harry...), Arthur (Must be a Weasley!), Lily (... please don’t judge my obsession with HP...), George (jk, you can judge me), Frank (but seriously - no judging...)

As it stands, our daughter’s first name is the first name of a very famous character in Russian literature. I love that book, but she isn’t the type of character you’d want to name your kid after. Our new boy name is the same as a beloved Harry Potter character though, so that makes me happy. Our second girl name pops up in Tom Sawyer I think - I do love Mark Twain. 

ETA: Someone else mentioned the name “Dean” and I like that one too... I may have a problem... :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Did you run "River" and "Kaylee" by him? :) Man, that was a great show. I still haven't forgiven Fox.

Kaylee's pretty popular, but River, hmm... He is a Whovian... :my_biggrin:

The best curse I ever saw in that regard was "May the person who cancelled Firefly spend eternity watching Jersey Shore reruns!"

Our kids names will be from children's books. I'm currently cooking a little girl who's name will be Lucy obviously after the Narnia series which is my favourite book series! 

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Seriously? I have friends who have a daughter named Thalia. It's a lovely name. What so weird about it?

Nothing is weird about it. I predict it will become popular in a few years due to the Percy Jackson books. That and Annabelle. However, in my house my child is a huge fan of horror movies so I always think of that wretched doll when I see the name Annabelle.

Oksana--love the name.  Didnt use it because I was concerned my daughter would be called Ox.  She was finally named a not often used form of Catherine, which is now pretty popular, although the spelling is almost always different.  I still have moments I wished I had named her Oksana.  Child #1 has an old Russian name also, not weird but never in the past 50 years has it broken into the top 100.  :)  They both have family middle names, although #1 's  is a first born to first born. name for the last 5 generations.  May be longer but havent gotten any further in geneology search

My first set of identical twin friends were always dressed identically and were named Maria and Marina... I deperately wished I could be their triplet, or have my own twin. 

I ended up being given a super common name top 10 80s name. Like, I routinely am given access to other people's confidential information because they think we're the same person (student loans, bank accounts). I assume they can get to mine too, which isn't great. 

My family wanted Gwendolyn or Mercedes though.... both of which I'm thrilled to have avoided.

My mother didn't name us with rhyming names or letters the same or in any order, but she did give all three of us 9 letter first names. She once remarked that she had wished we rhymed because trying to corral us in with our full first names was hell on her hahaha.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:38 PM, Eponine said:

Fanny was also a perfectly acceptable name in the UK until relatively recently - you've got to feel bad for the women named Fanny who lived through that transition period! :my_biggrin:

Just for giggles, I googled its popularity in 1900 and found this listing: http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2012/08/top-200-most-popular-names-in-england-and-wales-1900.html

The name Fanny was #69 in popularity. (I am a 13 year old boy at heart apparently :my_blush:)

My grandmother's name was Frances.She HATED her nickname "Fannie".She even said she did  not think it a name for a little girl...but a name for something else...lol.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

... I wanted this to be my future so bad, but husband vetoed any super obvious HP connections... dream killer... :pb_lol:

We had Brandon picked as our boy name during my pregnancy last year. We agreed that name was out after seeing the latest season of Game of Thrones. Brandon Stark was creepy as fuck and ruined it for us. :pb_lol:

If I could name the kids without my husband's input, I’d go for names like: 

Lyra (His Dark Materials), Edgar (for Poe), Lenore (Poe), Annabelle (Poe), Charles (for Dickens), Rowena (Harry Potter), Felix (Felix Felicis, Harry Potter), Alice (Harry Potter... again), Evan (... are you sensing a HP theme yet?), Henry (... nicknamed Harry...), Arthur (Must be a Weasley!), Lily (... please don’t judge my obsession with HP...), George (jk, you can judge me), Frank (but seriously - no judging...)

As it stands, our daughter’s first name is the first name of a very famous character in Russian literature. I love that book, but she isn’t the type of character you’d want to name your kid after. Our new boy name is the same as a beloved Harry Potter character though, so that makes me happy. Our second girl name pops up in Tom Sawyer I think - I do love Mark Twain. 

ETA: Someone else mentioned the name “Dean” and I like that one too... I may have a problem... :pb_lol:

I'd never judge anyone for their obsession when it comes to books, TV and/or movies. I have plenty obsessions of my own when it comes to all three groups. 

King Arthur: Arthur, Guinevere, Tristian, Isolde, Morgan, Vivian, Elaine, Mark, Merlin, Pervical, and Enid.                      There's so many great Russian names! Anya, Olga, Irina, Natasha, Natalia, Tatiana, Sonya, Dimtri, Andrei, Sofya, Katerina, Nadia, and more.                               

5 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

I am a big fan of 4 letter names.  My 2nd child was almost named Leah, but I didn't like the meaning.  Her name is Miranda, because Shakespeare.  My other babies have 4 letter names.

I think i remember what Leah means."Weary One"?I used to love the name Miranda..note USED to.Son's ex has that name.

3 hours ago, Justmurrayed said:

Our kids names will be from children's books. I'm currently cooking a little girl who's name will be Lucy obviously after the Narnia series which is my favourite book series! 

Love this. Aravis was in the running for our last daughter. 

33 minutes ago, J'Lurker said:

My first set of identical twin friends were always dressed identically and were named Maria and Marina... I deperately wished I could be their triplet, or have my own twin. 

I wished I was a twin too. Or a triplet. Or quad. The twins, triplets and quads I knew were all so close and always having so much fun together. 

Thinking back on twins (other than my classmates):

I knew a Candy/Mandy; Tom/Jerry; Tim/Tom; Celia/Celeste. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived