IGNORED

Let there be music-NOT

NewOrleansLady

DFO posted a photo of Meredith at the piano and said she might be a concert pianist. Just like Aunt Jana (they didn’t say that).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/10/2017 at 10:28 PM, Jenn The Heathen said:

My 9 year old just started playing the saxophone in school, so this has been a disturbing conversation....

My upstairs neighbour's child got a recorder from school and I heard the same five lines of a song every day for two years.

Not a prodigy, apparently. (He is an amazing singer  however)

My Mum went to an evangelical church for a few years, she liked the christian music and would play it loud in the car with the windows down. It was not a good look for teenager me!

Fortunately I stayed at my dad's every weekend so didn't go to church with her , on the couple of occasions II did it was painful to listen to.

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

DFO posted a photo of Meredith at the piano and said she might be a concert pianist. Just like Aunt Jana (they didn’t say that).

Well, I guess it's possible IF one or both parents have an income that will support several thousand dollars a year in lessons from one or more competent teachers from early childhood all the way through high school, followed by four to six years of an  expensive conservatory education, AND if Meredith is excused from enough chores to allow her to practice hours a day on top of maintaining her academics to qualify for admission into the aforementioned expensive conservatory, AND if she is encouraged to enter competitions and seek out performance opportunities in front of the larger world in order to challenge her to reach her highest possible level....

Oh.

On 10/13/2017 at 11:40 PM, grandmadugger said:

I have always wondered why violins. Why not guitar or fiddle? Both are used in hymns and commonly seen in baptist church services. Plus there are tons of talented people playing those instruments in their area. 

Speaking from IFBx not ATI/IBLP background, but guitars and fiddle generally went with twangy, southern gospel that made you want to tap your foot and that was NOT acceptable. I have been surprised at some of what the Bates played, especially Lawson's latest with actual drums. Wouldn't have passed music check in several of the churches I know.

On 10/18/2017 at 10:01 PM, Shadoewolf said:

Umm the one song I remember is "Breakfast"? So guess its very old Newsboys!

I'm not gonna lie - I still have that song on my phone. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can't screencap things on my Kindle, but it seems like some of the kids are still getting music lessons. Jackson and Johannah had a piano recital the other night. 

A video from Jessa's IG story:

http://keepingupwithfundies.tumblr.com/post/167653516290/seewald-and-duggar-family-at-johanna-and-jacksons

And some pictures:

http://keepingupwithfundies.tumblr.com/post/167653540039

• 3 weeks later...

Back to ABRSM etc, I really wish we did those in the states. I am training to be an opera singer but having other skills are great. Graded exams are wonderful because they show just how proficient you are at something, up to a certain point. 

As a side note, if anyone knows a great piano teacher in NYC who does ABRSM or ABRSM style exam teaching DM me, I'm in the market. 

Archived