IGNORED

Lori Alexander 31: The Viral Godly Tudor

I am so tired of Lori's misinterpretation of Genesis 3:16. How she gets what she does out of '...her desire shall be for her husband..." is beyond me. I may be interpreting it wrong myself, but I look at it as having almost a sexual meaning: that in spite of the pains and dangers of childbirth, and in spite of the fact that he 'rules' over her (the wording of the translation I just read), she still wants him, still desires him, still longs for him. It does NOT mean she desires to rule over him. 

A classic case of Lori adding to scripture what is simply not there, to suit her own purposes. :my_angry:

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her fangirls are so holier-than-thou and trying to out-poverty each other that it has just become a joke, especially since they are doing this for the approval of someone in a million dollar house (reminds me of Trump's followers....).

A few years ago, my entire department at work was downsized, so we decided that I would be a SAHM for a while.  I enjoy it, but will need to go back to work soon.  Some of her opinions and suggestions about saving money might actually be more expensive when you combine cost of materials and the time required, especially if the goal is to spend all the time with the kids.  If a person enjoys it, that's one thing, but if they are doing it just to appear frugal and holy, it can be a bit self-defeating.  For instance, many clothing stores currently have clearance racks to get rid of all of the summer clothes so they have room to bring out the winter clothes, and you can find great deals if you try.  I was recently at a nearby large mall and stopped into Macy's.  They had many clearance racks for 70% to 80% off, and I found a pair of black capri jeans on sale for less than $10.  I don't know what it would cost to make them since I can't sew to save my life, but I can't imagine it would be much cheaper.  I buy many of my teenagers' clothes at Old Navy.  They always have clothes on sale, and have coupon/Super Cash programs to get a discount on a later purchase.  Kohls has a similar program.  Both places are inexpensive but have clothes that teenagers like, and it's easy to work their coupon systems.  I know that Walmart is not great for most clothes, but they have cheap shorts that are fine.  Anyway, my point is that it is possible to buy things inexpensively and might not be worth making it yourself when you factor in the time and effort required (unless you enjoy it and/or it's a hobby).

It breaks my heart to see the way those “Christian” women respond when someone lays it out like the commenter who said that God provided her with a job and then blessed them in unexpected ways. These women have such vehemence towards women who work outside the home. These women don’t have any control in the home so they spew it outwards on those that believe differently. Sometimes, I think they are jealous. 

A sermon we had about 18 or so months ago was about the division within the church and the way Christians behave, calling out others based on perceived sins etc.  Essentially, the sermon said this: if I feel so passionately about something I perceive as a sin or wrong, I should enter into prayer and self reflection (the plank in my eye). If the feeling still exists and it’s someone I know, I reach out to that person- in a supportive relationship maintaining way. If that person isn’t receptive- or it’s someone I don’t know, I merely pray. 

I wish I could gather all of their targets up and show them that’s not how it’s supposed to be- to cheer them on and encourage them. 

I just can’t with Lori today, tomorrow, EVER. UGH. She creates such an atmosphere of hate and intolerance, and claims to do so in God’s name. It is truly truly despicable and I am going to vomit if I ever see the word “viral” again...

9 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Lori looks at Gen. 3:16 as prescriptive for life.  But it isn't. It's descriptive of life after the fall  not God's plan  

https://www.cbeinternational.org/blogs/does-genesis-1-3-teach-hierarchy

True. But  I still can't for the life of me figure out how she interprets that one phrase to mean 'to rule over him.' I should probably give up; trying to figure Lori out makes my brain hurt. :my_confused:

12 minutes ago, Loveday said:

True. But  I still can't for the life of me figure out how she interprets that one phrase to mean 'to rule over him.' I should probably give up; trying to figure Lori out makes my brain hurt. :my_confused:

It's actually a very common train of thought in Christianity. :( 

9 hours ago, Petronella said:

Smug, yes! Like that woman a few pages back who declared that she doesn't need to worry because her husband won't leave her. Does she honestly believe that every person who has ever been walked out on saw it coming? Does she honestly believe that every spouse who has left has signalled it from afar? That abandoned spouses deserve it because they chose poorly in the first place? That no one changes, no one lies? Yes, I think she does believe this. How gross, unfair, ignorant, and mean. 

If this is Christianity in practice, is it any wonder society is becoming more secular?  They are their own worst enemies when it comes to proselytizing. 

Lying Lazy Lori’s chat room is just an adult version of Mean Girls. I think Lori’s been one for years, but as her other mean girl comrades reached adulthood, they lost interest in participating. So now she’s created and can be queen of her own little Mean Girls world right there from her granite topped kitchen counters. 

40 minutes ago, EowynW said:

That just blows my mind. Where did they all get it from? (rhetorical question unless you happen to know the answer  :pb_confused: )

Asshole fundie preachers spouting it from the pulpit, that's where.

I wonder if this "desire to control her husband," is common to certain "brands" of Christianity. I've been part of pretty conservative churches for thirty plus years and went to a very conservative Christian college. I have never heard of that interpretation of scripture until Lori declared it to be so. 

Has Ken ever chimed in on the original Greek for that verse?  I can't remember how he has spun it. 

Reader:

Even commercials have jumped on the man bashing trend. I think it was Dannon (a yogurt company) that had a father and daughter up in the middle of the night but the focus was on the daughter informing dad that mom was the boss. Idk if it helped but I emailed to say how disappointed I was that they would perpetuate the family leader as so unimportant that his own child disrespected him and that mother was the boss. I was disgusted. I did receive a nice reply back. And a few months later I saw another commercial with same actors but this time the two were in cahoots not to let mom know they were up in the middle of the night snacking. It was very cute. I emailed the company again to say thank you for airing family friendly commercials. I received a very nice thank you email back. We know satan is focusing on destroying the family and what better way than make the leader look like an incompetent idiot. We must pray for everyone to have hearts turned to God and His Truth.

My, but these keepers at home are busy little bees!  Sounds like she has plenty of time to watch television and email advertisers with feedback.  Bless her heart!

I thought is was really sweet that she was disgusted by the father being "disrespected", but when it was the mother, she thought it was "cute".  I am sure Dannon really appreciates the feedback!  Keep up the great work, dear reader!!!  Blessings! *gag*

Meanwhile, has anyone checked out the comments on this Instagram:

A woman quotes scripture (no commentary at all), and Lori's immediate response was to start arguing with her.

Reader:

(scripture)

Lori:

she didn't have a career for she was known for looking well to the ways of her household.

Who is Lori arguing with?  The Bible?
Lori (again):

yes, but she didn't leave her home for hours every day, her children in daycare, and worked for a boss. She made a little money from home. That's all.

1) Where in scripture does it say that she didn't leave her home for hours a day?  Lori just made that up!  Unlike the reader, she isn't citing scripture at all.

2) Where in scripture does it say that she didn't have others caring for her children?  Obviously not a daycare, but she could have easily had help.  Silence in scripture is NOT an indicator that God wanted Lori to make something up and doggedly present it as TRUTH!

3) Where in scripture does it say she made her money from home?  Or for that matter, how much she made?  Again, these are all things Lori has made up.  She is adding to scripture.

13 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

Lori just posted this on FB. Not all of these tips can work for everyone.

Once again, Lori posts a laundry list of things that everyone should do....except her.  And furthermore, she wouldn't be caught dead doing what she listed.

I have said it before, there is really something wrong with her.

5 hours ago, Liza said:

I think that her children might have been better off had she gone to work, providing she left them in the care of an affectionate loving person. 

Like the nanny who held one of her babies for hours because she cared if the baby was crying. Lori should have left the mothering to her.  

4 hours ago, love2scrap said:

Oh God i just finished watching The Handmaid's Tale and Lori the Tudor totally resembles shrill Aunt Lydia

"Look at those outfits, such sluts."

Indeed, that's why I started calling her Aunt Lori. Although Aunt Lydia showed a few moments of actually caring about the handmaids. Not often, and not nearly enough, but that puts her ahead of Lori IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Koala said:

I thought is was really sweet that she was disgusted by the father being "disrespected", but when it was the mother, she thought it was "cute".  I am sure Dannon really appreciates the feedback!  Keep up the great work, dear reader!!!  Blessings! *gag* 

It's easy to see who she thinks belongs at the bottom of the family ladder.  

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

Has Ken ever chimed in on the original Greek for that verse?  I can't remember how he has spun it. 

Just as an FYI - Genesis is in Hebrew - I'm not sure that Ken bothered to learn Hebrew as well as Greek.

3 hours ago, EowynW said:

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

I wonder if this "desire to control her husband," is common to certain "brands" of Christianity. I've been part of pretty conservative churches for thirty plus years and went to a very conservative Christian college. I have never heard of that interpretation of scripture until Lori declared it to be so. 

If I recall correctly, it's interpreted to mean "desire to control" because it's the same structure as Genesis 4:7, where Cain is told that sin is crouching at the door, desiring to control him, but he must master it. 

It's a strange parallel verse, if you ask me.  Still, the husband is never told to rule over his wife.  Should that rule be so necessary, I think God would have told Adam directly. 

I took a look at the Hebrew during my lunch - From what I can tell:  In the Hebrew in Genesis 3:16 there is no verb (typical of Hebrew rhetoric).  It's also similar to Song of Solomon 7:11 as well as Genesis 4:7.  To understand the verb, then, one has to rely on the context - which gets tossed out in Lori's approach.  The context of 3:16 is a judgment/indication of conflict  between husband and wife as a consequence of the fall.

It would be consistent to view the language as descriptive of human power struggle in relationship instead of peace and harmony.  An each one wanting their own way type of struggle.  

The point is:  it's not a prescription of desirable behavior for either party, but rather a description of sin's corruption - both parties wanting to dominate/control each other is part of the fall.  Neither one is holy.

Here's what I don't get.  Why does Lori get so defensive with readers who are only quoting scripture?

It's like she knows some verses contradict her message, so she has to delete them, or immediately start arguing. 

1 hour ago, AuntKrazy said:

Just as an FYI - Genesis is in Hebrew - I'm not sure that Ken bothered to learn Hebrew as well as Greek.

Sorry. You are correct. I sometimes get muddle-minded when commenting here. Thank you. 

So here's an interpretation I've heard from sources I trust much more than that couple. I've heard the verse from Genesis 3 to mean that she will literally just want to connect with her husband on every level. But instead of connection he will often rule over her. Why this interpretation? Because it's a curse, a loss of connection between people who are supposed to become one. And we see this reflected in what Lori and Ken teach. The man is the ruler of the house, don't try to connect with him because you aren't being submissive. Its perpetuating a curse that we should be free from because New Creations and all that. In couples you often (put not always) see the wife as being a pursuer and the husband the stonewaller. Women have higher reported rates of being abused. Again a reflection of the curse. It's  a desire for your husband, not a desire to be over your husband. 

And it's thought that the Proverbs 31 woman was quite rich. She has a household. Chances are she had help with the children from some maids. Although the poem isn't necessarily describing a real person but characteristics of a "woman of valor". Also family units were not like today, you often had several generations living together. Additionally children were considered adults at what? 12? https://www.google.com/amp/s/rachelheldevans.com/blog/3-things-you-might-not-know-about-proverbs-31%3Fformat=amp 

sorry for the length the pseudo seminary student in me is acting up. 

2 hours ago, Koala said:

Reader:

My, but these keepers at home are busy little bees!  Sounds like she has plenty of time to watch television and email advertisers with feedback.  Bless her heart!

Meanwhile, has anyone checked out the comments on this Instagram:

A woman quotes scripture (no commentary at all), and Lori's immediate response was to start arguing with her.

Reader:

(scripture)

Lori:

Who is Lori arguing with?  The Bible?
Lori (again):

1) Where in scripture does it say that she didn't leave her home for hours a day?  Lori just made that up!  Unlike the reader, she isn't citing scripture at all.

2) Where in scripture does it say that she didn't have others caring for her children?  Obviously not a daycare, but she could have easily had help.  Silence in scripture is NOT an indicator that God wanted Lori to make something up and doggedly present it as TRUTH!

3) Where in scripture does it say she made her money from home?  Or for that matter, how much she made?  Again, these are all things Lori has made up.  She is adding to scripture.

Oh the Proverbs 31 woman is a thorn in Lori's side. 

She just can't get that the woman did have to leave home. How else could she consider a field or select wool and flax for clothes?  And no, she did not sell her garments to the merchants from her home.  She would have had to go to the town market (though we don't know how often she went or how long she stayed).  Merchants (who were likely male) would not have been coming and going from her house without her husband home. 

The passage also mentions servants. They absolutely could have watched her children.

So take that Loi. 

6 hours ago, Koala said:

News Flash: Lori had a post go VIRAL!

From today's post:

She's even included a handy link for those who haven't read her VIRAL post.  

Step 1: Make one salad per week.  Top w/ raw egg dressing that's been chilling in your fridge for a few months.  It'll be yummy!  Make sure to post to Instagram when you have diarrhea the next day (you're a discrete woman, after all).  Bonus points if you post a pic of the expensive, super special internet meds you used to cure yourself! 

Step 2:  If your husband wants anything different, remind him that you're "sick", and let him make it himself.  

Step 3: If step 2 fails, eat at an expensive restaurant.  Bonus points if you post pics of your meal to Instagram.  More bonus points if you make a post within 24 hours about being frugal/how horrible it is that women don't cook/the health detriments of eating out.

Step 4:  Now that everyone is fed, it's time to clean!  The efficient housewife has a good maid, and knows how to manage her time.  Don't hesitate to rebuke her if she isn't working fast enough.  Bonus points if you make her clean your neighbor's house AND blog about about how filthy it is.  A clean house is wonderful, but good gossip is priceless!  More bonus points if you remind your maid that working women blaspheme the Word of God!

You forgot to add that in cleaning the home, use a Norwex cloth to clean raw meat juices, rinse, hang to dry and reuse. Salmonella and E-coli O157:H7 be damned. Use organic eggs and meats and like magic they won't happen, except when they do and you can act like it was a stomach virus or parasites instead of your terrible cleaning habits. 

Note: I would NEVER want to eat in Lori's home. All that money in a massive home and her brand new kitchen is most definitely more disgusting than mine ever was when I lived in a crappy downtown apartment with a leaky roof, no dishwasher, and a mouse problem from exposed piping to the outside. Thank goodness she has a maid. If she didn't could you imagine what her home would look like? She doesn't even vacuum her carpets. 

This crazy lady has admitted that she goes on 10 week vacations, hasn't worked in years, had a maid and a nanny, barely homeschooled and that consisted of doing a few worksheets before being sent to their rooms for a few hours to read and not bother her and they went to a mix of public and private Christian schools, bought carpets and doesn't vacuum, doesn't wash her produce, uses raw eggs to make dressing for salads and leaves it for a month in her fridge, wipes up raw meat liquids with a cloth and doesn't even use soap to clean it or put it in the laundry, just beat her children for punishment and tried to terrify them into obedience because, well, that's a lot easier than actually taking the time to teach your children or anything, barely cooked for her husband or children and instead he cooked for himself and the kids would ask for some of his food, mostly eats out instead of cooking the majority of the time, sunbathes nearly nude in her backyard near others because it's southern Cali and there's no way they have big yards and no one around, doesn't wear sunscreen and her skin shows it, berates her eldest for having a puppy over a baby knowing she and her husband have infertility issues, acts annoyed at watching her grandchildren, anytime anyone asks her to do anything or attend their function or event she has sudden health problems and almost missed it and can't iron shirts or anything, and is passive-aggressive to her parents, sisters and children all the time if they don't something the way she wanted. 

I have honestly never met someone in person as completely bonkers and hypocritical as Lori Alexander. She just continues to amaze me in her stupidity and nonsense. I continue to be baffled anyone takes her seriously ever. 

5 hours ago, Loveday said:

You can't figure it out because her definition of desire (at least in that particular instance) is control.

When she first posted about that I believe we discussed it because there is no definition of desire that means control. 

It's like her thinking love does not involve emotions or that other word she defines completely wrong (can't think what it is off the top of my head)

16 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Also a lot of those suggestions take quite a bit of investment before they pay off. I mean my family has fruit trees and we had to wait for them to mature. I think the apples took a few years. And you have to know the right ones to get (my dad accidentally planted the wrong type of peach tree :tw_grimace:)  Plus there's spraying them for bugs. Gardening is also an investment and can increase your water bill trying to keep your plants alive. Honestly with all the work involved in that you'd be better off going to work for 9-5 because it's not like you'd be spending your time with your kids at home. You'd be too busy. 

Hear hear. I lived the homestead life for many years, and it takes equipment and time and, usually, money. The message that you can be more self-sufficient if necessary is one thing. The idea that raising chickens, for example, is a big money saver, is ignorant. We were able to move to the farm my father-in-law grew up on, so we had an established orchard, a henhouse, milking setup and stalls, and tools. No way could we have afforded all that, even if we had that time and skills to do all the construction ourselves.  I live in town now and still line-dry my washing, make bread and granola, use rain barrels, make compost,  grow vegetables and fruit, and save garden seeds. I'm guessing I save a few hundred dollars a year--not enough to make much difference if I had a big family. I certainly could earn more using that same time to work for wages.

A lot of the savings in do-it-yourself comes from the avoided cost of similar quality. I can make first-rate granola and whole-grain sourdough bread for way less than it would cost at Whole Foods, but it isn't much cheaper than the stuff at the discount store, and it takes time and fuel. My homegrown organic vegetables cost less to produce than to drive around like Lori and buy them from the farmer, but maybe not less than buying conventional produce at Costco.

• mango_fandango locked this topic
  • laPapessaGiovanna unlocked and locked this topic

Archived