IGNORED

Pris & TFDW 6: The Lookalike Family

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Pris and David look alike and Davia and Philip are so very similar.  Will the next kid look like Paul?

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may have been brought up before, so apologies if this is the case, but do Fundies intermarry between the families so much that they start looking the same? (Or am I just imagining things?)

Not that I'm saying that they're all related in some weird way (although some could be distant cousins, I suppose), but what do I know?

:: shrugs ::

5 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

This may have been brought up before, so apologies if this is the case, but do Fundies intermarry between the families so much that they start looking the same? (Or am I just imagining things?)

Not that I'm saying that they're all related in some weird way (although some could be distant cousins, I suppose), but what do I know?

Not in the case of Pecan and his bride.  She's from Florida; his family is from somewhere up north.  

Given that this is David we're talking about, my own guess is that he chose Pris because she looked like him.  Or maybe some other family member.  

9 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Lookalike kids for sure

David, you forgot #family ! You're backsliding, Pecan King. 

Boy, Phillip is getting big. Davia looks like I do when I'm smiling and saying, "take the darned picture."

1 hour ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

David, you forgot #family ! You're backsliding, Pecan King. 

He's the Pecan King. He can do anything. (Apologies to Jim Morrison.)

For some reason, I just had a picture flash in my head. What if Pecan Man was dressed as the Goblin King? :brainbleach:

Humble apologies to David Bowie, too. Sorry, Mr. Jones.

ps: they are cute little sprogs, aren't they? 

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 3:09 PM, LadyCrow1313 said:

This may have been brought up before, so apologies if this is the case, but do Fundies intermarry between the families so much that they start looking the same?

At least pretty much all the S'Morton grandkids look like they could be siblings.

I just think Davia needs to start a fundie version of SNL when she gets older. Her expressions ....

On 7/26/2017 at 8:09 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

:: shrugs ::

I doubt that's a problem with these fundies, but it's a real issue with the Amish! Some Fundamentalist Mormon communities also have a lot of genetic diseases because of intermarriage.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:55 PM, Rachel333 said:

I doubt that's a problem with these fundies, but it's a real issue with the Amish! Some Fundamentalist Mormon communities also have a lot of genetic diseases because of intermarriage.

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities have this issue, too.  I'm aware of at least one community where the rabbi submits blood samples to a geneticist before permitting a couple to marry, in case of dangerous recessive genes and relatedness in general.

1 hour ago, AlysonRR said:

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities have this issue, too.  I'm aware of at least one community where the rabbi submits blood samples to a geneticist before permitting a couple to marry, in case of dangerous recessive genes and relatedness in general.

Meeting with a genetic counselor prior to marriage or even just genetic testing as a teen for all the kids in the community is very common.  Makes sense if they will be expected to be fruitful and have a dozen children. 

1 hour ago, AlysonRR said:

How sensible and pragmatic! I can't somehow see the average fundy using ebil science in this way...

9 hours ago, AlysonRR said:

This is very true!  As much as they want them to have a ton of kids. They also want them to be healthy. 

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

This is very true!  As much as they want them to have a ton of kids. They also want them to be healthy. 

That's very sensible! Unlike certain communities of people we know of. *Cough FLDS Cough* 

On 28.7.2017 at 4:48 PM, LurkerOverThePond said:

At least pretty much all the S'Morton grandkids look like they could be siblings.

Well, the grandkids from the three S'Morton couples are double first cousins. That's genetically like being half-siblings; small wonder if they tend to look alike.

13 hours ago, JMO said:

Meeting with a genetic counselor prior to marriage or even just genetic testing as a teen for all the kids in the community is very common.  Makes sense if they will be expected to be fruitful and have a dozen children. 

My OB has a genetic counsellor on staff here in TN. I'm currently in the process of having a full panel done prior to conception. She told me they offer it to all their parents. Is that not common?

21 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

My OB has a genetic counsellor on staff here in TN. I'm currently in the process of having a full panel done prior to conception. She told me they offer it to all their parents. Is that not common?

In the orthodox community they test all the kids, either while still in high school or during the match making process.  It's not uncommon for an OB to have a genetic counselor,  but that is for their already pregnant or wanting to get pregnant patients, not teens who will purposefully not be allowed to marry certain other teens because of their genetic traits.  

ETA: My OB sees a large Orthodox/Hasidic population and he only recommends a genetic counselor for high risk patients (I was 40 at last pregnancy).  The general recommendation is for pregnant patients 35 and older.  

David hasn't a clue how to talk to children. When he asks Philip if he's playing with his toys he sounds like he's a stranger who doesn't know how to interact with kids. He really is awkward. Methinks Priscilla does all the wimmin's work, all of the time.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:57 AM, Carm_88 said:

Phillip is sooo cute!

1. Agreed - he is adorbs. I particularly love the Brian Setzer hair he's rocking out.

2. But where's the #family?! Why aren't they all #together?!!

Genetic counselling can be quite invasive if it needs to be. I started the process when I was 17 because at that point I was a Roman Catholic and thought I'd be married at 20(not a stretch I had a boyfriend...) but anyways the entire process actually took about 10 years testing my blood every few years when new advances in genome testing become available and included my husband when we were engaged but thankfully couldn't see any genetic diseases(they don't know all the genetic diseases and haven't mapped the entire genome for every possibly) but basically said all of my medical issues are most likely not genetic more of a freak occurrence and go ahead and have babies. 

On 7/31/2017 at 8:58 PM, AlysonRR said:

A friend is from a small town where, for a couple of decades, an annual assignment for 7th(8th?) graders is to make and share their family tree.  The results show how related they are to everyone in the town.  It's then explained and discussed how they will want to go outside the community to date.    

AFAIK, this has become an accepted and welcome part of schooling, there.  Young people hang out on group dates, as it were, through high school. Sure enough, they find mates from outside the community and so far, all is well genetically. 

Keep the Bunsen burners of your more scholarly minds off and don't flame me -- I've just heard the story.  Anyway we all know it wouldn't work in Smith-land - there's dreadful government SCHOOLS involved!!! 

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived