IGNORED

Counting On, Season 4 Part 2: Still Far Behind Real Life

Coconut Flan

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On glasses: I like Coastal/ Clearly and am unsure how I survived before I went ahead and got prescription sunglasses. I'm always losing my other ones, but a bit obsessive about those babies for driving!

Otherwise: This reading thread drift is great, I'm on limited activity, which of course means I'm restless as can be. 

Regarding accents and people assuming you're a dolt for certain ones/types: I have [what must be ] a strong NY Metro are accent. Since I moved away seventeen years ago, I can't tell you how often someone feels it okay to imitate and exaggerate the way I speak. I would NEVER do that in someone's face. It's ill mannered and downright aggressive.

Also, I now live in a part of New York State where many of the natives have what I consider a very unappealing accent, but 'usually' don't call attention to it (unless I'm pushed to the wall).

37 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

I can't tell you how often someone feels it okay to imitate and exaggerate the way I speak.

Oh, but when you're Southern, you get this ALL the time. And the worst part is the fake Southern accents in movies/tv shows.

The show is in what, April? That's actually not that far behind real life, and is pretty typical for reality shows. I think it just seems that way because the Duggars keep having big life events (two marriages and two babies) that the show hasn't covered yet.

5 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Oh, but when you're Southern, you get this ALL the time. And the worst part is the fake Southern accents in movies/tv shows.

I live in Kentucky, born and raised. We get the accent thing too. I also heard a radio host from another state once express mock surprise that we have libraries here. I have to admit, that one stung just a little. I also have to admit that I am also kind of relieved that Jennifer Lawrence is from Kentucky. 

I moved to the northeast from Arkansas a few years ago. I don't have a strong southern accent, but there are a few things I say differently. I had a professor mock me for saying the letter "n" as "in" (instead of "ehn," I guess?) when I was spelling my name.

Note to ALL non-Southerners. When you come down here, YOU are the ignorant one with an accent. We're just too polite to point that out and mock you.

32 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

The show is in what, April? That's actually not that far behind real life, and is pretty typical for reality shows. I think it just seems that way because the Duggars keep having big life events (two marriages and two babies) that the show hasn't covered yet.

::big sigh::  It's just a thread title and usually somewhat representative of something people have said or been talking about recently.  

35 minutes ago, CatchThatCow said:

I also heard a radio host from another state once express mock surprise that we have libraries here.

Yep.

One of my former co-workers was actually stunned when I showed her a Google street view of the house where I grew up (and where my dad still lives). She gasped and said, "But it looks like a regular house!"

(You know - typical 60s/70s subdivision 3/2 house)

I asked her what she was expecting?!?!

18 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

::big sigh::  It's just a thread title and usually somewhat representative of something people have said or been talking about recently.  

Uh, it wasn't criticism, I was just commenting on the topic since, like you just said, it's come up a lot.

I've had dry eye issues for the past few months and was just diagnosed with Ocular Rosacea.  Of all of the maladies I've had, this is one I would like to get over very, very quickly.  My eyes are so sore, red and itchy.  I have to use eye drops constantly, hot compresses, lid washes, the whole nine yards. And some days my eyes are so blurry I can barely see.

I was over it about two days after it started, but it's been going on for months now.  Saw the eye doc yesterday and she gave me a few things to try but said if it's not better in three months, she'll put me on meds.

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My speech is often mistaken for Brooklyn.  It's easy to see why since New Orleans and Brooklyn were melting pots of immigrants.  The "southern" accent everyone thinks is real is only in the movies. and the very bad ones at that.

23 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

My speech is often mistaken for Brooklyn.  It's easy to see why since New Orleans and Brooklyn were melting pots of immigrants.  The "southern" accent everyone thinks is real is only in the movies. and the very bad ones at that.

My parents watch that CSI/NCIS New Orleans shows and one of the guys can't seem to figure out if he wants to be from Alabama, Louisiana or Georgia. 

I moved around too much to get a strong accent and have purposefully modulated out what I do have, but two glasses of champagne and I'm in full blown southern belle flirt mode. Mr. cascarones still finds it as adorable as Joe's smitten love of Kendra's laugh, I hope when they're a few years in like we are Joe still immediately smiles when he hears it. I find young love very sweet to see, regardless of their beliefs and that they wouldn't be able to appreciate it across the full spectrum. 

Re: glasses. If it weren't for the fundamentalism, Joy would fit in in Portland, where all the hot girls wear glasses.

Spoiler

My God, on the subject of accents, I'm so sick of people coming into my college from the south and mimicking our accent as if we were goddamn from Canada or something. :annoyed:

Speaking of Canada, we are very sick of hearing "aboot" and "eh" and people asking us about bagged milk. So sorry but stop! :P 

If you guys think you have it bad, just think of telling people you're from Jamaica. 

I usually get a "ya mon" or a haphazard rendition of Bob Marley's One Love.

Jamaicans don't even say "mon". 

However I'm usually spared because my accent is virtually non-existent. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Speaking of Canada, we are very sick of hearing "aboot" and "eh" and people asking us about bagged milk. So sorry but stop!  

I hear the money smells like maple syrup.

20 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

... I don't want to insult any of our Northern friends, but I really need for this to be true... just another reason for me to gaze lovingly northward...  :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Speaking of Canada, we are very sick of hearing "aboot" and "eh" and people asking us about bagged milk. So sorry but stop! :P 

I actually have never heard of bagged milk before. 

Is it cool if I continue admiring your maple syrup and your Mounties though? And is it cool if I combine the two because I'm just kind of pervy like that?

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

... I don't want to insult any of our Northern friends, but I really need for this to be true... just another reason for me to gaze lovingly northward...  :pb_lol:

You mean I'm not the only one who reads Louise Penny as a travel guide? :my_tongue:

Just now, church_of_dog said:

You mean I'm not the only one who reads Louise Penny as a travel guide? :my_tongue:

I had to google who Louise Penny is. And now I'm slightly embarrassed. Lol! :pb_redface:

I'm not a big mystery novel person, but I'd be willing to give her work a try. From what I read, her style is more like the British "Whodunnits" and those can be pretty entertaining. 

49 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@VelociRapture This is actually true. I don't know why. Supposedly they didn't do it on purpose...

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived