IGNORED

Maxwell 14: Editing Out Fun-Loving

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

We've already had a Maxwell title about f*n so I went with this one instead.  

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do those photos in the link from the old thread come from? They seem to be almost random photos cos none of those are the Maxwells.

That's a good question.  I began the thread the same way as always with a link to the last page of the last thread, but I fear that is Michelle Duggar in the middle of that photo.  I don't see a photo resembling that one on either the first or last page of the last thread.  Normally it doesn't pick up a photo if one isn't there.  

ETA:  I tried replacing it with a link to the first page and it brought up the same photo.  I'll pass the issue along up the chain.  

More:  I finally got rid of it.

Several things.

1. I think the photoshoot on The Knot are their official engagement photos. They have the "day of" in the red dress, the "maxhell appropriate" on titus 2, as well as the green/cuddly photos on the Knot.  Do we think they're going to do an additional set of photos on top of that? Seems like a lot.

2. All this talk about Chelsy being like Elissa and distancing from the borg is blowing my mind.  This is the girl who blogged about disagreeing with the Pearls because ... (of all things) they believe in family planning. At the double wedding Chelsy's dad talked about his dream of 10 generations having 10 children. They will absolutely be sticking to the quiverfull ideology IMO.

3. wow that blog post was passive aggressive and childish.  "to protect our 30 year old children, unlike those bontragers" how embarrassing, John must be mortified!

22690196_10214235322379703_1408344581_o.jpg

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

That's a good question.  I began the thread the same way as always with a link to the last page of the last thread, but I fear that is Michelle Duggar in the middle of that photo.  I don't see a photo resembling that one on either the first or last page of the last thread.  Normally it doesn't pick up a photo if one isn't there.  

There was a short discussion of her outfit in the Maxwell thread for sure.  We even got into the orthopedic shoe conversation for the umpteeth time lol.

I may never recover from the orthopedic shoe discussions.  I did get rid of the photo though.  Persistence counts sometimes.  

Regarding their theknot page: I didn't know you could have multiple best men!

US$800,000 would get you a one or two bedroom apartment with parking in the area I live in in Sydney. 

Funny Lilith, Indiana would be cool! Would you rent out your place? It’s hard to get back into Sydney real estate I’ve heard. 

Now I know why Jon Marie isn't in the wedding.  He and the missus are having a baby in Dec according to his FB page.

My zip code starts at 150K to 200K for a one bedroom one bath apartment and goes up to 5-800K on a house with with more than 2 bedrooms. Not including condos. This is why I'll continue renting. I like the city and the cheaper houses are still well over 200K, but need a ton of work. Renting is the new American dream, im totally okay with not having a yard and I can paint if I want, I love that I have people to fix things for me at no cost and that I can walk everywhere and take public transit as needed, I'm not buying a car to pay to park and then drive around for an hour looking for a place to park. To each his own, but I'll never afford a house unless I move to a more rural area and that's not happening. I'm in the US. Not everyone can be like you Steve! 

Here in Vancouver a single-detached home will set you back about $1.5 million and that generally is a gut it and renovate place so we definitely will be renting for life. We are saving for our retirement so that it includes a nice nursing home because any sort of large amounts of debt we're totally against after paying off roughly $50,000 in student loans we pretty much have no faith in the banks or government to help us so we'll be renters for life! It's pretty handy since we aren't handy people either so someone taking care of all the maintenance is totally ideal too. 

Mr Pianokeeper and I rent, because although we gripe about the cost, it's astonishingly more affordable than buying in this area. There is a large student population, so I suppose that would doubly piss off Steve. Sorry not sorry -- people are here learning to create technology and processes from which you too benefit, Maxwells! Seriously, if they think they could be making a penny off computer-related careers without the contributions of university graduates... grrrr. Why doesn't Steve see that "We take advantage of others and then deride them," is a more concise way to frame his views on higher education?  

NB: I don't have a college degree.  And I would never ever presume to think the world could be just fine and dandy if suddenly everybody did as Steve Maxwell prescribes and abandoned higher education. 

Steve would of course say that these young men should not be living in ungodly big cities, anyway. They should move to a more rural area where housing is cheaper and there are far fewer sinful influences and heathens per square mile.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Steve would of course say that these young men should not be living in ungodly big cities, anyway. They should move to a more rural area where housing is cheaper and there are far fewer sinful influences and heathens per square mile.

It's true, I'm sure he would say that. I just don't understand how you can have a successful small business then if you live in a small town? Maybe I have a different definition of small town. How many people live in Leavenworth? His whole idealogy is flawed. It can only work in a few cases not in ALL cases like he states. 

The thing is too, renting makes more sense than buying - the trade-off between any money you might lose in the long run (by not having invested in a building whose value may go up and by paying rent) is offset by a) the risk of the building's value not going up by so much compared to other investments and b ) having your money tied down to something so long-term and c) opportunity cost of not being able to move that easily.

If Stevehovah had half the business acumen he thinks he has he'd see that.

I do suspect however that buying a house debt-free has very little to do with finances and a lot more to do with tying down his sons to a place within a mile of his own compound, making sure (wife and eleventy gazillion kids) that they won't be able to leave. Manipulation through and through.

Regarding John and Chelsy - I think they have more in common than just Jesus and being brainwashed into wanting to fill a quiver at all costs. Growing up on a travelling bus, being forced to perform liked trained monkeys and to not have any better friends than their own siblings would be biggies. I do wish them well, but there's nothing at all in there to indicate they won't be every inch as fundie as their parents.

6 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

I do suspect however that buying a house debt-free has very little to do with finances and a lot more to do with tying down his sons to a place within a mile of his own compound, making sure (wife and eleventy gazillion kids) that they won't be able to leave. Manipulation through and through.

It also controls the adult children and ties them down because if they want to save up that much money, they must live at home from age 18 to whenever they have the money for a home. 

8 hours ago, physicalscience said:

2. All this talk about Chelsy being like Elissa and distancing from the borg is blowing my mind.  This is the girl who blogged about disagreeing with the Pearls because ... (of all things) they believe in family planning. At the double wedding Chelsy's dad talked about his dream of 10 generations having 10 children. They will absolutely be sticking to the quiverfull ideology IMO.

Distancing from the borg =/= leaving fundamentalism. I definitely think Chelsy and John will stay fundamentalist Christians who will try to cram as many arrows into their quiver as possible. But I still think they will manage to have a somewhat separate life that isn't totally enmeshed with the Maxhells. For example I suspect they will find a real church instead of attending the church of the holy nursing home. I think Chelsy will socialize with people outside the borg, probably friends from that real church or neighbors. 

My predictions about the relationships between the sisters-in-law is partly due to proximity. It's going to be easier for Chelsy to walk the two blocks to Elissa's house than it will be to walk the 0.7 miles to the main compound to see the other women.

9 hours ago, physicalscience said:

They will absolutely be sticking to the quiverfull ideology IMO.

I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise.  What we are talking about is the possibility of escaping Steve's iron grip of control on his family, which is extreme even for Fundies.  The Bontragers, who are Fundie to the hilt, appear to allow their children more independence.

I think it's good to celebrate any little bit of change for the better, as it happens so infrequently. 

So according to Zillow John paid $96,900 for his house.  The lot is pretty big but the house is only 1,080 sq feet with only 1 bathroom.  I don't think they are counting the basement but it takes a bit to make a basement part of the livable area.  We own a 3 bedroom townhouse as a rental and it is 1,300 sq feet and I can't imagine filling my quiver in that place.  2, maybe 3 kids max.  It would start to feel small rather quickly (I lived in a unit in the same complex for a few years in my early 20s so I know what living there feels like).

I'm surprised this comment went thru:          

Leslie G says:

October 20, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Good for him. It’s wonderful when you can purchase a home debt-free. Both my girls have been able to do that, too, over the past couple of years. They both worked hard, lived at home, and saved every dime.

Sarah Maxwell says:

October 21, 2017 at 7:01 am

That’s awesome! 

3 hours ago, keepercjr said:

So according to Zillow John paid $96,900 for his house.  The lot is pretty big but the house is only 1,080 sq feet with only 1 bathroom.  I don't think they are counting the basement but it takes a bit to make a basement part of the livable area.  

Did it say how many bedrooms. From the pictures posted it looks like a lot of the High ranch style houses that are in my area. 

AThat is it.  What ever ideology a chiiiild is raised with is not something I can ndictate.  Not encouraging your children to spread their wings is insane.

The  real joke of the situation is Steve adheres to the rule book of do as I say not as I do.  Where was the Maxwell clan when it came to assisting Steve’s mother as she declined with Altzheimers?  Where does Steve set forth in his Dad notes  how he honored amd respected indicatei

The house he purchased is almost identical to the Shupe..  It is your standard USA bi-level. You walk in a small foyer and either go up or down 6 steps.  

Many developers built a ton of these homes all over the country. Ryan and Ryland (two separate companies at that time) built them all over suburbia.  Some of these homes walk out in the back. While others were built into a hill with dirt pushed up on the foundation like John’s.  

They are a cheap house to build.  The foundation is the lower level so there is no basement.    Given the age of John’s home he has a lot of work ahead of him.  I think with John’s construction talents and Chelsy’s enthusiasm I think the house will be quite cute when they are done.  

If the two are smart they will blog to no end about every stage.  If they have enough likabilty they could be the next Chip & Joanna Gaines. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived