IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DancingPhalanges, the ASL class actually has a requirement to attend some Deaf events.  (Ok, it's not a requirement for me as I'm taking it as continuing ed although it is highly suggested I go some of the events.) A group of Deaf people meet at Haywood Mall every Friday evening and a group meets at Westgate Mall in Spartanburg on the 2nd and 4th Fridays for dinner.  There are football games at the SC School for the Deaf and Blind to attend, the School's Halloween party, Open Hands Night and things like that.  For students taking the class for credit Open Hands Night attendance is required.  The class is an immersion class and we are discouraged from speaking in class.  

So, the Dillard were posting Alert (for 17 - 20's boys) and c3 cross church (church for college students) this week. Wonder if Derick got a job working for cross church? Youth ministry? 

I think he'd need more qualifications. He has no real young adult ministry skills other than interpretive dancing with missioncationers in Danger America. And we know that SOS doesn't mean squat as far as his church is concerned. 

He might be qualified to teach Sunday School, but I doubt he'd be vetted for much more than that. I think he's taking a glorified bible study class. 

I don't think I'll ever understand the hyper focus on religion,  in this case Jesus.   It's just not enough for these sorts to live and enjoy life when and where you can.  Everything is hyper focused on Jesus and they are still bad at it.  The endless rules, constant  church life,  tons of restrictions.   It's just too much.  I read and discuss this for years and even at my most devout I still lived life with school, friends, a job and family life whithout a hyper focus on it.  Nevermind getting to the point where we would be intentionally in the poor house because the Bible does not want me to work or beating my kids.  

Life is hard enough, don't ruin your spirituality with extremism and mistake holiness for legalism!  And to be so invasive with each other, let your children take longer showers and sleep with sheets.  Wtf.  

This tweet does, I think, make it sound like they will be working for c3, rather than attending, as it says 'excited to be joining the team'. I wonder if they could be doing sort of guest lectures about their experience as missionaries? They do seem very unqualified  though.

Maybe he's doing the books?  He's a qualified accountant.

Good to see that he seems to have a job of some sort sorted.

Look at all the short shorts in the background of the picture of Derrick and Israel. Defrauded! Nike! I don't think Jill will like it here. 

6 hours ago, Beermeet said:

sleep with sheets.

Wait. What? They're not allowed sheets?!?!

3 hours ago, purplepeony said:

This tweet does, I think, make it sound like they will be working for c3, rather than attending, as it says 'excited to be joining the team'. I wonder if they could be doing sort of guest lectures about their experience as missionaries? They do seem very unqualified  though.

In Duggarland, being a pretty good pianist who's played in public at least once makes you a virtuoso concert pianist. Going to Bill Gothard's Vacation Bible Gun Camp one summer makes you a first responder ready (but not necessarily willing) to serve in the military. Watching an irresponsible quack almost kill a few babies and mothers for a year or two makes you a super-awesome totally legit midwife. I'm sure that in Duggarland, spending two years on and off in El Salvador in an undeservedly nice house doing absolute jack-all for the people of the country except yammering about Jesus in broken Spanish to whichever locals still tolerated you makes you Lawrence of Goddamn Arabia.

They don't make bad candidates for a fundie young adult ministry. They are the right age, they have experience in several ministries,  they are solid funnies, have some celebrity appeal, family connections in the church, a house nearby and have a proven commitment to the church. I can see why they would employ Derick or both of them. I think it could potentially be a happy place for them and Jill can develop in the area of her banana bread ministry.

(My spell check changed fundies into funnies. I will leave it right there.)

I'd be interested to know what JB and Michelle think of their kids getting involved in these big churches as opposed to continuing home church. Is that something IBLP folks are leaving behind? 

50 minutes ago, Pukingpearl said:

I'd be interested to know what JB and Michelle think of their kids getting involved in these big churches as opposed to continuing home church. Is that something IBLP folks are leaving behind? 

The Church that the Dills were married in and currently attend is the same Church her parents married in and is (or was) affiliated with the Christian high school Jim Bob attended. I believe its also the Church that bought the house the Duggars were living in immediately before they moved into the TTH (the house where the molestations occurred.) I'd say that they're likely fine with the Dills' choice of Church. 

They could just be volunteering (nothing wrong with that - except, you know, the usual misogyny/homophobic stuff)

I googled C3 Cross Church it seems to be a couple of nights a week preaching to college students. I wouldn't have thought there were many paying spots going in that type of set up.  

Going off the website, the "sign up to serve" button takes you to a fairly simple questionnaire that sounds like it's more volunteering 

There's also a link to a list of sermons etc which I haven't looked at (plus links to their twitter/FB)

http://crosschurch.com/ministries/fayetteville-college-ministry/27/

The list of staff at the bottom also doesn't mention them.

9 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Everything is hyper focused on Jesus and they are still bad at it.  The endless rules, constant  church life,  tons of restrictions.  

The endless rules that can be cherry picked at your leisure.

The church life that for most of one's life happened in the living room, and on Daddy Duggar Time.

Tons of nonsensical decisions: no shoulders, clavicles or knees. No school or friends outside the home. No jobs!

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

The endless rules that can be cherry picked at your leisure.

The church life that for most of one's life happened in the living room, and on Daddy Duggar Time.

Tons of nonsensical decisions: no shoulders, clavicles or knees. No school or friends outside the home. No jobs!

which doesn't translate to the real world which is why Jessa seems to have a hard time leaving the TTH where Jinger is apparently being groomed by the man who acquired her.  Derick is a whole other story - they are now pimping alert and cross church in hopes of starting new things.... 

1 minute ago, nst said:

which doesn't translate to the real world which is why Jessa seems to have a hard time leaving the TTH where Jinger is apparently being groomed by the man who acquired her.  Derick is a whole other story - they are now pimping alert and cross church in hopes of starting new things.... 

Well, even if this is only a 4 week volunteer gig, at least Derick is doing something outside the 4 walls of his house, and if he is associated with an actual brick and mortar church, the chances of him going off the rails and going unnoticed with his ministry and preaching is somewhat diminished. Derick does not strike me as the type of person who wants to be the parent to a billion little kids. Perhaps this is the main source of Jill's despair. This dude didn't grow up in a zoo. He grew up being allowed to live in the world and experience things that would never have been allowed in Duggarville. Yes, he has terrible beliefs, but give his parents credit for not locking he and Dan away in a closet to wither.

Derick does not want to be stuck in the Duggar Cage with a billion rugrats to feed or to wipe butts and faces for the next 25 years.

I think both of the Dullards are equally disillusioned with their spouse.

5 hours ago, TotalMumnesia said:

It's all about who you are and who you know rather than qualifications though isn't it?

That's how Josh Duggar got his job in DC. 

Basically the Dills could be "working" for the church in the social media advertising sort of way. The more they promote the church, the more new members they may acquire. The Dills have a lot of followers. 

My son just moved to Fayetteville a couple of weeks ago and lives just down the road from Cross Church. He's 23 and I'm trying to talk him into visiting it, but he isn't having it. 

@foreign fundie banana bread ministry! :pb_lol: love it. Banana bread minister would make a good post count title. 

Fundie males can only have a few jobs it seems: Minister (or other clergy position, youth director, et cetera), Small Business Owner (of a Christian centered business), mechanic, construction, landscaping, and that's it. If you're an unmarried woman, you can run a female appropriate small business, be a midwife, child care professional, teach Sunday school, or do housekeeping. It's no surprise Derick picked ministry.  

39 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think both of the Dullards are equally disillusioned with their spouse.

This could be Jilly Muffin's problem, perhaps it wasn't the dr that said NO MORE KIDS it was her owner husband. Perhaps after her 2nd c/section, accountant Derick, who knows how money works, and is necessary to live a somewhat sane/enjoyable life, said sorry sweetie no more babies for us.   Jill like Gag-KimK-barf doesn't tolerate pregnancy well, not all women do, and it can be life threatening, and or difficult.  They can't keep having kids, Jill isn't going to pop baby after baby out on the couch and get up and cook him dinner like Anna and Jessa do.

25 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This could be Jilly Muffin's problem, perhaps it wasn't the dr that said NO MORE KIDS it was her owner husband. Perhaps after her 2nd c/section, accountant Derick, who knows how money works, and is necessary to live a somewhat sane/enjoyable life, said sorry sweetie no more babies for us.   Jill like Gag-KimK-barf doesn't tolerate pregnancy well, not all women do, and it can be life threatening, and or difficult.  They can't keep having kids, Jill isn't going to pop baby after baby out on the couch and get up and cook him dinner like Anna and Jessa do.

guess we will know by January 2019 if the pee stick is pink or not - edited because it's supposed to be 18  months ? yes 

until then Jessa can out birth her 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived