IGNORED

Dillards 38: Still Chewing on that Foot in His Mouth

Coconut Flan

I gotta agree that there shouldn't be a hard rule about "how much" progress is acceptable when it comes to learning another language. Sure, if you're preparing for an international exam that's one thing, but otherwise, it's such an individual experience. It's these exact casual, pointless, benchmarks that make people who are really struggling clam up even more. 

I am from the US and have been living in Chile for several years. If I had a nickel for every time another non-Spanish-speaking foreigner told me they were more nervous speaking Spanish around other Spanish learners than around native Spanish speakers, I would have a good couple of dollars. It does exactly zero good to shame people for their language level.

Not to mention, exchange students generally get a rich, varied, challenging, and paid-for-up-front experience with language. A lot of my friends here are working 14 hour days, often in English, and struggling to pay rent. Yes, I try to take every opportunity I can to challenge myself and use the language, but it's not that awesome to read about how we should all be more like exchange students. Unfortunately, real life abroad can often feel reduced to "hola" and "gracias" for periods of time.

Personally, I studied Spanish throughout high school, was okay at it, and tried to practice as it came up in real life (with friends and relatives, when traveling, etc). Every day, I'm still floored by how different real, local, Chilean Spanish is from anything I ever learned in school and am constantly insecure. I don't really want to shit on Derrick and Jill for trying (and in a place much more dangerous than Chile, and with little kids to deal with) and when I have heard them using short Spanish phrases, nicknames, etc. Like it or not, that is technically progress.

I'll shit on them for their dumb colonialist Christian bullshit and grifting though, for sure.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt.....I think this thread has proven that Jill and Dewreck have run out of all good will with me. It happens when you have a demonstrated history of being generally shitty, sanctimonious people while also being incredibly fucking lazy. 

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I'm no saying I expect them to sing Despacio perfectly next week, but come on. 

Believe me, if they had actually gotten out of the house they would have known the lyrics by March :pb_lol:

46 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Believe me, if they had actually gotten out of the house they would have known the lyrics by March :pb_lol:

My 3YO GD knows that song- Is it offensive?

*Limited Spanish speaking GM- although my GD thinks that I am fluent.

3 hours ago, Dutchie said:

I kind of agree, I'm from Holland and here (in my social circle) most people speak quite effortless, while far from perfect English. In most social engagements it is just easier to switch to English than to help someone learn Dutch. Which I know is a problem for people trying to learn the local language. 

It comes and goes, I've lived places where people are really excited to get to practice their English with an English-as-a-first-language speaker. Just like I've wanted to practice and learn the language of the place. Sometimes it's a catch-22, sometimes you find your spot and a balance, sometimes you don't. Loved a little cafe on the same street I lived on, they spoke to me in  English as best they could, I spoke to them in my nascent Italian, gentle corrections on both sides. Often laughter when we bumped up against topics none of us could properly convey in the other language (or alternately, understand what was trying to be said).

It's also worth noting that Jill seems to be quite fearful in Central America and of being out and about alone, so there's a chance they do all of their basics like grocery shopping with a group she feels comfortable with. Then she's with someone bilingual who probably moves things along at a faster pace for ease.

38 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Cute dirty, at most. Nothing direct, lots of subtle i'm gonna fuck you hard and long. The actual lyrics are innocent if you don't get the double meaning

38 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Only in that it is an overplayed terrible song that Justin Bieber hung his slimy ass too to get radio play world wide.  As for the lyrics I have no idea, I'm not entirely sure what Despacito means.

18 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Only in that it is an overplayed terrible song that Justin Bieber hung his slimy ass too to get radio play world wide.  As for the lyrics I have no idea, I'm not entirely sure what Despacito means.

Hey I like that song! My only problem with it is that Justin Bieber is attached to it :pb_lol:

Despacito means slowly. This thread is inspiring me to read Harry Potter in Spanish to brush up on my rusty, awful skills.

@HarryPotterFan you might appreciate this. I got my wisdom teeth out not too long after Deathly Hallows hit the stands and had been reading it in the waiting room. With whatever they gave me I assumed the Australian ginger was one of the Weasley boys. I just *really* wanted it to be Charlie and got toddler pouty that he wasn't, because he couldn't name a dragon after me. 

Brother loves to tell the tale, still cracks himself up over it.

21 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

This thread is inspiring me to read Harry Potter in Spanish to brush up on my rusty, awful skills.

Reading a book you know by heart in a foreign language makes it a lot easier to learn IMHO! I have read all books in my native language and in English, recently I started the first one in Danish. Because I have read the German and English versions several times already I kinda know each sentence. So if there is a Danish word I don't understand yet, I know what it means by context and because I know the story by heart. 

(With Danish I am in that weird phase where I can read newspapers or subtitles without any problem, write normal day to day stuff but I can't understand much when I hear it spoken. And well, I hate speaking English too, so speaking Danish is even worse.)

But when I was in Copenhagen at the LEGO store the guy asked me after he scanned in my VIP card (customer card thing) and saw my nationality if I wanted to talk in Danish, English or German. And so I ended up talking in German to him. But I did force myself to speak Danish in another store requesting a certain bag from behind the counter. And while looking for was museum I asked a builder in English first and he did not understand me so I switched to Danish. But yeah, it is hard when you want to speak and learn but they automatically switch to English. I try not to do that myself because I know how annoying it is. When I write with non German speaker who want to learn German I write easy German and may add a translation for a single word that is a bit more complicated after it. Or I write both, English and German.

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Uhhh... I wouldn't say offensive per se (totally in the eye of the beholder) but the lyrics are pretty sexually charged. Lots of double meanings (but not hard to see through). I, personally, get really weirded out when I see kids singing along to certain parts.

2 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Cute dirty, at most. Nothing direct, lots of subtle i'm gonna fuck you hard and long. The actual lyrics are innocent if you don't get the double meaning

"Introduce my mouth to your favorite places and and let me pass your danger zones until I provoke your cries and you forget your name". A wee bit more than "cute dirty" to me and is part of the chorus :) . I personally love(ed) the song (it is waaaay overplayed now, as all "songs of the summer" get to be by August) but it's not entirely age-appropriate!

I just read derick's tweets against Jazz, he is such a disgusting bully. He referred to Jazz as "him." If Derick really wants to take a stand against all things transgender, why does he continue appearing on and taking money from a network that supports it? But no he loves his lazy life too much to quit TLC and actually work for a living.

@PainfullyAware I can totally see disappointment with his life as a contributing factor to his tirades.

It reminds me a bit of the harsh comments I'll see on articles about food stamps/medicaid (in the US I mean); there's always at least one commenter who says something to the effect of, "When was poor, I didn't do_______ because couldn't afford it! Hrumph!" (fill in the blank above with something that's really no big deal like buy junk food on occasion.) Except in Derrick's case, the sentiment is more along the lines of, "gave up the things in life that make me happiest for Jesus, and all of you that aren't doing the same just aren't living for Him enough. Hrumph!" 

I think being married to Jill allowed Derrick to be his authentic self, as Oprah would say. He likely always had the same hateful beliefs but had to hide them so as to function at school, work and in society. Now, he is finished with school, has no job and seems to only surround himself with Duggars who think the same way. I would bet his college friends fell away once he became a Duggar as they were living more normal lives. He doesn't have to work, doesn't really have to make his wife happy because she was trained to serve his needs, doesn't have to even attempt to function in society and can be his authentic asshole self. He can attack Children on twitter and still feel like he is in the righteous position.It's a win win situation for him. 

15 minutes ago, cptbailey said:

Poor persecuted Derick. Keep feeding that victim complex Buddy

Dude needs to a FT job, and start contributing something useful to society. He has way too much time on his hands.

37 minutes ago, cptbailey said:

Um Derick, nothing is perfect. The words "perfect" and "normal" can be highly debated. Regards this heathen person.

I'm always so torn on anything to do with learning language. I live in a US city where 89% of the population speaks Spanish at home, my mom's entire side of the family are native Spanish speakers, and even after years of classes my Spanish is elementary at best. I understand it fairly well, I can fumble through social niceties and basic industry related interactions at work but that's about it. It has just never stuck. It's a constant source of embarrassment. My uncle on the other hand is fluent in 11 languages. I clearly didn't get that gene lol.

I'm cracking up about despacito. My three year old loves that song and my Canadian husband is constantly relieved that neither him nor the offspring understand it at all. 

8 minutes ago, BabyFactoryClosing said:

I'm always so torn on anything to do with learning language. I live in a US city where 89% of the population speaks Spanish at home, my mom's entire side of the family are native Spanish speakers, and even after years of classes my Spanish is elementary at best. I understand it fairly well, I can fumble through social niceties and basic industry related interactions at work but that's about it. It has just never stuck. It's a constant source of embarrassment. My uncle on the other hand is fluent in 11 languages. I clearly didn't get that gene lol.

I'm cracking up about despacito. My three year old loves that song and my Canadian husband is constantly relieved that neither him nor the offspring understand it at all. 

I am the same as you. Both my parents speak multiple languages fluently. 

My Spanish is OK, but so slow you most well go get a coffee while I'm putting together my sentence. I can read fluent French but speaking it gets harder for me every day as I use it less. My Afrikaans is absolutely shocking I have forgotten most of it, if not all of it. 

I don't know how to swear in any other languages apart from English. I'm also fluent in "Aussie Slang"...

On 8/7/2017 at 5:49 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

Others have mentioned how Derick went after a child rather than an adult, as he is a weak little man child who knows if he picked on someone his own size his ass would get handed to him. Imagine if he personally went after Laverne Cox. She's been putting up with transphobic bull for longer than Jazz has. I'd imagine the backlash against Derdick would even bigger, as she has a larger fan base.

DON'T GIVE HIM IDEAS! I love Laverne and will gladly throw down for her, but I really don't want to actually converse with this asshole.

2 hours ago, cptbailey said:

I'd consider him a bully no matter who he might be compared to.

23 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I'm doing my best to remain appropriate and not cross any lines. Something was challenging with this birth and led them to post about feeling punished or questioning their decisions. Is it possible derick's timing with his attack on jazz to distract from something related to the birth? Or did something related to the birth cause him to lash out now? There are many possible reasons but maybe placing responsibility for being on a a network associated with "sin?"

I really truly believe that he's lashing out due to some misery in his own life. The birth obviously didn't go according to plan. Who knows what went wrong exactly. But, from what we've seen of his delusional self-importance, perhaps not having all his and Jill's exact whims and wishes fulfilled by god is enough for him to feel forsaken and angry. Maybe they're harboring feelings that god is punishing them for being on the same network as Jazz and not speaking out against the "sin" or whatever. Maybe his health problems are worsening. Maybe he just can't handle the stress of having yet another young "manipulative" mouth to feed on a grifter's income. Whatever it is, he's a pice of shit and should stop taking out his issues on innocent children he's never even met.

I don't have the right words to express how angry his comments and purposeful misgendering of Jazz makes me. She deserves better. People like him perpetuate attitudes and hate that get trans folks murdered. 

Derick seems immature and self centered to me.  For goodness sake,  Ben is a more involved, natural father.  He and Jessa seem happy together, their children seem happy, and well cared for.  I don't think Derick or Jill have that same natural, spontaneous warmth and fascination for their children. They don't seem content with their life.  I feel kind of sorry for Izzy.  I hope the Dullards stay close to the compound, so Izzy can hang with his cousins and have fun.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived