IGNORED

"Christians" stiff Buffalo Wild Wings waitress

47of74

Ugh

A gay server was given an unusual reason why she was denied a tip after she waited on a couple and their two children at an Illinois restaurant.

Samantha Heaton, 20, waited on the family at Buffalo Wild Wings in Rockford, Illinois, August 5. When the customers paid their $60.55 tab, she noticed they did not indicate a tip when they signed the credit card receipt.

And the reason for the snub was clear, although the inference was not.

“We can’t tip someone who doesn’t love Jesus! Bad tatoo [sic],” the customer wrote on the check.

Someone needs to take the horse's ass that did that aside and 'xplain that horse shit like this gives all Christians a bad name, just as much as leaving tracts disguised as money does.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folk who don't tip totally piss me off. Waiting tables does not pay a lot anywhere in the world. (As far as I understand). Young people waiting tables are struggling to pay rent, uni tuition etc. Older folk have families/ households to run.  If people didn't  wait at tables no-one could enjoy eating out.

Prigs like this family appear to be, don't deserve to have the privilege of eating out. 

How on earth can anyone justify presuming that a gay person that doesn't  love Jesus? The pomposity is sickening. 

I know in preaching to the choir here! But Grrrrrrr. 

Rant over. 

I hate to say that asking for a different server would have been the better option because bigotry is still bigotry, but if they had requested someone else the waitress could at least have put her time into serving others who would appreciate the service. 

Also, does this customer ask every waiter if s/he loves Jesus? Or did s/he single out this individual because of her sexual orientation?...no, don't answer that, we already know.  :pb_rollseyes: 

36 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Someone needs to take the horse's ass that did that aside and 'xplain that horse shit like this gives all Christians a bad name, just as much as leaving tracts disguised as money does.

Yup. If the end goal of Christians is to convert people to Christianity, how does being a jackass to people help achieve that goal? 

"We can’t tip someone who doesn’t love Jesus!" - the words of someone who can't have paid any attention to anything Jesus said.

I used to deliver pizza...the BEST tips were in the "low rent" neighborhoods. Folks would be a bit inebriated and hand out cash like it was going out of style. The rich neighborhoods, maybe a buck. 

When we go out to eat, we're tippers...even if the service sucked it's at least 10%. Fortunately (or further proof of geekiness) I can compute percentages in my head...so I just tell hubs how much to tip. Hell, I tip for my pedicures...if you're going to deal with my ugly-ass feet...ya know? 

Anyway...not tipping is bullshit. Current tipped wage for waitstaff is 2.30/hr. Management is supposed to adjust your wages to make at least minimum wage per hour but they never do it. Also...if you're going to tip, do it in cash. Tips on cards are counted as taxable income and the taxes are deducted from the person's check. 

In the US, tips are taxable income regardless of whether they are paid in cash or credit.  If your employer doesn't withhold income tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax, you are still responsible for paying it.  Not paying would be tax fraud.  There are other reasons why a server may be better off with cash, but tax savings shouldn't be part of it.

13 minutes ago, Mirla said:

In the US, tips are taxable income regardless of whether they are paid in cash or credit.  If your employer doesn't withhold income tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax, you are still responsible for paying it.  Not paying would be tax fraud.  There are other reasons why a server may be better off with cash, but tax savings shouldn't be part of it.

Yeah and nobody I know, including me declares 100% of the cash tips. 

10 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

I hate to say that asking for a different server would have been the better option because bigotry is still bigotry, but if they had requested someone else the waitress could at least have put her time into serving others who would appreciate the service. 

Also, does this customer ask every waiter if s/he loves Jesus? Or did s/he single out this individual because of her sexual orientation?...no, don't answer that, we already know.  :pb_rollseyes: 

A place my husband worked had a customer who did that.  The company responded by kicking the bigot out instead and losing a sale of many thousands of dollars.  They weren't going to cater to bigotry, and weren't going to make the person discriminated against deal with it.

11 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

This would be a great option if these people ever intended to tip in the first place. If they were truly offended by a tattoo, they could have politely requested to be moved to a different section, or asked for a different server. But they didn't want their "problem" to be resolved. They wanted to feel smug and superior, soak up the time and attention that their server was obliged to offer, and then walk away leaving only a snide comment about her supposed lack of faith.

I've waited tables before, and in my personal experience, the people who do shit like this basically never leave a tip. The reason may change every time, but there's always SOME reason they feel the need to break social contract, and it's always someone else's fault.

5 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

This would be a great option if these people ever intended to tip in the first place...

...the people who do shit like this basically never leave a tip. The reason may change every time, but there's always SOME reason they feel the need to break social contract, and it's always someone else's fault.

True. If it's not an offensive 'tatoo' it will be something else. 

I used to work as a tour manager, and one religious group of over 40 people, after 14 days of touring, sang my praises, said I ought to be using my articulacy to further G-d, and gave me - a Bible.

The recommended tip rate was, at the time, $2 per person per day. And I was taxed on presumed tips. Couldn't send the taxman the Pentateuch.

17 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I used to declare everything honestly when I waited tables.  Not just because of the fear of IRS reprisal (and my tax returns looked pretty wonky for a few years and will again third coming year -- rapid succession of job changes)... but also because I believe in the services provided by taxes. If I'm going to complain about how the government uses my money (and you bet I will!), I figure I need to woman up enough to contribute my fair share to the pool. 

Jeez, that's so wrong. Even when I get crap service I always tip at *least* 10%. When someone is serving me-- and I know their income is mostly tips-- I do the right thing and pay up.

16 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Yeah. When I waited tables in a different life time we claimed only tips up to minimum wage. 

WA and OR both pay minimum wage for servers, tips are additional to that. I don't know if any other states do also. 

5 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Yeah. When I waited tables in a different life time we claimed only tips up to minimum wage. 

WA and OR both pay minimum wage for servers, tips are additional to that. I don't know if any other states do also. 

About 10 states in total do, and servers in those states seem more relaxed.  Probably because they don't run the risk of losing their jobs if they don't get enough tips, and get at least what they'd get at McDonald's.

Query - I was a waitress at  very small diner,  and where I worked I was - it  -there was me, the cook and dishwasher/ prepper.   But while I always leave the tip in cash on the table, I always wonder who clears.   Does the server clear and thus picks it up (the fanciest place I eat is the 'nice' Olive Garden...) or does the busser clear and pick it up?  I just want to make sure my almost  always  great waiter/waitresses get t?  

21 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

Query - I was a waitress at  very small diner,  and where I worked I was - it  -there was me, the cook and dishwasher/ prepper.   But while I always leave the tip in cash on the table, I always wonder who clears.   Does the server clear and thus picks it up (the fanciest place I eat is the 'nice' Olive Garden...) or does the busser clear and pick it up?  I just want to make sure my almost  always  great waiter/waitresses get t?  

It depends on the establishment and how they divvy this. Some places the bussers do get a portion. Some places they only go to the wait staff.  The nicer the place the more likely it is the bussers get some prob of the tip. I think anyway, that's how it was when I worked in the industry. A long time ago. 

On 11/08/2017 at 2:31 PM, feministxtian said:

So you're saying tippers should respect their waitstaff's possible desire to commit tax fraud?

Australian here (minimum wage - while low, is decent enough - depending on age, uni students are generally paid around $20-$25 per hour. So tipping isn't really a thing). 

Anyway, during our first trip to an American restaurant I was SO determined to do the right thing that I accidentally tipped over 50%!! I promise I can calculate in my head - but when we got the receipt we saw that they had already included the 20% tip, so the tip I had also added wasn't necessary (I gave 25% plus some extra change because the service was excellent). Oops. Oh well. At least I know i didn't ruin their day. 

3 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

So you're saying tippers should respect their waitstaff's possible desire to commit tax fraud?

I'm saying it's none of your damn business. I know when I was working for tips, by the end of the week the cash would be long gone. At the end of the year, I'd guess roughly how much and go from there. 

And, if you REALLY want to talk about "tax fraud"...why aren't you all up in arms about the real tax fraud? Who the hell cares if a waiter/waitress makes their lives easier when you have your lovely corporations and fucking president doing that shit for years and really fucking the american public? Get your fucking priorities straight....got it? 

Archived