IGNORED

Dillards 42: Tweeting to Unpopularity

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Heres Cathy’s response people are discussing:

Sorry Cathy, but I seriously doubt he was in Puerto Rico or doing anything to actually help out. 

Unless some Puerto Ricans would be willing to put him up in a perfectly dry, palatial house from which he'd occasionally emerge to bitch about how poor and brown everyone is and yammer about Jesus in broken Spanish, I doubt he'd set foot in Puerto Rico.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I remember when I didn’t know who Becky was. It was a magical time. :pb_lol:

Shes basically a super leghumper of the Duggar and Bates families. To the point where the families themselves seem a bit creeped out by her. She’s pretty much guaranteed to post on every single post anyone connected to these families makes. 

Uh Oh, they have the fundie version of Play Misty for Me.

According to Instagram (not his but a friend who tagged him) Derick was in Texas. Based on the post location near Beaumont, 2 hours east of Houston. It could also just be where they were when he posted but either way it appears Derick was in Texas post Harvey. 

E0D1719E-38BE-4CA8-AD41-D93DB23B544E.jpeg

410EFA42-FE77-4A83-A0ED-74B738FFCFDB.jpeg

Cathy’s Twitter is so painful. You can tell by what she “likes” her feed is mainly hardcore conservative fake news. She also always likes the few positive responses to Derick’s tweets. Cringe

That means she must read through all the negative.  Damn Cathy, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... #DUCK

Why do I get the feeling dWRECK helping in Texas was maybe moving one tree and trying to preach at people?

31 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Why do I get the feeling dWRECK helping in Texas was maybe moving one tree and trying to preach at people?

It sure looks like it if his friend's Instagram post is anything to go on.  Preaching can be all fine and good.  But

1. I don't see DWreck's "preaching" as being particularly prone to produce good thoughts, and those people down there recovering need all the encouragement and positivity of thought they can get; and

2. Regardless of how "temporary" possessions may be, those people still lost a lot. No doubt many of them were left with nothing but the clothes on their backs and maybe a few things that were stored above the water line.  Prayers are fine and good in and of themselves; however, they are not even food, clothing, or various supplies people need to function day to day, never mind items that people need going forward. Nor do they repair damage done by flooding to homes and cars. Repairing damage, replacing needed items, being able to return to jobs that may have been temporarily lost (or, if they were permanently lost, then to find new jobs) due to Harvey, and just being able to eventually return to a more or less normal life -- that's what people really need post-Harvey.  Did DWreck and anyone with him help with all that?  I'm not so sure the answer is yes. >:(

Damn, Bevil Oaks is in my neck of the woods, I drive past there to visit my parents.  And I'm honestly not sure what help he can offer, everyone is in a sort of limbo right now. No one is in need of a high water rescue and a lot of the stores are back up and running. Many people have already tossed their water logged possessions, and moldy insulation and sheet rock are piled on curbs. You can't start the rebuilding process until things have had a chance to dry out, or else you will have to tear everything out because mold started growing again. So unless Derick is offering help with navigating the insurance claims process, he would be better off staying home and donating money to help rebuild.

Oh wait... he only fund raises for himself.     

The Teamsters sent truck drivers to PR yesterday, and a group of nurses went, too. Those are the people needed there. Not some dippy Jesus wannabe wandering about aimlessly trying to convert people into a cult. They really need actual help that Derick does not have to knowledge or skills to supply. He'd be nothing but a drain on already scarce resources.

How the fuck can these people be so damned dense?

I just.....I mean that's wonderful Derick, you finally decided to get off your ass and instead of trying to be cool and hanging out with college kids you went down to Texas to contribute....

All I see in their future, is more of Derick going off on "relief" efforts, preaching, traveling on short little trips to "minister", and Jill, either dragging behind him with a gaggle of young kids, or just staying at home....more and more alone in her marriage.....

That makes me sad for her.

@hethamahay Hope you and everyone in your family is safe and sound, but I agree on the insurance part, it is a lot of waiting and adjusting. Woke up extra early to call USAA as soon as my rep's day starts, she's just swamped with so many notifications of action the normal system process doesn't work. 

39 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

instead of trying to be cool and hanging out with college kids

Shades of Billy from St. Elmo's Fire. Except Billy is hot.

31 minutes ago, cascarones said:

USAA

Quarter-century member here. LOVE them.

25 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Quarter-century member here. LOVE them.

We have USAA thanks to my dad (served with the Marines in Vietnam.) They are hands down the best insurance company. They took care of me when I was in a car accident a few years back and even managed to save my nearly totaled car. And when Sandy came through they quickly worked on the claims my parents’ submitted for the roof - and the appliances, which were fried when the power came back on. 

Husband and I have no plans to ever switch companies. Customer service is really important to us when it comes to insurance companies and they absolutely have the best employees. They explain everything in a way it’s easily understood and they make you feel like you honestly matter.

(And sorry for gushing so much. I’m just a really big fan. :pb_lol:)

I mean...ugh. What does Cathy believe is helping? Because to me preaching at people who are in a bad way is not helping. It's kicking them when they're already down. 

Unfortunately I can't get USAA. But just to let y'all know that have it, it has really good travel deals! I work in the travel industry and they are one of our biggest partners and I know we give them some of our best deals. So if you ever want to book a trip checkout those benefits they offer and try and save yourselves some money! :)

9 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

They are hands down the best insurance company

I've never had anything else and they're great, just understandably swamped at the moment so it's easy for claims to get lost when task lists are thousands of to-dos long. They also do a huge amount in the community, local, active service and veteran. They had emergency teams and shelters ready for Harvey like strawberries on shortcake.

Derick's tweets are just nonsensical and seem very stream of consciousness. It invokes the same feelings I had when we read The Sound and the Fury in 7th grade lit and nobody knew what anyone was trying to say. Except then we got a timeline and explanation, while Derick just wants us to figure out the message he's trying to convey with simply tweeting verses. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

And sorry for gushing so much. I’m just a really big fan

Same - we have it because my dad was an officer WAY back in the early sixties (prior to Vietnam). He's been with USAA as long as I can remember, really.

We were burgled a few years ago while we were at work. I called them around 8pm (after the police left), and they had put $2k in our checking account by 4am the next morning so we could replace computers, televisions, alarm clocks, etc. When the burglar was captured, they filed suit against him to recover our deductible from him - so once he's out of prison, his paychecks (assuming he gets a job besides stealing to support his heroin habit), will be garnished.

37 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

really good travel deals!

We use their travel services and their car-buying services too. I love to buy cars through them - they find the car I want and issue me a "coupon" that I take to a USAA-approved dealer, and the dealer has to honor the coupon. $4,800 off lowest-quoted price on the car I recently bought? Yes, please.

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Same - we have it because my dad was an officer WAY back in the early sixties (prior to Vietnam). He's been with USAA as long as I can remember, really.

We were burgled a few years ago while we were at work. I called them around 8pm (after the police left), and they had put $2k in our checking account by 4am the next morning so we could replace computers, televisions, alarm clocks, etc. When the burglar was captured, they filed suit against him to recover our deductible from him - so once he's out of prison, his paychecks (assuming he gets a job besides stealing to support his heroin habit), will be garnished.

We use their travel services and their car-buying services too. I love to buy cars through them - they find the car I want and issue me a "coupon" that I take to a USAA-approved dealer, and the dealer has to honor the coupon. $4,800 off lowest-quoted price on the car I recently bought? Yes, please.

How do their travel deals and car buying work?  We have them but have never used those services.  Can you get any car?  How do you find an approved dealer?  Sorry, just curious about the procedure.  Same for travel!

23 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

How do their travel deals and car buying work?  We have them but have never used those services.  Can you get any car?  How do you find an approved dealer?  Sorry, just curious about the procedure.  Same for travel!

Car buying:  Log into your account. On the app, tap "car buying" - it will ask you a series of questions about the type of car you're looking for, whether you're buying from a dealer, what car you're looking for, etc. They will send your contact info to three (or so) dealers in your area that are USAA-approved. Each dealer will then respond with an offer (coupon) of a certain $$$-amount off the price. It's hassle-free/haggle-free and generally pretty quick. For instance - I was buying a Mustang, and told them that - even down to the color. Three dealers responded within 12 hours with offers, and I was driving my new car the next afternoon. This is the third time we've used their service.

Edit:  Yes, you can buy any car - new or used. They contact the approved dealers.

Travel:  My husband booked something through them a couple of times - I think just car rentals. It's been a while. I've found decent deals on my own using Scott's Cheap Flights and using my hotel points. :)

6 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I mean...ugh. What does Cathy believe is helping? Because to me preaching at people who are in a bad way is not helping. It's kicking them when they're already down. 

I may express this badly, so please do forgive this atheist. I think it's worse than kicking them. It strikes me that some brands of preaching could plant seeds in the minds of vulnerable people who are suffering that they are in some way being punished (if the dialogue is that the events have been delivered by a deity in response to some kind of sin, even if it's not their own). That said, I know religious groups do wonderful work in relief efforts so I wouldn't begin to paint them all with the same brush. It definitely depends on the level of practical help being given and the message (and tone) being 'preached'. My parents are Christian and do good voluntary work in their community. I know I'd rather have their approach in a crisis over Derick's putrid communications any day of the week.

I severely hope their preaching was at least along the lines of "this is hard but God can help you through it" not the "you think this is bad, just you wait for Hell" type.  But since Derick is more hellfire and brimstone than the comfort of Jesus, I'm not counting my chickens.

@Kleine Vampirin, your post reminded me something that St Francis of Asissi was supposed to have said:  

Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words

In the case of disaster relief, words are never necessary. Actions should be sufficient.

4 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

You link to it through the website after you’ve logged on. I tried to use the car buying service for a used car, but it sent me to awful local dealers and I ended up buying something from an individual through Craigslist instead.

The travel has good deals- we did really well with my parents’ fiftieth anniversary cruise and I got a cheap car rental through them recently. They also have a rewards program, so you can save more if you use them frequently.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

@SapphireSlytherin - a Mustang? You bought a Mustang? Spill girl...details!!! My 04 is in the shop with fuel system problems. 

Yup. 2017 Ecoboost with an automatic (and paddle shifters). I traded in a 6-speed manual hot hatch for it. My clutch leg was getting soooo tired in commuting traffic. Love it. DH and I did a 3,300-mile road trip over five days (yes, you read that right) back in August. It's a wonderful road tripping machine - got 32mpg on the trip. And she's a quick one - 0-60 in 5.2. :)

15 minutes ago, eye_browz said:

I wish I could get into USAA! Sounds like a great company.

They are. I've heard very few complaints in my life about them. We have everything with them (car loan, insurance, banking, investments, mortgage...).

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived