IGNORED

Jinjer 31: Books, Books, and More Books

Coconut Flan

IMG_0229.thumb.PNG.ff3ee22eaf20a85eb056151e68cbb46e.PNG

Pretty sure this is the same black dress from that  wedding they attended a while back. She's just wearing a jacket over it. 

Jinger was always the most fashionable of the sisters.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

Pretty sure this is the same black dress from that  wedding they attended a while back. She's just wearing a jacket over it. 

Jinger was always the most fashionable of the sisters.

It's an old photo - it's the same wedding. Jeremy and Jinger are both in the same outfits. 

16 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

On a very shallow note here.....the dress seems to have been purchased new specifically for Jinger. So no matter what ideology..Jinger is having some fun overall. Which is nice. Ideology aside of course

She wore it as a bridesmaid in the Asian girl's wedding (not Jenni Hartono, although she's 9 months with her guy now) whose name escapes me. 

4 hours ago, marmalade said:

She wore it as a bridesmaid in the Asian girl's wedding (not Jenni Hartono, although she's 9 months with her guy now) whose name escapes me. 

Nawon (neé Kwan) Losli. 

Oh my gosh, they're actually giving back to the world in a genuinely kind and helpful way????!!! I love it!! Props to JinJer!!!!!!!!!! WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take notes, D-Wreck. :my_rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Now Jeremy and Jinger are working with Mrs. Vuolo on her new foundation:

Hide contents

59dea3c565b56_Screenshot-2017-10-11SWANScalingWallsANoteAtAtime.thumb.png.d7211b20fb47c84e3cfe618ab14716ca.png

The link in Jinger's instagram post links to a longer video of them describing the charity in greater detail. 

If it’s a legitimate charity and if it is doing legitimately useful work and the charity has all their finances in order... then major props to JinJer for drawing attention to a charity doing some actual good in the world. 

(Sorry for all the “ifs” - I’m naturally skeptical of anything linked to a Duggar in anyway.)

This is all well and good, but I looked up this charity the other day when someone asked about the education level of Jeremy's mother and sister.  The first page of the website sounds great about how they work with the children of those incarcerated, but digging in a little more there are strings attached to their charity.

From the website:  "SWAN's board members are Biblical Christians dependent on God's word, His Grace, wisdom and provision to carry SWAN onward.

As SWAN students learn the diciplines of music they are also exposed to Biblical mentoring and Gospel truths."

They do have links to their financial statements so it is a legit charity not a grift.

From the insta and video it's appears that Jinger and Jeremy are putting effort into a really important and well recognised issue. If all is in order with the charity fantastic.

Interesting but not surprising re Christian element? My thought would also be and wonder if Vuolos can/will say how else these children are being supported (emotionally, with education etc) to ensure music mentoring is one anongst a range of components in imoroving these children's lives.

BTW did anyone else think they were going to announce they'd adopted Anna?

18 minutes ago, HavetheyheardofBeyonce said:

they'd adopted Anna?

What? Anna Duggar? I don't understand.

What? Anna Duggar? I don't understand.

Anna is a young person within this programme, who also sang at their wedding. Sorry - should have been more specific!

I am happy for Jinger.  She is glowing in every picture you see of her.  Jinger reminds me a bit of the Bates girl who moved to Florida.  She will take what she wants from her upbringing and leave the rest.  I would be shocked if they had more than 3 kids.

i am just fascinated watching this relationship play out.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.profile&ein=451353501

The charity's revenue in under $1 million per year, so it's hard to do a lot of digging on the charity itself. It is somewhat legit from what I've seen so far, though. That being said, just because someone knows how to dot their I's and cross their T's doesn't mean that it is 100% great. It's hard to say with smaller charities like these. There is, of course, a Christian slant in their mission statement, but a lot of American charities are like that unfortunately. It all comes down to how pushy they are.

Things like this are always a test of my "athiest but not antitheist" stance. I really don't like the idea of pushing religious beliefs on at-risk kids, but what am I gonna do? Say that they shouldn't be permitted to try to evangelize, within reason? It's tricky.

That aside, this seems great. The ability to play music is an incredible gift for children, the prison-industrial complex is a big issue in the US, and financial statements!!!!! :my_biggrin:

48 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Things like this are always a test of my "athiest but not antitheist" stance. I really don't like the idea of pushing religious beliefs on at-risk kids, but what am I gonna do? Say that they shouldn't be permitted for trying evangelize, within reason? It's tricky.

That aside, this seems great. The ability to play music is an incredible gift for children, the prison-industrial complex is a big issue in the US, and financial statements!!!!! :my_biggrin:

This is how I feel.  These kids are already so vulnerable.  It just bugs me that there has to be a religious element.  Why can’t the organization just provide outreach services to kids without trying to suck them into their brand of Christianity?  My hope is that they aren’t too pushy and that the primary focus is keeping these kids from becoming statistics.  These kids have most likely been through so much already in life, they don’t need some yuppy preacher telling them that their parents are in jail because they didn’t make peace with Jesus or whatever nonsense Jeremy spews.

That being said, it’s nice to see a Duggar put their money where their mouth is and actually give back to the community.

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

If it’s a legitimate charity and if it is doing legitimately useful work and the charity has all their finances in order... then major props to JinJer for drawing attention to a charity doing some actual good in the world. 

(Sorry for all the “ifs” - I’m naturally skeptical of anything linked to a Duggar in anyway.)

It's good to research any charity, especially to see where the money actually goes.

8 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Now Jeremy and Jinger are working with Mrs. Vuolo on her new foundation:

Reveal hidden contents

59dea3c565b56_Screenshot-2017-10-11SWANScalingWallsANoteAtAtime.thumb.png.d7211b20fb47c84e3cfe618ab14716ca.png

This is great, but I've still found something to snark about, sorry Vuolos :(

It's not even something particular to fundamentalism, because I've seen others frame things in a similar fashion. People often argue in favour of welfare programmes in the same way, and it annoys me there, as well. From the website:

As children succeed our communities will become safer, our culture will be preserved and uplifted, and our tax dollars will be redirected from incarcerating people to building a better society. The average cost of child incarceration: $148k/ year/ child

It sticks out to me as jarring that one of the reasons you highlight for why your charity is good is because it saves you, the taxpayer, money. "These children are such an inconvenience, and you too can help to save the country money by donating to us!". It takes the focus off why it's morally good, in itself, to help the kids. If I were a child and heard this argument for why people thought it was worth it, it wouldn't make me feel very good. 

I understand why people make these arguments - often they are attempting to sway detractors with cold, hard, economics by highlighting why it is beneficial for everyone. They're instrumentalising any argument they can to help make their case. I'm criticising the argument, not the Vuolos desire to help these kids, which I believe is sincere. 

1 hour ago, seraaa said:

I understand why people make these arguments - often they are attempting to sway detractors with cold, hard, economics by highlighting why it is beneficial for everyone. They're instrumentalising any argument they can to help make their case. I'm criticising the argument, not the Vuolos desire to help these kids, which I believe is sincere. 

Having worked with nonprofits and political campaigns that were courting very wealthy donors, I'm not going to criticize any argument that gets Richley McRichington IV to sign the goddamn check.

Interesting, there's a decent sized ICE detention center in Laredo, I wonder if those kids get help too if the program scales to Laredo. I'm having trouble with the site since I'm on our dev computer, are there details of how the program is carried out? I remember my Mum being involved in something on visitation days at a school near the prison that was targeted at families who had to travel hours for short visits. I'll have to ask her, as I only remember the playground and one specific friend who stopped coming and Mum telling me that it was a very good thing.

If it's more focused within communities, does the mentorship and music stop as soon as the parent is released? I truly hope not, it's a big state of transition for families and recidivism rates are highest in the first year.

Props to them either way, from what I can see the kids get free music lessons and an instrument. They get to learn a skill and have something they can take pride in, it's tangible and continuing in a way simply preaching at someone isn't. 

I like that they are helping vulnerable children learn a skill such as playing a musical instrument. I don't like that they are taking these vulnerable children and pushing their version of Christianity on them. So good and bad, mixed feelings on it for sure. 

5 hours ago, seraaa said:

This is great, but I've still found something to snark about, sorry Vuolos :(

It's not even something particular to fundamentalism, because I've seen others frame things in a similar fashion. People often argue in favour of welfare programmes in the same way, and it annoys me there, as well. From the website:

It sticks out to me as jarring that one of the reasons you highlight for why your charity is good is because it saves you, the taxpayer, money. "These children are such an inconvenience, and you too can help to save the country money by donating to us!". It takes the focus off why it's morally good, in itself, to help the kids. If I were a child and heard this argument for why people thought it was worth it, it wouldn't make me feel very good. 

They're saying though that the money saved by reducing the amount of incarcerations can be used towards building a better society.  Which is definitely true, but one would have to wonder whta their vision of a better society is.

My comfort level with this charity will depend greatly on how much they push Christianity on the kids:

If it’s a case were they're exposing the kids to religious music and having them play it then that isn’t an issue. 

If it’s a case of having the kids play religious music and casually talking about the Bible or something, I’m not a fan but the pros may outweigh the cons.

If they’re actively using the possibility of music lessons as leverage and they flat out require the kids to listen to sermons or something, I have a big problem with that. That’s no better than offering non-Christians/non-Protestants food, but requiring they sit through your lame ass sermon or biblical play in order to get it.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived