IGNORED

Dillards 43: Tweeting for God

samurai_sarah

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice - my daughter is a Honda fan (she and her boyf have three between them). She drives an Accord right now and I really like it. :)

so,  it seems obvious that Jill and Derick no longer reside at the pool house.  But my question is why?  How far is Cross Church from the TTH?  Why couldn't they stay in the pool house and Derick would commute?  Why, again, is inept and sheltered Jill separated from her family?  For most adults, this is a good thing, but Jill doesn't seem to thrive when she is away from the family.

Was the move required by Cross Church?  Or were Jill and Derick 'evicted' from the pool house by JimBoob?   How distant is Jinger really becoming from the rest of the family?  Not a single one of them could be bothered to go to the airport to meet them, but the whole family turns out to see Jill arrive after a fairly short absence? 

Something feels really off to me in terms of the family dynamic with the Dillards and to a lesser extent, the Vuolos.  I think that Derick's weirdness is felt by the rest of the family.  I don't get any hint at all that Derick has any sort of closeness with any of the Duggar siblings or  the other sons in law.  I think Jill is very much loved by her younger siblings from Joy down, but I don't think the girls, including Jana, in the first half are particularly close to her.  I am sure they love her and care for her and probably love Izzy and Samuel, but they don't seem to share a natural warmth between them. 

JB always seemed to favor Jill, and I wonder if that is true.  I am not sure why, but I just have this gut feeling, that JB is not pleased with how Derick is performing as headship.  I doubt he can admit that though since he set the two of them up.  And JB isn't very good at admitting when he was wrong. 

Not showing Samuel's birth, or even much about him since is also odd.  We still see Izzy but Samuel is nearly always missing and rarely mentioned.  If it were because they were wanting more privacy for their kids, I would be the first to cheer for that, but then we get Derick who is so attention seeking and Obnoxious that it seems to go in direct conflict with the idea they are pulling out of public life. 

Derick came off as kind of a quirky, hipster religious guy, that would maybe have brought some enlightenment into the family, and he turns out to be the worst.  More narrow minded, more idiotic than even JimBoob.  I suspect that Jeremy could give him a run for his money though as each time Jeremy tries to sound deep and philosophical in his theology he reveals ugliness in his beliefs. 

My only hope for Jeremy is that he is less 'married' to his nasty beliefs and may be more prone to the influence of mainstream culture and may perhaps be opportunistic enough to realize the only reason he and Jinger are interesting is because they appear to be more normal and less backward than the Duggars.  People love to see Jinger expanding her wings, and if Jeremy were savvy, he could parlay a steady move to more inclusive theology, and more open ideas into some serious success for them.  As it is now, he is so one note and overly convinced of his correctness that he just sounds like just about every other ultra conservative preacher in Texas, or in the south in general.    too bad, because he and Jinger would have made a handsome couple of SJW's that might have given them a comfy life and a nice level of fame for years to come. 

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@calimojo what are SJW’s?

Social Justice Warriors - basically sticking up for political correctness or other hot-button issues, but often in an attempt to personally benefit from showing "how much you care" about a certain topic.

Yes, Social Justice warrior.  I meant to convey that if Jer and Jing had broken away from the fundie mindset, they could actually accomplish something of importance.  They are young, photogenic and generally likable.  I think, that Jeremy is ambitious, but I also think he is very shortsighted.  Preachers of his ilk are a dime a dozen.  Jeremy would be more successful as a moderate or even liberal Christian.  Just breaking that far away from the Duggars would have been of big interest to many and would have given them an instant cache with many.  Instead he just seems content to follow the same stifled, and misguided religious beliefs of that patriarchal fundie culture. 

I don't know how sincere Jeremy is as a person in regards to his beliefs.  I think he does love Jinger, but he seems very into himself.  If he is ambitious for more, then I would think he would capitalize on the swell of empathy many who have followed the show for years have long felt for Jinger.  I would see this as an opportunity to take their religious affiliation in a different direction.  Jinger seems pretty willing to put much of her past behind her.  She doesn't seem to be suffering from any sort of culture shock so far from being away from the family.  And, I would venture a guess she would happily go for even more modernization and opportunity.  Now, Yes,  this is all speculation.  

I was feeling nostalgic for the late 80s /early 90s and was watching some Christian TV shows on youtube. Fire By Nite's  "Are We All Not Missionaries" has the cast doing some stuff in Guatemala and it made me think of the Dillards. 

here's a link to the episode www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb32HpKTGjc

On 20.10.2017 at 6:21 AM, Rachel333 said:

I'll admit I don't particularly like the idea of unisex bathrooms with multiple stalls. Especially not with American stalls that you can see right into! I also have talked to a couple women who are rape survivors who said that it's too triggering for them to take their pants off when men are in the room, which was an issue I hadn't considered until I talked to them.

I think the answer is unisex, single stall bathrooms. It solves the problem for people who don't fit neatly into the male/female bathroom categories and gives everyone privacy while they do what they need to do.

I went to a botanical garden that had a hall with ferns on the walls between nice, big, clean, unisex single-room bathrooms. I loved it. I have never before been so impressed by bathrooms!

20141120_inq_spotty20-a.JPG

All I see is spiders.,, Spiders everywhere...

6 hours ago, calimojo said:

so,  it seems obvious that Jill and Derick no longer reside at the pool house.  But my question is why?  How far is Cross Church from the TTH?  Why couldn't they stay in the pool house and Derick would commute?  Why, again, is inept and sheltered Jill separated from her family?  For most adults, this is a good thing, but Jill doesn't seem to thrive when she is away from the family.

Was the move required by Cross Church?  Or were Jill and Derick 'evicted' from the pool house by JimBoob?  

I don't know the reasons behind it, but the pool house was sold to Grandma Duggar in late June. There were a number of other inter-family property sales at the same time, including Jessa and Ben buying their house from Grandma Duggar.

I'm pretty sure the Dullards were still in the house after Grandma took ownership. I think the move came later in the summer, presumably after SOS likely dumped them for good and Derelict enrolled in the Cross Church program. 

We've seen the Cross Church application. It's not as if one has to take the GRE (or even the SAT) to be accepted. They just want your money. I seriously doubt that Cross Church is checking out Derelict as he does his "study" outside the one day a week he has class, aside that he's showing up, and Derelict is probably responsible for an activity check in online. Who's going to notice if he doesn't show up to C3 on Wednesday nights? He's not a college preacher; what does he really do there aside from take pictures? The foreign ministry? Again, he seems to show up and take pictures of parties. He's not LEADING anything. What kind of program is this? Oh yeah, a ripoff for fundie zealot suckers. 

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Again, he seems to show up and take pictures of parties. He's not LEADING anything. What kind of program is this?

For him, I believe it's a program to make it look like he's doing something productive.  Wouldn't be surprised if JB paid his way in.  For better or worse, and in this case I'd say worse, he's associated with the Duggars and their public image.  He left (or was asked to leave, or was fired) from Walmart, he left (by some means) from SOS, grifting doesn't appear to have been much of a success, he's pissing people off on Twitter, and it's unclear to me whether TLC wants him.  How is he planning to support his family?  I suppose this program he's in will give him some sort of credential...but for what?

He gets a certificate for something. No degrees or credits he can transfer to a real school. So, this is basically spinning his wheels bullshit. 

So the Duggars worship in a warehouse, but they get married in various churches and seem to be into this Cross Church. It's always confused me as to whether they believe in having church at home with daddy preaching or in going to a mega church. But now they call Kendra's dad pastor so... I guess they are moving away from that warehouse worship life? 

On 20.10.2017 at 8:02 PM, Scottie said:

I have mixed feelings when it comes to JB's potential feelings on the subject of Derick's proselytizing and hate speech on Twitter. I think its possible he's aware that Derick is receiving push back for his close-mindedness, and that people are viewing his family as hateful and deeply out of touch - and that it could be bad for business.  But I think its more or just as likely that JB is proud that Derick is a 'warrior for God' and showing people the light, speaking 'truth', etc.

JB might be proud of Derick for standing up for their hardcore fundamental believe. And maybe deep down inside JB really is a Christian, but most of the time the only God he worships is the gravy train provided by TLC. IMHO he'd do anything to keep that money coming.

9 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

I was feeling nostalgic for the late 80s /early 90s and was watching some Christian TV shows on youtube.

when I feel nostalgic about 80's television I watch commercials on you tube for the shows that were on in the eighties like Family Ties etc. :D

1 hour ago, nst said:

when I feel nostalgic about 80's television I watch commercials on you tube for the shows that were on in the eighties like Family Ties etc.

I totally do this too!  I watch the theme shows and every once in awhile look at the toys from that era.  Things have really changed.

p.s. I totally wanted to be Punky Brewster!

14 hours ago, calimojo said:

Was the move required by Cross Church?  Or were Jill and Derick 'evicted' from the pool house by JimBoob?   How distant is Jinger really becoming from the rest of the family?  Not a single one of them could be bothered to go to the airport to meet them, but the whole family turns out to see Jill arrive after a fairly short absence? 

Something feels really off to me in terms of the family dynamic with the Dillards and to a lesser extent, the Vuolos.  I think that Derick's weirdness is felt by the rest of the family.  I don't get any hint at all that Derick has any sort of closeness with any of the Duggar siblings or  the other sons in law.  I think Jill is very much loved by her younger siblings from Joy down, but I don't think the girls, including Jana, in the first half are particularly close to her.  I am sure they love her and care for her and probably love Izzy and Samuel, but they don't seem to share a natural warmth between them. 

JB always seemed to favor Jill, and I wonder if that is true.  I am not sure why, but I just have this gut feeling, that JB is not pleased with how Derick is performing as headship.  I doubt he can admit that though since he set the two of them up.  And JB isn't very good at admitting when he was wrong. 

Not showing Samuel's birth, or even much about him since is also odd.  We still see Izzy but Samuel is nearly always missing and rarely mentioned.  If it were because they were wanting more privacy for their kids, I would be the first to cheer for that, but then we get Derick who is so attention seeking and Obnoxious that it seems to go in direct conflict with the idea they are pulling out of public life. 

Derick came off as kind of a quirky, hipster religious guy, that would maybe have brought some enlightenment into the family, and he turns out to be the worst.  More narrow minded, more idiotic than even JimBoob.  I suspect that Jeremy could give him a run for his money though as each time Jeremy tries to sound deep and philosophical in his theology he reveals ugliness in his beliefs. 

My only hope for Jeremy is that he is less 'married' to his nasty beliefs and may be more prone to the influence of mainstream culture and may perhaps be opportunistic enough to realize the only reason he and Jinger are interesting is because they appear to be more normal and less backward than the Duggars.  People love to see Jinger expanding her wings, and if Jeremy were savvy, he could parlay a steady move to more inclusive theology, and more open ideas into some serious success for them.  As it is now, he is so one note and overly convinced of his correctness that he just sounds like just about every other ultra conservative preacher in Texas, or in the south in general.    too bad, because he and Jinger would have made a handsome couple of SJW's that might have given them a comfy life and a nice level of fame for years to come. 

I’ll try to answer what I can:

1. It’s possible Cross Church required it as part of the ministry program he’s doing. Or it may have been part of their volunteering with the C3 college program. Either way, they likely aren’t nearly as far away from TTH as they were in SCA and it’d be easy enough for Jill to see or talk with her family.

2. Multiple people have already pointed out that The Dills arrived back from SCA a week or two before Joy’s wedding. The Vuolos flew in the day before and immediately went to drop off the plates they brought for the rehearsal dinner. The combination of their errand and the fact that the rest of the family was likely busy with wedding prep that day is probably why the family didn’t meet them at the airport.

3. Not sure about how close the other siblings are with Jill. It’s possible your assessment is right - it’s also possible that things are perfectly fine too. Speaking generally, the Duggars aren’t naturally expressive people when it comes to their emotions, at least on camera. Add in the fact that The Dills don’t seem to have had entirely reliable communication methods in SCA and that could be part of the distance between Jill and the other older siblings you see.

See comments regularly on her siblings’ Instagram posts though and she (and Jessa) both said how much they miss Jinger too on a post Jinger recently made about how much she misses her sisters.

4. We have seen Samuel. They aren’t hiding him. Jill hasn’t posted on Instagram as often as she did when they first married for quite some time - but when she does post it’s usually about the boys, her family, or Cross Church. She doesn’t usually post anything outright offensive (though she likes some questionable stuff on Twitter.) Derick also posts about their family, but he also posts a lot about C3 and Cross Church. And don’t get me started on his twitter account...

The most recent photo of Samuel on Instagram (Derick’s account) was on October 17th, from their trip to DC with the Cross Church ministry program group. Most recent photo of Izzy was October 8, on Jill’s Instagram (the photo where Derick is standing away from the camera with Samuel looking over his shoulder and Izzy is sitting between his dad’s legs.)

5. They haven’t aired Samuel’s birth because they haven’t reached that point in the storyline yet. In real life, Samuel is three months old, but on the show Jill is still more than a month away from giving birth. It'd make no sense for them to skip ahead to show his birth and then rewind to cover wedding stuff, especially when you consider there was a four or five month gap between Henry’s birth and the airing of his birth episode. It’s possible they won’t air anything about it if there are questions of legalities or anyone getting into trouble - but there’s absolutely nothing weird about footage of his birth not being shown at this point. 

6. You can want more privacy for your children and still have active social media accounts. I rarely post about my baby on Facebook, but I’m on there quite a bit sharing news articles that interest me and staying updated on things going on with people I know. I don’t see anything weird or wrong about them scaling back on what they choose to share about their kids while maintaining their accounts for other purposes (mainly Derick. Jill hasn’t really changed what she shares, only how often she shares.) I do have a problem with what Derick chooses to focus on because he has disgusting beliefs, but that’s another matter. 

7. I think Jim Bob still holds the “Most Narrowminded and Idiotic,” title, at least among the fathers. As far as we know, Derick never concealed the sexual abuse of minors. Jim Bob did and he did so partly because of his narrowminded beliefs about law enforcement and purity culture. He’s also an idiot for allowing the Megyn Kelly interviews to happen. Derick has said and done a ton of really idiotic things and he holds some horrific beliefs, but I don’t think anything has really met the level that Jim Bob has attained. 

12 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

So the Duggars worship in a warehouse, but they get married in various churches and seem to be into this Cross Church. It's always confused me as to whether they believe in having church at home with daddy preaching or in going to a mega church. But now they call Kendra's dad pastor so... I guess they are moving away from that warehouse worship life? 

I think "home churching" may have been a bit of a fad in the fundie world. Believe it or not, A LOT of fundies had a major issues with it and found it unbiblical.  And while folks like Bill Gothard and Steve Maxwell pushed it, as their 15 minutes of Christ-honoring fame are ending, I think many of the faithful are quietly returning to more mainstream churches.  

Actual churches make much more practical sense for these folks.  For one, a mega family patriarch likely doesn't have much time to run a church AND support his family.  Church networks are GREAT for grifting/aid, so sacrificing them or making them smaller by home-churching is counterproductive to a lot of families.  Plus, even to fundies I think it is obvious that home-churching has contributed to young ladies especially being unable to find suitable spouses.  

But in terms of the Duggars specifically, I think that Cro$$ Church has been offering the Duggars some discount$ or deal$ to associate with them, especially in high-profile settings.  I think that Cross Church sees this as a clever promotional ploy, and from what I have heard about them, that appears to be right up their alley.  After all, the Duggars made their home church invite only because people were just showing up.  I think that's EXACTLY what Cross Church is hoping will happen to them.  

17 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

They ( Jim bob) like what they can control, I don't think they'd fit in at a regular church. 

I think it's deff for the show too because I feel like I see a microphone behind his back unless that's an awkward edit.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived