IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 2: WTF is Happening, In More Ways than One

FundieFarmer

42 minutes ago, Howl said:

Speaking of Vesta, will she have any influence at Ligonier now that Senior has passed? 

She was on the payroll as of 2015 & would bet that hasn't changed, whatever else might be different.

IIRC, she & RC Sr and other family members, have occupied some very nice real estate over the years which is held in the name of the ministry. Would guess that she has a life interest in that residential property. 

Interesting that the "ministry" activities are 501(c)(3) entities but they didn't bother to accredit that fake university.

Tells you what their priorities are - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (jesus) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

IIRC, she & RC Sr and other family members, have occupied some very nice real estate over the years which is held in the name of the ministry. Would guess that she has a life interest in that residential property. 

Meh.  The Sproul Seniors may have paid themselves in excess of 320K and occupied church property but they are far behind some other Evangelists on conspicuous consumption.  The Sproul seniors and Vesta are amateurs compared to Jan Crouch, et al.

I did mention to Mr. P that I think he should tell his employer that I need to be paid 81K a year for being a director of our household and assistant to the chair just for being married to him.  He rolled his eyes severely.  And they don't even give us a free place to live!

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Interesting that the "ministry" activities are 501(c)(3) entities but they didn't bother to accredit that fake university.

Heavens, no.  They wouldn't want anyone to look too closely at the fake university.  Or the "rigor" of the curriculum.  They do say this:

RBC has worked to develop solid relationships with several leading seminaries in the United States. These seminaries have been impressed by the caliber of our students and the rigor of our curriculum. They have agreed to honor our students’ RBC credentials for application to their programs.”

Isn't that sweet?   Isn't it also adorable that they don't name the "leading seminaries?"

Fools and their money ...

Our curriculum is intensely focused on equipping you to fulfill the highest vocation, knowing God

Translation: Pay us a lot of money and you won't be able to do much except maybe recite some Bible verses. Good luck on getting a paying job. 

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Meh.  The Sproul Seniors may have paid themselves in excess of 320K and occupied church property but they are far behind some other Evangelists on conspicuous consumption.  The Sproul seniors and Vesta are amateurs compared to Jan Crouch, et al.

Yep, the Sprouls are pikers compared to other Christianists you've named & we've snarked on.

It's hard for me to see the Sprouls, especially RC Sr, as anything  but grifters & hucksters. According to his obit, RC Sr thought that "abortion is perhaps the crucial ethical issue of our time." 

Really? He saw NOTHING else that an ethical Christian might concern herself with, like poverty & hunger or the least of these. Unbelievable but perhaps not surprising.

It always strikes me how ironic and yet ironically appropriate it is that Mrs Sproul name is Vesta. 

Vesta was  the Roman pagan goddess of hearth and home whose priestesses swore to stay virgin and and to keep her sacred fire always lit.

17 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

You mean the Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological $tudies, INC. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Spanky and Lisa are posting meme after meme on their FB page, "signed" by them both. You know, like they're running a ministry or something. 

Mark my words, now that the old man's dead Spanky will attempt a comeback. 

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Mark my words, now that the old man's dead Spanky will attempt a comeback. 

Hate to say it but you're probably correct.

How many former leghumpers will welcome him back with open arms?

Among the memes, they've also been posting links to what amounts to a blog, on on Google Docs. Very random, but since it's public (and you can detect incoming links), here's a link to one: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTkzwdKdOg-T9lgY6sbyifLHl5V13LIVh4ZZc0rpi6Cdzk-NW5uuL86_tghcjMPqQGL6kZNsNeFe1QJ/pub  

That's random enough, but at the end of most of them, Lisa includes this signature: 

"Lisa C. Sproul, is the devoted wife to R.C. Sproul Jr. She resides with her husband and 5 of their 13 children in Fort Wayne, IN. She is the founder of The Purpose Driven Wife.  She is also a nutritionist and  the founder of  Wellness Solutions Clinical Nutritional Therapy."

Lots of which I say "whaaaaat?!?" But um... "The Purpose Driven Wife?" I've Googled (and I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff) and found nothing linking her to whatever it is that was founded. (Maybe a Facebook Group? Or upcoming book?) 

Well, I answered my own question. I did find a Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/The-Purpose-Driven-Wife-132269124115308/

47 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Hate to say it but you're probably correct.

How many former leghumpers will welcome him back with open arms?

Wish I could say “none” but there are too many out there who ate up his teachings with a spoon and enjoyed the whole beer-whiskey-cigars thing.

Well, I answered my own question. I did find a Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/The-Purpose-Driven-Wife-132269124115308/

That’s GOT to be some kind of copyright violation of the Purpose Driven Life, doesn’t it? Seems just a SMIDGE too similar.

ETA: doesn’t look like RC was a big fan of The Purpose Driven Life, either.

https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/christian-loses-his-burden/

And start the count down for a cease and desist order from Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, if Lisa tries to monetize this. 

ETA:  @bea, we were posting at the same time on this. It does seem utterly brazen. 

Wait I’ve forgotten. What does the C stand for in her name? RCJR & LC Sproul is...something.

Wait I’ve forgotten. What does the C stand for in her name? RCJR & LC Sproul is...something.

Crazy.
The C is for crazy.
(Sorry, it was just too easy.)

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Darby is "offering mentorships" as a personal growth coach. 

Itsounds as though she got some push back (now deleted) on her hubris.  From the comments:

XXXXXXXXXX: Sounds like those people who didn't want to pay for your mentorship 

It also sounds small business orientated rather than personal growth. 

Mentorships will run for 3 months. You can pay monthly, or save a little if you pay up front.

What do you get? You'll get two 10 minute phone or video calls with me each month, a private Facebook group where I will share tips, encouragement, and advice, and (likely the best deal here) unlimited Facebook messenger support! I'll be in your pocket whenever you need me. I will also offer you homework and challenges, to push you to the next level.

How much does it cost?

The cost is $39 per month, or if you pay up front, $107.

My first thought was that almost $2 a minute for 2 phone calls was too steep.  Then I noticed the private Facebook group and "unlimited" messenger support.  And is she going to grade their homework?

Not a good business plan Darcy, dear.  A single very needy mentee messaging you 20+ times a day would be bad enough.  Think if you got three or four like that!

Pay $39/month for extremely severely limited personal contact with your mentor!  Remember, that's TWO 10-minute phone calls/month!  Hurry, this offer won't last long! 

ETA: What is it exactly the Darby sells (other than "mentoring")?

46 minutes ago, Howl said:

ETA: What is it exactly the Darby sells (other than "mentoring")?

Second hand clothing - Darby's Dresses.  And see my comment on the "unlimited" messaging above.

If she did "six figures in 2017", wouldn't she be really, really busy with that, like to the point where she wouldn't have time for this mentorship thing? I mean, really: think about how much used clothing you'd have to sell to hit six figures. 

Plus, you wouldn't want other people to have access to that EXACT business model, who might then become your competitor. 

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

If she did "six figures in 2017", wouldn't she be really, really busy with that, like to the point where she wouldn't have time for this mentorship thing? I mean, really: think about how much used clothing you'd have to sell to hit six figures. 

Darby-think:  Six figures = $1,000.00

FJ-think: Six figures = $100,000.00

Just a thought.

Her website claims she's sold over 5000 dresses so she might have reached six figures gross. I joined the online group to scope out the prices. I'll report back if she accepts me, it's a closed group. 

Update, clothes are seriously boring and frumpy, not displayed particularly well, and not anything special brand-wise. Lots of H&M and Target brands and the like. Average price is $15 for a shirt or sweater including shipping. I don't get it. Lots of fundies doing the buying but not exclusively.

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

Average price is $15 for a shirt or sweater including shipping.

That's a pretty good mark-up for used clothing, given Darby's policy on buying clothes:

At present our prices are $2 for tops and skirts, $3 for dresses, and $1 for accessories. We also offer a store credit towards shipping costs if you send us more than 10 items, and we pay .75 more per item if you accept store credit instead of cash.

Wonder how many of her customers have purchased the subscription boxes, which could add up to a nice chunk of change?

Darby always came across as an intelligent young woman, but also very smug at the same time. I can see that relying on one income might be tough for her growing family, but WTF she could get a JOB and put her degree to a good use (if it has any use in the real world) or just stop having babies. But offering mentoring? Come on, how much holier than the rest of us can she possibly feel?? And the worst thing is that are probably a few fundie maidens that will buy into that BS.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived