IGNORED

Harvey Weinstein the Sexual Harasser

OtterRuletheWorld

Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades

Spoiler

Two decades ago, the Hollywood  Harvey Weinstein invited Ashley Judd to the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for what the young actress expected to be a business breakfast meeting. Instead, he had her sent up to his room, where he appeared in a bathrobe and asked if he could give her a massage or she could watch him shower, she recalled in an interview.

“How do I get out of the room as fast as possible without alienating Harvey Weinstein?” Ms. Judd said she remembers thinking.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy is a complete pig. Just another asshole man, treating women like dirt.  Nobody should ever be put in a position where they feel they need to allow this treatment to get ahead in the workplace. Hollywood has such a huge influence on America and even the rest of the world.  It is really shitty when a man with this much power is behaving like such a pig.

Good. It’s the least that disgusting pig deserves.
(Apologies to actual pigs for grouping him in with you.)
Now you made me feel bad for calling him a pig. I love pigs. He is vomit.

18 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

This guy is disgusting. Why has it taken so long for this to come to light!?

It's the question all thoughtful people are asking.  He has obviously been enabled to a stunning degree for many, many years, by people who knew what was going on and turned a blind eye. 

His wife is leaving him. Shocking.

1 hour ago, Howl said:

It's the question all thoughtful people are asking.  He has obviously been enabled to a stunning degree for many, many years, by people who knew what was going on and turned a blind eye. 

Also makes you wonder who else is turning a blind eye to whom/what.

9 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

His wife is leaving him. Shocking.

I just came to post this.  Early on (a few days ago) she was going to stand steadfastly by his side.  

They have two young-ish children, the oldest being 7 or so.  

Rose McGowan's Twitter is on fire about this.  It's definitely worth a read through.

RoseMcGowan

Rose has been voicing these allegations for years and Ronan Farrow has been investigating.  #ROSEARMY

Ronan Farrow's New Yorker Article

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-overtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories

And well this is interesting.  Farrow was supposed to do that for NBC - but someone tried to can it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-nbc-killed-ronan-farrows-weinstein-expose

And Matt Damon helped kill the story. This news has been out there for a couple days now.

Report: Matt Damon Helped Kill Earlier New York Times Story About Harvey Weinstein

Rose McGowan's twitter WAS on fire.

Jeff Bezos is even being called out. Meanwhile, Harvey has left to Europe. Europe also doesn't need his disgusting and slimy self.

I also saw something last night that said that Gwynnth Paltrow had an incident with Weinstein back in the mid 90's when she was dating Brad Pitt and Pitt went to the jerk and threatened him.  Also that Angelina Jolie got creeped on at one point.  

The Farrow piece identifies Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette among an entire list.  

Ben Affleck is looking like a major asshole right now too.  Did he really think writing about his disgust was going to make him look good and women would cover for him?  Well, yes, I suppose he did.  What a loser!

5 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

And Matt Damon helped kill the story. This news has been out there for a couple days now.

Report: Matt Damon Helped Kill Earlier New York Times Story About Harvey Weinstein

Rose McGowan's twitter WAS on fire.

Jeff Bezos is even being called out. Meanwhile, Harvey has left to Europe. Europe also doesn't need his disgusting and slimy self.

While I get and agree with all of the outrage when everyone starts to pile on I always get suspicious.

All of the women who are now claiming they are victims kept quiet and continued to make money and allow others to be abused.  These were not brow beat children who didn't know better.  These were women - some young women but women just the same - that knew better and kept quiet not for their safety but to safeguard their money and/or future career.  In my mind that means you sold out other women and allowed them to be subjected to the same thing. Not to save your life but to save your pocketbook. And that's not noble.

Rose McGowan supposedly took money from him  to keep quiet-- if that's true in my mind you are not much better than a man who took money (in the form of a job) and kept quiet.  Both enabled him to keep going.  Both didn't want to risk their careers.  That's a selfish reason to let a predator continue. I'm not giving anyone a pass for protecting their pocketbook over someone else's well being. Man or woman.

The writer of the previous New York Times story reportedly backs up Matt Damon's claim that he did not talk to her about killing the story.  He claims it was in regard to the professionalism of some one He and Harvey worked with.  I don't know if its true or not but if the writer of the article is backing him up her voice should be given some credibility and not just brushed aside.

Waxman confirms Damon's account of NY Times conversation

All in all its not a good look for anyone in Hollywood...  I think the only heroes are The New Yorker and their writer....

Speaking of Ronan Farrow, does anyone actually believe that Woody Allen is his father? Other than being blonde, he's a spitting image of _____________________.

Spoiler

Frank Sinatra, Mia Farrow's ex husband.

37 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

Speaking of Ronan Farrow, does anyone actually believe that Woody Allen is his father? Other than being blonde, he's a spitting image of _____________________.

Hide contents

Hell no!  I get that they are doing the deny, deny, deny thing but that is Frank Sinatra's kid!!!!

21 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Ben Affleck is looking like a major asshole right now too.  Did he really think writing about his disgust was going to make him look good and women would cover for him?  Well, yes, I suppose he did.  What a loser!

Just like his brother, Casey Affleck. 

I hope this leads to other big wig industry take-downs. I doubt Weinstein is the only perv in the Hollywood.....

2 minutes ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Just like his brother, Casey Affleck. 

I hope this leads to other big wig industry take-downs. I doubt Weinstein is the only perv in the Hollywood.....

I hope so too, and it already seems there are murmurings of Dan Schneider, which isn't a new rumor.

20 hours ago, uselesstrivia said:

While I get and agree with all of the outrage when everyone starts to pile on I always get suspicious.

All of the women who are now claiming they are victims kept quiet and continued to make money and allow others to be abused.  These were not brow beat children who didn't know better.  These were women - some young women but women just the same - that knew better and kept quiet not for their safety but to safeguard their money and/or future career.  In my mind that means you sold out other women and allowed them to be subjected to the same thing. Not to save your life but to save your pocketbook. And that's not noble.

Rose McGowan supposedly took money from him  to keep quiet-- if that's true in my mind you are not much better than a man who took money (in the form of a job) and kept quiet.  Both enabled him to keep going.  Both didn't want to risk their careers.  That's a selfish reason to let a predator continue. I'm not giving anyone a pass for protecting their pocketbook over someone else's well being. Man or woman.

The writer of the previous New York Times story reportedly backs up Matt Damon's claim that he did not talk to her about killing the story.  He claims it was in regard to the professionalism of some one He and Harvey worked with.  I don't know if its true or not but if the writer of the article is backing him up her voice should be given some credibility and not just brushed aside.

Waxman confirms Damon's account of NY Times conversation

All in all its not a good look for anyone in Hollywood...  I think the only heroes are The New Yorker and their writer....

More women came forward when this was brought to light. I am not sure what you are suspicious of. That this is part of a greater conspiracy and these women are not victims?

I understand your thought process, but these women had their careers on the line. Big deal careers that are incredibly competitive. Calling them selfish doesn't make Weinstein any less guilty.  I am sure these settlements were with big time lawyers saying "Take the money, don't say anything, or we will retaliate." along with the fact that they were probably worried their case would go nowhere if they didn't take the hush money, nothing would come of it, and any chance of a Hollywood career would be non-existent.  There are men and women (and children!) who are afraid to come forward about sexual abuse for various reasons. Does that mean their being victims isn't worthy of outrage? I call bullshit on that.  I think this is less a case of "looking the other way" and more of a case of feeling that something important to them was threatened. Rose McGowan's Twitter was temporarily suspended because of all of this. So, even if you didn't find it to be "noble" because she has 'reaped the benefits' of her sexual abuse (typing that is painful) she has come forward now. Other's have come forward now. Maybe that isn't "noble" but it doesn't eliminate the fact that Harvey Weinstein is a dirtbag.

Yes, it would have been best if these women came forward, but the fact that this wasn't a thing until now should speak volumes about how the elite who are doing terrible things can and will get away with it. I am doubtful that others who have such power and knew him well had no idea about how horrible he is.

18 hours ago, anniebgood said:

Reveal hidden contents

I seem to recall Mia Farrow saying that she wasn’t exactly sure who Ronan’s biological father was. Nancy Sinatra has also said on the record that she has always considered Ronan to be a brother to her, which seems to be implying that the Sinatras assume he’s one of them. 

On topic, I think this Weinstein expose is only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Sexual harassment is baked into the Hollywood system. Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, and Shirley Temple all reported being sexual harassed/groped by studio brass as tweens and teens, and I’m sure there were many others we don’t know about. While Cory Feldman does not always seem like a reliable narrator, I think his assertations about Hollywood having a pedophilia problem ring true. If A Hollywood honcho felt like he could expose himself to a twelve year old Shirley Temple in the 1940s when she was still America’s favorite little girl, why should we expect that their modern descendants aren’t doing the same or worse?

29 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I seem to recall Mia Farrow saying that she wasn’t exactly sure who Ronan’s biological father was. Nancy Sinatra has also said on the record that she has always considered Ronan to be a brother to her, which seems to be implying that the Sinatras assume he’s one of them. 

On topic, I think this Weinstein expose is only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Sexual harassment is baked into the Hollywood system. Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, and Shirley Temple all reported being sexual harassed/groped by studio brass as tweens and teens, and I’m sure there were many others we don’t know about. While Cory Feldman does not always seem like a reliable narrator, I think his assertations about Hollywood having a pedophilia problem ring true. If A Hollywood honcho felt like he could expose himself to a twelve year old Shirley Temple in the 1940s when she was still America’s favorite little girl, why should we expect that their modern descendants aren’t doing the same or worse?

This is exactly what so many people are now realizing. Hollywood has a history of sexual abuse. This certainly didn't begin here and it certainly doesn't stop here. Weinstein paying these women out 100k is nothing to him. He was making so much more than that off their stardom, so he just tossed them some extra money.

@uselesstriviaVictim blaming is never ok, regardless of who the victims are. And yes, questioning why a victim failed to speak out earlier is very much victim blaming. 

That said, I agree that people may have jumped the gun concerning Matt Damon. His story sounds plausible enough and, as you said, his recollection of the conversation was confirmed by the reporter. I am willing, for the moment, to give him the benefit of the doubt that he honestly didn’t realize what the article was focused on and that he truly thought he was doing the right thing at the time. 

Ben Affleck continues to be a douchebag though. Two women have now come forward about Ben groping them - actress Hilarie Burton, who says he groped her breast while they were filming TRL in the early 2000s (and there’s video dating from back then that backs it up), and makeup artist Annmarie Tendler, who says he groped her at a 2014 party (no video, but a writer for Broad City - I think - was at the same party and said she had friends who had similar experiences that night.)

1 hour ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

Rose McGowan's Twitter was temporarily suspended because of all of this. So, even if you didn't find it to be "noble" because she has 'reaped the benefits' of her sexual abuse (typing that is painful) she has come forward now. Other's have come forward now. Maybe that isn't "noble" but it doesn't eliminate the fact that Harvey Weinstein is a dirtbag.

Yes, it would have been best if these women came forward, but the fact that this wasn't a thing until now should speak volumes about how the elite who are doing terrible things can and will get away with it. I am doubtful that others who have such power and knew him well had no idea about how horrible he is.

Rose McGowan's twitter was suspended because she released someone's private number.  Once she removed the tweet the suspension was removed.  That got lost in all her "dark forces rhetoric". Am I am not saying dark forces are not at work - especially in Hollywood but people - yes women too - need to take responsibility for their role in creating problem or at least allowing them to grow when you could have done your part to help and did not.  Rose McGowan was not a small child afraid for her safety she was a grown woman afraid for her paycheck. If I get harassed or assaulted at work I am afraid for my job and paycheck as well but I am not going to allow that to let me sit back and do nothing.  Her career is not more valuable just because she is famous. If she feels she made a mistake or a bad decision by taking the money back or signing the non disclosure  then I can't tell by all of her speechifying. My career is big time to me but my life and the life of those that might follow me are more important than my career and hers.  There is a model who participated in a sting when she was harassed by Weinstein - the prosecutors backed down but she did what she could to combat it. She was young as well - I am sure she was fearful and  worried about her career but she did what she could to stop it. I am sure she could have maybe had a bigger career had she just shut up about it.  Maybe, maybe not but she made a choice. She should be one of the heroes of this story but everywhere I turn its Rose McGowan out front- why is that?

McGowan is very loud now but when pressed  for Farrow's article she backed down because she took the settlement and signed the disclosure.  It was short sighted on her part but she protected herself and her career. That was her choice - I just personally feel it  wasn't the right one.  There are some individuals in this mess that are total victims, I don't think she is one of them.  I would have more respect if she had come out and said "This is what I did when it happened to me.  I was scared - I wish I was stronger then but I am now and this is how I am going to help going forward" and when she found out why her twitter was suspended she should have said - "oops my bad.  I was mad and got carried away....." But to my knowledge she has not done that on either count.  She was very seriously wronged.  But she is the wrong spokesperson in my opinion for these reasons -- and so are all the other folks who turned a blind eye to save their careers - male or female.  Brad Pitt worked with Weinstein after the incident with Gweneth Paltrow - he's culpable too in my opinion.. I am sure there are tons more.

I agree Weinstein is a dirt bag and deserves all that is coming to him.  That is not in dispute in any way.  Ditto Ben Affleck who I always thought was gross.  He tried to throw dirt on Weinstein's house when his house is not clean and it came back to bite him.  And he is not alone.   I think everyone involved needs to own their piece - everyone.

In general I think Hollywood is full of folks who sacrificed other folks along the way to save their own careers -  this story is full of so many sad and scary examples of them but be sure there are  more...

Archived