IGNORED

How to Mess Up Pumpkin

NotQuiteMotY

I did the dumb thing. We had a gift pumpkin that grew out of the compost pile, and I decided to puree and freeze it this week for later baking. Last night I chunked half of it and roasted it, with the intent of doing the rest today. Only problem?

I left it to cool on the counter a little long. Like, overnight. So now I'm debating whether it's okay, whether it would be okay if I heated it through again, or whether I should just throw away two-thirds of a pumpkin.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or at least some similar story that'll make me feel better about wasting several bread loaves' worth of pumpkin?

2 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I did the dumb thing. We had a gift pumpkin that grew out of the compost pile, and I decided to puree and freeze it this week for later baking. Last night I chunked half of it and roasted it, with the intent of doing the rest today. Only problem?

I left it to cool on the counter a little long. Like, overnight. So now I'm debating whether it's okay, whether it would be okay if I heated it through again, or whether I should just throw away two-thirds of a pumpkin.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or at least some similar story that'll make me feel better about wasting several bread loaves' worth of pumpkin?

I leave food out all night and nothing every happens. My house is usually around 69/70F. I think it will be fine. 

Agreed, I do that all the time and I've never, ever, had any problems. (I don't live in the tropics or anything though. If you live in extreme climates without A/C, that'd probably be a different story.)

agreed; you should be fine.  i've left baked pumpkin (and other things) out overnight several times without incident.  

We're having unseasonably warm weather right now, but it's still going down to the sixties at night, so I guess it's okay? Usually if I leave stuff out, it's something like the cat's wet food can, so I'm not used to this!

Thank you all. You've made me feel a bit better!

Archived