IGNORED

Lori Alexander 27: Deleting Bible Passages since 2017

I hope you read this Lori:

You are either sick or evil ... or both.  I just heard u tell your proud snake story on utube while you laugh.  Are you proud of scaring a little child with the thought that a snake will bite him or her if they "complain"????

If you ever said a thing like that to any of my children, you would be advised and strongly not to ever do that again.  My MIL said an equally stupid thing one time.  Both hubby and I were present.  I removed my child from her presence to explain that "no sweetie, your fingers would never fall off if you did such and such" , and my husband privately explained to her that we dont talk to our children in fear-inducing ways.  I never left her alone with her once I realized what she was. 

As many on this forum have said  "we have our childrens' back".

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

BDSM, anyone? I'm all for whatever makes consenting adults happy in the bedroom, but I just wish she wouldn't involve others in what for her is clearly a kink. I know people in the BDSM community, and not a one of them either directly or obliquely refers to their activities as often as Lori and Ken do!

THIS! And those in the BDSM community DO NOT try and tell anyone else how to live their life. They are aware that their recipe is not that of everyone else, and that is OK! 

51 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

And "Romans through Revelations"?! She's following Paulianity, not Christianity. 

I think it has been discussed here before (or elsewhere on FJ at least). This is Dispensationalism. The "Church Age" begins with Pentecost in the book of Acts, thus only the writings in scripture that follow that apply to Christians today. 

Wikipedia summarizes it pretty well: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism

3 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Yep. Maybe Ken will leave her for a pretty young thing in yoga pants. Then what would she do?  I suppose she could screw him over with alimony though.

Oh, yes, and she can't just be pretty and young. She also needs to have a little extra junk in her round, curvaceous trunk and a full bosom that she sometimes exposes in low-cut shirts.* 

*And to clarify, I'm most definitely not saying that one body type is better or more attractive than any other -- this is just the body type that Queen B Lori constantly criticizes and condemns as ungodly, and of course, large breasts just become "unsightly" with age, and those few extra pounds are a sign of a gross lack of self-control, and so on. 

I like to read Lori's blog and FB page while eating something junky. Right now I'm having leftover pizza from a great pizza place I went to last night. Lots of cheese and pepperoni, very little real 'nourishment.' But omg, the taste!  Nope, no self-control whatsoever. :my_rolleyes:

I am eating Mogolian Beef (which my husband cooked), and it is fabulous!  Left overs with pot-stickers for dinner!

From Instagram:

This is the book I am getting SO many Gems of wisdom. 

I have seen absolutely NO evidence of Lori having any wisdom at all.

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

I like to read Lori's blog and FB page while eating something junky. Right now I'm having leftover pizza from a great pizza place I went to last night. Lots of cheese and pepperoni, very little real 'nourishment.' But omg, the taste!  Nope, no self-control whatsoever. :my_rolleyes:

She has driven me to junk food more times than I care to admit. :-/

It's like those banner ads(which, fortunately, I don't see as much anymore)saying things like "NEVER EAT THESE 5 FOODS."  Which guarantee that I will stock up on those 5 foods on my next grocery run.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:12 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

A doll is by definition a controlled thing -- so fundie men would be all over that.

I saw a show on CNN once called Almost Human.  There was a woman engaged to a robot.  The robot was scary, IMO, but she had plans to put skin on it and make it more real looking.

Here is a link to the episode: http://money.cnn.com/mostly-human/i-love-you-bot/

It was pretty interesting.

Other than not being able to bear children, I'm sure something like this would make some fundie men quite happy.

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

She has driven me to junk food more times than I care to admit. :-/

For lunch I ate a foot long chili dog (I ate the whole thing!) and fries. Some days just call for all the junk. 

On 8/18/2017 at 3:31 PM, Loveday said:

the Church age under which we live

Could someone please translate this into plain English for me? 

Also, I thought the New Testament was what most religions use.  I do not understand the Romans to Revelations thing.  Is she saying that the rest of the New Testament doesn't apply to Christians now?

I assume some of the phrasing she uses from time to time are dog whistles?

1 hour ago, Curious said:

Could someone please translate this into plain English for me? 

Also, I thought the New Testament was what most religions use.  I do not understand the Romans to Revelations thing.  Is she saying that the rest of the New Testament doesn't apply to Christians now?

I assume some of the phrasing she uses from time to time are dog whistles?

Lori is a dispensationalist. I posted a link to Wikipedia's overview of that theology above, but here it is again: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism

In short, this theology teaches that there are 'dispensations" for each era or age of "salvation history". We live in the "church age" and the "dispensation" to tell us how to live in that age is from Pentecost (in the book of Acts) through Revelations. The four gospels are relevant to a prior era and dispensation only. 

It is not a widespread interpretation of Christianity, popular mostly in corners of evangelicalism and fundamentalism. 

47 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

In short, this theology teaches that there are 'dispensations" for each era or age of "salvation history". We live in the "church age" and the "dispensation" to tell us how to live in that age is from Pentecost (in the book of Acts) through Revelations. The four gospels are relevant to a prior era and dispensation only. 

It is not a widespread interpretation of Christianity, popular mostly in corners of evangelicalism and fundamentalism. 

Thank you @louisa05, I never would have been aware of this kind of teaching.

With dispensationalism, there are differences of opinion in what part of the bible is relevant. MOST of the churches I have gone to take the Gospels along with the epistles as for the church age, given that the Gospels were written after the crucifixion and resurrection. 

The Gospels tell who Christ is and what He said.

Acts gives the history of the First Century Church

Romans sets out theology for the New Testament church

The epistles provide additional guidance to various churches over certain issues.

Revelation tells of what will happen at the End of the Age.

That's what I learned when I was working on my Biblical Studies degree at Liberty University. MOST baptist churches hold to this. 

Yeah, I don't think the "screw the gospels" thing is very popular even among fundamentalists. Lori is the first person I've heard say that the gospels don't matter.

Yeah, I don't think the "screw the gospels" thing is very popular even among fundamentalists. Lori is the first person I've heard say that the gospels don't matter.

1-Not all fundamentalists are dispensationalists
2-There is a lot of variance among dispensationalists as has been pointed out
3--The dispensationalists I have known don't throw out the gospels entirely but if there is tension between Jesus and the epistles would say that the epistles apply more to our time. We have seen this to some degree from both Ken and Lori.

Ya know. The Gospels contain the words and life of Christ, which include a lot of things like mercy, kindness, love, patience. Lori can't be bothered with such "detracting" ideas as those. She is much more of a legalistic dogma kind of girl. She likes to point fingers and remind others of the rules of Paul. Not that those rules have anything to do with Lori, but still. 

8 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Dispensationalism is bullshit.

Yes, thank you. I forgot that. I assumed it was a given. :pb_lol:

It is the reason that the Christian school people justified things like ignoring "Love your neighbor as yourself" and "judge not , lest you also be judged" and the entire Sermon on the Mount. Giving supreme authority to the Pauline epistles instead allowed those who followed that theology to justify extreme legalism, judgmentalism, taking care of only other Christians and general asshattery instead. 

I love the term general asshattery. 

Slight OT but still relevant to Aunt Lori, I really do not understand why fundies so often fall back on platitudes and cold christianese sayings during times where they could just drop to their knees next to you, hug you and say "it sucks and I know your situation is hard. Let everyone walk with you." Jesus wants us to love, help and encourage others. To put his love into action.  Don't see that from Lori or many of the fundies I know. 

Exsmple: today I was telling my mom over the phone that it's been hard for us lately. Mr EW is still recovering from his concussion. He's often tired, a bit more stressed than usual, sometimes the headache comes back, and he's discouraged because of the "slow" (but normal they said) progression of things. He also doesn't like the mood swings hat sometimes hit him (also normal.) it's rattled up his dyslexia  & ADD up more than usual. He might be the primary breadwinner financially but lately I feel like I'm the primary caretaker/suppprt/encourager etc. I know we don't have kids or anything major or severe dragging us down, but lately things have just felt big and hard. Now, one of this phased my mother. In her world, being the help, main encourager, caretaker, making his life better and easier is your sole job as a woman. So when I confessed things have been hard all she said was "life is hard, but Jesus is good. And that's all I've got  you." Which was sort of crushing. Because I love Jesus and know he's the main good in life, but his followers should be coming in to reinforce his love and care.

10 hours ago, EowynW said:

today I was telling my mom over the phone that it's been hard for us lately. Mr EW is still recovering from his concussion. (snip)  So when I confessed things have been hard all she said was "life is hard, but Jesus is good. And that's all I've got  you." Which was sort of crushing. Because I love Jesus and know he's the main good in life, but his followers should be coming in to reinforce his love and care.

That's called Jesus Juking. Sorry your mom did it to you. 

I think, though, that people in general are terrible at just being there and just saying, "yeah, that sucks". Too often, people want to give advice and solve the problem. When my dad was sick and I would break down to anyone, usually I got people trying to tell me all the ways I should be handling things differently and offering advice. Most of it was so pointless--as if it is all that easy to fix. And in the issue of caregiving, always a lot of ideas came my way to get other people to do it instead of me because obviously a) that was the answer and b ) we never thought of looking for other help when we were desperate. There were reasons that I preferred to do a lot of things myself and for the rest, believe me, we tried to find other resources. They weren't there. 

@EowynW sending you a huge, squeezy hug, yeah life sucks, No advice...just a big squeezy hug, a shoulder if you want it, and agreeing that life sometimes sucks balls and sometimes it doesn't. It does now and that's that. 

I want to say that I learn so much at FJ (never knew the Pluto issue was such a hot button topic!) and I truly appreciate everyone sharing their expertise in a wide scope of domains.

That being  said, who developed dispensationalism and from where do they pull these ideas?

@EowynW So sorry to hear about how stressful things are right now. I'm sure it's frustrating for Mr. EW when he's not healing as quickly as he would like. And it can be exhausting being the primary person running the house physically and emotionally. I hope you're able to get some time for yourself to recharge.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived