IGNORED

Dammit to hell, Hurricane Irma is a thing.

Cartmann99

I really, really didn't want to start this topic. I fervently hoped that Irma would dissipate and not put anyone in danger, but she's being stubborn, so here we are again. 

Please post any news, good vibes/thoughts/prayers, how the affected areas and their governments are doing, or whatever else that is related to Irma here. If you are in the storm's path, or were in her path, please check in and let us know that you are safe.

News from Puerto Rico:

Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló on Monday declared a state of emergency and activated the National Guard in preparation for the arrival of Irma, a dangerous Category 3 hurricane.

Irma, which is forecast to strengthen on Tuesday night, is set hit the U.S. territory on Wednesday, the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) said.

"Despite the economic challenges Puerto Rico is facing, the approved budget has $15 million for the emergency fund," Rosselló said in a statement.

The island of about 3.4 million people has 456 emergency shelters prepared to house up to 62,100 people.

To help residents prepare for the storm, the Puerto Rican government activated a price freeze on basic necessities, including food and water, medicines, power generators and batteries.

A Category 3 hurricane on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale means sustained winds of 111-129 miles per hour (178-208 kph) with "devastating" outcomes, including uprooted trees, water and electricity outages, and significant property damage, according to the Miami-based hurricane center.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/04/puerto-rico-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-hurricane-irma.html

:pb_sad:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I really, really didn't want to start this topic. I fervently hoped that Irma would dissipate and not put anyone in danger, but she's being stubborn, so here we are again. 

Please post any news, good vibes/thoughts/prayers, how the affected areas and their governments are doing, or whatever else that is related to Irma here. If you are in the storm's path, or were in her path, please check in and let us know that you are safe.

News from Puerto Rico:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/04/puerto-rico-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-hurricane-irma.html

:pb_sad:

Sigh. Yeah. I'm trying to diet, I have two new kittens in the house and the weather people are hilariously in a "Welllllll, we don't know what's going to happen, it will be next week for sure, let's look at the weather for the next three days, no need to panic, great beach weather out there!" mode. As if I'd rely on them to let me know what's going to happen. I need wine stat!

Got some water yesterday, the shelves at Walmart were almost empty. Have two battery operated fan to pick up and a battery operated TV coming. Why do I feel like I'm going to be loading three cats and hubs in the car and heading northwest by this time next week?

As a Floridian I have one eye on Irma, hopefully she isn't too terrible.  I'm not holding my breath though, especially since they still don't have a clear picture of where she's going to end up

18 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

As a Floridian I have one eye on Irma, hopefully she isn't too terrible.  I'm not holding my breath though, especially since they still don't have a clear picture of where she's going to end up

She'll probably run over you first then run over me.:angry-cussing: Is there some spell we can do to make that bitch take a hard right turn NOW? :stir-pot: The reason I'm very nervous about this is the thing is already at Cat 3.

Good luck @bashfulpixie. Later on maybe we can talk about our favorite evacuation destinations! I hope you're not too far down the peninsula?

2 minutes ago, GrumpyGran said:

She'll probably run over you first then run over me.:angry-cussing: Is there some spell we can do to make that bitch take a hard right turn NOW? :stir-pot: The reason I'm very nervous about this is the thing is already at Cat 3.

I'm chanting "out to sea" over and over, since there's still a chance she'll turn back into the Atlantic. One of her possible tracks at this time is the Mid-Atlantic. We don't want her either.

Even if you are nowhere near Irma like me, this is a good reminder to check your emergency supplies.

I have a solar/battery powered lantern and a multi-function weather radio that you can either crank, run on batteries, plug in, or run on the solar panel. I'm going to get a few more of the lanterns, so I'm ready for our next power outage. If your lantern, weather radio, etc.. says it will charge cellphones, make sure it works okay with yours, as I've read reviews where people report that it doesn't work with their particular phone.

The batteries can drain sitting in storage, so it's a good idea to get them out regularly and check the charge levels. I have the option of plugging mine in to charge, but I like to charge by the solar cells whenever possible. 

I also have some of those flashlights that plug in, and automatically come on when the power goes off. When we lose power, I go around the house, turn them all off, and hand them out to use as needed.

16 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Even if you are nowhere near Irma like me, this is a good reminder to check your emergency supplies.

I have a solar/battery powered lantern and a multi-function weather radio that you can either crank, run on batteries, plug in, or run on the solar panel. I'm going to get a few more of the lanterns, so I'm ready for our next power outage. If your lantern, weather radio, etc.. says it will charge cellphones, make sure it works okay with yours, as I've read reviews where people report that it doesn't work with their particular phone.

The batteries can drain sitting in storage, so it's a good idea to get them out regularly and check the charge levels. I have the option of plugging mine in to charge, but I like to charge by the solar cells whenever possible. 

I also have some of those flashlights that plug in, and automatically come on when the power goes off. When we lose power, I go around the house, turn them all off, and hand them out to use as needed.

OMG, @Cartmann99, we're preppers! You can never have enough battery-operated lanterns! FFS, I'm getting a battery-operated TV. I think there's something wrong with me. :pb_lol:

I have a ton of Puerto Rican friends. I’m terrified. Their infrastructure isn’t the best already and they are broke. This does not need to be a thing.

1 hour ago, GrumpyGran said:

Good luck @bashfulpixie. Later on maybe we can talk about our favorite evacuation destinations! I hope you're not too far down the peninsula?

I wish I had that power! She's a Cat 4 now and still several days out from Florida, so there's still time. I keep checking the predicted path of every update

Thankfully, I'm further north and not in the southern part of the peninsula 

15 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I wish I had that power! She's a Cat 4 now and still several days out from Florida, so there's still time. I keep checking the predicted path of every update

Thankfully, I'm further north and not in the southern part of the peninsula 

Yeah, just saw it on the news and holy crap! Glad you have better evacuation options since you're up north in FL. OMG, seeing it again. Help! There's no way this won't hit somewhere in the US. :my_sad:

51 minutes ago, GrumpyGran said:

OMG, @Cartmann99, we're preppers! You can never have enough battery-operated lanterns! FFS, I'm getting a battery-operated TV. I think there's something wrong with me. :pb_lol:

Hot damn and Merry Christmas! We can start a ministry and start selling our own line of doom buckets! If you can sing halfway decent and cry on command, then we are gonna be so wealthy! :dance:

21 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

She's up to cat 4?!? :pb_sad:

7 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Hot damn and Merry Christmas! We can start a ministry and start selling our own line of doom buckets! If you can sing halfway decent and cry on command, then we are gonna be so wealthy! :dance:

She's up to cat 4?!? :pb_sad:

Yup and looks like a huge fireball headed our way. Looking at hotels right now but for when???? Now state of emergency there @bashfulpixie . Scott's getting in early. Ok, it's official. Worst Summer Ever!

Wouldn't you believe it? Irma's almost sure to hit Dutch soil too... :pb_surprised:

Although hurricane preparations have been implemented and people have been on high alert ever since Irma was 'born', I will be keeping our Caribean islands, St. Maarten, St Eustachius and Saba, in my thoughts and hoping Irma will only leave material damage in her wake.

Dammit, dammit, dammit!!

Hurricane Irma, barreling towards the Caribbean and the southern United States, was upgraded to a powerful Category 4 storm on Monday as islands in its path braced themselves.

Hurricane advisories were issued for territories that dot the West Indies, including parts of the Leeward Islands, the British and U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico in preparation for the intensifying storm that could pummel the area with life-threatening wind, storm surges and torrential rain by Tuesday evening, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC).

A Category 4 hurricane on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale means sustained winds of 130-156 miles per hour (209-251 kph) with "catastrophic" outcomes, including uprooted trees and downed power lines, water and electricity outages, and significant property damage causing uninhabitable conditions, according to the Miami-based hurricane center.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/caribbean-islands-brace-for-fierce-hurricane-irma/ar-AArglll?OCID=ansmsnnews11

:angry-cussingblack:

8 pm update.  Another day and we should see the north turn.  Won't know for another couple of days where they think it'll make landfall.

234935_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

I’m scared shitless for my Puerto Rican friends. They have already been told that if hit some areas could have no power for four fucking MONTHS.

I grew up on the eastern side of PR, and I am at a loss of words for what they have coming.

The island already has enough financial disaster - this is unjust.

We survived many, many storms there, but every recovery is just... further in muck.

Let's keep our eyes on how we can help those affected by Irma AND Harvey.  And all those fires that seem to get no mention.....

The Category 6 blog on Weather Underground, www.wunderground.com/cat6, gets to the nitty gritty of  "Breaking news + deep dives on weather, climate, & air quality" -- much loved by weather nerds.  Lots of details on which models are predicting which track where.  The latest on Irma is here: 

Threat Increasing for Cuba, Florida from Intensifying Irma by Bob Henson September 4, 2017, 4:36 PM

And yes to thoughts going out to all dealing with these disasters, including devastating heat on the West coast and fires everywhere in the Western states, including some fires of months duration that are still not under control in Montana.  

Sending good thoughts and hopes to all affected and possibly about to be affected!  Stay safe!

It's a category 5 now.

Spoiler

Hurricane Irma strengthened overnight to a dangerous Category 5 as it barrels toward the Greater Antilles and Southern Florida. It’s likely that Hurricane Irma will affect the U.S. coast — potentially making a direct landfall — this weekend.

Tuesday morning, NOAA Hurricane Hunters found the storm’s maximum wind speeds are 175 mph. It now ranks among the strongest hurricanes ever recorded in the Atlantic Ocean. Forecasts suggest it will reach southern Florida and the Gulf of Mexico this weekend.

Hurricane warnings have been issued for portions of the Leeward Islands and the Greater Antilles, including Puerto Rico.

The National Hurricane Center called Hurricane Irma an “extremely dangerous” storm on Tuesday morning. “Preparations should be rushed to completion in the hurricane warning area,” the forecasters wrote in their 8 a.m. update. Devastating winds, a major storm surge and flash floods are all likely in the Leeward Islands and Puerto Rico in the next 48 hours.

It seems likely now that the storm will impact or strike the U.S. coast early next week, although meteorologists don’t know exactly where. Florida and the Gulf Coast continue to be at risk. The East Coast, including the Carolinas and the Delmarva Peninsula, are also potential candidates for landfall — or, at the very least, heavy rain, strong winds and coastal flooding.

At 8 a.m., Tuesday, Irma was located about 280 miles east of the Leeward Islands and moving to the west at 14 mph, the hurricane center said.Unfortunately, Irma remains in a favorable environment for strengthening, with warm sea surface temperatures and favorable upper-level windsallowing the storm to stay very strong in the coming days. The National Hurricane Center predicts the storm will strengthen even more — to 180 mph — making it the second-strongest hurricane on record in the Atlantic Ocean, behind Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

Well, shit, this isn't getting any better.

My anxiety is getting ramped up. The west is on fire and sadly, most of us can't pull our eyes from the horror closer to home. It seems like every day there's a new fire in SoCal and Montana is blazing. Actually maps show fires in a majority of western states. Southeastern Texas is barely into a long recovery period and now faces being forgotten as more disaster looms. Irma-there's no good scenario there anymore. And here to guide and comfort us? A shit-for-brains who never has and never will experience anything worse than blows to his ego. He's too busy trying to start a nuclear war.

@fraurosena, your islands are prepared for this kind of thing but a Cat 5? But I know you Dutch know how to prepare and hunker down. Fingers crossed for them that no lives are lost.

I hope the people of Puerto Rico are in serious preparation mode. For those of you worried about friends and family there, I'm worrying with you.

All my fellow east coast FJers, start preppin'. We're headed out to get cash, another cat carrier and hopefully more water.

Lastly, the next person who tells me there's no such thing as Global Warming- :violence-smack:

I-84 East out of Portland is closed. There was light ash in the air and on my car. There is a fire burning above Multnomah Falls. The 140 hikers trapped between the two fires made it out okay, after spending the night outside. Portland Public Schools are sending students home early, as high are supposed to be in the 90s today, most schools aren't it conditioned, and the windows can't be opened because of ash particulates in the air. The metropolitan area is safe from fire, but some small towns in the Gorge have been evacuated.

Yeah. I’m talking to my friends from PR and they are preparing as best they can. They haven’t had a major hurricane for over 20 years. I’m scared to death for them, and there’s not even going to be a way for me to know they are ok for god knows how long.

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also just read how there's a hurricane Jose following Irma right now

Great. :angry-screaming:

Oh Powerful Spirit, I know we didn't do enough to keep Donald Trump from becoming president but could You maybe let up now, we get it. We're very, very, very sorry and we won't let it happen again. Please, please, please, please. :pray:

Evacuations in Miami start tomorrow am.

Archived