IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

On September 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Jenn The Heathen said:

I don't get why Jill chose a dress that needed so much work to make it modest. 

When she put it on, her face lit up. I think it was because of the fit and flare cut. I doubt she had ever worn anything like that before and it probably felt sexy. IIRC it was a salesperson who encouraged her to try on all of the dresses she liked, not just modest ones, and told her that strapless dresses could be modified by adding lace on top. I remember thinking... Not really. It's not always as simple as that. 

• Upvote 7

On 9/17/2017 at 5:01 PM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

ooooooooooooh i love looking at dresses, i'm so in on this! I actually have a pinterest board entirely of wedding dresses that I think would suit various women (real or fictional) --- because playing dressup for myself isn't enough for my imagination haha. if I knew how to include spoilers I'd attach my preferences over some of the, ahem, *less-fortunate* Duggar wedding looks....

*SNIP*

you guys i figured out how to do spoilers O.o #technologicallychallenged lol.

Here's something like what I'd imagine Jessa in:

Spoiler

59c34a002e137_ScreenShot2017-09-17at4_46_40PM.thumb.png.20be472c1cc00f591c030376b6d7469f.png

And here's what I'd imagined as being more Joy's style:

Spoiler

modest-wedding-dresses-under-500-XdnT.jp

Meanwhile, Anna we don't know what wedding-dress style she might have gone with if she'd not worn her sister's, but thinking about how very basic and unassuming she was in the 18kac days......here's my preferred young-Anna-ish version of the simple short-sleeved gown:

Spoiler

0d7449d8fe8a32474652fbc3219b277b--bridal

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Hide contents

59c34a002e137_ScreenShot2017-09-17at4_46_40PM.thumb.png.20be472c1cc00f591c030376b6d7469f.png

I love this dress. There's so many really beautiful dresses that would fit the modesty rules but instead they go with dresses that need to be altered. 

• Upvote 9

I think it's interesting that so many seem to find Kendra's dress youthfull and contemporary. To me it aged her and for some reason made me think of Rachel Lynde (Avonlea fans out there?). Kendra is cute but "wide", not fat or anything, just wide features, and that dress made her look like a steamer sailing down the aisle. 
It's probably a regional thing (once again) but here sleek dresses are the current wedding trend and even the younger brides don't wear poofy ballgowns.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I love this dress. There's so many really beautiful dresses that would fit the modesty rules but instead they go with dresses that need to be altered. 

I always thought it may have to do with the price? I know TLC may pay for many things, but I suspect there's still a budget they want to follow for a wedding. And the first dress inside the spoiler is soooo gorgeous, but I suspect it's  expensive. I also think they had a deal when they bought the dresses, they may get a very good price because they offer exposure for that shop and so on. Not any brand would be interested in some kind of deal with them. And also there's the fact that they don't have much time since engagement until wedding.... so there are some factors that add up to that result. Of course I agree some of them could have done better even in those terms... but it's also a matter of taste/ culture and so on.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

But I'm also obsessed with your dress in general. I like the subtlety of the pattern a lot.

Thank you! That's why I picked it, I'd never seen anything like the pattern before. Well technically my dad did, I glanced at the price tag and it was $50 more than I wanted to spend so it stayed on the rack, but the lady told my dad he should at least pick one dress. He picked that one and happily the universe smiled on us and stacked both my parents veteran discounts. If anyone is dress shopping, I went through Brides for a Cause and highly recommend them! 

I like the first photo @Jinder Roles had of sleeves, but also love the idea of off the shoulder (just wish I had the stick out collar bones some girls are blessed with).  I also loved the veil ideas :) Since I embroidery I might try to replicate the pattern either on the edges of the veil or tulle of the flower girl dress, because I know she will want to look as much like a princess as possible. 

You all are so helpful!

• Upvote 6

@Baaaaaabe I love it! I LOVE the simple silhouette. It is so sexy and sophisticated. I wanted to do something like that for my wedding but I'm too short to pull it off without 5" heels, which I wasn't willing to do. 

In the end I went with something more like this:

Spoiler

59c3ebf083844_LunaGownA-57.thumb.jpg.1db9d39a0664611acdf879a982c889f7.jpg

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

@Baaaaaabe I love it! I LOVE the simple silhouette. It is so sexy and sophisticated. I wanted to do something like that for my wedding but I'm too short to pull it off without 5" heels, which I wasn't willing to do. 

In the end I went with something more like this:

Hide contents

59c3ebf083844_LunaGownA-57.thumb.jpg.1db9d39a0664611acdf879a982c889f7.jpg

Thank you!  I am not very tall, either, but it seems to suit my overall body type well.  I wanted something that would keep me from freezing and that didn't put pressure on my abdomen and I'm so happy I found something warm (the fabric is a nice, thick knit material) and comfortable. 

I really like your dress!  It's very ethereal I think. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Baaaaaabe said:

Thank you!  I am not very tall, either, but it seems to suit my overall body type well.  I wanted something that would keep me from freezing and that didn't put pressure on my abdomen and I'm so happy I found something warm (the fabric is a nice, thick knit material) and comfortable. 

I really like your dress!  It's very ethereal I think. 

Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for. It is smart to go for comfort. You don't want to be freezing and miserable on your wedding day. The same way I didn't want to roll an ankle or have burning neuroma pain on my wedding day.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Hide contents

Wow--that is a stunner.  I bet that it feels really good to wear, as well.

Edited by Satan'sFortress
I typed in the wrong box!
  • Upvote 4

@lokaste I get what you mean. The more I look at Kendra's dress, the less I like it. Everything is just so fluffy. 

Also, watching the JoKen wedding special made me realize that the ruffle skirt isn't as nice in motion. There's something slightly off about the placement of the ruffles.

Briefly considered switching Amy and Kendra in dress rankings. But damn Famy, that 2nd dress was not cute. 

• Upvote 2

I disliked Amy's wedding dress.  I didn't think it flattered her and I personally hate that boobs almost falling out look. Not because of modesty, I just don't like the look.  I did like her bridesmaid dresses though.  THey were very pretty

I think it is hard to find a strapless gown that works for a busty woman.  Even young and perky boobs look awkward pushed up and spilling over in a strapless dress. 

And, having worn strapless a time or two in my life, I always ended up spending the whole time I as in the dress tugging it back up into place, because they slide down. 

I like the one shoulder dress as an option to the strapless, especially for busty women. 

• Upvote 7

Mr. Right just looked at Michelle's vow renewal dress and said "is that a t-shirt under there!? That dress is ugly" :pb_lol: I'm a fan of Jinger's, hubs likes Jessa's. 

• Upvote 6

@Baaaaaabe and @Million Children For Jesus Sure, always happy to share! I'll message you a link to the Google Doc. If anyone else wants to look through, I'm happy to pass it along to you too. It's just something I really enjoyed putting together, and it makes me happy knowing I might help someone else's wedding planning go smoothly. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I would love a copy, even though I'm single with no wedding in sight. I love making lists and I already have a decent folder started with wedding menus and desserts. (Priorities.) Didn't choose a dress or a man yet, but I am narrowing down the dessert list. 

Priorities! We had a build your own rice bowl buffet - we've been married almost 5 years and I STILL hear about how much people loved the food! It was cold and smack dab in the middle of winter in Minnesota, so we wanted to treat people to a good meal. 

We didn't have a cake, but served cupcakes, pudding, and Lindt truffles. The pudding our caterer included on his own, as my husband and I came up with a play on the whole unity candle/sand/cord thing, as I find those things kinda silly. One of my sisters was joking after we got engaged that we should do something off the wall, like unity pudding. We thought that was hilarious and decided to do that at the reception. 

Since neither of us are big fans of alcohol and our reception was at the church (no alcohol allowed anyways), we served bubble tea (I think it's called boba tea outside of the Midwest). At the time, it wasn't as well known as it is now. My in-laws felt super cool showing off how to drink it to their friends. 

The centerpieces were thrift store knick knacks I spray painted blue. Also included coloring pages and crayons at all the tables.

48098_10101452622386000_2001792173_n.jpg

• Upvote 14

I think it is hard to find a strapless gown that works for a busty woman.  Even young and perky boobs look awkward pushed up and spilling over in a strapless dress. 

I only encountered actually that awkward push up look once in strapless before I found VS. To me finding a prefect bra took care of my triple Ds spillage and VS bras despite being crappy are the only bras that ever really worked for me.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, MarbleRainbow said:

I've actually compiled a 12 page wedding planning document with all the tips and what no to do's and other random wedding planning stuff since I got married almost 5 years ago.

@MarbleRainbow - I would love to see your document.  I have a son getting married in 2018.  

• Upvote 5

On 21/09/2017 at 3:23 PM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Hide contents

And here's what I'd imagined as being more Joy's style:

Hide contents

modest-wedding-dresses-under-500-XdnT.jp

Meanwhile, Anna we don't know what wedding-dress style she might have gone with if she'd not worn her sister's, but thinking about how very basic and unassuming she was in the 18kac days......here's my preferred young-Anna-ish version of the simple short-sleeved gown:

Hide contents

0d7449d8fe8a32474652fbc3219b277b--bridal

Oooh, I'm going to play too!

I honestly wouldn't change anything about Jessa and Kendra's dresses, apart from making them higher quality versions of the same things really. I thought both dresses really suited them and their personalities.

Don't get me wrong, Jinger's dress was spectacular and she looked beautiful, but I wasn't entirely sure if if it was really her style at the time. This is more of what I pictured for her.

Spoiler

s635402862218861374_p50_i12_w640.jpeg.b89eaf5b29334654bd57e4054e715dd3.jpeg

For Joy, as a non-girly girl, I'd have picked something minimalist but still with a full skirt, since apparently a train was important to her. 

Spoiler

TB7702-1000x1320.thumb.jpg.7038350c42f9616f5d98505a34aa43ca.jpg

TB7702B-1000x1320.thumb.jpg.5f9c2b712fbec743df09ba97b65d0779.jpg

For Jill - the same sort of vibe, but  without the need for modesteining.

Spoiler

Maggie-Sottero-Wedding-Dress-Lindsey-Marie-7MT422-Main.thumb.jpg.bc6815c2b479de290daf2c1428d5013a.jpg

For Anna - I can't imagine her in anything but a traditional, structured style, but I think if she were choosing today she'd go for something with a touch of lace. So this is my pick for her:

Spoiler

ade8f871ab9564a94ca34e6b2b018f04.thumb.jpg.bfc65e92707af5d7ac82b491ba65b6e2.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 10

@MarbleRainbow Your dress in the pudding ceremony photo looks absolutely gorgeous! 

Wedding dresses   :banana-dance:     wedding dresses  :banana-dance:  wedding dresses   :banana-dance:!!

• Upvote 8

32 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

@MarbleRainbow Your dress in the pudding ceremony photo looks absolutely gorgeous! 

Wedding dresses   :banana-dance:     wedding dresses  :banana-dance:  wedding dresses   :banana-dance:!!

Aaw, thanks! Would you believe I got it off Etsy for a little over $200 (and custom made to boot)?! 
Also, I am loving this thread too - I absolutely love looking at people's wedding pictures (even people I don't know)!

• Upvote 4

I love that I get to add "pudding ceremony" to my vast (sarcasm) wedding knowledge, thanks to @MarbleRainbow! Before this, I was familiar with unity candles, a sand ceremony, a couple who stomped grapes together (wedding at a winery), and a couple who put together a cross.  (cross picture under spoiler)

Spoiler

2017-09-22-12-13-58-.jpg.4a03ef89281bfed534d8ad436dcf4fdf.jpg

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic