IGNORED

Counting On: Season 4, Part 1: Back to Planet Duggarville

choralcrusader8613

If they're writing a formal academic paper and using 'whenever' in place of 'when' then they're using it wrong. If they're saying 'whenever' in their day-to-day conversations, it's not wrong. It's just different. Doesn't matter if it sounds stupid or funny or 'uneducated' to anyone. I don't want to live in a world where regional variations and dialects have to conform to the exacting standards of the 'educated', the wealthy, and the powerful.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've spent my entire adult life having to super-prove myself as intelligent simply because I have a Southern accent.

Oh, you're Southern? Guess you're plenty dumb, so I'll talk REALLLLLL SLLLLOOOOWWWW so you can try to understand what I'm saying.

I have plenty of Southernisms sprinkled throughout my spoken (and sometimes written, but only in informal settings because I write for a living) dialog. I frequently say "Who all is going?" or "What all did you buy?" and I use y'all like salt-on-french-fries.

But to assume I'm stupid/uneducated/don't know better because I use colloquialisms and regional dialect is presumptuous, condescending, and rude.

I am also a Southern woman. I have lived in NC my whole life. It is my pet peeve that folks think that I am dumb, racist, redneck, conservative and backwards. I  live within 30 minutes of 3 major universities-I have degrees from 2 of them.(my county voted blue)....DON'T MAKE ME GET UGLY!

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

If they're writing a formal academic paper and using 'whenever' in place of 'when' then they're using it wrong. If they're saying 'whenever' in their day-to-day conversations, it's not wrong. It's just different. Doesn't matter if it sounds stupid or funny or 'uneducated' to anyone. I don't want to live in a world where regional variations and dialects have to conform to the exacting standards of the 'educated', the wealthy, and the powerful.

THIS, I get sick of grammar police everywhere.  I'm a notoriously bad speller and grammar is NOT my thing.  I'm very well educated, but not in this area.  Now if I notice someone is making grammatical errors in professional emails or mailings sent to the public, you know YOU have a problem, as generally those thinks just blow right past me. I speak much better than I write, I often say I know all the words but can only spell 1/2 of them.  I often tell people relax I'm telling you poop jokes on social media not defending my dissertation at Harvard.

10 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

I am also a Southern woman. I have lived in NC my whole life. It is my pet peeve that folks think that I am dumb, racist, redneck, conservative and backwards. I  live within 30 minutes of 3 major universities-I have degrees from 2 of them.(my county voted blue)....DON'T MAKE ME GET UGLY!

Being a blue dot in a red sea SUCKS. I live in a VERY conservative area of Iowa, just outside of Des Moines, I'm telling you DH & I stick out like sore thumbs.   My SIL's family is from S. TN and they have low tooth counts, no jobs, disability and like them some marijuana and moonshine. They live in a trailer  in the woods, and have all the redneck trappings.  They are the quintessential southerners.  Now my BIL who is from W. TX and his family while conservative are VERY well educated and very wealthy and worked VERY hard to NOT sound like they were from the south, because of that prejudice.  They could move into NYC and fit right in, my brother's inlaws on the other hand would be the Clampet's.

Just now, nst said:

on my bucket list is to go to Savannah Georgia - so I think I would like southern people 

I adore Savannah. Do not go in the summer or You.Will.Die. I'm Southern, and grew up in heat/humidity. Savannah is the seventh-circle-of-hell-heat-humidity.

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I adore Savannah. Do not go in the summer or You.Will.Die. I'm Southern, and grew up in heat/humidity. Savannah is the seventh-circle-of-hell-heat-humidity.

see I like places like Nantucket (which is amazing) Martha's Vineyard (again amazing) 

but dream places are Montauk, Mystic, Savannah, Hamptons, Graceland ie Memphis

Memphis is near my hometown, so I went there a LOT. That said, I haven't been there in about ten years, and really have no desire to go back. I've never been an Elvis fan, and my parents grew up going to the dives Elvis played before he hit it big. There's something special about the MidSouth area - and Memphis is the capital of the MidSouth. The accent is slightly different from other Southern accents (yes, there are a variety of Southern accents!).

When we were on the train in Scotland last week (the Jacobite Steam Train - the HOGWARTS EXPRESS!!!) a lady across the aisle was obviously Southern, so I asked her if she was from East Tennessee/Western North Carolina. She was from Gatlinburg - nailed it in one. lol

9 hours ago, Letizia said:

Perhaps you will appreciate this old joke:

A snobbish English teacher was sitting in an Atlanta airport coffee shop waiting for her flight back to Connecticut, when a friendly southern belle sat down next to her.

"Where y'all goin' to?" asked the southern belle.

Turning her nose in the air, the snob replied "I don't answer people who end their sentences with prepositions."

The southern belle thought a moment, and tried again.

"Where y'all goin' to, BITCH?"

I just asked my brother (BA in linguistics among other degrees) about this last week. He says it IS correct in English to end a sentence with a preposition, but everyone thinks it's not because it's NOT correct in LATIN. I thought that was interesting but not enough that I care to research it further!!! Is further a preposition???

1. chorizo  Sorry folks, but it just arrived where I live in nowhereland, Ohio. (very rural). We don't all live in hip urban ethic areas.

2. Language No Duggar will ever write an academic paper so let's skip it. Regional speech varies! AnywaySSSS is my pet peeve.

3. Josie crying in the dress shop?? How old is she????

4. Gross house--yep, repos and foreclosures are gross. You get the shovel and start in. It isn't always worth it though. You can get in and have to spend almost as much as for a new house.

5. Kendra giggling/squeeling etc. Slap her now, please. Sounds like a 7th grade--which is about where she is emotionally.

6. Red Velvet cake makes me deathly ill. I can't touch it. Maybe he has the same problem?

7. Jchelle did something with a baby except pop it out? Henry? Henry speak to us? Are you still alive, Sweetie?

8. If Ben's the adult that alone says why this show needs to go away forever.

46 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

1. chorizo  Sorry folks, but it just arrived where I live in nowhereland, Ohio. (very rural). We don't all live in hip urban ethic areas.

Where I'm from you don't need chorizo, we have Graziano's Italian sausage. it is similar to Chorizo, but it has a lot of different spices in it.  If a recipe calls for one the other will do in a pinch, they are both good, but in different ways.  There is a very big Italian community in the Des Moines area, so we have a lot of great places to get really good authentic Italian food.

I can only imagine the no hand holding rule like this. Joe since puberty not being able to masterbate .  Highly forbidden punishable activity. You can't even do it in the shower because you have been timed. Can't do it on the John because brothers are timing you outside the door waiting to find you. You can't do it in your bed because a zillion boys inhabit your bedroom. He can't relieve himself in his vehicle after dropping her off either because he has a chaperone with him. 

The only place would be a private singular bathroom somewhere. Or a field like in Angela's Ashes.

You have been sHamed your whole life not to look at women anywhere. Your boner is a manifestation of sin and not a biological part of your mind and body.

Good grief I would not be surprised at all if he got a boner at the mere touch on his clothing by Kendra.

It's not like he was able to mingle and horse around with girls and women growing up. He couldn't bounce on the trampoline falling on other girls and teens, dance with them, get squished up against them on a carnival ride, or play games in a pool with a girl in a regular swimsuit. No horsing around chasing and flinging girls on his shoulders and throwing them in a lake. 

I have no doubt the mere thought of getting remotely close to her raised a boner. With  no  place to jack off and give himself a way to release tension the only way would be for him to survive would be to avoid tension.

What a poor miserable experience.

Ben mentioned on a talking heads he broke their standards, and mentioned struggling with purity. You bet your bottom dollar when went back to his man cave somewhere on that Duggar compound he wacked off.  Poor kid. 

So maybe Joe confided in Kendra dad and he conveyed it to her. 

So I watched the last 20 mins in real time and the first 30 on the DVR.  So I just have about 10 in the middle to go and can't comment on the J/J section. Buuut, Spurgeon with the green beans was great.  Henry appears to be passed around, I like how they showed M holding him.  This was right after Anna purposefully said that M comes and helps with each new grandchild.  Hmmmm, I'm wondering what criticism they are addressing.  :think:  BTW I believe that was Laura holding Henry while the girls were trying on dresses.  

And am I the only one that noticed that Joy got the same type of cake as her sistermom?  I also love  how all of these recaps ignore Josh and Anna's wedding.  It's like they are trying to do a Jedi mind trick.  There is no wedding prior to Jill's.  There is no kidult named Josh.  Josh and Anna no longer exist.  I didn't see her trying on a dress either.  And she was definitely in the wedding party.  She was the only bridesmaid other than Jill to not be there.  Hmmmm. 

The whole rollerblading thing was ridiculous.  Just hold her damn hand.  I do agree that Joe is going out of his way to appear above board due to joshly.  I had a friend in HS that had a parent involved in a sex scandal.  She was always worried that someone would think she was promiscuous because of it.  She dressed more conservatively than the duggars.  Turtle necks in the summer with a loose button down over it.  

Jill doing her own prenatal care was ridiculous.  What would she have done if she did have pre-eclampsia??  And she wouldn't have been able to check that just based on her BP.  There are other criteria and symptoms.  Would she brush off a mildly elevated BP and hope for the best?  Or go the 2+ hrs to the nearest city to go to the hospital??? 

I'm still wondering if we see Samuel's birth.  It makes no sense if we don't.  

I introduced my husband to the term "handsex" last night. He was making chicken while the episode was airing and watched Joy and Austin try wedding cakes. 

I have an evangelical cousin who is engaged and they are saving themselves for marriage. I think this is great for them because they came to the decision themselves, and they don't judge other people for their decisions on sex.

Anyways, my cousin and his fiance are basically like watching Josh and Anna handsex 2.0. My husband watched the scene where Joy and Austin grope each other's palms and made the comment, "That's how you can tell they're not banging, because they're attached at the hand."

He then proceeded to say, "Hey, it's just like your cousin!"

I had to nod. He's basically correct on that one.

Then, Mr. Museum said, "It's so annoying. When we go out to dinner, it's like, 'Jesus Christ, can I eat my fucking meal in peace?'"

I proceeded to tell my husband that FJ has a term for this, and it's called handsex. He REALLY loved that.

10 minutes ago, JMO said:

I'm still wondering if we see Samuel's birth.  It makes no sense if we don't.  

I don't think we will. If you go to TLC's site you'll see the Counting One show ad with Jessa & Ben , Jinger & Jeremy & Joy & Austin with the clip of Joe & Kendra's wedding.  Its like they aren't even acknowledging Jill & DeWreck.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've spent my entire adult life having to super-prove myself as intelligent simply because I have a Southern accent.

People with British accent perhaps the opposite? I have a co-worker from England and it took us months to figure out he's not that bright and fairly lazy. Also he is charming, tall, blond, good-looking, it all sort of dazzled me initially, but now I would call anyone other than him for help.

Preconceived bias is dumb. I was born in Arkansas myself!

6 minutes ago, Rio said:

People with British accent perhaps the opposite? I have a co-worker from England and it took us months to figure out he's not that bright and fairly lazy. Also he is charming, tall, blond, good-looking, it all sort of dazzled me initially, but now I would call anyone other than him for help.

Preconceived bias is dumb. I was born in Arkansas myself!

Absolutely - hubby is a Brit; his nephews have the most adorable British accents, but they're dumb as stumps. They do use "different" words in everyday conversation than (most) Americans do, which I think contributes to the illusion of educated/smart.

Am behind a few pages, but in watching episode 2, which is marked all wrong on my schedule and with new DVR, the first one it caught, anyway, I just feel really sorry for Joe being under such pressure to very strictly follow every rule with exactness and checklists and an overarching need to present well, when he's really just a nice guy who was gonna do the right thing naturally anyway, regardless of his awful brother. And my goodness, Kendra is so young compared to Joy, if that makes any damn sense at all. She's married a Duggar son test case, too, which is really weird. I wonder how much ignoring everyone does in rl of whatshisface. I hope it's all the ignoring possible.

Joy impresses me as an individual subject. Even if she never forges a more normal path, I think she will forge her own within the cult-like existence she's remaining semi-cloaked in. And she and Austin are both go-getters. She made a point of saying she was the first sister with a house of her own. Not all the Duggars and Duggar satellites are so, obviously. It could be great or evil; time will tell.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Jill doing her own prenatal care was ridiculous.  What would she have done if she did have pre-eclampsia??  And she wouldn't have been able to check that just based on her BP.  There are other criteria and symptoms.  Would she brush off a mildly elevated BP and hope for the best?  Or go the 2+ hrs to the nearest city to go to the hospital??? 

Would she check her own blood sugar and A1C for gestational diabetes?  Does she know what to do about her RH factor?

ETA: I shudder at the leg humpers wanting to emulate her now.

Regarding indecision: One of my dearest friends is the most undecisive person ever. It's very frustrating for me because every decision falls on to me to make. She always says, "oh I don't care, I just want to hang out" Newflash, me too. I don't want to decide every activity, every time point, every restraunt, every Who's driving. Arrrgh! I know she thinks she's being easy and flexible, but in reality it's quite frustrating to never get any input. I know we all think the men have it easy in this cult (and I won't argue they certainly have it easier) but I emphasize on this point.

@SapphireSlytherin no shit girlfriend! Just because I say y'all (there's you, y'all and all y'all), and when pissed sound like I'm from the backwoods of Alabama, even though I grew up in Virginia, can cuss like the sailor's wife I am, and seem to lack those elusive degrees, people think I'm some kind of stupid. I have a news flash for y'all....one of the most experienced, longest serving astronauts in the history of NASA still sounds like he just climbed out of the backwoods. 2 Gemini flights, 2 Apollo flights and the first Space Shuttle flight (he flew once more on the shuttle) and he's a fucking genius. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP6VA1rqi8o&list=PLEzTCuzD-_t6Mh_k0ENDaTpH8Fp0OyLSJ

So...get over yourselves with the accent and colloquialisms (ooohhhh big word from the redneck). I can write, speak and spell "standard" English if I have to, but last I checked this wasn't a Comp 1 class. 

It seems less well-rounded to not understand the difference between informal and colloquial speech and an actual lack of standard English knowledge. Most people speak one way, write another, depending on who they are speaking to or writing for. If we don't use Southernisms, we use other expressions that would sound odd, undoubtedly, in regions other than our own. Perhaps we are not all aware of it, but we all do it.

It's social, whether in large groups or small. Everyone in my family is well-spoken, with fine working vocabularies, but we have also developed our own ever-evolving code that would sound ridiculous and foolish in some other context. And we aren't unique in that regard, though possibly more inventive than some, less than others.

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Would she check her own blood sugar and A1C for gestational diabetes?  Does she know what to do about her RH factor?

ETA: I shudder at the leg humpers wanting to emulate her now.

The blood sugar thing is concerning for sure.

IF she was a RH positive person, then the RH factor isn't and issue at all, and likely that is how she is, I'm sure we would have heard otherwise with Iz.

6 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

The coffee scene with Jeremy and jinger really bothered me. It annoyed me because she knew she was right but "obeyed" her husband to leave it open. First he said very angrily "I wanted coffee not lava, open it." No please or thank you. Why did he the. insist that she leave it open as he drives? Why would you take a chance of having lava spilled on her legs? She looked really upset at first but laughed it off when she should've really gotten into him about it. He's funny but his arrogance is starting to spill through. 

Yes!  I'm very surprised this scene is getting so little attention - it really bothered me as well.  How can he go from being pissed that the coffee is mad hot and then in the next breath insist that Jinger risk getting burned (for no damn reason other than to prove he's right)?  Argh.  Jeremy is good looking (not my type, but objectively he is handsome) and can be funny at times, but man i wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole if I was Jinger - he just oozes arrogance.

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived