IGNORED

Hurricanes Jose, Katia, and Maria

Cartmann99

Mods: I will not be offended in the slightest if you feel that the various hurricane threads should be combined into an "All of them, Katie!" thread. I was trying to keep them in separate threads so the information wouldn't get all jumbled up, but this is getting downright ridiculous!

Well, shit! Katia and Jose are now officially hurricanes, so here's a thread for them to do your thing in.

Hurricanes Jose hit category one status far east of Hurricane Irma late Tuesday afternoon, according to the National Hurricane Center.  

Katia had formed as a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico early Wednesday morning, then reached hurricane status by the late afternoon. The National Hurricane Center predicts little movement for Katia over the next few days, but the forecast suggested it would become a hurricane before approaching the coast of the Mexican state of Veracruz.

Having three hurricanes active at the same time in the Atlantic Basin is rather rare. Colorado State Meteorologist Philip Klotzbach reported the last time this occurred was in September 2010. 

http://www.khou.com/news/nation-world/tropical-storms-jose-and-katia-join-hurricane-irma-in-atlantic/471517069

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Penny said:

Between these storms and the shit storm in Washington I may have to take a mental break from the news. Please everyone stay safe.

I understand, @Penny.

My husband said between the fires out west, the hurricanes, and Trump and his never ending shenanigans, it's like we all woke up in the sort of movie we'd walk out of because it was just too unbelievable.

Is next week when the plague of locusts start, or is that scheduled for October?

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Is next week when the plague of locusts start, or is that scheduled for October?

Locusts, boils, blood seems like we are getting all ten.

*Sigh* Apparently my eye has to move to Jose. If these storms could calm themselves, that would be great! We need a break! 

25 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

If these storms could calm themselves, that would be great! We need a break! 

If only we could pump some of the water to the fires out west.

If you pull up the map for Katia on the bottom right,  you'll see that she's only moving at 2 mph right now. If she's still moving that slow once she makes landfall, that means flooding for Mexico. :pb_sad:

I know many of you don't believe in a god, or having varying views which is why this forum is so great. But I think we can all agree, Mother Nature is pissed. She's had enough of our bullshit. We need to get rid of climate deniers.

18 minutes ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

Hurricane Jose is now a cat 3!

:angry-cussingblack:Dammit Jose, we have enough going on right now. Go to your room and stay there!

Hells bells, doesn't Mexico have enough to worry about with Katia churning away in the Gulf?!?

I've been hearing that because of the earthquake, there are now also tsunami warnings. Damn, Mother Nature is exceptionally angry. 

This was in my twitterfeed this morning.

It's quite telling, isn't it, that all these former presidents have made this video appeal together, but that the current presidunce has no part in it.

Again, an example of the good and the bad coming out. 

When I saw the video of the 5 former Presidents, I was touched. This is what a President does, help bring the country together not tear it apart.  The current administration is a hurricane all in itself. 

Poor Mexico - a hurricane on one side of the country, and an earthquake/tsunami on the other.

Much of South Asia is underwater - the monsoon much heavier than usual.

Irma and maybe Jose hitting the US, after the devastation of Harvey.

Tiny countries in the Caribbean reduced to rubble.

This is the worst year for 'weather' events I can remember - and I'm in my sixties.

I truly don't know where the money is going to come from to help particularly the very small countries, like Turks and Caicos, or Barbuda and Antigua, recover.

You know, these people who called eclipse the end of the world suddenly looks less crazy. 
But no, we are not getting out of this shit so easily. 

Ugh. An example of the dredges coming out to earn a few clicks over the backs of those affected by the hurricanes.

Kirk Cameron: The Hurricanes Were Sent by God to Make Us More Humble

Spoiler

Actor and Creationist Kirk Cameron took time out of his busy (?) schedule to talk about Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. In video taken this morning at an airport in Orlando (Florida), Cameron explained how the natural disasters were obviously signs from God.

Climate change, of course, didn’t factor into the discussion.

>video<

"One thing we know about hurricanes — and all weather — is that this is not Mother Nature in a bad mood. This is a spectacular display of God’s immense power. And when He puts His power on display, it’s never without reason. There’s a purpose. And we may not always understand what that purpose is, but we know it’s not random. And we know that weather is sent to cause us to respond to God in humility, awe, and repentance…"

God wanted us to be humble, so he killed dozens of people in Houston, decimated an entire island, and is still creating chaos in the Caribbean.

Even if that were true, that’s not a God worth worshipping.

If God wanted us to be in awe of or inspired by him, here’s an idea: Spare us the senseless deaths. Just say hello. Don’t send a hurricane (or Kirk Cameron) to do it on Your behalf.

So, these hurricanes are a spectacular display of your deity's immense power? Huh. What's his name again? Zeus? 

Yeah Kirk Cameron, that's exactly what happened. Or a more likely explanation, we fucked up the world and now the world is fucking us up. 

Hot damn. Irma's baby brother Jose is growing up fast. :pb_sad:

The Latest: Jose now an extremely dangerous Category 4

Spoiler

The Latest on Hurricane Irma (all times local):

11:40 a.m.

Hurricane Jose has now become an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane, threatening Caribbean islands already devastated by Hurricane Irma.

Jose now has top sustained winds of 150 mph (240 kph) and as it moves toward the northern leeward islands at a speedy 18 mph.

A Tropical Storm Watch has been issued for St. Thomas and St. John.

The government of Antigua has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for the British Virgin Islands

The government of France has issued a Tropical Storm Warning for St. Martin and St. Barts.

The government of Sint Maarten has issued a Tropical Storm Warning as well.

___

11:30 a.m.

The latest storm discussion is out from National Hurricane Center reminding people in Florida that Hurricane Irma will likely hit land as a dangerous major hurricane.

Irma is so immense that it will bring life-threatening wind impacts to much of the state regardless of exactly where its center moves.

The storm surge also could be deadly across southern Florida and the Florida Keys during the next 36 hours. The threat of significant storm surge flooding along the southwest coast of Florida has now increased, with 6 to 12 feet of inundation above ground level possible in this area.

Again, the hurricane center says this is a life-threatening situation, so everyone in these areas should take all actions to evacuate before rising water makes it impossible.

>video<

11:20 a.m.

Associated Press videos show the destruction Hurricane Irma brought to the Caribbean island of St. Martin.

Gnarled black branches of leafless trees, street after street now littered with piles of corrugated tin, plywood, wrought iron, battered cars and unidentifiable objects that were once parts of someone’s life.

Handfuls of people are stumbling through the debris. One reaches the property where her home has now disappeared and says “Oh my God ... Where did you go?”

There’s little left of the Hotel Mercure — just its sign, painted on one of the walls that still stand amid the ruins. As some begin to clean up, others line up outside a hospital, where the first two syllables of an “EMERGENCY” sign lie on the ground.

[...]

The link is to a live feed of APnews info on the hurricanes, I've quoted back to 11.20 a.m. but the article is longer and has more info.

5 minutes ago, catlady said:

Can we all give Kirk Cameron a collective "Fuck off"?

Amen, Rufus Bless! :P 

You know what made me even sadder? That with Mexico getting hit with Katia (and now reading with the tsunami and earthquake), orange fuckface would never do anything in regards to aid even though they were totally ready to help us with Harvey.

Archived