IGNORED

Joy & Austin 15: Standing for the Fetus

choralcrusader8613

19 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

I've been to a rodeo and I hated it. It doesn't surprise me that Joy and Austin like them, though.

Angola prison in Louisiana has a rodeo.  I wonder if they plan o going? On that vein, you think Joy can ride the mechanical bull in a jeans skirt?

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My inner animal activist is screaming. But I'm glad Joy and Austin had a nice time....???? Gotta enjoy that precious one-on-one time until the 19341u948830 babies arrive. :my_rolleyes:

I think it's funny that they blurred out the Bud Light advertisement in the first picture.

7 minutes ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

I think it's funny that they blurred out the Bud Light advertisement in the first picture.

Can’t be giving those teetotalers any bad influences!  The second one kinda crops most of the ad out anyway.

1 hour ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

Oh for fuck's sake.

On 04/11/2017 at 1:18 PM, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

I used to work at the airport and based on my experience being super early is the best thing you can do. I had my share of telling late passengers they cannot board the plane and that the lines at the security and passport control are not our problem.

(snip)

You have my complete and unreserved sympathy! And, also my love. You guys do a great job, stay absolutely professional at all times, and - in my experience- have a big heart. The latter, I base on the time when I broke down in an airport, as a young student, after my train broke down, meaning that I missed my flight. I couldn't afford another ticket, was homeless for the summer, unless I made it to my parents'...and then everyone was just pure magic!

You lot do a wonderful job in stressful situations! And I will never forget that stressed-out, cried-out me got onto a flight. Plus, I got reunited with a tiny teddy-bear I forgot at the complaints desk!

You do a great job! :my_heart:

9 hours ago, BirthingGodsWarriors said:

Too bad they missed the Coors advertisement on the barrel. 

I'm going to have some really unpopular thoughts on the rodeo debate. 

So first off, for anyone calling rodeos animal cruelty I hope you are also vegetarian. Because having lived in cattle country I have a fairly good idea of how animals are treated in slaughterhouses and prior to and it's not pretty. I'm not saying I think you do eat meat but it's one of my big pet peeves when people talk about animal cruelty (with no knowledge base) and then go chow down on a hamburger.

Moving on... let's assume we are talking about tie down roping not breakaway roping which is much less controversial. Roping is *heavily* regulated by the pro cowboys association, size requirements, health and fitness requirements and sanctions against competitors for "jerking" a calf down. A 1994 survey put the injury rate of 28 surveyed rodeos at around .47% out of 33991 runs (conducted by independent on site veterinarians) oh did I mention that rodeos have veterinans? They do. 

The reality is that most cowboys (and cowgirls) LOVE their animals. They have grown up with and around them and for the most part have a certain respect for them. Also most rodeo stock is worth a lot of money (barrel horses, roping horses etc) and are treated really well. 

I won't say there aren't flaws with some aspects of rodeo but I do think that it's often not understood as much as it could be. 

(And for anyone wondering, I am a vegetarian and adore animals. So take that as you will.) 

Sorry for the rant, I just don't enjoy seeing people who rodeo equated with being "psychotic bastards" 

17 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

What grade? The younger the kids the more they leak. Of course I loved my kid when she was tiny, but sweet Rufus, I felt like I was always cleaning part of her up.

Don't know yet. It'll be between Year 1 and Year 6 though (ages 6 to 11) since it's primary level. I'm hoping I can get somewhere around the Year 3/4 mark (7-9) but it depends which school I'm placed in for my training. Not going to find out for ages because I'm training through a charity and they don't tell you which school you're placed in until next spring, which is making it hard to plan, especially because they gave me my fourth choice region.

Oh well, no complaints from me, I'm excited to finally be out in the real world, and I do love that age range. Any older and I'd have been scared of the kids honestly.

3 hours ago, LacyMay said:

So first off, for anyone calling rodeos animal cruelty I hope you are also vegetarian

I'm veggie, and I'm going to show my British ignorance here and say that I didn't even realise rodeos were still a thing in the US. The more you learn. It looks weird to me, but I had never really assumed animals suffered as part of it. Is it exciting watching it? I'm just not sure I see the appeal for date night.

I mean, the UK government elites tried to bring back fox hunting last year. Think that's the sort of thing we should be getting angry about.

1 hour ago, victoriasponge said:

I mean, the UK government elites tried to bring back fox hunting last year. Think that's the sort of thing we should be getting angry about.

I guess that coming from a country where hunting is very common (the US), my thoughts on that were "well, if they need to cull the fox population, that's one way to do it while getting some revenue from the fees for permits" (that's basically how they culled deer near where I grew up -- with very, very strict regulation on what sorts of weapons you could use, when you could hunt, what age/size of deer you could kill, and how far away from residences you needed to be), but I also think that hunting purely for sport is a bit cruel. I'd definitely put an end to the horrible traps I've seen on those animal rescue shows (I once cried during one episode where a fox had to be euthanized after getting caught in a trap and getting horrifically and irreparably injured as a result), but I have more mixed feelings about hunting with a bow or gun.

2 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

My BIL and I are in a quite-heated FB argument regarding greyhound racing. He and my SIL (the East Anglian all-seeing/all-knowing/expert on all things American) go to the dog track once a week.  He sees no problem with it because there are "no jockeys and no whips" and if the dogs "crash into each other" they don't get hurt and just run off.

BIL and SIL have four dogs (and their house definitely smells like dog, as an aside), and LOVE them to pieces. I questioned their love for dogs, with regard to paying money to see dogs get hurt/killed. I gave him a link from the ASPCA about the atrocities of dog racing and his response was "I'm not going to judge British practices by American standards." He's such a dick.

So I gave him BRITISH LINKS and now he's ignoring me. lol

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I guess that coming from a country where hunting is very common (the US), my thoughts on that were "well, if they need to cull the fox population, that's one way to do it while getting some revenue from the fees for permits"

Unfortunately not what this is about. (Badgers and foxes are the two that they argue need to be population controlled). It's an elitist 'sport' (which I don't get the impression deer hunting is in the US) where people who have enough money to own/run stables set dogs onto foxes and purposefully trap them in ways that are unethical and horrific for the animals.

I accept animals sometimes need to be culled - I disagree sometimes and I dislike it, but I accept that's a thing. This is rich people legislating so other rich people can have their fun back. The dogs that are used can't ever be rehomed because they've been trained to be vicious, murdering beasts and once they're too old to run and murder animals they've got no luck left. There's little consideration made for the rest of the wildlife and forestry being used, and all in all, I've seen no evidence it even really makes money.

At least badger culling is straight up culling. This is just finding pleasure out of other animal's misery, they purposefully use traps and methods that are brutal, it's not even like shooting a deer where they die pretty quickly.

Sorry. Bit passionate about this one.

Edit: Here's a website discussing fox hunting in context, bit preachy but I tend to agree with it. It also dispels the rumours around needing to hunt foxes for pest control.

8 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My BIL and I are in a quite-heated FB argument regarding greyhound racing. He and my SIL (the East Anglian all-seeing/all-knowing/expert on all things American) go to the dog track once a week.  He sees no problem with it because there are "no jockeys and no whips" and if the dogs "crash into each other" they don't get hurt and just run off.

Oh no. I'm from the South East, but I live in East Anglia now and will be teaching here too. That annoyed me even more than the stupidity of allowing animals getting hurt afterwards.

Unfortunately I know people who like greyhound racing who agree with him. Lots of my friends have rescued greyhounds and the poor things are terrified for so long after getting out of the supposed sport. I disagree with horse racing too, but at least people somewhat accept whipping an animal is cruel, there seems to be this perception that dogs like being forced to run against their will. Never mind the fact loads get put down because of it. (And yes, I know that there are people who train race horses who are lovely, I just dislike the general sport where animals are commodities)

But where there's money...

I'm a veggie (minus brief pregnancy aberration) and have been to a fair share of rodeos, mainly for the concerts. I think bull riding is cruel and extremely dangerous for everyone involved, as one of my bosses had previously been a bull rider and broken a lot more than every bone in his face. @LacyMay and I agree on a lot of it, I'll also add a huge part of the rodeo is the stock show, some of which the public doesn't attend. Breeders meet, it's a huge deal for 4H clubs and they do a lot of education on animal husbandry. Every time it's a miracle I don't come home with my long wanted pair of goats, but we need a bit of land for it. It's also worth noting a lot of ranchers/ farmers put hefty amounts of money into their livestock over other forms of savings. When the economy gets hit hard and investments start tanking it doesn't impact the demand for livestock or the prices, plus there's herd insurance.

That being said you should have see the beau of the time's face (set up on a rodeo date) when a group of us went to his ranch for the weekend and the lightbulb went off that I didn't eat meat and was creeped out by the staring mounted heads instead of being properly impressed, like a good potential helplmeet. "Not even ham, baby?" (*I loathe being called baby or baby girl, it's just weird to me, though I can tolerate babe or babers). Why ham? No clue, explained I don't enjoy the texture of animal flesh, which made him irate and told me I wasn't allowed to call it that, because only cannibals eat flesh (?). Nice guy, we were just two different pages in two different books.

You can think the rodeo is cruel in aspects and still enjoy other parts of it, the beautiful horses, the fried food, the concerts, the various attractions/rides, the goods for sale by local artisans or the entertainment. 

13 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

Unfortunately not what this is about. (Badgers and foxes are the two that they argue need to be population controlled). It's an elitist 'sport' (which I don't get the impression deer hunting is in the US) where people who have enough money to own/run stables set dogs onto foxes and purposefully trap them in ways that are unethical and horrific for the animals.

I accept animals sometimes need to be culled - I disagree sometimes and I dislike it, but I accept that's a thing. This is rich people legislating so other rich people can have their fun back. The dogs that are used can't ever be rehomed because they've been trained to be vicious, murdering beasts and once they're too old to run and murder animals they've got no luck left. There's little consideration made for the rest of the wildlife and forestry being used, and all in all, I've seen no evidence it even really makes money.

Now that I know that it's like this and not like deer culling/hunting, where it's more about basically filling in the gap that coyotes and wolves once filled (but they killed one too many loose Pomeranians, so now there aren't many of them left) to control the population, and there's consideration for the environment and the safety of other people and animals (i.e. regulations concerning what weapons you can use, what times you can hunt, where you can go/distance from people's houses/getting permission to hunt on people's land, the age/size of deer you're allowed to kill), I completely agree with your position.

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

one of my bosses had previously been a bull rider and broken a lot more than every bone in his face.

GOOD!

I always root for the bulls, and laugh when a grown-ass "man" gets hurt from trying to ride one. Root for the bulls, root for the broncs, hate the "cowboys" in the rodeos (because they.are.not.cowboys.).

My XH and his family/ilk all LOVE the rodeo. State Fair was the best time of the year so they could rope calves, ride bulls, ride broncs, etc. Assholes.

13 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

GOOD!

I always root for the bulls, and laugh when a grown-ass "man" gets hurt from trying to ride one. Root for the bulls, root for the broncs, hate the "cowboys" in the rodeos (because they.are.not.cowboys.).

My XH and his family/ilk all LOVE the rodeo. State Fair was the best time of the year so they could rope calves, ride bulls, ride broncs, etc. Assholes.

I've lived in Western Canada and have been on ranches, my sister and her husband lived and worked on ranches for 20+ years.

Believe me, men who ride in rodeos are cowboys, most of them - if not all - also work on ranches when they are not working the circuit.

I don't like or agree with rodeos at all and think they should not be allowed, but I certainly wouldn't wish harm on people who do participate in them and wouldn't laugh if someone got hurt.

But to each their own, I guess.

14 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

men who ride in rodeos are cowboys, most of them - if not all - also work on ranches when they are not working the circuit.

The ones in the "rodeos" around here are most certainly NOT cowboys. They're rednecks with boots and pickup trucks.

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

I don't like or agree with rodeos at all and think they should not be allowed, but I certainly wouldn't wish harm on people who do participate in them and wouldn't laugh if someone got hurt.

Just going to reiterate what @SamiKatz said 

I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of the people I've met who rodeo also live and work on farms and ranches and have their entire life. It's pretty hard to learn alot of the skills etc without access to the animals needed to train (barrel racing, roping... your horse is your partner.) 

Also I think it's a far stretch to go from not agreeing with someone to actually wishing harm on them. I don't agree with a lot of things (Derrick Dillard comes to mind) but I can't say I have ever actually wished for him to be seriously injured. 

Bull fighting. I know it’s a long tradition in some countries, particularly Spain, and I’m fully aware that I’m pretty poorly educated about the topic... but it really hurts me to see those beautiful animals harmed and killed for entertainment. Same with greyhound racing and the fox hunting under the circumstances mentioned above. And dog or rooster fighting as well. Basically, I’m against the harming or killing of animals for any reason other than putting food on your table (through hunting) or needing to protect yourself or others from bodily harm or death (like being attacked by a dog without provocation or needing to shoot a bear that’s attacking you.)

I know next to nothing about rodeos other than I went to one in Connecticut as a young kid. I liked the Rodeo clowns and I got to feed a horse some fruit, which was pretty much the highlight of my young life. If you’re properly caring for the animals and the animals aren’t actually being harmed during shows, then I don’t think I’m too opposed to that. 

As for diet - I eat meat, though I try not to eat a lot. We aim to do at least one meatless dinner a week. We usually end up with more meatless nights than that though. I’ve considered going vegetarian or cutting out certain types of meat, but I’m naturally B-12 deficient. I take a sublingual tablet daily, but it’s still something I need to consider when making dietary choices. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived