IGNORED

Joy & Austin 15: Standing for the Fetus

choralcrusader8613

Wasn't Anna the one to hold up some Abolish abortion propaganda onsie to her belly?  I think they were in DC at the time.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I don't recall Jill doing that either. I feel like Ben and Jessa have posted way more about abortion than Jill has - but people have recently decided that Jessa and Ben are the good guys and Jill and Derick are the bad guys, so I think Jill and Derick's shenanigans are being exaggerated a little, and Jessa and Ben's are being conveniently forgotten (and I say this as someone who really dislikes Jill and Derick - especially Derick - and probably has too much of a soft spot for Ben and Jessa).

Anna is her own when she posted.  But who can forget the coffins from Ben  - hell he never POSTS anymore...someone learned his lesson. 

Joy I think is just becoming Anna except Joy never posts that much 

Jill is a whole other kettle of fish. 

47 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Yes, as someone who generally prefers Jessa and Ben to Jill and Derick, I've also noticed the recent trend that Jessa is basically superior in every way to Jill. 

I mean, I get it. Jill is married to Derick and he's the asshole to end all assholes so naturally she gets some of the extra flack as well. But it does seem like she gets a lot of extra snark for no real reason other than because she's Jill.

Jill also seems overwhelmed constantly whereas Jessa tries to hide it better. 

and Jill is a bad taste in your mouth because she is just Jill 

@VineHeart137- I think people are pleased at what they see as positive growth from Jessa and Ben. Yes, initially, J/B were awful. They posted many less than appropriate BS comments on social media, but as time has gone on, those posts have vanished. In addition, they have posted some more thought provoking comments. Add in the apparent ease (at least what is shown) that they have taken to parenting 2 LOs...yes, people are pleasantly surprised. Conversely, with the Dillards, all we have seen is regression. I think people expected more and better from the Dillards. Derick was a grown, educated man when he married Jill. For me, I expected more from Derick than the teenage Ben. I was wrong.

@SassyPants You nailed it! Ben and Jessa went from 0-60 with their hate. They pushed their attitudes on everyone and were very unapologetic about it. I do think that they have grown slightly as people. No doubt they have hateful views, similar to those of Derick. However, Ben has made thoughtful posts about race and seems to be viewing the world slightly differently. Not unexpected he was very young when he got married but still nice to see. 

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

That's nuts!!  

I don't know if it's still a trend, but I saw the idea on Pinterest a lot around the time Jill and Derick did it. So it's not really nuts or anything.

Heres the photo:

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think they've all been holier than thou prolifers at some point on social media. Anna always used to post about abortion on Instagram I think. I wish they would all just shut up about it. It's been 44 years. Your generation will not abolish abortion like y'all want to claim. You're wasting your time and being an asshole while doing it. 

They have been. Jill seems to have always had a gentler and quieter approach to the topic though - for instance, her posts about Jubilee last December (fifth anniversary of her death) and in December 2014 were more about how beautiful every life is and that they still miss her. Or the two very mild posts she made for the Alive Festival in 2015, basically just saying they'd be attending. Or the one March for Life post from 2015 which was more of an advertisement for her brothers' YouTube channel then anything. 

Compare that to the fire and brimstone Ben and Jessa used to post. Most of the abortion stuff from Jessa was kind of run of the mill, but this one will always stand out:

Spoiler

That said, the only one I really remember politicizing a pregnancy was Anna:

Spoiler

(And you're correct - scrolling through Anna's Instagram just reminded me of how hateful and obnoxious she was about abortion. Most of her posts were about it in some way. She was definitely the loudest of them all about the issue.)

ETA: The Anna photo is coming up fuzzy for me for some reason. If you can't see it clearly, she's holding a pink onesie to her stomach that reads "I am the Pro-Life Generation." It was posted May 10, 2015 during her pregnancy with Meredith - around nine days later I turned 27 and the molestation scandal was first revealed. So, definitely a better month for me than Anna.

Ugh, yeah, I had forgotten about Anna's horrific Instagram since she's been quiet as a church mouse lately. I always assumed a lot of it was driven by Josh's (at-the-time) job, where this pro-life stuff was front and center. Not that it makes it any less gross.

Jessa's holocaust post is IMO the worst one we have seen on the topic from any of them by a large, large margin.

2 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Jessa's holocaust post is IMO the worst one we have seen on the topic from any of them by a large, large margin.

Please, please don't say that. You will give Derick something to shoot for. 

I totally agree that Ben has exceeded my expectations as far as Duggar husbands go (not that that's saying much, but still). It's part of the reason why, like I said, I prefer the Seewalds over the Dillards. My point was really about Jill seeming to get a lot of (sometimes unwarranted) flack, not Derick, as he deserves any flames he gets. Joy politicizes her pregnancy and she gets compared to Jill, and only Jill, when in reality as Velocirapture pointed out, Jill has been the most tame in regards to abortion out of the married Duggars with children. But like I said, she married an asshole (and she wasn't the most well-liked sister before that anyway) so I do get why people would jump at the chance to snark at her more than the other sisters.

And I did forget how insufferable Anna used to be. Damn.

Yeah, Anna was the politicized pregnancy QUEEN. One post that particularly stands out is that weird shitty one about how black lives wouldn't matter until abortion was illegal (or something???)

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Yeah, Anna was the politicized pregnancy QUEEN. One post that particularly stands out is that weird shitty one about how black lives wouldn't matter until abortion was illegal (or something???)

Oh that's a very common theme with the crazy pro birthers. They say things like "if black lives matter, then why keep abortion legal?"  And then they post stats on black women having abortions each year. 

Abortion will never be "abolished", even if it was made totally illegal, well to do women  will still get them.  It will only be poor women who get no choice in the matter or will be punished if they attempt to do so. And I personally support efforts to keep abortion safe and legal if any woman chooses to do so.  

40 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Abortion will never be "abolished", even if it was made totally illegal, well to do women  will still get them.  It will only be poor women who get no choice in the matter or will be punished if they attempt to do so. And I personally support efforts to keep abortion safe and legal if any woman chooses to do so.  

And to be perfectly honest, they would order abortion pills from other countries. I read that in Ireland, women will eithertravel to another country for an abortion or order abortion medication online. And how safe if that really? They would probably be afraid to go to a doctor if there were issues. But yes I agree with you. Abortion will always be around even if you outlaw it. What I wish these people would get through their heads is that the best way to prevent an abortion is to prevent an unplanned pregnancy. And you do that by providing comprehensive sex ed and access to low/no cost birth control. 

I think part of Anna's obnoxious  pro life rhetoric had to do with her environment with Joshykins being God's voice in DC she probably had more opportunity to do the whole pro life lobby thing. Without the move and the job I don't think we would have seen the politics from her. 

I'm wondering if Joy liked what she saw of the DC life and is looking at that as an endgame. 

To be brutally honest  (and maybe a bit BEC) I'm finding Joy to be less and less likable as the season goes on, I'm just starting to get a bit of a snobby vibe from her when her interactions are filmed, strangely though I don't notice it as much when she's doing a TH. 

I wonder if it's not from (in recent years especially) getting all the older girl type of respect and privileges but without having had the same amount of household responsibility. 

Also literally eating crackers while typing this so take that as you will.

Watching the dress epidsode did annoy me a bit and my first reaction was she was being flippant and semi snotty.  However, the more I watched the more I felt like she was really uncomfortable being put on the spot to say if she did or didn't like some of the woman's dresses. Also, I think she honestly didn't know what she wanted and just wanted to say whatever would get them to stop asking. She did not enjoy this experience.  As someone who cried trying in prom dresses because I felt my mom was hammering me with questions I can relate.  

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

@SassyPants You nailed it! Ben and Jessa went from 0-60 with their hate. They pushed their attitudes on everyone and were very unapologetic about it. I do think that they have grown slightly as people. No doubt they have hateful views, similar to those of Derick. However, Ben has made thoughtful posts about race and seems to be viewing the world slightly differently. Not unexpected he was very young when he got married but still nice to see. 

and Ben seems to be a better father than Derick in every respect. He also seems to love being there in the moment.  Also his naive attitude about stuff like shopping like last night was pleasant to watch.  It seems they are a team where as Derick and Jill are not a team as more as Derick rules and Jill lets him.  

Is it just me or does Austin always look like he’s totally constipated or needs to pass gas in photos? He just has that “Man, I gotta poop or fart! But there are people around!” Look on his face. 

I am of the opinion that people who go on and on about the definition of marriage and how happy they are don't have a fucking clue and are miserable.

I see that Anna posted that around the time her husband was on Ashley Madison. Yep, that's real marriage alright. One man. One woman. And one cheating website.

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I see that Anna posted that around the time her husband was on Ashley Madison. Yep, that's real marriage alright. One man. One woman. And one cheating website.

Everyone knows that traditional marriage consists of one constantly cuckolded woman, one man who is functionally polyamorous, and said man’s many mistresses, prostitutes, etc.

I don't usually mind their posts on abortion, even though I am proud choice but the ones Jessa and Anna made were horrible. These girls have had the pro life stuff brainwashed into them since birth and don't see how tactless some their posts are. Jessa and Anna overstepped the mark though. I do wish they would be more supportive of parents who are struggling to support their kids and I mean more than donating a stuffed bear to them, since they oppose abortion so much.

Anna gets a pass from me. She has to be the most emotionally beat down of the clan and that's saying something. She's chained to the turd for life and its understandable why she's so judgemental. She simply does not know any better and will have no opportunity to learn. Ben and Jessa however have proven that they are teachable. They have learned to market themselves better. Their message is no better than the Dillards but by taking a slightly different stance and keeping their little cuties upfront, it all becomes more palatable. Jill and Derick don't care to sugar coat anything. I can't even with Joy and Austin. She's still mentally a child who thinks that because she was able to marry and procreate, she's somehow elevated to a position of teacher and moral compass. I find her sanctimonious attitude to be insufferable. With absolutely no experience outside her protective bubble she somehow knows it all. Ugh.

Sorry. I feel better now. Duggar offspring are like a boil, better to lance it than let it fester. Rant over.

Shea a product of her environment. She probably doesn't know what a fetus looks like at 18 weeks. She probably does not know abortion at 18 weeks is rare and expensive. 

2 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Another one of Anna's instagram gems 

Yet her husband cheated on her and molested his sister's. 

Jessa's holocaust post made me think that she'd never been exposed to the horrors of Nazi Germany before. I hope I'm wrong.

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Jessa's holocaust post made me think that she'd never been exposed to the horrors of Nazi Germany before. I hope I'm wrong.

Nope. In my experience, fundiegelicals love talking about the Holocaust and love bringing up Hitler in their sermons to prove a point. 

They also love it because for them it proves capitalism and democracy (i.e. American exceptionalism) is the best system. Anything else is facism/communism and therefore of the devil.

And that the American military is the greatest blah blah blah...

Bonus points if they find someway to be benevolently condescending towards Jews. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived