IGNORED

I just fucked up Jinger's yeast rolls

Scrabblemaster

I tried to bake these yeast rolls Jinger posted in instagram a couple of days ago. I was distracted by my attempts to convert ounces and cups into gramms and mililiters. I thought I managed it until I was confused about the amount of  flour compared to the amount of yeast. Maybe Rufus was sitting next to me and and had the feeling he should step in. A quick Google search told me that cups of fluids and cups of flour are different. I should have got to that conclusion by myself, but I didn't. Well, because of my mental calculator running hot, the information that she did put the eggs into a 2-cup measuring cup (which I don't have because I am european) and filled it up with the hot water totally slipped through my fingers. So the endproduct was too fluid. I am not a first time baker so I knew what to do. I added flour. Lots of flour. So much flour that my cookingchef tried to commit suicide by jumping of the table. Rufus stepped in again! At this point my dough rises in the oven and is still not smooth and elastic enough. I will have to add more flour I suppose by hand. 

I guess when I take a look in my kitchen I will find a measuring cup with "cups" on it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

You don't even need a measuring cup. I use a regular coffee cup with 250 ml. Works just fine. :) 

And on that note, I really want to try Jinger's pumpkin muffins. Hers looked just perfect and delicious!

• Upvote 3

I've been making Sarah Maxwell's chocolate chip muffins several times, and I fucked them up good this morning:  I forgot the baking powder. They were dense and heavy.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, catlady said:

I've been making Sarah Maxwell's chocolate chip muffins several times, and I fucked them up good this morning:  I forgot the baking powder. They were dense and heavy.  

I like Sarah's muffin recipe. The batter contains a reasonable amount of added sugar, and if you go light on the chocolate chips and the topping it is not too sweet for my taste.

• Upvote 3

I was not impressed with that roll recipe even though I've never made it.  It has WAY too much sugar in it to be regular dinner rolls.  Now, if you want to make sweet rolls....  that might work.

• Upvote 2

Okay I have to admit that these rolls ended up pretty fine. They taste good, are fluffy and not dry. I was impressed about the endproduct because normally my yeast doughs turn out really dry. It might be because of the amount of sugar and the amount of water, although that was a mistake from me. And I adapted their baking time and the heat. The first ones (yeah, I needed two baking trays ...just be because of the extra flour...) I put in the oven at the degree Jinger wrote in her recipe, but turned out to be too dark already. So I reduced the heat and the time and these are the perfect ones. That said this experiment will most likely not to be repeated, because...

• I canged the heat
  • I changed the baking time
  • I changed the amount of flour
  • I changed the amount of water
  • I used real butter instead of shortening ( I didn't say this in my previous post, but if I had to choose between shortening or margarine instead of real butter, I would choose butter.

In conclusion: I levelled up the recipe. :tw_glasses:

• Upvote 6

Jinger's recipes are doomed! 

I made her pumpkin muffins recipe and only when I had already put them in the oven I realized I forgot the oil. Gonna be some really dry muffins. 

• Haha 4

• 5 months later...
Spoiler

Cinnamon yeast rolls

1/2 cup butter (110 gr)

1/4 cup sugar ( about 70gr)

1 teaspoon Salt

2 blocks of fresh yeast (84gr)

5 Cups flour

2 eggs

Hot water ( 150 ml Or 150 gr. For your information, that was the point were I fucked up last time, so let me explain to you in detail what I did today. I took 2 eggs, put them in a cup, put the cup on my scale and added 150 gr water, because this is about the amount of water I thought it would be to have 2 cups in total. You see, I still do not have a measuring cup thing.)

1/2cup semi-melted butter

Sugar-cinnamon -mix

So, I mixed the butter, the sugar, the yeast, the salt and the flour and kneaded it until my dough looked good. Then I let it sit in my warm oven (about 35°C). During the waiting time until the dough doubles its amount I did this: 

I took my bible and read Titus 2 how to be a devout housewife.  I made myself a gin tonic with tanqueray gin, sat on my balcony and enjoyed the sun, while I thought that I am a very fortunate woman.

After the amount of dough doubled and my gin tonic was gone, I kneaded the dough and flattened it into a round piece like a pizza. Then I put the melted butter on it, sprinkeled the sugar-cinnamon mixture above and rolled the up (small to large). I put them on a baking tray in my warm oven until they doubled and then baked  them at 160°C for 15 minutes ( maybe 16, I couldn't find my gloves...)

The whole time I listened to evil rockmusic. So the reason why these rolls turned out great are: Melissa etheridge, Queen and co, gin tonic and me, the catholic, woman, who works, drinks alcohol from time to time, swears and lives life to the fullest. 

I was in the mood for some baking today and thought I should try jinger's yeast rolls. But I changed the recipe a little bit to make them  better. :evil-laugh:

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...
On 10/22/2017 at 9:11 AM, catlady said:

May I have a link to the recipe. TIA.