IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Pt 5: Balancing Body Humors with YL Oils

laPapessaGiovanna

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

1994 -1995: another BS in Pastoral Studies, Old and New Testament, Koine Greek and Theology from Multnomah University.  It looks as though it was unaccredited back then.

I think it was also called Multnomah Bible College and Seminary back then. The name change to Multnomah University came much later.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I think it was also called Multnomah Bible College and Seminary back then.

I'm only going by Wikipedia but apparently they are different entities.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multnomah_College

Multnomah Bible College is accredited but the University is (and was) iffy about accreditation.

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm only going by Wikipedia but apparently they are different entities.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multnomah_College

Multnomah Bible College is accredited but the University is (and was) iffy about accreditation.

Hmm... I was going by Multnomah University's history section on their website.

https://www.multnomah.edu/about/history/

Spoiler

From school to college and seminary

Reflecting its growing educational programs, in 1993 Multnomah School of the Bible became Multnomah Bible College and Seminary even while reaffirming the spirit of its core purpose and mission. In 2005, Multnomah’s commitment to offer its graduates a regionally accredited biblical education resulted in membership with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. This additional accreditation allowed even more flexibility for graduates to transfer their Multnomah credits to more institutions.

University name addition

In 2008, Multnomah added the name Multnomah University as an umbrella title to encompass all the structural elements that make up the institution. 

I know people with graduate degrees from accredited universities who got their BA at Multnomah around the time Papa Boyer was there. Apparently it's possible to work around one's degree being from an unaccredited college if one is motivated.

11 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Apparently it's possible to work around one's degree being from an unaccredited college if one is motivated.

Indeed!  So have I got this right finally:

Accredited Multnomah College (not to be confused with unaccredited Multnomah Bible College and Biblical Seminary) is now part of the accredited University of Portland.   Multnomah Bible College and Biblical Seminary (not to be confused with Multnomah College) is now Multnomah University.  Multnomah University only got accredited in 2005 so Clancy's "BS in Theology" degree is still unaccredited.:)

12 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

So have I got this right finally:

I think I lost track somewhere in there! :pb_lol: But, yes, I think?

On 12/18/2017 at 6:10 PM, MargaretElliott said:

Maybe he means "pagan" as the historical meaning of the term- a non-Christian. So while it's great to imagine him as a new-age hippie type, celebrating Yule instead of Christmas and partaking in ancient, rowdy traditions, he might just be using the word for dramatic flair. Maybe he was, though, in the 70s or 80s or something. We don't really know, but I'd love to find out.

I say this as someone who just had a Yule party, where I was the "leader" for a Mari Lwyd wassailing crew. We tied a horse skull to a broom, tossed a fur coat over it, and demanded entry and booze at my friend's door. Because new-age hippies have the best holiday parties.

Yup. Hit the nail on the head. In the church they belonged to before moving to Ohio, “pagan” was insider jargon for non-christian. Very heavy Doug Wilson and Doug Phillips and “Keepers at Home/Contenders for the Faith” influences there, which could explain the family’s lifestyle choices.

On 12/19/2017 at 1:08 PM, Palimpsest said:

Indeed!  So have I got this right finally:

Accredited Multnomah College (not to be confused with unaccredited Multnomah Bible College and Biblical Seminary) is now part of the accredited University of Portland.   Multnomah Bible College and Biblical Seminary (not to be confused with Multnomah College) is now Multnomah University.  Multnomah University only got accredited in 2005 so Clancy's "BS in Theology" degree is still unaccredited.:)

What, really? Multnomah, from talking to its alumnae, sounds incredibly Calvinistic. UP, unless I’m mistaken, is a Catholic school. Talk about strange bedfellows!

OTOH, I am seriously short on sleep and coffee, so I may be mistaken about University of Portland. (They have an amazing women’s soccer program, if I’m thinking of the right school. And my brain is being incredibly random this morning.)

• 3 weeks later...

The sisters just posted their workout routine over at b.well. They both listed yoga, but after a commenter informed them that yoga is the Hindu religion’s prayer postures they changed it to this: 

5a59e4079611a_Skjermbilde2018-01-13kl_11_46_14.thumb.png.4140b4e6f3debe6299014490a5d0fa47.png

So now they think that yoga is practice rooted in worshiping an evil deity and should on no account be toyed with by Christians on any level.

I just googled "should christians do yoga" and found this gem.

All the essential oils in the world won't prevent an evil Hindu deity sneaking into your mind if you do a downward facing dog pose.

3 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

But it is OK Boyer Sisters:  if you call a downward facing dog a PraiseMove and think about Scripture while doing it you will be fine.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:55 PM, wikinggirl said:

The sisters just posted their workout routine over at b.well. They both listed yoga, but after a commenter informed them that yoga is the Hindu religion’s prayer postures they changed it to this: 

5a59e4079611a_Skjermbilde2018-01-13kl_11_46_14.thumb.png.4140b4e6f3debe6299014490a5d0fa47.png

So now they think that yoga is practice rooted in worshiping an evil deity and should on no account be toyed with by Christians on any level.

Wait, so until yesterday they didn't know where yoga came from?

I am roaring with laughter here. *Cannot practice yoga! It's not Christian*

@AlwaysExcited I doubt the SOTDRT covered yoga. They probably thought it was like yogurt! 

6 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Wait, so until yesterday they didn't know where yoga came from?

I feel like anyone who has gone to even one real yoga class would pick up on the philosophical/religious undertones of a yoga practice. So my money would be on them doing either a yoga video on YouTube or attending one of those ultra-appropriating Holy Yoga classes that layer a thin veneer of Evangelical jargon on the asana.

That said, a continuing yoga practice may actually help with their admitted mental health issues. Even if they don't immediately convert to Hinduism mid- sun salutation.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:55 AM, wikinggirl said:

Oh good grief.

one of the local exercise venues has christian yoga classes. I wonder if I should let them know. /sarcasm

1 hour ago, librarianjojo said:

I feel like anyone who has gone to even one real yoga class would pick up on the philosophical/religious undertones of a yoga practice. So my money would be on them doing either a yoga video on YouTube or attending one of those ultra-appropriating Holy Yoga classes that layer a thin veneer of Evangelical jargon on the asana.

That said, a continuing yoga practice may actually help with their admitted mental health issues. Even if they don't immediately convert to Hinduism mid- sun salutation.

I took a yoga class in college decades ago. I don’t remember any spirituality attached to it at all, actually. Very secular and science-based.

So you’re saying that was not “real” yoga?

This triggered a memory from me with my very fundie, uneducated MIL who said DH and I should not ever go to India as the "Hindus" would put a spell on us....

Interesting that such a misunderstanding could happen. Dad The Former Pagan supposedly approved of the yoga in both practice and blog acknowledgement since he gets final say on most facets of their daily lives, and they used to claim that their parents pre-approved all of their posts. 

Either their parents no longer micro-manage their lives, or their parents are literal morons who thought that "yoga" was just a funny American slang word for "Slow Motion Floor Mat Dancing". 

This is so weird, because I feel like I remember a post from Jessica some years ago detailing how she began practicing yoga, but then one night while doing it she had a frightening spiritual experience that freaked her out, so she swore yoga off. 

That weird dressing your truth or whatever thing they were promoting all over the place had odd spiritual undertones, too, the further you looked into it. These girls are very naïve and easily swayed. 

@thisjuststinks You are 100% correct. To the surprise of precisely no person ever, the Boyer "Girls" are completely full of shit yet again. From a March 2015 blog post:

This brings me to the latest exercise routine we picked up—Ashtanga Yoga! What? Yes, Yoga! Believe it or not, dear friends, we have found Yoga to be a wonderful way to work out! Why? Well, if you put aside all of the odd spiritual, meditative stuff, the succession of poses that are performed in Ashtanga Yoga make for a pretty hardcore workout. You can check out this link* to learn all of the awesome benefits of Yoga.

Now, at first I too was a little suspicious of the practice of Yoga, and I even had an episode in which I kind of freaked myself out with the meditation** part. My scare was so bad that I actually took a break from it for a few months. The break didn’t last long though, because my body was craving the stretches, and so when I told the girls that I was going to try Yoga again, they decided they’d join me! In the end it has worked out really well to practice together, and we have all benefited greatly from it! Charlotte, who was the least limber out of us three, struggled to master the full stretches at first, but after a few weeks of practice, her muscles stretched out, and she is able to enjoy it as much as Brigi and I. We love doing it together!

The asterisks are Jessica's own, and they correspond to the following notations at the bottom of the post:

* There is a picture at the top of this article of a woman in a an immodest exercise outfit, so beware, but the article itself is very informative so give it a try. The Ashtanga Yoga practice DVDs came from this website, and even though it is wonderful material, we in no way associate ourselves with this company.

**The meditation part during the Yoga practice involves Indian music and chanting. Though it is relaxing, we don’t usually pay attention to this part of the program. Instead, we just sit there; perhaps we’ll pray or else think of a new sewing project to tackle. 

So not only have all three sisters and their parents used Yoga as a form of exercise, meditation (that's what prayer and intentional thinking is, Jess), and stress relief, they've done so for YEARS with the full awareness of its cultural and religious associations. There is absolutely no purpose behind the hot-pink edit, and commenter-coddling in their recent bwell post other than public posturing, and belittling other faith practices. By their "logic", anything that could possibly be used by another person of a different religious inclination for the purposes of worship is bad.

So.... who wants to break the news to them about essential oils and witches?

It's nonsense like this that reminds me of why I want an eyeroll as an option for the crap that some of these people post.  It's not a full WTF reaction and more than just a laugh or a like.  I refuse to let Rufus Bless this hypocrisy.  

On 1/15/2018 at 12:18 AM, SolomonFundy said:

So.... who wants to break the news to them about essential oils and witches?

Oh, PLEASE do...:pb_lol:

So Charlotte cut her hair. 

And then spent time with a friend...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Brigid is still having fun with clothes. And that's all I got. lol

Wow, Gabe made that dirndl?  I'm impressed.  Brigid's outfit is charming.  

I'm still fascinated by Charlotte and Jessica and I truly wonder how they spend their time.  The oil thing doesn't seem to be huge drain on their time - they only post every few days about it on social media.  

On 1/14/2018 at 5:07 PM, teachergirl said:

This triggered a memory from me with my very fundie, uneducated MIL who said DH and I should not ever go to India as the "Hindus" would put a spell on us....

Fundies are so weird. My MIL freaked out when Mr. EW went to Ghana for mission work and told him not to be marrying any of those black girls and get a black wife. He was horrified by her words. 

In their latest post Charlotte talks about "dressing the truth".  I don't understand how this is ok, but yoga isn't. Just listen to this: 

Unlike personality tests or color systems which are more surface-level, Dressing Your Truth delves into Energy Types. Meaning, how you move through the world (spiritually, mentally, and physically) and interact with your surroundings. It’s much deeper than a “personality type” could ever be.

This is Charlotte's type:

Well, I am a Type 3, Secondary 1, which is actually the highest movement of Energy for humans. I move through life swiftly and dynamically and have a rich, substantial quality about me. My voice is loud, my footstep is heavy, my body language is big, and I tend to find my way into leadership roles and push through projects with a swift force. (...) My hair is crazy, wild, and free. Think of a lion’s mane, and you’ve got it just about right. If by this point you have Wonder Woman envisioned in your head, then I’ve done my job

Bragging much?

5a6c6f2c551da_Skjermbilde2018-01-27kl_13_22_16.thumb.png.6a1096d6ca174693499279d6538f0c0e.png

And here's the "new" Charlotte on the right. I might be a BEC, but I actually think she looks better on the left picture...

What in seven hecks are you talking about, Charlotte?

With the exception of certain genetic disorders, personality has nothing to do with the way that you look. You poor kid, you were just brainwashed into yet another scam. At least this one didn’t cost you anything except time.

Also it gave you the excuse you needed to try a new look, and that’s great. Try all you like. Just don’t pretend that you’re doing it for any reason other than that you enjoy doing it. It has nothing to do with Jesus. If you had studied evolutionary theory, you would know that humans and apes share a common ancestor and this ancestor found benefits to their survival in community grooming. This lineage is passed down to us in our genes. Evolution, Charlotte, evolution, not energy.

They are so gullible it truly astonishes me.

And, of course, Dressing Your Truth has an online store to 'help' you express your true self. 

I actually like quite a few of the before pics better than the after. Apparently, dressing your truth tends to mean you should look a good bit older than you do at the start. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived