IGNORED

Counting on Season Four, Part 6

samurai_sarah

11 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

ETA: I LOVE that Ben roams around the Duggars' hoard of food and leaves warning notes on things.

I dunno, most adults have adult things to do other than this..... jobs, you know, that sort of thing.  I am amazed he can find time between whatever he does for money and changing all those diapers when he is at home to lurk in the pantry.

Perhaps "Lurking In The Pantry" might get some fame .... or was that flame....?  :ABON:

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, luxfilia said:

*snip*
TMI alert: Our honeymoon was awesome, but the advice from my gyn. about skipping the placebo week on the BC was NOT. I began my marriage with over a month of bleeding. ughhh

Wow that really sucks! I have done this little "trick" numerous times to move an inconveniently timed period and all it did was move it. I even went through a long stretch where I timed my pills so I would only have a period every 2 months, on my doctor's suggestion - or more of a "hey did you know you can do this?" She was close to my age so maybe that's why she thought to mention it. But no side effects or difference in the period itself once I did allow it.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Wait, what did Ben say about GMO's? That's one of the issues with the largest gap between the opinion of scientists, almost all of whom think that GMO's are safe to eat, and the general public, who tend to be scared of GMO's without knowing the facts.

This! I get so frustrated with this whole GMO thing.... scientific consensus holds that they are safe - and they are so important in developing parts of the world where they are able to use GMO's to create hardier and healthier crops to feed people who need to eat. I haven't seen any compelling evidence they are unsafe, only rumours and fears. BUT - I still find Ben's food labeling hilarious. There are probably plenty of things to criticize about the Duggar pantry besides GMO's! At least Jana has her garden now so that's some progress.

I also had to laugh pretty hard at the newlywed game question about nicknames for your spouse, and Jeremy wrote "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABE!!!!"

:pb_lol:

39 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:
I dunno, most adults have adult things to do other than this..... jobs, you know, that sort of thing.  I am amazed he can find time between whatever he does for money and changing all those diapers when he is at home to lurk in the pantry.

Hey, it's the Duggar compound and someone is leaving written dissent throughout the pantry.  The protest now comes from within.  Also, writing notes like that is passive aggressive AF and that makes me laugh. A lot.

Have we ever discovered Ben's occupation? I know Jessa's mentioned that he works, but has she gone into specifics? Is he learning the real estate business with JB? If so, that would leave him with lots of time for pantry lurking.

At least Ben shows evidence of thought and that is more than I previously thought him capable; so there's that.

I thought Ben's sharpie art of the bells and him as an artist were fairly decent, especially compared to Jeremy's (though I'm sure Jeremy was going for a joke with his stick figure).

I got the impression JB couldn't remember how many sons-in-law he has or couldn't do the math that quickly. "We have 10 sons and....uhhhh, a bunch of other sons." (Psssst, JB, you have four sons-in-law, for a total of 14 "sons")

37 minutes ago, Kayleigh83 said:

I also had to laugh pretty hard at the newlywed game question about nicknames for your spouse, and Jeremy wrote "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABE!!!!"

:pb_lol:

I had to laugh, too! Although I was a little surprised at the lack of creativity - they all use a nickname they heard Jill use for Derrick. Ugh. After 18 years of marriage, many of my nicknames for my husband are not fit for posting. :my_heart: I can only hope that in 20 years or so, if these young' uns are still speaking to each other, they will have come up with something else! 

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

Oh my word. I was thinking that this Daphne person was Dr. PHIL'S daughter this whole time! I got him and Dr. Oz confused. Lordy. Not sure which is worse.

For some reason I saw "Dr. Oz" and thought of Dr. Drew. They're all pretty bad. :pb_lol:

12 minutes ago, InTheNameofRufus said:

I had to laugh, too! Although I was a little surprised at the lack of creativity - they all use a nickname they heard Jill use for Derrick. Ugh. After 18 years of marriage, many of my nicknames for my husband are not fit for posting. :my_heart: I can only hope that in 20 years or so, if these young' uns are still speaking to each other, they will have come up with something else! 

I did hear several jokes about not saying what they REALLY call each other! Especially from Jinger. LOL come on Duggars, get real with us!!

I had a dream last night that I was going to get married to John-David. Yes, people, an (almost) lesbian who lives in Europe has a dream of being in a relationship and getting married to JD Duggar. And: he was the coolest guy ever. We were talking the hard questions. I asked him what he thinks about women working and homosexuality and he was cool with everything. His family thought I was suspicious because I am a few years older than him, come from Europe, with several Master's degrees, but it didn't bother him at all. It seemed that he was happy to have found someone who is different from his usual social circle.

Just wanted to put it out there. Maybe the right girl for JD is absolutely not part of their social circle. He does seeem a little more passive regarding approaching women or women in general. He needs someone from "outside".

6 hours ago, itqitc said:

There is something very endearing about Ben, I don't know why but I can't help but like him.  He seems to recognize all that Jessa does and doesn't care if he is bossed around. he is in over his head, but its clear he loves her. 

I can't with the Babe Lovely thing.  Can we not have a different nickname for our spouses?  Why do you need to call each other the same thing?  For the record I call my hubby "honey" and he calls me "boo"

I call Mr MIO weasel or Norman (not his name) interchangeably.

There's an exchange in the stage show version of Wind in the Willows between the head weasel and his comedic sidekick, Norman:
CW: Are you a happy weasel Norman?
N: (Nodding emphatically) Yes, boss.
CW: Do you wish to remain a happy weasel Norman?
N: (Nodding emphatically) Yes, boss.
CW: Then shut yer gob.

I should point out that's no way our dynamic - we would be much more the first four lines without the fifth. It kind of developed out of this silly insecurity early on in our relationship, where I was constantly checking he was okay, not bored with me, etc etc (A good five years after getting rid of the fundy ex husband - put that in your pipe folks who say a fundy marriage stops being damaging after you leave it). Over the years we worked on that, but then we got to a place where any genuine, Are you happy?/Do you need anything? enquiry was being checked - at least in our minds if not verbally, so we picked up on the first two lines of that quote as our shorthand for 'I'd genuinely like to know if you're okay/have everything you need/etc' and then lines three and four to represent '...and are you free just now, or will I catch you in a little bit?' (which is essential to know sometimes with two of us in the same profession, each working odd hours, mostly from home).

6 hours ago, SayWhat said:

...He also such a weirdo, stating something about I am not going to stop what he Lord is doing, when Joe asks to court Kendra.  Who says that ?  ...Joe & Kendra seem too young, to be engaged, however,  seems to me they are well matched.

I picked up on that too. I go forward and back between is that some kind of fundie speak for 'I rather not, but if you're gonna, then I want to control', or whether it's a 'yes in principal, but you guys seem young'. ...or perhaps both?

4 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

I thought Ben's sharpie art of the bells and him as an artist were fairly decent, especially compared to Jeremy's (though I'm sure Jeremy was going for a joke with his stick figure).

I got the impression JB couldn't remember how many sons-in-law he has or couldn't do the math that quickly. "We have 10 sons and....uhhhh, a bunch of other sons." (Psssst, JB, you have four sons-in-law, for a total of 14 "sons")

Yeah. Great proponent for the 'Leave and cleave' thing. Oh, wait...

3 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I had a dream last night that I was going to get married to John-David. Yes, people, an (almost) lesbian who lives in Europe has a dream of being in a relationship and getting married to JD Duggar. And: he was the coolest guy ever. We were talking the hard questions. I asked him what he thinks about women working and homosexuality and he was cool with everything. His family thought I was suspicious because I am a few years older than him, come from Europe, with several Master's degrees, but it didn't bother him at all. It seemed that he was happy to have found someone who is different from his usual social circle.

Just wanted to put it out there. Maybe the right girl for JD is absolutely not part of their social circle. He does seeem a little more passive regarding approaching women or women in general. He needs someone from "outside".

Just checking, you have woken up and snapped out of the dream haven't you? ...or should we have an intervention/exorcism/something?

5 hours ago, Kayleigh83 said:

This! I get so frustrated with this whole GMO thing.... scientific consensus holds that they are safe - and they are so important in developing parts of the world where they are able to use GMO's to create hardier and healthier crops to feed people who need to eat. I haven't seen any compelling evidence they are unsafe, only rumours and fears.

Also, we've been modifying food and other plants for CENTURIES. Most fruits we eat now are far sweeter and larger than they'd be if we just left them alone (bananas come to mind). Wheat, corn, leafy greens, flowers, other grains...we've been mucking around with their genetics since we figured out how plants fuck. GMOs are basically what we've been doing since we decided that saving some plants to eat for later was a good idea, but a little faster and with more science.

Pastor Caldwell reminds me of the aliens on the show, "People of Earth." He isn't hot to me because there is something ugly inside of him where a soul is supposed to be. I think it's called, "hate and fear." 

I think his statement, "I won't stop what the Lord is doing with you two," meant, "I support God's decisions," or "I respect you for asking me, and as I believe this is a Godly Union and Gods plan, I would like this relationship to move forward." I think it was meant to be a compliment, acknowledging that he felt God was bringing them together. 

I don't mind Ben, sometimes he goes on a bit. However, i do think that he is trying to grow and change. I don't know exactly what he does for work but I imagine he is past the time of cleaning toilets for JB. We all know that was for the show anyway. Hopefully, he does leave!

ETA: By leave, I mean Gtfo out of Duggarville but take Jessa and the kids with him.

11 hours ago, nst said:

Jessa can't let go of her purity it seems - we know you have sex on a honeymoon it's ok 

drop the act 

Oh Lord what did godly Blessa say????

1 minute ago, SuhrEnity said:

Oh Lord what did godly Blessa say????

she acted like she didn't want to mention sex but the others around all her mentioned it. Even Ben mentioned it.  She must either want  to / seem to follow the gothard brand of being submssive and pretending not to enjoy it all the while Michelle always acted like she did.  
As for Ben - he has evolved and changed at least on screen for the better.  

4 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I think his statement, "I won't stop what the Lord is doing with you two," meant, "I support God's decisions," or "I respect you for asking me, and as I believe this is a Godly Union and Gods plan, I would like this relationship to move forward." I think it was meant to be a compliment, acknowledging that he felt God was bringing them together. 

Do fundies think that they CAN stop anything that god is doing?  Isnt that like standing in front of a moving train and trying to make it stop on a dime?

The one thing that freaked me out a little on last night's episode was hearing Joy and Austin talk about each other's sleeping habits. I just still cannot believe that Joy is married and doing all of the things that come along with that. 

Their behind-the-scenes PDA also made me feel a little weird, but I just don't really like PDA in general. I will admit they're cute together, though.

On that note, I found this set of pictures on some random fan Instagram. I love the first picture. :pb_lol: The last picture is cute too, in all seriousness.

I haven't watched the episode but seems Ben has issues with GMOs?

Of all his beliefs, this is one I'm going to give him a pass about. It may be ignorant but I know plenty of similar minded people who have weird beliefs about diet.

I think people forget that most people Ben's age are in college and going through exploration of ideas/beliefs about life. Most people's belief system is not the same as during their college years. I think Ben is showing signs of independent thought (wow...never thought I'd be saying that 2 years ago) and potentially has the opportunity to question no differentiate his beliefs from his parents now that he's no longer under their authority or control. I'm not holding my breath for any radical changes in his religious beliefs, but I see him as having more potential than the other husbands for more compassiobate evolution of his religious system. 

32 minutes ago, nst said:

she acted like she didn't want to mention sex but the others around all her mentioned it. Even Ben mentioned it.  She must either want  to / seem to follow the gothard brand of being submssive and pretending not to enjoy it all the while Michelle always acted like she did.  
As for Ben - he has evolved and changed at least on screen for the better.  

Now I'm definitely going to have to watch this episode. I wonder if this is because of the rumors about her not being able to wait to leave the church to have sex. Which I now feel really guilty about believing. I hope that hasn't messed with her head and contributed to even more shame about sex. 

What struck me as odd is that they think Jill and Derick are the most PDA in public.    I think that goes to Jeremy and JInger with their provoking instagram shots.  Unless they mean Jill and Derick in their public view opposed to our public view.... It seems Austin can't handle Joy's aggressiveness that much. 

Lots of people aren't overly keen to discuss their sex lives on TV. I don't think her reticence is weird or requires any explanation.

Maybe she's just private. 

I've thought for a while that Ben is the likeliest to display some ability to think critically. Which is weird because he often seems like a goober. 

16 minutes ago, nst said:

What struck me as odd is that they think Jill and Derick are the most PDA in public.    I think that goes to Jeremy and JInger with their provoking instagram shots.

Nah, definitely goes to Jill and Derick with all the dip kissing interrupting weddings. They seem pretty attached at the hip. Jeremy and Jinger are more subtle about it, whatever works ad to each their own. 

• Curious locked this topic

Archived