IGNORED

Safe at Home (Arndts) 3: No penguins were harmed in the making of this thread

samurai_sarah

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

I would recommend them for wedding or engagement photo sessions. Their style is modern and shockingly not fundie.

They are very talented when it comes to taking photos. 

On 2/6/2018 at 9:55 AM, Howl said:

Darn it! Every. single. time I see a new post on the Arndts - a frisson, a shiver of anticipation, a quiver of the uvula, a skipped heartbeat, an inexplicable chill at the nape of the neck, an odd tic - I experience all of those things simultaneously, hoping that maybe, just maybe, this is the time when someone will post that there's a little bit of action on the part of at least one man child at the Arndt borg collective.  But no.  It's like Charlie Brown and Lucy and the football. 

You summed it up perfectly.  Hopes dashed again.....

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

You summed it up perfectly.  Hopes dashed again.....

It's never going to happen.  Expect Vine Valley updates for at least the next 10 years.....

On 2/6/2018 at 8:55 AM, Howl said:

a quiver of the uvula

My uvula is all atwitter when this thread has new posts.  I admit it.

I think it's possible that some of the younger boys will date and marry eventually -- but not the 5 or 6 oldest ones (certainly not the 2 oldest boys) and probably not Wizzie.  I can't see Rick /Cathy ever allowing her to date anyone.

My thought is that the older perennial bachelors will encourage the younger ones to get out, experience the world, and have their own lives.  A "don't be like us" lesson.  Because seriously someone (s) is going to have to support those mooching parents for the rest of their lives and it's going to fall on the oldest sons.

There are moments when I think why haven't any of those boys said 'screw it, I'm outta here'  and just packed up and left.  I keep coming back to 1) they are seriously brainwashed, 2) they are drugged, or 3) they are terrified what Rick will do if one or more of them leaves.

I maintain, not in a snarky way, that Rick has so many of the signs of a family annihilator and the boys stay to keep his craziness at bay and protect their siblings.

I agree that something will happen - but only because we all must die at some point.

Rick clearly has no plans to do so any time soon but he's in his 60's now.  What happens when the parental units are gone, or too old or ill to run the show?

I'm fairly sure that Vine Valley and the endless softball during the spring, summer and fall are both Rick's things primarily, if not only.  Aside from Nathan, I don't see a lot of enthusiasm among the boys about the film and at some point they must get so tired of playing double headers every night.  So even if one of the older ones tries to replicate Rick's control, I don't necessarily see it working.  Rick is that... unique.

Its sad to think that they may only get a chance to have lives once their father is out of the picture (I'm not one who thinks Cathy is a major driver here.  She's totally submissive to Rick) but it's looking like that may be how it's going to go.

1 hour ago, JesusPony said:

Cathy is so fit, I'll bet she outlives a few of her man-children. Bleak.

She is in great shape for her age but especially considering the number of kids she has birthed.   And Rick looks pretty good and healthy (well at least physically speaking) so both parents could be around for a very long time.   I gotta wonder if any of the manboys realize that if they have to wait for Mom and Dad to pass before they can live their lives that waiting is not measured in months or years, but decades.  And of course there is the possibility that Mom and Dad could outlive them.   That sobering thought should be enough (it certainly was for me) for them to get out and start living their own lives but they haven't.  Why?

On 2/18/2018 at 9:44 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

There are moments when I think why haven't any of those boys said 'screw it, I'm outta here'  and just packed up and left.  I keep coming back to 1) they are seriously brainwashed, 2) they are drugged, or 3) they are terrified what Rick will do if one or more of them leaves.

I am inclined towards no. 1 or no. 3 but it's probably a combination of both.   They have to be seriously brainwashed but if any of them have thoughts that maybe life is passing them by while they are safe at home then it probably comes down to fear of what may happen if they leave.  It might not be anything earth shattering in our view, but in this enmeshed, over involved family, any sort of separation, while healthy for the manboy finally getting his own life, may just be seen as a betrayal, as abandonment.   These kids have been groomed to put their family first and foremost, seemingly to the detriment of other relationships.  They may not know what to do with themselves outside of confines of the family.  

One of my pet theories about the SAH boys is that Rick has them convinced he has a terminal illness, one that keeps him from working, but for which there is no treatment.

4 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

One of my pet theories about the SAH boys is that Rick has them convinced he has a terminal illness, one that keeps him from working, but for which there is no treatment.

Or the "treatment" is to work on Vine Valley, which gives Rick something to live for, and furthermore, stumbling through the woods is good exercise.  Besides, everyone needs to rally around Dad in this project because he may not be around next year. 

This year Arndt #13 will turn 18. All Arndts but ONE will be single adults living at home. 

Jesus Penguin Christ that's sad. 

11 hours ago, gustava said:

He could live ... and be healthy....for another 20 years.

30 years even.  And as long as he lives and is well enough to control things, nothing will change.

Well, softball may morph into something more geriatric, but that's about it.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

This year Arndt #13 will turn 18. All Arndts but ONE will be single adults living at home.

Oh my! HOW can this not be noticed as odd? Hasn't anyone ever said anything about this to the manboys? They do get to leave the family compound and associate with people who are not "like minded" regarding staying at home until marriage. (Although in the case of the Arndts I think even if a miracle occurred and one got married he'd remain on the property, at the very least.) It's hard to believe that the Arndts don't hear repeated comments from others about their living situation. Repeated  negative comments about still being at home. It's weird. 

There are TWELVE adult children still at home, soon to be thirteen.  I just can't comprehend this. Nor can I understand how Rick and Cathy want all those kids to stay at home. I enjoy being an empty nester. Way less work! And I enjoy just being home with my husband. How on earth can they just love having all those sons still living at home? We see at least one our kids nearly every day as they live in the area, but to have them still living her in their 20s and 30s? NO. Just no. 

Rick and Cathy like all the kids around because all the boys who can be working are working. And pouring money into the household coffers.

It's so much easier to support everyone when you have 6-8 people bringing money in.  Eventually every child except Wizzie will be working and supporting the family.

Wizzie, of course, is relegated to being the sister mom and will eventually assume all of the "mom" role.

I've always thought that if the youngest reaches 20 without any of them leaving, then none of them will ever leave. 

I'm beginning to think, though, something may give, at least with the younger ones, when the eldest turns 40. That could be a wake-up call. 

I hope, anyways. 

I can't believe that all but one will be an adult this year. :( Rick and Cathy are horrible parents! 

2 hours ago, Letgo said:

Oh my! HOW can this not be noticed as odd? Hasn't anyone ever said anything about this to the manboys? They do get to leave the family compound and associate with people who are not "like minded" regarding staying at home until marriage. (Although in the case of the Arndts I think even if a miracle occurred and one got married he'd remain on the property, at the very least.) It's hard to believe that the Arndts don't hear repeated comments from others about their living situation. Repeated  negative comments about still being at home. It's weird. 

There are TWELVE adult children still at home, soon to be thirteen.  I just can't comprehend this. Nor can I understand how Rick and Cathy want all those kids to stay at home. I enjoy being an empty nester. Way less work! And I enjoy just being home with my husband. How on earth can they just love having all those sons still living at home? We see at least one our kids nearly every day as they live in the area, but to have them still living her in their 20s and 30s? NO. Just no. 

They do actually interact with non fundies. They travel to photograph weddings and I would say the large majority are not fundie weddings. They also play softball All summer long and interact with non fundies there as well. They have met plenty of people to possibly date. There are many theories. 

I really am amazed that none of the boys have gotten married. They seem to me to be a good catch for any girl. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They do actually interact with non fundies. They travel to photograph weddings and I would say the large majority are not fundie weddings. They also play softball All summer long and interact with non fundies there as well. They have met plenty of people to possibly date. There are many theories. 

jTheory: Cathy puts saltpeter in their food.

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I can't believe that all but one will be an adult this year. :( Rick and Cathy are horrible parents! 

I swear the Arndts will go down as one of life's biggest unsolved mysteries. I hear Robert Stack's voice now...

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived