• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe that's why they're in no (apparent) hurry to have offspring?! lol

His face truly says more than Jinger's does. hahahaha

13 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Maybe that's why they're in no (apparent) hurry to have offspring?! lol

His face truly says more than Jinger's does. hahahaha

Ok, I broke down and watched the trailer to see what they were reacting to - it was Spurgeon having a fit (for those of you who don't want to sit through the video). 

So it begs the question: why did Jinger (who obviously has been around many toddlers) seem so surprised and horrified? Do you think it was because they were out in public (because Duggars toddlers were rarely out in public often enough to throw tantrums)? Or maybe because the Duggarlings weren't allowed to throw tantrums and were blanket trained?

Don't read too much into the expressions. I was in my first trimester when I made those faces at my nephew who was acting his age of less than a year. It's not pleasant dealing with horrible morning sickness and a screaming three month old at the same time. :pb_lol:

I will say their facial expressions are phenomenal though. Too bad he's a homophobic, catholic bashing, patriarchal ass and she thinks abortion is evil under any circumstance.

ETA: I should be clear - I'm not saying she's pregnant or will be soon. Just that making faces at a screaming kid can happen regardless of the occupancy or vacancy of your uterus. 

Or it could be out of character for Spurgeon.  Jinger has probably not been around Spurg as much and maybe isn't used to him throwing a fit.  He has always been a pretty chill little boy, and now he is older and dealing with having his world turned upside down with the addition of Henry.  So she may have just been caught off guard

Was Spurgeon throwing a fit though, or just making a run-of-the mill toddler squawk? Cause it seemed like the latter to me, in which case Jinger's reaction does seem a bit dramatic considering she grew up with 13 younger siblings. I have a friend with a toddler and even when he has thrown legitimate fits, I try not to let my jaw hit the table in shock. :tw_joy:

Now does that mean she's gotten an IUD and won't be trying for Baby Vuolo until she hits 30? Almost certainly not. But an FJer can dream...

5 hours ago, 16strong said:

So... Jinger's face. Haha.

Bahaha that was great XD definitely seen a similar look on the faces of my childless friends when my 15 month old acts ridiculous.

Hahaha...Jinger jumped a little when Spurgeon screamed. Looks like she's gotten used to the peace and quiet of not having little kids running around everywhere any more :pb_lol: That long "Uhhhhhhhh" they both gave in response to being questioned about having kids was pretty funny too.

I went to a Grace Church once or twice with friends when I was a teenager. It seemed super Christian and borderline fundie-ish to me when I was 15-16, but in retrospect, that's because my religious upbringing was very unusual, and I didn't realize how unusual until I was older (my first concert was a Kirtan, to give you an idea, haha.) Knowing what I know now though about how extreme some Christian fundamentalists are in their beliefs and practices, GC doesn't seem fundie to me anymore, just mainstream conservative Christian. Granted, this was 13 years ago, so I'm not sure what its like now, but the people I was friends with back then were allowed to listen to secular music, be gamers, and go out with heathens like me unchaperoned to scary, dangerous dens of iniquity like Barnes and Noble (to buy manga, no less :pb_surprised:), which fundies would never, ever, ever be allowed to do, even as adults in their own right, much less as teenagers. Its definitely less strict and more mainstream than how Jinger was raised. Good for them!  

I listened to the sermon @cascaronesprovided by Jeremy's mentor (Pastor Tim...something). The most memorable quote on why he stopped having kids after five.... His wife asked if they could stop when they had a 5 under 6 or something and she needed to start homeschooling. He said she was "wiped out". And he "sought the lord" who "confirmed it was time to stop having kids, out of love for my wife". Because he is supposed to love her like Jesus loves the church.

Also he notes that there is a tension between "be fruitful...and multiply". And that multiplying can't be a commandment because Paul makes it clear marriage is optional (something about maybe it's easier to devote yourself to faith if you don't marry). So if marriage is about discernment then so is the number of kids, as long as you surrender to the will of god. You can't choose not to have kids because it's just easier or a preference though. He also says based on Paul's marriage might be bad for devoting yourself to god verse that a couple could decide not to have kids if they were on a spiritual mission (made me think of Jill and Derrick in CA). But maybe a justification for Jeremy and Jinger too. He said that that would be something you would have to wrestle with and it's not specifically in scripture.

But that's pretty different than the Duggars take on things! I very much doubt Jinger is going to have a horde of kids based on this point of view.

Re Jinger's face: 

My nephews are under 4, and when I hang out with them, my facial expressions are all :wtsf:and :my_biggrin: when they're being bad or good, because I'm trying to back up their parents.  So when the threenager is kicking off and looking at me to see if I'm grinning at him, my face says "I'm so shocked you're being naughty", for example (my brother will grin at him, which just encourages him to kick off even more, which I think is unfair).  And when my sister/brother in law praise them for something, my smile is all "wow, you're SO good".  I don't even think about it consciously, I just become aware I have this exaggerated face on to try to back up what they're saying non-verbally.

I wouldn't be as OTT as Jinger in that shot, but then her expressions can be OTT to start with.  So I guess I'm not seeing the :TRUCDEOUF: as "I'm never having kids", more as "I can't believe you just did that".

Yeah Jinger and Jeremy's expressions encapsulate the reaction of myself and all my early 20's childless friends when near a squealing child.

About two years ago I was at a party where I ended up holding a 7 month old out of necessity. I'd never held a baby before, and I'm fairly certain my face stayed on Jeremy mode for the entire 5 minutes I held that kid. :wtsf:

6 hours ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

Hahaha...Jinger jumped a little when Spurgeon screamed. Looks like she's gotten used to the peace and quiet of not having little kids running around everywhere any more :pb_lol: That long "Uhhhhhhhh" they both gave in response to being questioned about having kids was pretty funny too.

I agree.  Jinger seems to have embraced the peace and quiet of their home away from the craziness of the TTH she reminds me of Alyssa Bates who seems to hate the loud chaos that occurs in the Bates house.  Once you get used to the peace and quiet and can be a bit of surprise when you experience how loud kids can be whether they are throwing a fit or not.  

Back in !986,I became friends with a neighbor.I had 3 boys, 5,3 and 1.She had a boy,3, and a girl ,1. I gave her a ride,one day,with 5 kids,in the car.Her 3 year old got excited and shrieked..it sounded like a bloodcurdling scream.I nearly jumped out of my skin...while driving.

2 hours ago, drivingmishcrazy said:

@Lurky That's a fair point and you could be right.

Yes @Lurky!  I do the same thing with my little niece--my SIL, a single mom, has specifically asked me to back her up on the punishment/praise thing!

18 hours ago, formerpastorswife said:

Growing up as the oldest of seven who lived in tight (not-quite Rodrigues-type, but close) quarters with my six younger siblings growing up, we were very close friends then. Some of it was because we traveled so much that we were around each other more than anyone else. Part of it was because my parents urged the "making brothers and sisters best friends" philosophy (which honestly, I have nothing to argue about, unless you use it to exclude having "outside" friends. Then it's a problem). II was very close with both of my brothers who were next in line below me, and considered my second younger brother (4 years younger) my best friend. didn't consider it a "forced" thing, just a natural outgrowth of the time we spent together. 

Sadly though, once we all started getting married and moving away, we quickly fell out of touch with each other. It's been a year and a half since I've even seen the brother who was once my best friend. And I pretty much only talk to my brothers at family events, and maybe a brief "how are you doing?" "I'm doing good, how about you?" text every few months. I think most of it is due to the fact that what made us close (time spent together) is no longer there, and the fact that we now have different interests, different "circles", and even different opinions on how we were raised. Doesn't mean that we weren't genuinely friends when we were younger, just means that we're (to borrow a Dugger phrase) in a different "season of life" now. lol

(On the other hand, though, my sister who was only "one of the littler kids" when I was married, is now 22 and has become my best friend!) :)

The older Duggar kids didn't have a childhood where they got to play, hang out, or even really do anything fun together. The Duggar daughters were cooking, cleaning, raising kids, schooling, etc. when they were small children. In the original specials Joy was 5 or 6 years old and already had a little buddy. 

All I know is what I've seen on screen but any of their "sister time" seemed so forced and uncomfortable. The only real bonds I've seen in that family appear to be between the older girls and their buddies. The older daughters? If they weren't on the same show in the same frumpy skirts, I wouldn't believe they were anything other than acquaintances that attended the same mom-and-me playgroup twice a month. 

However CO relies on the network of "relationships" between the older kids, so now there are just way more forced interactions and it's odd. Even things like Jessa and Jinger shopping when she was pregnant with Spurgeon was just awkward. 

As a parent, as an aunt, great aunt, I've made those faces. They're the first line of response when a kid shrieks. If you get off with the "what was THAT" face, the child may know that that level of noise isn't approved of and may quiet down right there. 

You may have seen the "Kate Middleton" pictures on facebook, where she's holding a kid and the other kid is doing something inappropriate. That Face is the "if you don't stop it immediately you 'n me 're going back behind the woodshed" face.

That's the second face...

There are quite a few parenting faces

the "you're in church, be quiet" face

the "don't you DARE say that to your grandmother' face

the "I'm glad you're alive but if you're ever in another accident I'll KILL you" face

need I go on? 

Jinger's face ain't nothin'.

4 hours ago, minniestwin said:

I agree.  Jinger seems to have embraced the peace and quiet of their home away from the craziness of the TTH.  

It could be she never enjoyed it but had to tolerate it.   I grew up in a home with extended family very close by (3 family house, next door to more family).  We had 3 aunts and one uncle at the dinner table every day with more family added on Sundays.  It was incredibly noisy at all times, with zero privacy.  I hated every forced board game, family sing a longs,  being polite to relatives who were too damm intrusive and the never ending talk and noise.

I married a very quiet man, there was just the two of us for dinner, we were able to converse rather than shout and I loved the peace and to be able to read or use the bathroom without being interuppted.

Jinger enjoy every minute of the quiet.

12 hours ago, drivingmishcrazy said:

Bahaha that was great XD definitely seen a similar look on the faces of my childless friends when my 15 month old acts ridiculous.

I went to dinner with my best friend and her 2 boys, 5 and 3. The look on my face was even worse. After 20 minutes I was ready to have my tubes tied. And mind you I've taught a lot of kids and had a classroom of 32 before. But as a childless person having dinner with close friends, that was a nightmare.

14 hours ago, lomo6 said:

Was Spurgeon throwing a fit though, or just making a run-of-the mill toddler squawk? Cause it seemed like the latter to me

I'm kind of in agreement. I thought it looked more like the adults were talking and spurge joined in loudly which surprised everyone and it was edited to make a Jinger and Jeremy look apauled to go along with the "why is jing still not knocked up" storyline. JMO

On 8/10/2017 at 8:29 AM, drivingmishcrazy said:

Same, I went to GCC for years and hated it, but it's pretty vanilla in comparison to Gothard's brand of crazy, imo. Would be nice if JMac's followers weren't such brownnosers though. :eyeroll:

Is it a conservative/mainstream rather than a fundamentalist church? I know these definitions are blurry, but, for example, the poster above said that they aren't as legalistic about dress, which could be a conservative rather than a fundamentalist indicator.

8 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

as long as you surrender to the will of god. You can't choose not to have kids because it's just easier or a preference though

The Bible does not explicitly state how many children a person should have, so does that mean people read around and between the lines to get a feel for what they should do? 

So when people say, "God wanted us to stop having children", what are they basing that on (a feeling? an in-depth Bible exegesis?) and how is it different from "we (without God) decided to stop having children because my wife is exhausted caring for our existent kids, and it was the most sensible thing to do?

Or, say someone thought the second thing, what would need to happen for someone to believe that it was God's will to move forward and not just their preference?

(Can you tell I'm not actively religious?)

23 minutes ago, seraaa said:

The Bible does not explicitly state how many children a person should have, so does that mean people read around and between the lines to get a feel for what they should do? 

So when people say, "God wanted us to stop having children", what are they basing that on (a feeling? an in-depth Bible exegesis?) and how is it different from "we (without God) decided to stop having children because my wife is exhausted caring for our existent kids, and it was the most sensible thing to do?

It varies for everyone. I know one couple who stopped after she almost died while pregnant with #4, they were letting God decide and they figured that was his sign saying enough.  I know another couple who stopped after only 1, she had an easy pregnancy easy delivery, and an easy baby.  They always said God never laid it on either of their hearts to have another one.  Truthfully they were horrible parents and were to selfish to have even ONE child.  I think most people just stop when they can't handle it anymore, most women don't want to be pregnant for 25 years. Or they just can't afford anymore kids.  Most of my devoutly catholic anti birth control family had 5 to 6 kids and all of them are DIRT ASS POOR. No education, more kids than they could feed or house, they were miserable. 

My favorite quote on this subject comes from John Fugelsang, he says something along the line of 'when God told Adam to be fruitful and multiply there were 2 people on earth.  There are now 8 billion, mission accomplished.'

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived