IGNORED

German town tricks neo-nazis

47of74

One German town turned the tables on the neo-nazis.

Neo-Nazis gathered in a small German town found themselves the target of an anti-fascist prank this week when they inadvertently raised €10,000 for an anti-extremist organisation.

For decades, far-right extremists have marched through Wunsiedel in Bavaria every year, to the despair of those who live there. This year, the organisers of Rechts gegen Rechts (Right against Right) took a different approach.

Without the marchers’ knowledge, local residents and businesses sponsored the 250 participants of the march on 15 November in what was dubbed Germany’s “most involuntary walkathon”. For every metre they walked, €10 went to a programme called EXIT Deutschland, which helps people escape extremist groups.

I've heard of that being done with anti-abortion extremists - that people could adopt them and pay a set amount every time an anti showed up to protest a clinic.

Good on them! It's not the first time German towns have done that kind of thing though. Unsurprisingly, it's bad for business and tourism to have large gatherings of neo-Nazis march unopposed through one's town centre.

But what a beautiful and peaceful way to protest - will they ever come back, knowing they are raising funds for a cause they'll hate?

Did this just happen (again)? Because I heard of this happening a few years back. I found a video about it:

Archived