IGNORED

What is a duvet?

Not sure if you are literally asking what a duvet is, if you know that every bed in the UK has one.  But a duvet is a quilt filled with down, feathers, or a synthetic fiber.  You can put covers on them or put the duvet inside a duvet cover to change the look of it.  I have a duvet but I use it as a comforter a lot of different areas/people use them instead of sheets or top blankets. 

I think we had a spirited duvet conversation a while back and I nominate it to be a Topic of Doom :P if it is not already....

Did I miss a new thread drift about bedcovers? 

I liked the idea of a duvet with a cover that could be removed and washed easily and changed out when I got in the mood for a new color/pattern. Then I hit the reality of wrestling a king sized duvet in and out of said cover all while fending off a cat who thought alternately hanging off of and climbing into said cover was a grand, new game. 

I now own a quilt. 

Well, I haven't found a thread drift regarding duvets yet, but I see that this thread started in Quiverfull of Duggars. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

@Karma, I'm not sure if I'm really all that fascinated with doonas, etc. I just find it amusing how passionate people can get about their choices. :) 

If I had my way, we would have a nice down comforter or duvet with a choice of covers, but that isn't practical for our current life. We use multiple blankets so that we can add or substract to meet our needs and they can easily be washed in an ordinary washing machine. Our bed gets icky stuff on it far too often (thanks to kids and cat) for us to use anything that needs dry cleaning or a special large capacity washer. Other people make the choices that work for them. 

I guess I just love the way certain thread drifts spring out like a Jack-in-the-Box. Then Jack gets put back in his box, but 6 months later, out he springs! I am way too easily amused! :pb_lol:

Wait, a duvet is what we call a "Bettdecke" in German? Those cloud like fluffy things? I always thought that it was more of a bedspread kind of thing. Mind blown...

3 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

Wait, a duvet is what we call a "Bettdecke" in German? Those cloud like fluffy things? I always thought that it was more of a bedspread kind of thing. Mind blown...

Well, I got this when I Googled "bettdecke":

Spoiler

2017-08-01-00-40-18-.jpg.9fa38b1278395e840df0a6ae45b72b75.jpg

And this when I Googled "duvet":

Spoiler

images.jpg.f9c68b93477f8297d11a768f64adefe0.jpg

So, yes, I guess? :)

A few of my sleep-over petsitting jobs (years back) included a bed with a nice duvet. I considered it a job perk.:)

• 1 month later...

Archived