IGNORED

Bates 22: Courting, Marrying, and Trying to not Look Fundie

Coconut Flan

On 12/2/2017 at 8:48 PM, Casserole said:

why are they singing on the steps of St. Patrick's Cathedral? Get away from us heathen Catholics! I'm a lapsed Catholic and no longer very religious, though still spiritual, but St. Patrick's will also be such a special place to me. Growing up, I always wanted to get married there, but decided I didn't know enough people to fill it ;) But go away, Bates and clown college choir

I'm not even Christian and I'm offended by them singing on St. Patricks steps. St. Patricks is an important part of NYC history. They're guests here and they choose the worst place for their choir. I understand it was their statement. But it's the wrong statement. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's probably WHY they chose it. We Catholics are first in line for hell after all... 

That said, you do NOT walk into someone else's church/temple/holy area and pull that sort of shit. Religion aside, it's wildly disrespectful.

The only comforting thing about this is if they were just singing about Jesus on the stairs, then most passerby's probably assumed they were Catholic, God forbid, so joke is on them. 

If they were trying to convert people, I hope they were promptly told to go to hell.  

So Youtube recommended this to me last night.  I thought that was interesting because recently I've been watching vegan Vlogs.  I think that it discusses a lot of the background that is not covered on the shows.  And I love seeing all the kids looking so differently yet it was only 6 yrs ago! 

1 hour ago, JMO said:

So Youtube recommended this to me last night.  I thought that was interesting because recently I've been watching vegan Vlogs.  I think that it discusses a lot of the background that is not covered on the shows.  And I love seeing all the kids looking so differently yet it was only 6 yrs ago! 

I closed my eyes and all I pictured was Michelle and Jim Bob saying the same stuff. Different voices, same words.

I did feel legitimately bad when they discussed Kelly’s miscarriage though - I don’t agree that life begins at conception, but losing a wanted pregnancy is horrible.

And wow the kids look different... especially Michael, Erin, and Alyssa! 

I've never really noticed before, but Kelly had 14 homebirths according to that video. Her children so far have only given birth in hospital/birthing centres and I can't see that pattern changing any time soon. 

The Duggars in the other hand seem to be going the opposite way. Michelle only had 2 homebirths (and to be honest it doesn't sound like they were her first preference), but all her grandchildren were homebirths/attempted homebirths that requiered intervention.

I was really surprised by Alyssa. On FJ we often paint her as over her large family and doing things a bit differently, but she was one of the only children in that video who spoke, and she seemed very enthusiastic. Of course, I also thought she was planning to space or limit her pregnancies and Zoey Joy has put a stop to thought!

Lawson did an interview on a blog about the show. I found this part to be telling. 

“At the end of each season after all episodes are taped his families sits down together and evaluates the positives and negatives of that year and how it can be improved upon for the next!”

I imagine that’s where Kelly looks at all of the criticism they receive and says “okay guys, let’s hide these things next season.” :pb_lol:

Also apparently he’s a triple threat, you know the ol’ sheriff, singer, lawn care business owner kind. But hey 18 employees really is impressive, as long as they aren’t all his siblings.

https://www.inspiringhoney.com/blog/

On 12/8/2017 at 2:46 PM, JMO said:

I found a follow up video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvL7ffr5TLw

I found it interesting that Dr. Vick was providing Kelly with free prenatal visits. (From the first video.) I wonder if he has a similar arrangement with Zach & Whit and Chad & Erin, we know thats the same OB that they use. Or maybe Kelly Jo just gets frequent flyer birther miles.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bates are giving a family update on Facebook tonight. I forgot the time because I don’t care and it’ll probably be boring AF like every other FB announcement they do.

20 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

The Bates are giving a family update on Facebook tonight. I forgot the time because I don’t care and it’ll probably be boring AF like every other FB announcement they do.

8:45 Eastern. 

17 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

Im gonna predict a Whit pregnancy again. 

Either Whit is pregnant, someone is courting, or there’s nothing “new” to report and they just like hearing themselves talk. 

They did an update with nothing really to announce like a week or so ago. It would be pretty dumb to do that again, though definitely not putting it past them! There was one pic from above posted at Tori's wedding where Whitney looked like she could be sporting a bump but it wasnt really a clear pic so who knows. If she is though everyone at the wedding probably noticed so it would make sense to announce now, after Tori's wedding. Or maybe it will be just an update about the wedding? That would be kind of boring at this point. my interest in their wedding only lasts for about one day and a perusal of the initial pictures. Then Im out.   

I'm going to guess it's a Tori's wedding summary/maybe something about their honeymoon and plug for the new season.

I don't think they've announced anything big on Facebook live, but they've followed up on news.

Might get Erin/Alyssa/Michael updates if they're around.

Sorry for the double post but I just saw on IG that’s lawson released a Christmas music video. It’s about jesus with clips of him playing a white savior. I think tonight’s update will be a combo update regarding the music video and their 30th anniversary. 

I’m willing to bet there’s no announcement tonight.

45 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

My bet is its just a recap of Tori's wedding and promo for the new series. 

It was. And Lawson's video for his Christmas song.

Update Recap:

1) 30th anniversary announcement. 

2) Tori and Bobby got married. 

3) The new season starts Jan 4th. It will include the wedding.

4) Tori didn't plan anything for the wedding, she just said she wanted it to be magical and a winter wonderland and they took care of everything for her.

5) Tori and Bobby spent two nights nearby in Gaitlinburg (sp?), but are now in California.

6) Lawson has a new music video.

This is painfully boring to watch.

7) The new season will be longer than previous seasons.

8) If you didn't get your invitation to the wedding it must have gotten lost in the mail -- there were just too many to keep track of! 

Gil states that they don't know whether Christmas was actually Jesus' birthday. This may have been the most interesting thing anyone said. Also they pretty much admit to not paying anyone for the work that went into Tori's wedding.  Surprisingly little talk about religion/God/Jesus throughout -- just a reminder at the end to keep Jesus at the center of Christmas. 

Oh wow, an Evangelical admitting that Jesus might be born on Christmas? That's huge. I've always been met with massive eye rolls whenever I've joked about Christmas being his "observed birthday because he was probably born in the spring."

@Seculardaisy I LOVE Ladybird!

I was always  told that he was born in the spring. I thought that was a pretty common understanding. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived