IGNORED

Hurricanes Jose, Katia, and Maria

Cartmann99

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

They got to the Greek alphabet, if they run out of names. 

Although, here's a fact; my facebook memories from yesterday was that on September 17th, 2011 Hurricane Maria hit Newfoundland and closed the university for half a day. So in 2011, Maria was not only formed but had already moved up the Eastern Seaboard and into the North Atlantic. 

Yea the use the same names on a rotating cycle unless they are really bad.  Really bad ones get their names retired.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Yea the use the same names on a rotating cycle unless they are really bad.  Really bad ones get their names retired.

Yes, but my meaning is that clearly Maria was already a well formed storm that has passed up into the North Atlantic 6 years ago yesterday. She's still down south as of now. Ophelia didn't hit until October of 2011. We're due for a slowdown this year. 

Fuck fuck fuck fuck, it's supposed to be a 4 when it hits PR now. SO DONE WITH THIS SHIT MAKE IT FUCKING STOP!

I think there was a year in the not-too-distant past where we went almost all the way through the alphabet. The difference was most never got past tropical storms. This whole Jose-Maria thing, really, hurricane wars now?

Maria, the bitch, is now a category 3!

Per CNN:

As feared, Hurricane Maria rapidly strengthened Monday morning as it took aim at Puerto Rico and islands left in ruins by Hurricane Irma. 

In just three hours, Maria's maximum sustained winds jumped from 90 mph to 110 mph (175 kilometers per hour), the National Hurricane Center said. 

6 minutes ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

<space snip>

In just three hours, Maria's maximum sustained winds jumped from 90 mph to 110 mph (175 kilometers per hour), the National Hurricane Center said. 

<sarcasm> Good thing climate change is a hoax.</sarcasm>

Yeah, time to make those hotel reservations I hope I won't have to use again. Getting ahead of it this time so I can get into my favorite evacuation hotel. Seriously, WTH!

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:
Maria is going to be a category 4 hurricane before she makes a direct hit upon Puerto Rico. 
Maria being a major bitch, all according to CNN
There's nothing that can be said but, fuck. Prayers for all those who are going to be affected. [emoji20] 

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I’m so done with this shit. My PR friends who were concerned about Irma are flat out terrified about Maria.

Apparently the town it’s supposed to make landfall in is, unfortunately, where the main power generation for the whole island is done. I’m sure you can see the problem.

Hurricane Maria being the destructive Category 5 bitch that she is, has destroyed/crippled/*insert horrible adjective here the island of Dominica. 

Mind Boggling Damage

She slowed for a bit becoming a Category 4 but she has jumped back up to a 5. :( 

Someone seriously needs to be busy getting the people who are left on those islands already damaged by Irma out of there. Our government needs to be taking military aircraft down to P.R. now. Supplies and water in, people out.

I agree! These are American territories. We have an obligation to help them. I swear if the word refugees is used, I'll flip my shit!

I was wondering where the earthquake thread could be found.  Poor Mexico.  It looks bad.  And on the anniversary of the huge quake from 1985...

At least this time someone got hold of Trumps phone and tweeted:  "God bless the people of Mexico City. We are with you and will be there for you."

I hope we as a country can do something to help, but it's going to be difficult because of the hurricanes.

I agree! These are American territories. We have an obligation to help them. I swear if the word refugees is used, I'll flip my shit!

You are not alone. These are fucking Americans.

The winds are up to 175 now. I’m just trying not to cry.

3 hours ago, Flossie said:

"God bless the people of Mexico City. We are with you and will be there for you."

We are with you while we wave at you through the wall  you are paying for.

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

You are not alone. These are fucking Americans.

Does Trump even know these people are citizens, American citizens? I don't see him going there for a photo op to show his support. I also don't see Congress offering any relief effort.

9 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Does Trump even know these people are citizens, American citizens? I don't see him going there for a photo op to show his support. I also don't see Congress offering any relief effort.

Sadly, I fear you are right. They've been in dire straits for years, and congress seems to give less than zero fucks bout the brown people across the ocean. 

Irma may have been strike one for PR, but I am afraid Maria will be the final knockout blow to the island.  As if other issues haven't been alcohol in the wounds all these years...

My niece and I were just talking about taking a trip there.  Now, I am sad to even think about revisiting my childhood home....to see what might be left.

Our Whitey White White govt better get their asses in gear and help their "brown" citizens... get them out of there while there (might) still be time.

(Over emoting, getting pissy.  Apologies.)

So devastating.  175 mph?!  Perhaps ok for those in concrete buildings.... not so great for those in corrugated tin houses on hillsides.

Sigh.  One big deep ole sigh.

So devastating.  175 mph?!  Perhaps ok for those in concrete buildings.... not so great for those in corrugated tin houses on hillsides.
Sigh.  One big deep ole sigh.

And that doesn’t even cover the 2 ish foot of rain that’s gonna cause mudslides for days in the mountain communities there.

It's so frustrating that all we can do right now is wait and watch the resultant damage and horror.

Archived