IGNORED

The Seven Sisters Go to Work

Hisey

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@Hisey

http://sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/my-list-of-twenty-five/

Well, it hasn't changed yet and she's still making memories and doing family things.  I hope she is still thankful to be single but she's not completely over the hill yet. :my_smile:

Well, it obviously was not her 25th Bday post that I was remembering! However, I could swear there was one where she said she was "surprised" she was still single and wondered how much longer she would be so. 

If I had to choose a fundie family to live in, I'd choose the 7 sisters.  They do seem so happy. However, there are things I would certainly find infuriating, if I were a houseguest. Like that business with the school pictures. I know she SAID she wasn't laughing at the tradition of school pictures. but she obviously was. She called it "hilarious" and stuff. Later on, after being called on it, she backtracked and said that she found it funny because it was a new idea to her. But that makes no sense.

She came across a little smug, like "Omigosh, they take pics of the kids every single year, ha ha ha!" Like the homeschool way is so much better? Honey, you're a cafeteria lady, don't be so smug about your homeschool education.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/1/2017 at 11:29 AM, formergothardite said:

I always question when these fundie families say their children just choose exactly what the parents want. The Duggars and Bates have said the same thing. 

Yep, and there's Sarah Maxwell, whom Steveovah and Teri say it's her choice and she's OK with living at home and being treated like a kid when she's in her 30s.

When you grow up in an overcontrolling family like many of these fundies do, the idea of "choice" is a delusion at best.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:58 PM, johnhugh said:

We don’t know too much about Daddy 7 compared to Boob, Stevie and Rickie Arnt.  The same could be said for Mr Eleventy!!!!1!! Are they more controlling than is perceived as they don’t rant on the internet, conferences or have a television show?

No we don't.  And that is because Daddy 7 and Mr Eleventy!!11!!!! are more the imbibers of kool-aid rather than the active purveyors.  I tend to be gentler with the imbibers than I am with the purveyors, but they can be just as controlling.  I'm sure they are all viciously anti-gay and anti-abortion too.  Ugh.

I'd say that both Daddy 7 and Mr Eleventy!!11!!! fell for the stuff about sheltering daughters hook line and sinker.  Likewise the courtship and kissing dating goodbye crap.  Many Fundies of this ilk also think that, according to the Bible, men become adult at 20.  So they can let the man-boys free then.  (Rick Arndt is a definite outlier in Fundie-land.)

Like many other Fundies of their generation, they are now finding unmarried daughters - including over 30s - still living at home.  Some are getting worried.  That courtship model just doesn't seem to work very well - especially where sheltered and isolated women are concerned.

Some of these Fundies do loosen up their holds when things don't work out as promised - as Daddy 7 seems to be doing with allowing his daughters to pursue careers.  Daddy 7 also had a health crisis last year that may have been a reality check of sorts.

The Eleventies!!111!!! are another family for whom I have something of a soft spot.  They have many beliefs I find strange and limiting, but they do seem to walk the Christian talk far better than, say, the Maxwells.  They were Maxwell humpers, and Rebecca still is to some extent, but they seem infinitely less self-absorbed and selfish in their day to day life.  IIRC, Rebecca isn't academic (or may have a learning disability) so getting more education is not part of her goal for life.

Oh, dear.  Poor Rebecca Eleventy!!!111!!!!  I wonder whether she knows that John Maxwell is engaged.  The news will probably break her loving little heart.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:11 PM, Palimpsest said:

The Eleventies!!111!!! are another family for whom I have something of a soft spot.  They have many beliefs I find strange and limiting, but they do seem to walk the Christian talk far better than, say, the Maxwells.  They were Maxwell humpers, and Rebecca still is to some extent, but they seem infinitely less self-absorbed and selfish in their day to day life.  IIRC, Rebecca isn't academic (or may have a learning disability) so getting more education is not part of her goal for life.

Oh, dear.  Poor Rebecca Eleventy!!!111!!!!  I wonder whether she knows that John Maxwell is engaged.  The news will probably break her loving little heart.

Yes, I agree. I'd say that the Kellum/Eleventy!!!!1!!1 family and the 7 family both do a far better job of actually living what Jesus preached about serving others than people like the Maxwells. 

To be honest... I feel like she might be sad, but in the end I  think Rebecca can do better than John Maxwell. She deserves someone who will love her as she is and share her enjoyment of life. But that's just me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Jessica passed all her exams and got her commercial pilot's license. She documented her studies and practice flights on instagram, and she did it all without needing a chaperone! (Take heed Duggars' and Bates'!)
I'm happy for her that she has been able to pursue this and that she's succeeded. Amidst all the pregnancy news of the quiverful families, this news of a fundy woman successfully pursuing a non-traditional career path makes me feel a little bit better. 

Jessicapilotlicense.jpg

Anna is in college and taking a sociology course, according to instagram. She says she's enjoying "the opportunity and the freedom to grow our ways of thinking." Nice!

So basically the Seven Sisters are showing that you can stay true to your belief system while still going to school, working in the real world and not looking down on those who don’t believe exactly as you do.  

8 hours ago, socalrules said:

So basically the Seven Sisters are showing that you can stay true to your belief system while still going to school, working in the real world and not looking down on those who don’t believe exactly as you do.  

Yep!   And while doing it conforming to rigid modesty codes that are genuinely able to be customised and aren't all "Look at me!!!!".   So none of this "I want this cute dress, but I'll make a big deal about wearing another one underneath", and so on.   I know they have matching frumpers for photos but they don't wear them day-to-day.

On 10/9/2017 at 2:11 PM, Palimpsest said:

No we don't.  And that is because Daddy 7 and Mr Eleventy!!11!!!! are more the imbibers of kool-aid rather than the active purveyors.  I tend to be gentler with the imbibers than I am with the purveyors, but they can be just as controlling.  I'm sure they are all viciously anti-gay and anti-abortion too.  Ugh.

I'd say that both Daddy 7 and Mr Eleventy!!11!!! fell for the stuff about sheltering daughters hook line and sinker.  Likewise the courtship and kissing dating goodbye crap.  Many Fundies of this ilk also think that, according to the Bible, men become adult at 20.  So they can let the man-boys free then.  (Rick Arndt is a definite outlier in Fundie-land.)

Like many other Fundies of their generation, they are now finding unmarried daughters - including over 30s - still living at home.  Some are getting worried.  That courtship model just doesn't seem to work very well - especially where sheltered and isolated women are concerned.

Some of these Fundies do loosen up their holds when things don't work out as promised - as Daddy 7 seems to be doing with allowing his daughters to pursue careers.  Daddy 7 also had a health crisis last year that may have been a reality check of sorts.

Rebecca actually has changed it up if you look on her blog she is in school for CNA training, got her drivers license, and wears pants now. I think like you said these parents realized this fundie lifestyle isn't suitable long term if you aren't fundie royalty.

I just love the idiocincracies of the 7 sisters.  They are a little wacky. They know it. They embrace it.  The girls are a refreshing change in the world of fundism.  

Jessica should enlist in the Air Force.  It would support her pilot dreams.  If I was a recruiter I would be impressed with her tenacity to go as far as she has to get a commercial license.

The only thing is I would love to take the girls and get them all an eyebrow wax.  They are very pretty.  A well arched eyebrow along with a little blush & lip gloss would enhance their face shape & add a level of youthfulness to their appearance. 

On 10/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, HereticHick said:

As far as I understand from their blog, the Seven Sisters family have kinda independently decided to wear Anabaptist-type clothing and head coverings. The rest of their Baptist church doesn't do it.

I've always wondered if this isn't one reason they've had no luck finding husbands--everyone they meet is constantly assuming they are a different religious denonimation than they are. They don't fit in with the Baptist singles because of their head coverings and frumpers, and they don't fit in with the Mennonites because of their theology.

I've wondered the same thing. I've joked about pairing them off en masse to the Ardt boys but I don't think they could handle women as Independent as the farmgirls

6 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!  

That movie is creepy AF. 

23 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Anna is in college and taking a sociology course, according to instagram. She says she's enjoying "the opportunity and the freedom to grow our ways of thinking." Nice!

Where does she say this?

Wait, never mind, I see the post

8 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Jessica should enlist in the Air Force.  It would support her pilot dreams.  If I was a recruiter I would be impressed with her tenacity to go as far as she has to get a commercial license.

That would be pretty cool and i wonder if she's considered it. She says she's planning to work as a flight instructor until she has enough flying hours to apply for a job with a commercial airline. I think plenty of people have already taken notice of her-- she's won a bunch of scholarships to help her get to this point.

On 11/12/2017 at 3:49 PM, ChunkyBarbie said:

That movie is creepy AF. 

True.  But the choreography and dancing are brilliant. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anna is wearing jeans in her latest fb post. It's not super surprising since she's been the most mainstream with her skirts, shirts, and head coverings the past couple of years. 

Now if I see a picture of Leah in jeans, I might faint right then and there.

1 hour ago, fundiefun said:

How did she get into flying that is quite the awesome feat especially solo flight time im impressed

It is also heavily male dominated. I'm pretty impressed since fundies are always so damn staunch about gender roles so if a daughter goes into a profession, I always expect it to be a female heavy profession like elementary teacher or nurse. 

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It is also heavily male dominated. I'm pretty impressed since fundies are always so damn staunch about gender roles so if a daughter goes into a profession, I always expect it to be a female heavy profession like elementary teacher or nurse. 

I'm very surprised I know some fundies balk at letting their daughters get a drivers license but a pilots license at that! I hope her flying career takes her where she wants to go and now she really has the freedom to see the world. I wonder if she will one day become a commercial pilot for a big jet

• 7 months later...

Archived