Dillards 44: Still Pretending to Missionary to College Students

Coconut Flan

16 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Dancing blue dot.

But wait! Dancing isn't allowed!  :smiley-signs131:

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don’t understand the point in donating money to Derick’s gofundme with silly names, yeah they’re funny but ultimately he wins because he gets your money.

It’s like when my kid says “fine I’m eating my broccoli but you’re a meanie head.” Sure he is being a butt head and calling me a meanie head, but I win because I’m getting what I wanted in the first place.

If you want to stick it to Derick, go donate to Planned Parenthood, The Human Rights Campaign, the ACLU, or something in his name. Then comment or tweet at him and let him know. I mean I’m just spitballing but there has to be better ways than giving the guy your money?

The more we learn about Derrick, I find it very probable that Walmart fired him.  

A lot of personality issues can be solved discreetly by giving warnings based on time and attendance.   If Derrick took off lots of time for filming, plus calling in sick frequently I think coworkers would have complained to HR.   If Derrick was operating on Duggar time ( did Jill drive him to work?J documentation for lateness would be easy to find.  If Jill called him constantly at work, personal calls during work hours could also trigger warning in a personnel file.

18 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I really don’t understand the point in donating money to Derick’s gofundme with silly names, yeah they’re funny but ultimately he wins because he gets your money.

It’s like when my kid says “fine I’m eating my broccoli but you’re a meanie head.” Sure he is being a butt head and calling me a meanie head, but I win because I’m getting what I wanted in the first place.

If you want to stick it to Derick, go donate to Planned Parenthood, The Human Rights Campaign, the ACLU, or something in his name. Then comment or tweet at him and let him know. I mean I’m just spitballing but there has to be better ways than giving the guy your money?

There's no way I could give him a cent.

Did he save anything in the last few years? I'd like to know how much he was paid by being on the show. 

Yeah, I don't see the point in giving him 5 bucks just to call him a grifter.

That said, I think it's hilarious that he's only collected $35 so far. (I don't believe for a second that the "offline donation" is real.) Good riddance, Derrick!

7 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

On the news here earlier they mentioned that the Church of England had issued guidelines to its schools saying kids should have the freedom to express themselves and that boys could wear tiaras and girls could be superheroes without persecution. 

That's what real Christians do, they are supportive of people even if they don't always understand them. 

The issue as a gay man here, is that the transsexual community in the UK has lept aboard the gay, lesbian and bisexual community, added all these t and pluses to LGB.  I’m a masculine bloke I don’t relate to a transgender women.

I’m a Christian but sexuality and gender are different things, they should never have been grouped together.

I bet Chris Maxwell dresses up in NR Anna’s frumpers when she is not at home lol....

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The more we learn about Derrick, I find it very probable that Walmart fired him.  

A lot of personality issues can be solved discreetly by giving warnings based on time and attendance.   If Derrick took off lots of time for filming, plus calling in sick frequently I think coworkers would have complained to HR.   If Derrick was operating on Duggar time ( did Jill drive him to work?J documentation for lateness would be easy to find.  If Jill called him constantly at work, personal calls during work hours could also trigger warning in a personnel file.

This is a very interesting theory. It's also possible that, though it seems he started declining physically around the surgery/Israel's birth/Joshgate era that then compounded his self-inflicted public decline, it's likely he could have showed signs of mental health issues much earlier. He was probably on his best behavior during the short courting stage, so Jill (or Jim Bob too, for that matter) couldn't have possible anticipated that he could be like this. She must have been so confused after they got married. :my_sad:

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I remember during one of her THs shortly after the Dillards were married, Jill was asked what was one of the main differences between her new home and the TTH, and Jill replied, "the day starts and ends much earlier in the Dillard home vs her parent's home." Of course when you work for others, you have to get your butt up early and you tend to be tired after working all day, so bedtime is earlier.

11 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Except Derick didn't. He might have grown up conservative christian, but he went to public school and a public university. 

I agree with you- Derick isn't a product of the ATI lifestyle.  I think the Duggar Kids are not equipped to be savvy enough to filter people like him out of their lives.  I think we will see a few more of the Duggar Kids marry loose cannons and further damage the brand.  

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Maybe I'm mis-remembering something, but I thought there was an issue with the filming AND possibly people showing up to rubberneck with the chance of seeing him.

Also, let's not forget, H&R block does seasonal work--maybe that's what he was hired on for?

Another thought... Maybe Derick deliberately went after Jazz Jennings because he wants to land a job with some "family values" organization? Or start one himself?

10 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Another thought... Maybe Derick deliberately went after Jazz Jennings because he wants to land a job with some "family values" organization? Or start one himself?

Maybe. 

But In what capacity? If you're thinking something similar to what Smuggar was doing I just can't see it. 

I loathe Josh and liken him to the poop emoji. But he wasn't awful in front of the camera, he was decently spoken and smarmy enough to make it work. He had some charisma. (This is really hard to try and word. Essentially trying to make clear how awful Josh is/was while trying to explain that I didn't think he was terrible at his job)

Derrick doesn't have that going for him, he's not especially well spoken, average in front of a camera and doesn't have the name recognition. 

I could see him working for something like FRC behind the scenes but not in any type of spokesperson capacity. 

2 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Maybe. 

But In what capacity? If you're thinking something similar to what Smuggar was doing I just can't see it. 

I loathe Josh and liken him to the poop emoji. But he wasn't awful in front of the camera, he was decently spoken and smarmy enough to make it work. He had some charisma. (This is really hard to try and word. Essentially trying to make clear how awful Josh is/was while trying to explain that I didn't think he was terrible at his job)

Derrick doesn't have that going for him, he's not especially well spoken, average in front of a camera and doesn't have the name recognition. 

I could see him working for something like FRC behind the scenes but not in any type of spokesperson capacity. 

I know what you mean. Josh was pretty personable in that "aw shucks" kind of way. Before I knew about the awful things he had done, I thought he was a bigoted douchebag, but could be decently funny and charismatic given the chance. Then I found out what kind of person he really was and that all melted away, except for the douchebag part.

Derick at first seemed like a lovable dork, but after his radicalization/decision to stop hiding what a complete dickhead he is, he lost the one thing he had going for him. Josh could pass himself off as a smarmy politician type. Derick looks like the kind of guy about whom the news would say "kept to himself, never caused any trouble".

The mental gymnastics Derrick must have performed to think that starting a third (!!!!!) fundraiser for his grifting would be a good idea and indeed turn out to be successful. It's just mind-boggling. 

4 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Maybe. But seriously, it should take more effort to start a NGO or get a lucrative job with one than being hateful on Instagram and being slightly grimy all the time.

6 hours ago, johnhugh said:

The issue as a gay man here, is that the transsexual community in the UK has lept aboard the gay, lesbian and bisexual community, added all these t and pluses to LGB.  I’m a masculine bloke I don’t relate to a transgender women.

I’m a Christian but sexuality and gender are different things, they should never have been grouped together.

I have no idea exactly where you live, but in most other places in the UK, the T has been in the acronym since the 1990s, so you're complaining about something that's way late.   And historically, Transpeople have been part of the LGB community forever.  If you know anything about the history of the gay subculture in the UK, you'll know this.  Sure, there have always been men-only spaces, but Trans people have been an integral part of Gay life forever.  They may not have used the same words, but it's always been the case.

And look at Stonewall!  The Stonewall Riots may have been a USA event, but the UK's biggest LGB political organisation is named after it, because it was the spark that lit a flame across the world, in terms of helping people fight for rights.  And Transwomen and Transmen were at the very heart of that.

The LGBT community isn't about just the people you feel are just like you.  Presumably, as a masculine bloke, you'd also feel you have nothing in common with the average lesbian, too?   You'd probably get on much better with a masculine transman more than you would a flaming camp Cis gay man, for example.    But the LGBT community isn't about only people of a specific type - the whole purpose of LGBT activism and community is to embrace us all together in our diversity, and to work together to fight discrimination.  

If you don't want to?   Fine!  No one is forcing you to, or will take away your Gay membership card!  But if you can't expect Trans people to be excluded from communities they've been part of since WAY before you were born, just because you feel you don't have anything in common with some of them.

8 hours ago, SuchABlessing said:

Cmon guys... all those $5 donations with the crazy names? Which one of you did it???

People over at Pickles. They admitted it.

7 hours ago, TXGirlInAMaterialWorld said:
19 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Except Derick didn't. He might have grown up conservative christian, but he went to public school and a public university. 

I agree with you- Derick isn't a product of the ATI lifestyle. 

Quite.  He grew up more conservative Christian and is a voluntary convert into Extreme Fundamentalism.  The recent converts are frequently the most extreme in their views, while those who grow up in the beliefs may question them.  

As for following God's directive, JB put Derick and Jill together in the first place because they both had a "heart for missions" and Derick had spent 2 years fake missionarying in Nepal.  He only identifies it as "humanitarian" work because Nepal is opposed to twits like Derick going there to preach faux Christianity and hand out Bibles.  

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

Bless their hearts.

Now that it's out in the open, I wonder what Derick's next move will be? Megyn Kelly interviewed one of Warren Jeffs' daughters recently (I think?), so maybe they'll go the same damage control route. Maybe he'll go on one of those Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil style shows in attempts for a miracle kid comeback. Not having watched the original 19KC in any depth, isn't there a cousin Amy, who is bound and determined to be a reality star come hell or highwater?

I doubt this is the last we see of Derick, because if he truly didn't want to be famous anymore he'd just fade away and get on with his life, not troll about on Twitter. Plenty of people in the entertainment industry have done it and even in the Duggar clan social media isn't a must have. 

6 hours ago, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

Maybe I'm mis-remembering something, but I thought there was an issue with the filming AND possibly people showing up to rubberneck with the chance of seeing him.

Also, let's not forget, H&R block does seasonal work--maybe that's what he was hired on for?

He was employed for 15 months at Walmart. It wouldn’t have been seasonal work at that point - if anything, a temporary position with predetermined length. I’m pretty sure he was hired on as a regular employee, but obviously I don’t know for sure.

Also, H&R Block likely wouldn’t be doing the same type of Accounting as Walmart - they have different deadlines and busy times. So hiring seasonal help for January through April at H&R Block would make sense, while it likely wouldn’t make as much sense at a place like Walmart. That’s not to say it can’t happen, it’s just more likely you’d see seasonal help at H&R Block and Public Accounting firms. 

Finally, a lot of people have mentioned the possibility that he was let go because of filming conflicts. I don’t know how true that is or not. If Walmart was truly important to Derick he could have simply told TLC he couldn’t be filmed at certain times and they needed to work around that. I remember that in Jill’s “I can’t cook well!” episode, she and Jana started preparing dinner while Derick was still at work - so it’s not like it wouldn’t b possible to accommodate a more traditional work schedule. Other reality tv families film around their work schedules too. I feel like it would have been easy enough for them to film non-Derick scenes while he was at work and film other scenes after he arrived home or on the weekend instead.

This is all just speculation of course, but I’m honestly of the opinion that, for whatever reason, Derick left Walmart willingly because he decided normal office work wasn’t for him. I think Walmart was, in his eyes, some sort of means to an end and that he never intended to stay there for long. 

2 hours ago, DillyDally said:

The mental gymnastics Derrick must have performed to think that starting a third (!!!!!) fundraiser for his grifting would be a good idea and indeed turn out to be successful. It's just mind-boggling. 

Others have pointed out that the fundraisers appear to be kind of standard for the Cross Church program. I think all the other participants have to do it too. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of the class work, in order to teach the students how to fundraise for Jesus or something. Still really stupid and a bad PR move for him though. 

18 minutes ago, cascarones said:

isn't there a cousin Amy, who is bound and determined to be a reality star come hell or highwater?

That would be the always perky Famy.  AKA, Amy Duggar, Amy Jordyn, and now Amy King (I think that is her married name).  She was a nanny who wanted to become a country singer but has dwindled into marriage.  The Duggars claimed not to approve of Amy's choices but "loved her anyway".  Famy is still around, but seems not to be very popular with the Duggars in recent years.  She and her husband have been responsible for a few criticisms and (allegedly) quite a few leaks.

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

Others have pointed out that the fundraisers appear to be kind of standard for the Cross Church program. I think all the other participants have to do it too. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of the class work, in order to teach the students how to fundraise for Jesus or something. Still really stupid and a bad PR move for him though. 

Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were graded on their fundraising endeavors!  Derick's pay check from TLC and the bad PR probably earned him an F. ;)

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

This is so stupid, just so a funny name gets on his page? He still gets their money. 

It is a pretty safe call by TLC to ditch Derick.  He is by far the least attractive and charismatic Duggar BIL.  And that is a low bar with Austin now in the mix.  

9 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This is so stupid, just so a funny name gets on his page? He still gets their money. 

Hmmm, not necessarily. They could have donated, sent a message asking for clarification on what the funds were going to be used for, etc and then contacted GoFundMe to rescind their donation. GoFundMe gives them their money back, I don't believe necessarily updates the page to reflect removed funds and either eats the transaction cost themselves (unlikely) or it is still ultimately taken from the poster. 

That's only from personal experience, I donated to a GoFundMe account that was a scam and the intended family wasn't going to see a dime. GoFundMe immediately returned my moola, no questions asked, so a slightly different situation. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived