IGNORED

Lori Alexander 29: Gossiping about Gossip

Coconut Flan

14 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

At one point I remember reading she advised washing and resuing the styrofoam trays grocery store meat came on, including trays chicken came on.

I cannot imagine one single use for these trays even if I could get past the obvious need for sterilization. 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

I cannot imagine one single use for these trays even if I could get past the obvious need for sterilization. 

And she didn't have Norwex cloths back then, either! :pb_eek:

My in-laws received their prescription medication "free" through retiree benefits. The catch was that they had to drive three hours to the nearest base to get them. The last few years, it has been necessary for someone to drive them and we have been trying to convince them to switch to mail order, the cost of which would equal the gas expense of the drive and their meals on the road. 

They also had access to the commissary on these trips. The first time I drove them down, I was expecting them to really stock up on groceries. They boought...one roll of paper towels. :roll: Three hours one way and we spent twenty minutes in the pharmacy and bought some Bounty. 

When I visited the PX while visiting my son on base, I was really surprised at the merchandise. It was mainly high end items, like Downey and Burke purses and designer brand clothing. Granted, the prices are typically about 20% cheaper than civilian stores and there is no sales tax. Still, I found myself wondering how young families on military pay could afford such things. I did treat myself to a Vera Bradley tote bag but I was expecting the merchandise to be more moderate. 

3 hours ago, usmcmom said:

My husband once had to fire someone who happened to live in our neighborhood. The man he fired did not have all of his office keys, etc with him so Human Resources told him he could just drop it by our house - where I happened to be alone through the day with two small children. They called me to tell me this arrangement. I called my husband and asked him to put a stop to that plan NOW. I did not want a disgruntled ex-emploeee showing up on my doorstep. USMCDAD called the HR office and ripped them a new one. 

No snark at all - Ken is foolish for putting his address on the internet like that when his wife is often home alone - sometimes caring for her grandkids. He should list email and phone number only and if he needs to meet with someone, make arrangements in such a way that does not include publicizing his address. 

But what do I know - Ken knows all about being the protector and provider and laying down his life...blah, blah, blah.  I'm just a foolish woman. 

My husband owns a business, knife sharpening and he sells knives and shooting targets.  He has a PO Box and he has a website.  He doesn't use our home address, because it is just stupid.  When he has a sharpening job, he will either meet the client at a neutral location or go to their business (he does a lot of sheers for groomers).  The only client that knows our address happens to be our neighbor.  Because he isn't stupid.  Unlike Ken.  

12 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

When I visited the PX while visiting my son on base, I was really surprised at the merchandise. It was mainly high end items, like Downey and Burke purses and designer brand clothing. Granted, the prices are typically about 20% cheaper than civilian stores and there is no sales tax. Still, I found myself wondering how young families on military pay could afford such things. I did treat myself to a Vera Bradley tote bag but I was expecting the merchandise to be more moderate. 

Imagine living in Japan and only having access to a NEX for clothing, as you were slightly too big for Japanese sized clothes. And I'm not talking overweight... I'm talking like a size 8 and medium shirt. 

This is why I'd spend like 500 dollars shopping each time I came back to the states. The only jeans my nex sold was True Religion or similar styles. 

@usmcmom, the only time I buy something at the Navy Exchange is when it's on clearance, and then there's a 50% off the clearance price promo going on, usually on a holiday weekend. I've scored several Vera Bradley bags in the past few years for well under $20 that way. I've gotten a couple pairs of Converse that cheap, too, although they're getting harder to find on the clearance tables. The exchanges really seem to cater more to higher level officers and their families these days, than to the average enlisted families. 

I haven't shopped at an NEX or AAFEES in years. I'm just not impressed. I even priced washers and dryers, thinking we'd get a better deal at the AAFEES here at Nellis than we would in town and well...nope. Lowe's and Home Depot have better prices and give military discounts. Even with the "no sales tax" they're still more expensive. The only thing I used to get regularly was gas at the Shoppette. Back in the day it was about 20 cents cheaper than in town. 

I'll have to hit the Nellis commissary soon to compare prices to WinCo and Smith's again. 

5 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The VA does not treat dependents. Retired Navy means they had CHAMPUS. Back in the dark ages, the commissary was the cheapest thing going....but I do better at WinCo. Retired military now have TRI-CARE...I believe there is a cost for it now. As a general rule, retired military do not have access to the actual military medical system...TRI-CARE is for going out on the economy for medical care. 

**how I know...hubs is retired Navy reserve. He has access to the VA (there is an income limit for VA eligibility if you do not have a service connected disability), but I do not have any access to military medical at all. I lost my Medicaid at the end of August because our income is "too high"...less than 24k/yr. 

You know, as I was writing that, I was wondering if I was right. There are no military personnel in my family, so it occurred to me that I did not know what I was talking about it. And it appears that is true! It sounds like her husband, and maybe Amy herself, could go to the VA, but not their kids.

I have often felt that our country treats it's veterans poorly, and I've heard (only through hearsay) that medical care there is often not the best. So I suppose there's also the question of whether you'd even want the care the government offers.

I suppose Amy D does deserve the praise she's received. Medical care or no, I was actually always rather impressed by her out of the box thinking, although politically I think we are very different people.

7 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

Also, another thing that hinted at money worries for Lorkien, is when Lori had conflicts with Ken because he no longer wanted to pay for Cassi's tutition at BIOLA and she transferred to a cheaper state school.

They did not do that with the boys, however. The boys have degrees from BIOLA. It seems to me they spent far less on education for the girls, and did so deliberately. Poor Alyssa did not get private high school or any college at all. Perhaps that's what she wanted, perhaps not. 

11 hours ago, Koala said:

Yes, they are not the Church of Lori Alexander.  I can understand how that'd be hard to tolerate. :roll:

Exactly.  Ken and Lori are going to find something wrong with EVERY church they go to.

2 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Exactly.  Ken and Lori are going to find something wrong with EVERY church they go to.

I think most people who see church as a club that should cater to their needs will find fault with every single one.  Things start to change when we understand that we, the believers, are the church.  Lori teaches a lot of stuff that actually applies to church: put up with each-other's weaknesses, let God do the convicting while we continue offering love, live with situations that we don't like, be dependent on the Head of the Church (not the pastor, but Jesus), etc...   Bottom line, The Church is not the place where you go demanding that everyone do as you would like them to do.  

@onemama the church is supposed to be a hospital for sinners not a country club for saints. And...you will never find the "perfect" church....it's full of imperfect people. Lori and Ken expect even God to kiss their asses.

Reader:

Do you believe that in modern day slaves should submit to their masters?

Lori:

yes

Lori is a vile, cruel woman.  Absolutely disgusting.  There's no excuse...

9 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

If the trays are from non-meat products, like bakery goodies or produce department, I use them at my jewelry/assorted other crap table to hold bits of paint, glue, glitter, that kind of thing, as disposable mess-keepers. But YMMV, and the trays from the meat department?  Ick, no. 

We haven't been stationed overseas yet, but stateside PX's are INSANELY expensive. I'll pop in for the clearance clothes and booze, but that's it. As for the health care, I can and have gone to the VA for my care (I'm a 50% disabled veteran), but most of the time it's easier to go to the on post hospital for care. Mr. Bonkers is active duty, so it's no cost for me and the little Bonkers. Once he retires with his 20 plus, I think we will pay $565 per year for Tricare Prime for us.

I DO know that post-retirement, as empty nesters, we won't be living in a 3500 square foot, 6 bedroom house. Mr. B and I go back and forth on tiny houses (he votes yes, I vote no). I need a good size kitchen for canning and preserving and a sewing room for my quilting. Lori, it seems, just needs a chair to read in and a desk for a computer.

Today's post is rich.

John MacArthur had this to say about women in the 90s but it still sadly defines too many women today: 

She hires a maid or a cleaning service, eats out at least 50 percent of the time with her family 

Lori did/does exactly that, and she doesn't even have a job as an excuse.

makes sure she can compete in the attention-getting contest

Lori has: a blog, a book, a Twitter, a Pinterest, 3 Facebook pages, and Instagram.  And guys?  SHE WENT VIRAL!  She even mentions it in this post, because she ISN'T in an "attention-getting contest" like most women.

puts the kids in a day care center

OR stays home, hires a nanny, and watches her care for the children while she..."rests"

She is opinionated, demanding, wants to be heard

According to Lori herself, she has very strong opinions, and her blog is evidence that she wants to be heard.

She continues:

Right after I read this, I received this comment that someone had just left on my post that went viral last year

See: attention-getting contest/wants to be heard

We, as godly women, are to be keepers at home with meek and quiet spirits living simply within our husband’s income

Lori "lives simply" by vacationing for "several months" each summer.  Lori "lives simply" by spending HUNDREDS of dollars on beauty products.  Lori "lives simply" by destroying her counter tops so she can get a kitchen remodel 5 years ahead of schedule.  Lori "lives simply" by eating out a few times a week, posting pics to Instagram, and then admonishing her readers not to waste money eating out.  Lori "lives simply" by putting 2 people in a 6 bedroom, 3 bathroom house, worth OVER a MILLION DOLLARS.  

Yes, Moderate Mentor, tell us more about "living simply".  It's easy to say women should expect no help from their husbands when you have a maid to do all of your work.

31 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Denying any accountability again.  if you are destroyed by my teachings, not my fault.

Just wow!  The lack of self-awareness in this "doodle" is astounding.  She is basically describing herself and her followers.  I'm just...wow

8 hours ago, Hisey said:

They did not do that with the boys, however. The boys have degrees from BIOLA. It seems to me they spent far less on education for the girls, and did so deliberately. Poor Alyssa did not get private high school or any college at all. Perhaps that's what she wanted, perhaps not. 

I thought Alyssa went to the private high school for her senior year.

1 hour ago, delphinium65 said:

If the trays are from non-meat products, like bakery goodies or produce department, I use them at my jewelry/assorted other crap table to hold bits of paint, glue, glitter, that kind of thing, as disposable mess-keepers. But YMMV, and the trays from the meat department?  Ick, no. 

My mom also does the same thing with those plastic containers for her crafts projects.  Saving meat trays is just gross. It reminds me of those Extreme Cheapskate episodes where some people who reuse styrofoam products for a few times.

7 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Maybe, Ken and Lori should home church. They could try convincing their son and DIL who live close by to attend their home church and then Lori's parents can also attend.

'Women, know the word of God...'  But aren't we just supposed to submit to our husbands, and let them teach us everything else we need to know? You know, since we're so easily deceived and all...

7 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I try to be thrifty but saving meat trays is going too far. So is ironing tissue paper to reuse, like my MIL does. 

Well...I Do reuse tissue paper if it's in decent shape to start with, but I draw the line at ironing it! :pb_lol:

If you fall for deceptive teachers its your fault for not knowing your bible!  BUT WAIT women are more easily deceived? Talk about blaming the victim...

Is she saying if we just know the bible well enough then that negates the woman are more easily deceived bit?

1 hour ago, Curious said:

Just wow!  The lack of self-awareness in this "doodle" is astounding.  She is basically describing herself and her followers.  I'm just...wow

I thought the same thing. This doodle just baffles my mind!

16 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

If you fall for deceptive teachers its your fault for not knowing your bible!  BUT WAIT women are more easily deceived? Talk about blaming the victim...

Lori is nothing if not consistent with this one. Everything else, not so much, but she's 100% on that women-are-always-at-fault thing.

Slaves obey their masters? Fuck you Lori. My people would definitely be on the plantation if she was in charge, bitch. She can't think her way out of a paper bag and has no heart at all. I dislike her intensely. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived