IGNORED

Counting on Season Four, Part 6

samurai_sarah

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I have a lot of issues too. What brands are working for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Currently I'm mostly in Adidas.  That probably doesn't help.  I'm retired so I can wear what I want.  Most/all of the supposedly orthopedic type dress shoes still hurt my feet. 

16 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Fundie Quidditch

May Rufus profoundly bless you, you brilliant darling. :pb_lol: I guess regular Quidditch is too defrauding because you have to run around with a broom between your legs. And mixed gender tackling. And trying to catch the snitch often involves butt touching.

@fluffernutter @Coconut Flan I don't bother with orthodic shoes since my doctor told me not to. Super flat feet over here. I have one pair of shoe inserts for my sneakers, and a smaller pair to wear for my work flats. Speaking of, I need to get new ones. Mine are old and stretched out and I keep walking out of them (much to the amusement of one of my coworkers) and I think I strained a muscle in my foot.

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Currently I'm mostly in Adidas.  That probably doesn't help.  I'm retired so I can wear what I want.  Most/all of the supposedly orthopedic type dress shoes still hurt my feet. 

I have super high arches (like enough that I was able to get prescription insoles) and the most comfortable sports type shoes I've found are the 'walking' type of New Balance.

Thankfully I haven't had a job where I need to wear dress shoes for years. When I did, I just wore my regular shoes to work and switched to some cheapass Payless dress shoes to wear at my desk. I only walked for a few minutes over the course of a 10 hour shift, so it wasn't an issue.

5 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

They also have a basketball court at their back yard. Think of all the energy the howlers could have spent participating in sports outside home instead of destroying TTH piece by piece. Out of the girls at least Joy and Hannie would have probably loved sports, too.

I've personally decided that sport would be soccer.

And at some point Jessa would have been a cheer leader

Jinger would have followed Jessa until she found a position as photographer on the yearbook staff. In an ideal world she would travel the world & be a photographer, imho

Jana would be the next Martha Stewart & blow everyone away with some type of Snoop Dogg friendship

And Josiah is the next Chris Chrisley.

And to top it off in my imaginary world, they'd exile Josh. Not Anna & the kids, but Josh.

I have too much time on my hands. :text-lol:

On 7/27/2017 at 11:07 AM, Rachel333 said:

Right, but that's very different from the claim that inserting genes to make the plants more resistant is the same as putting Round-Up into the plant itself.

May I ask what gene they are inserting and what they are taking out to achieve that?  Or are they increasing the number of genes?

I would honestly like an answer to this if someone knows.

14 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

May I ask what gene they are inserting and what they are taking out to achieve that?  Or are they increasing the number of genes?

I would honestly like an answer to this if someone knows.

I believe the most common insect-resistant gene is a gene from the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis and for herbicide-tolerant crops they use genes from Streptomyces spThey use something like Agrobacterium to insert the genes. I don't think they're taking genes out in most cases.

19 hours ago, Dubiousclaire said:

Jinger and Joy still come across as clingy girlfriends...hogging up the bed and pushing the guy to the edge...compensating for the lack of physical contact before marriage, and their stunted emotional and social development. It was heartening that the guys all seemed like they were trying to boost up the girls self confidence. 

Sorry but I hardly think bed/cover hogging is grounds for clingy girlfriend. I've been married for almost 21 years and have been living with sleeping with my husband for 21 years and I'm still a cover hog and occasional bed hog. My husband will occasionally hog the bed as well, it's life with 2 people in a queen size bed. I'm giving Joy & Jinger at least a year of marriage before I go with them being clingy wives.  You have to remember they both went from a home with 20+ people living in it to a house with 2 people in Jinger's case she's 12 hours from home and Joy is about an hour.  When that was filmed Joy had been married less than a month she' been allowed to hug and kiss her husband for less than a month she gets a pass for now. 

The girls NEED their self confidence boosted, they've all been treated as house slaves their whole lives, Joy was raised by her damn sister. the original lost girl, lost in a sea of 8 bothers, too young for the big girls to old for the little girls. I think Jinger was reprimanded a lot for being "different" Jana was as well for not just obeying, but Jessa & Jill while obedient were really relied on to raise siblings,  Jill was giving the job of the 1st sister mom in raising Joy.  They weren't encouraged to be individuals or praised for being anything other than a good proper woman. They need to be praised for being themselves, 

9 hours ago, fluffernutter said:
21 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I can't either.  I have foot issues and one thing I've learned is that just because a shoe line carries orthopedic or special footware, it doesn't mean it will work for my feet.  I am severely  (thanks Jill Rodrigues) limited in which brands will work.  I'm up to two brand from one. 

I have a lot of issues too. What brands are working for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Dansko all the way here.  And they are too cute!

13 minutes ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Dansko all the way here.  And they are too cute!

I kept spraining my ankles in Danskos (flexible joints FTW), so I switched to Algeria.  I love them! I have 2 pairs of Mary Janes and 2 pairs of boots now.  I wore one pair out in grad school because I basically wore them every day.  Super comfortable when you are on your feet in the lab all day.

I have on this Counting On part two thing, ffing through Joe's super awkward asking the dad permission scene, but whenever the cameras pan over either Jeremy or Jinger, they both look bored, checked out, slightly irritated in turn.

Aside from odd and terribly misguided teachings, I think their life must be very different than the others.

I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned how mortified/annoyed Jessa looked when Ben brought up her weight during the game. While I think she looks great, I certainly wouldn't want to be discussing my body insecurity on television. I'm sure Ben was well meaning, but I bet he got an earful afterwards for that.

If hogging the bed and covers is a sign of being clingy I'm in trouble. I'm barely five feet tall and can push my six foot one husband to the edge of the bed and take all three covers. It doesn't mean that I'm clingy it just means that I tend to move at night. 

8 hours ago, nomoxian said:

I have super high arches (like enough that I was able to get prescription insoles) and the most comfortable sports type shoes I've found are the 'walking' type of New Balance.

Same, no pain, but I love the sketchers memory foam shoes (so so comfy) and use five finger (toe shoes) for weight lifting. I've got the finger toes that are absurdly long, which makes finding cute peep toes or heels without toe cleavage for work a difficult task. Though the cobbler loves me, I just keep getting the ones that fit re-soled, he thinks it's forward thinking for a whippersnapper. 

On 7/26/2017 at 10:00 AM, shiverful said:

I do agree that it definitely comes off this way on tv, but at the same time I think it's hard to judge what comes off the screen in regards to those two. Jessa's father day-post to Ben seemed really sincere, and she does seem pretty happy with her life in general, both as a wife and mother. 

I think that both of them are a bit awkward on screen because they're insecure and uncomfortable on screen. Especially Ben seems to "lose his words" - although I believe him to be as smart as any of the other Duggars with spouses, he has a tendency to repeat the words or points of others, or just comment something in a way that just seem over the top and unnecessary. Jessa has a "bitch face", and tend to come off as critical or impatient.

I know that I can come off this way when I'm with people I don't know very well, or feel uncomfortable around. Things I say to be funny can come off as far more harsh, and I tend to say things I'll end up regretting. 

Ben does seem uncomfortable. Jessa never has. She's come off as insincere or or trying to appear a certain way but not as nervous around a camera, I think. 

Also, social media posts are no indicator of happiness. People use social media to create a picture of who they want people to think they are. A small example among hundreds- I know a mom who does nothing but scream at and berate her little boy and leaves him with others a lot. She seems to dislike him quite a bit. But her Facebook posts fairly gush about how he is the love of her love and means so much to her. 

Those posts are meant for her social media contacts. Her kid certainly has no idea his mom loves him. Probable because she really doesn't.  

On 7/27/2017 at 0:52 PM, Markie said:

What I'd like to see:

Show what Jinger does with her time. Does she volunteer, teach Sunday School, study online? 

Will Joy be joining Austin at work? Does she volunteer? I really doubt she will take another course, but I've been wrong before...

Anna must be homeschooling by now. Show how it's going. Does she use the same programs and resources as Michelle and Jessa did? Does she work with the emerging readers and their guests focus on overseeing the online education for the kids from Jenny and up? 

Show Jana's care and harvesting from her garden. Does she can or freeze the veggies? 

What exactly do the Duggar boys do for employment. John, Joseph, Josiah, Jeremiah, Jedediah and maybe Jason are finished Duggar High. Whatever happened to College Minus? Did Joe fail, quit or was pulled out of classes from Crown College? Are any more fundie colleges on the horizon for the howlers? 

What does Ben do? Are there enough churches for all these "ministry minded" fellows? 

Jordyn loved Jessa. Could we have a day where she is visiting Jess and Ben? It might be contrived, but I like having some focus on that little girl. 

Please no more:

Derek barfing

Duggar girls doing fake shopping at 2nd hand stores.

Wedding planning, gender reveals, dentist or doctor visits, talking heads with the vacant wife staring at her dopey headship.

I get the sense they may dictate what they will allow to be filmed. And they want that tightly controlled maybe? 

13 hours ago, FundiePrincess said:

I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned how mortified/annoyed Jessa looked when Ben brought up her weight during the game. While I think she looks great, I certainly wouldn't want to be discussing my body insecurity on television. I'm sure Ben was well meaning, but I bet he got an earful afterwards for that.

Didn't he even say something to the effect that they could both lose some, or get in better shape and maybe they could exercise together??? I'm sure that phrase didn't do her any good at all.

She said she has 7 lbs to go to get to her preferred weight, after the hostess asked her about his answer, that she worries about her weight. He started to reiterate that she looks fine to him, but then tried real hard to be diplomatic and say he could be in better shape, and it might be good if they worked out together.

Has the show mentioned Jana's "tattoo parlor" or Joy interning for a congressman? I think everything you guys mentioned would be shown on "19 Kids" . 

Why are the Duggars hiding this information. We didn't even find out about this stuff from the Duggars. Most of this comes from other people's social media or our own detective work.

1 hour ago, JoyJoy said:

Has the show mentioned Jana's "tattoo parlor" or Joy interning for a congressman? I think everything you guys mentioned would be shown on "19 Kids" . 

Jana's tattoo parlour has been mentioned, they haven't said what she will do with it yet. They mentioned it at the end of last season. As for Joy's "internship" what people here figured out was that it was likely shadowing for a day. I also don't know how much of that day could be shown. 

21 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I believe the most common insect-resistant gene is a gene from the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis and for herbicide-tolerant crops they use genes from Streptomyces spThey use something like Agrobacterium to insert the genes. I don't think they're taking genes out in most cases.

So this pretty much means we are eating something that never structually used to exist.  I never thought margarine was a good idea (turns out it's plastic).  I don't like this idea either.  

And for "herbicide tolerant" they are still spraying toxic substances so that doesn't thrill me either.  

1 hour ago, backyard sylph said:

She said she has 7 lbs to go to get to her preferred weight, after the hostess asked her about his answer, that she worries about her weight. He started to reiterate that she looks fine to him, but then tried real hard to be diplomatic and say he could be in better shape, and it might be good if they worked out together.

Ugh. I haven't seen the most recent episode, but seriously? The woman has had two babies very close together, and odds are she'll be pregnant with another soon. I understand the desire to stay healthy and active, but losing the baby weight between every pregnancy seems like a high order (especially considering how quickly she seems to get pregnant).

1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

So this pretty much means we are eating something that never structually used to exist.  I never thought margarine was a good idea (turns out it's plastic).  I don't like this idea either. 

That's fine, you don't have to like it, and you're certainly not alone being uncomfortable with that idea, but to be clear, there's no scientific reason to support the idea that new things are bad.

On 28. juli 2017 at 4:54 AM, Dubiousclaire said:

Jinger and Joy still come across as clingy girlfriends...hogging up the bed and pushing the guy to the edge...compensating for the lack of physical contact before marriage, and their stunted emotional and social development. It was heartening that the guys all seemed like they were trying to boost up the girls self confidence. 

I grew up in a Christian cult (my mom and dad escaped while I was in secondary school) and Jinger's clinginess towards Jeremy reminds me of my mom. 

While I was mostly too young to care when we escaped, my mom had a really hard time to adjust to the freedom. While my dad came in later and had a lot of "real life experience", she had grown up in the cult and never had a real job (it took her many years in therapy and work training before she was ready to function in a normal job). 

I never noticed it, but after reaching adulthood, she told me that she used to cry every time dad went to work and I left for school. She wasn't used to be alone and "unaccounted for" and had a lot of anxiety and guilt, even though she was more than happy to leave. 

Although Jinger hasn't officially escaped or anything, I would presume that it would be hard for her to be so much alone. She grew up in a group where  the group means everything and individuality means nothing. 

2 hours ago, Greendoor said:

And for "herbicide tolerant" they are still spraying toxic substances so that doesn't thrill me either.  

Have you seen the documentaries, "Dirt!" or "Seed"? I also enjoyed Urban Fruit. 

• Curious locked this topic

Archived