IGNORED

Jinger 29: New House and New Wardrobe

Coconut Flan

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My favorite quote on this subject comes from John Fugelsang, he says something along the line of 'when God told Adam to be fruitful and multiply there were 2 people on earth.  There are now 8 billion, mission accomplished.'

Ha! Well, quite.

I suppose the bit I find hard to grasp, as an agnostic person, is the "God told us" part. I have received (to be slightly flippant) exactly zero divine messages, how do you know God is "talking" to you?

But this is why they are religious and I am not, I guess (although maybe it follows as a consequence of having faith).

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My ex-friend parents never should have had kids.  Her father was a house painter and did terrible work. He did a local photo and video store because her brother worked their and it started peeling with in a week. 

6 hours ago, seraaa said:

Is it a conservative/mainstream rather than a fundamentalist church? I know these definitions are blurry, but, for example, the poster above said that they aren't as legalistic about dress, which could be a conservative rather than a fundamentalist indicator.

So my GCC was definately conservative but not fundamentalist. Albiet, most had very conservative and ignorant-ass beliefs, but most were into normal stuff most people would be into. Kids would be into normal tv shows, video games, movies. Women wore pants, didnt have eleventy-million kids, most with jobs and careers outside their husbands and children. It was a school/church but education and college (even secular) was strongly emphasized and encouraged.

Convervative/mainstream have their issues; and trust me they arent little or dismissable, but it is NOT fundamentalism. Growing up conservative christian at least gives you the option of branching out and learning more. Fundamentalism by its nature does everything in its power to indoctrinate and disempower you to ever question or leave the flock.

12 hours ago, minniestwin said:

I agree.  Jinger seems to have embraced the peace and quiet of their home away from the craziness of the TTH she reminds me of Alyssa Bates who seems to hate the loud chaos that occurs in the Bates house.  Once you get used to the peace and quiet and can be a bit of surprise when you experience how loud kids can be whether they are throwing a fit or not.  

Zach also commented in one of the early Bringing up Bates that he didn't notice how loud it was until he moved out and would come over to visit. 

On 8/11/2017 at 11:44 AM, VelociRapture said:

ETA: I should be clear - I'm not saying she's pregnant or will be soon. Just that making faces at a screaming kid can happen regardless of the occupancy or vacancy of your uterus. 

Okay, when JinJer do announce a pregnancy, I want Uterus Occupied as a thread title please.

10 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

Growing up conservative christian at least gives you the option of branching out and learning more. Fundamentalism by its nature does everything in its power to indoctrinate and disempower you to ever question or leave the flock.

That's pretty good heuristic for marking the difference, IMO! There are other things, but fundamentalists definitely lean this way

My ex-friend parents never should have had kids.  Her father was a house painter and did terrible work. He did a local photo and video store because her brother worked their and it started peeling with in a week. 

I feel like you need to elaborate. Being bad at your job doesn't mean you are a bad parent.

I'm also uncomfortable with the classism inherent in the notion that people in lower economic strata should just not have children or that providing basic needs to children along with being loving parents is not enough because good parenting is defined by the bells and whistles of upper middle class lifestyles now.

19 hours ago, seraaa said:

when people say, "God wanted us to stop having children", what are they basing that on (a feeling? an in-depth Bible exegesis?) 

I would've said that it was based on evidence that "the babies stopped arriving."  

But I have an unusually old-time mindset on procreation: pregnancy happened or it didn't.  Huge numbers of children didn't reflect God's favor or a person's pious obedience to a command.  

Since most of the cases we follow here consider large families both a command and a status symbol, it's hard to say.

Possibly for some of them (I'm thinking couples like the Loomii who have trouble with pregnancies before birth) it's an expression of woeful resignation, a la, "nothing we did was successful in letting us have more than we wound up with. Obviously this was God saying we were thru at {number}."

I have spent my life volunteering in the church nursery, babysitting, coaching Special Olympics and tots ice skating, working in day cares and I have three kids of my own. I still make the faces Jinger and Jeremy made. Toddler screeches are freaking loud, I'm sure it just startled Jinger (who is now used to quiet and not around 1,000 kids all day anymore) and Jeremy probably just isn't used to toddlers. 

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

I would've said that it was based on evidence that "the babies stopped arriving."  

Oh, absolutely! I think I get that bit. It's the people who choose to limit their family size and say that's God' will who I'm wondering about more, but I guess there are also other external signs which could apply in that context.

The photo was taken down already, but according to Fort Rock Camp's Instagram Jinger will be a Bridesmaid for Nawon Kwon. Wedding is today in Springdale, Arkansas.

The dress Jinger is wearing today on Instagram looks white because it's a black and white picture but if she's in the wedding, it may just be a very light pink or something similar. It's a cute dress. 

Pickles posted a video of the wedding and Jinger's dress does look pretty white... the duggars are front and center in that video lol I saw jb and mooch, Jill and Derick with Sammy but no Israel, they all blocked the view from the brides entrance.  At the end they showed a video of some of the brides friends saying stuff about her and it included Joy and Austin and Jinger (no Jeremy)

On 8/10/2017 at 10:50 PM, lomo6 said:

Was Spurgeon throwing a fit though, or just making a run-of-the mill toddler squawk? Cause it seemed like the latter to me, in which case Jinger's reaction does seem a bit dramatic considering she grew up with 13 younger siblings. I have a friend with a toddler and even when he has thrown legitimate fits, I try not to let my jaw hit the table in shock. :tw_joy:

Now does that mean she's gotten an IUD and won't be trying for Baby Vuolo until she hits 30? Almost certainly not. But an FJer can dream...

Sorry, and good point. I watched the trailer muted so I didn't actually hear the squawk. 

2 hours ago, jerkit said:

Jinger looks gorgeous and not pregnant. Thumbs up.

I agree. Though I seriously doubted she would be horse riding if she was pregnant (photo from a few days ago on Instagram). Edit - I just checked and it's not Jinger on the horse so ignore my comment!

I guess today's friend's wedding means Joe and Kendra's needs to be tomorrow if it's this weekend. Do the Duggars do Sunday weddings?

2 minutes ago, adidas said:

Though I seriously doubted she would be horse riding if she was pregnant

That wasn't Jinger on the horse.

54 minutes ago, WhyNotJulie said:

This just in: Jeremy, thankfully, opposes the Charlottesville shitstorm.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.22.24 PM.png

Well, that is one good thing.  I hope he is sincere and I hope he will use his position as a public person and a pastor to work for justice

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:24 PM, WhyNotJulie said:

This just in: Jeremy, thankfully, opposes the Charlottesville shitstorm.

That's nice start , but I'm not giving him any brownie points.

If Iremember correctly from a couple of his sermons, he implied that racism is simply a personal moral  failing. He's probably one of those "colourblind" people who have no understanding of structural power. 

Plus, he's still transphobic and believes all Catholics are heathens.

My friend who was raised Catholic was taught that non Catholics went to hell. Now the Fundies think that Catholics are going to hell...

3 hours ago, jerkit said:

Jinger looks gorgeous and not pregnant. Thumbs up.

where is this video on pickles facebook i don't see it 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

That wasn't Jinger on the horse.

that was kinda obvious I thought 

and she still doesn't know what mounted means - she should use words that she knows otherwise I laugh myself silly 

55 minutes ago, nst said:

where is this video on pickles facebook i don't see it 

Here, I guess. At least, this is the YouTube previously livestream video of Cole & Nawon's wedding. (?!) Jinger's in light blue it looks like. She appears as the second bridesmaid to arrive.  

Note: Since I can't seem to get the video to start at the beginning, as  it insists on starting at 1:43 for me at least, to see Jinger's arrival, back up to the beginning of the video.

(Regardless of the error screen I'm seeing in the preview, it appears to be a working link, if not embed.)

57 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Here, I guess. At least, this is the YouTube previously livestream video of Cole & Nawon's wedding. (?!) Jinger's in light blue it looks like. She appears as the second bridesmaid to arrive. 

Thanks for posting this. It worked for me but was a bit jumpy, though I only watched until they sat after the bride arrived. 

Jill looks really great! Glad to see all the speculation looks to be off base. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived