IGNORED

Future Spawning: Upcoming Babies 8

Bethella

12 hours ago, Kylolo said:

I can confirm 1978.  (Also a researcher here and I have access to services through work that compile public information data from all over the country.)

This kind of scares me to be honest :/ I don't like the idea that people can look up my birthdate and things at their job when it has nothing to do with their job.

I know a lot of info is available online freely- it just weirds me out that people can confirm it through access they have in their job.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Aine said:

This kind of scares me to be honest :/ I don't like the idea that people can look up my birthdate and things at their job when it has nothing to do with their job.

I know a lot of info is available online freely- it just weirds me out that people can confirm it through access they have in their job.

For the record, I didn’t use my work to find it. I just know how to find things  because of what I do. I should’ve been clear about that in my previous post because professional ethics are very important to me—didn’t write a lot because I was on my phone while walking to a different building at the time  

But now you know why I have no social media with my name attached. People have no idea what can be found through free and readily available resources. I have nothing to hide but I’m hyper private because I know how pieces can be put together to find just about anything...I do it every day. 

20 minutes ago, Aine said:

Like @Kylolo said, many people don't realize just how much information is out there. For example, I just googled myself using my name and my hometown. I pulled up a couple of websites (Spokeo, Whitepages, Public Info Directory and People Finder) which collectively list my full name, age, home address, the last two towns I lived in, phone number, my parents full names and that I am registered to vote in my home county. If I was willing to pay for one of the full reports I could also find out my cellphone number, email address and probably more information beyond that.

I know I don't look at anything that isn't publicly available and in most cases I don't even look very hard. I do make a few exceptions for the families I follow closely- for example looking up property records for the Maxwell family but it's all still public information. With Jill, she herself posted about her birthday on FB so we know the day and month. She has also posted about when she got married and how old she was at the time which gives us the year.

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

For example, I just googled myself using my name and my hometown. I pulled up a couple of websites (Spokeo, Whitepages, Public Info Directory and People Finder) which collectively list my full name, age, home address, the last two towns I lived in, phone number, my parents full names and that I am registered to vote in my home county.

When I did that with my name a few years ago, I finally found out why I've been getting mail and phone calls for years trying to get me to join AARP, buy hearing aids, and move to a retirement home. I was listed twice: once with my proper age (not yet 50) and once with my mother's age (now 80); both at my address. I haven't shared an address with my mom since the early '90s. I think I finally got most of the mail to stop, but we still get phone messages trying to sell us personal monitoring systems and hearing aids. It has made me really resent the way telemarketers try to swindle seniors. When I am 80, I may answer the phone just so that I can yell at all of them.

This forum has already shocked me a few times with what is so easy to find. Like houses and other real estate connected to names and prices, and also information on parents and birthdays.

This is something that would never be publically available here (unless put up by individuals). 

10 hours ago, Kylolo said:

For the record, I didn’t use my work to find it. I just know how to find things  because of what I do. I should’ve been clear about that in my previous post because professional ethics are very important to me—didn’t write a lot because I was on my phone while walking to a different building at the time  

But now you know why I have no social media with my name attached. People have no idea what can be found through free and readily available resources. I have nothing to hide but I’m hyper private because I know how pieces can be put together to find just about anything...I do it every day. 

Thanks for clarifying! I do know how much information is available very easily and it is truly scary. Your original post made it sound like you had *confirmed* the date through your work sources- I totally understand what you meant now and I'm sorry for misunderstanding.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:47 PM, anjulibai said:

Not necessarily. Depends on when a kid starts school, but there are definitely plenty who turn 18 well after they graduate. One of my cousin's did. That could make Jill 17 when she met David and turning 18 the month after they married.

Oh, definitely lots of people don't turn 18 until after they graduate. I was guessing she turned 18 during her senior year b/c of kindergarten cutoff dates, where you have to turn 5 by a certain date to enter kindergarten in any given year.

http://www.schoolsnmore.com/index.php?url=articles/article/107-kindergarten-cut-off-dates-by-state

But I just saw I made a mistake, b/c I thought the latest cutoff date on the list was October 16 for NC, but I missed that NY's cutoff date is December 1, and Jill did grow up in NY and was born in November, so she would've been able to start kindergarten a year earlier than I thought. So 1979 as her birth year would make sense. But @Kylolo said they could confirm 1978 as her birth year, so I don't know. :)

12 minutes ago, Corntree said:

I was guessing she turned 18 during her senior year b/c of kindergarten cutoff dates, where you have to turn 5 by a certain date to enter kindergarten in any given year.

None of that would apply to Jill because she was home-schooled. 

2 hours ago, Bethella said:

None of that would apply to Jill because she was home-schooled. 

I thought about that too, but the Rods' site says, "Jill and her three sisters went to Christian School the first few years of their school years and then Jill’s parents felt burdened to pull their girls out of school and home school them." So the cutoff dates could've applied to her when she started school. Unless it was a private school and they didn't have the same cutoff dates as public schools.

I was 17 when I graduated from High School. I was born in August and was one of the youngest kids in my class. Their were probably between 10 and 20 or so kids younger then me so I wasn't the actual youngest. 

If she was born near the cutoff date,it's quite likely she was held back a year.  Some kids might be technically the right age to start school but just aren't ready. A year is a very long time in the life of a preschooler and a kid who starts school at 5 and a half is going to have an easier time than kid who is 4 and a half.

I never thought about it much. I guess I was about one of the youngest in my grade... I graduated in June  at 17 and turned 18 in September...

Just now, uber frau said:

If she was born near the cutoff date,it's quite likely she was held back a year.  Some kids might be technically the right age to start school but just aren't ready. A year is a very long time in the life of a preschooler and a kid who starts school at 5 and a half is going to have an easier time than kid who is 4 and a half.

Both this and early entry were very common back in the late 70s where I am. My husband and I were born in the same year, the school entry cutoff was October 1. We should have graduated the same year based on birthdates but he started a year after me and was one of the oldest in his grade while I had friends more than a year younger than him in mine. 

Yeah, I've gotten the impression that grade ages can actually span almost 1.5 years. I didn't turn 18 until well after I began University. There were still several students in my high school class younger than me, and several over a year older than me.

38 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Yeah, I've gotten the impression that grade ages can actually span almost 1.5 years. I didn't turn 18 until well after I began University. There were still several students in my high school class younger than me, and several over a year older than me.

Same with me. I went to a high school that has 4 towns that feed into it. One of the sending towns seem to hold back kids a lot. In my class their were 6 or so (mostly boys with one girl) who were all 19 when we graduated. 

I knew a lot of people who graduated high school/started university at 17. The cut-off date for starting school here is December 31st. So (barring a few rare exceptions) everyone in the same grade was born in the same year, between January 1st and December 31st. I went to kindergarten with kids who were still only 3, and one of my best friends in high school graduated at 17 and didn't turn 18 till the end of December. He started university that September even though he was really ambivalent about it. I tried to talk him into doing a fifth year in high school (very common where I'm from), or just taking a year off and working to figure out what he actually wanted to do, but he wouldn't hear of it. He had a mental breakdown during midterms his first semester of uni and dropped out. Some people can totally handle it at that age, but some just aren't ready.

I went to university at 17. I was born in November and the cutoff date was December 31st. There was a guy in my class born the night of December 30th. So he squeaked in as part of our class. The guy born 4 days later on the third of January was a year behind us.

8 hours ago, Corntree said:

I thought about that too, but the Rods' site says, "Jill and her three sisters went to Christian School the first few years of their school years and then Jill’s parents felt burdened to pull their girls out of school and home school them." So the cutoff dates could've applied to her when she started school. Unless it was a private school and they didn't have the same cutoff dates as public schools.

It might have affected when she started but as a home-schooled student there's no guarantee that one year = one grade level. They could have followed the normal schedule but they just as easily could have compressed or stretched the schedule.

My mom put me in school at age 4 because "I'm not paying for daycare when school is free". I was one of the kids riiiiiiiight at the cut-off date. I turned 18 at the end of my first semester of college. To make matters worse, I went to school in a district that still had a lot of single-income households with a lot of SAHMs who kept their kids at home until they "had" to send them. I was the only 4-year old in kindergarten, but there weren't many 5-year olds either. More than half the class was 6 when school started, and another 25% turned 6 before Christmas. About a quarter of the kids who started at 6 turned 7 before the end of the year.

I, uh, didn't "thrive". 

Wow! Out of curiosity I looked up my school district's entry cutoffs, and it just changed recently! When I went to Kindergarten, students had to be 5 before Dec. 1, so there was wiggle room with which year to start them. Now, it's Sept 1.

However, they're offering "transitional kindergarten" for students turning 5 Between Sept 1 and Dec 2, and "pre-transitional kindergarten" for students turning 5 between Dec 2 and June 14. It's a huge school district so they have the classroom space for it, but it sounds like a good idea for parents who want to save money or want their kids to start their education, without putting excessive pressure on the younger kids.

I swear that when I went through school, the younger kids in classes (like me) tended to be girls and the older ones tended to be boys. I don't know why that is. My parents talk about the school system being better apt for girls, and they're highly experienced elementary teachers so I want to respect their perspective, but I still take it with a big grain of salt.

I always thought it was because going through puberty earlier than your peers was seen a social plus for boys (for sports, etc.), but a social negative for girls.

Cutoffs are different all over the US. It is usually between July 31-December 31. It's actually incredibly annoying that there can be such different cutoffs. Even school districts right next to one another can have completely different cutoff dates. 

The cutoff for the district where I grew up is January 1st, but many parents of kids with fall birthdays, especially parents of boys, hold their kids back for sports/academic/developmental reasons. My brother is a September birthday, who wasn't held back because he seemed to be doing ok with his age peers (and as a result turned 5 soon after starting kindergarten), and is considered young for his grade.

My sister's good friend was the youngest, one of the smallest but one of the smartest kids in their year  (she skipped a grade). She hated it, to the point that her first son who was born in September of 2011 is in kindergarten because she didn't want him to be the youngest like she was.  

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived