IGNORED

Maxwell 11: Anna Marie Has Conceived - Again

Coconut Flan

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"we have downsized to a mini van..." Poor Sarah. She's in her 30's. I half expect to look in that mini van and see booster seats for all the kidults still at home. Are there plenty of cup holders for the kiddos' sippy cups? Is this what the Maxwells and their ilk envisioned years ago when super sheltering their kids sounded so good?

It's really sad. I don't think people have to be married and have kids to be happy, and there are probably some very happy 30 year old living in multi-generational housing. But this... They deserve the option to move out. What if all the "girls" lived in their own apartment together while they worked at "approved" careers, like child care, ministry, maybe even teaching at a small Christian elementary school. They would have at least a semblance of autonomy, even if they were still biding their time for Mr. Right. It's very sad. I would be depressed AF to be 30something trapped in my parents' house and waiting for my dad to pick me out a husband. Especially since it doesn't even seem like Steve is trying to help his daughters find partners.

Griselda Teri's birthday post is up so I am writing a response to it.   Teri today is the day you celebrate being another year closer to death.  You are spending it in CO where you go every year for the last 20 some years.  You write shitty books that do nothing for homeschooling parents and were lazy regarding your kids education.  Let me describe your personality-hypocritical, judgemental, lazy, bitter, depressed, and self righteous.  Happy Birthday and Fuck you very much.

14 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Griselda Teri's birthday post is up so I am writing a response to it.   Teri today is the day you celebrate being another year closer to death.  You are spending it in CO where you go every year for the last 20 some years.  You write shitty books that do nothing for homeschooling parents and were lazy regarding your kids education.  Let me describe your personality-hypocritical, judgemental, lazy, bitter, depressed, and self righteous.  Happy Birthday and Fuck you very much.

Let me also add married to an ass hole who insisted you have more kids even though you were clearly stressed with the 3 you already had. 

On 8/16/2017 at 3:35 AM, Bethella said:

So the Maxwells are dead and their ghosts are stuck in this cycle of repeating the same things they did on their last day on earth (reading the bible, praying, cleaning and eating meatless bean burritos.

I'd call that a time loop.  As on the Starship Enterprise.  But the Enterprise usually blows up in the end.  The Maxwells keep on repeating.

On 8/16/2017 at 7:57 AM, nomoxian said:

Was it this trip? 

That one was better than a crossword puzzle! :D

Didn't we decide in the end that he went somewhere on the Indian subcontinent, perhaps Bangladesh.  The Maxwells never told us if we were right.

47 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Let me describe your personality-hypocritical, judgemental, lazy, bitter, depressed, and self righteous.

ALl of the above especially depressed but I'll add to Teri's character + personality description with:  despondent, disorganized, distant, and down-trodden.  

2 hours ago, Corntree said:

Does anybody know how old Teri is? I believe she's younger than Steve, who just turned 66.

She is 2 months younger than me.  She just turned 62.

Oof. If 'practical' and 'down to earth' are the best adjectives my family can come up with to describe me... And on my birthday?? 🤦‍♀️

Does anyone remember that time the Maxwells went on vacation to Colorado? The one where they hiked a 14er? Asking because I can't remember which vacation that was.

On 8/16/2017 at 3:50 PM, Coconutwater said:

What a riveting post...luggage and a photo getting gas...

Well at least Anna isn't in plaid. 

23 minutes ago, 16strong said:

Does anyone remember that time the Maxwells went on vacation to Colorado? The one where they hiked a 14er? Asking because I can't remember which vacation that was.

It was between their holidays in Hawaii and the trip to Paris.

Downsizing to a mini van. Yeah - those adult daughters aren't going ANYWHERE! A mini van says "We are planning to have at least three children with us FOREVER!"

As for cup holders, we finally downsized FROM a mini van a year ago and we'd been empty nesters for four years.  The van was twelve years old but was paid off and still ran well so we kept it for quite a while. Anyway, it was a Toyota Sienna and it seated eight. It had THIRTEEN cupholders!! Plenty for Teri's numerous Pepsi cups while they travel. It was the perfect carpool van and carried so many memories of our kids and their friends. I think that is another reason we held on to it for so long. 

It is kind of sad that Sarah has no idea how infantile she makes herself and her sisters look when she writes some of the things we see on that blog. 

I have a friend who's mother still has a mini van. Her kids are 37 (my friends age) and 35. She does take her grandkids places. But I find it weird that she still has one. 

We have a family friend and the husband was the go to parent for drop off and pick up (school, bar/bat mitzvah, and anything else) they didn't have a van but he managed to do it. 

18 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I have a friend who's mother still has a mini van. Her kids are 37 (my friends age) and 35. She does take her grandkids places. But I find it weird that she still has one. 

We have a family friend and the husband was the go to parent for drop off and pick up (school, bar/bat mitzvah, and anything else) they didn't have a van but he managed to do it. 

My sister is 37 and I'm 35! But my mother has an SUV for hauling her junk. She loves buying junk furniture, fixing it up, and selling it. A minivan with a seat that folds down would work for her as well. I often wish we had a minivan for our family since they are so handy. We have a station wagon. I have minivan envy :-/

My aunt and and uncle still drive a mini van - first to cart their grandkids around, then for other reasons once the grandkids grew up. My aunt  loves to dumpster dive and create AMAZING new treasures. She also paints murals so needs the van to transport all of her work supplies. I do know other retired couples who drive them for various reasons but none of them keep them because they need it to haul their four adult children around every time they leave home together. 

My in-laws drove a mini van until a week ago. My mother-in-law, becoming weaker from her cancer and in such pain, finds it easier to get into a lower car than climbing up into a van. So, my father-in-law bought a new car. 

New post up.  Same old shit different year.  Griselda Teri had a very short birthday recap and she didn't get serenaded by her grandkids.

40 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

New post up.  Same old shit different year.  Griselda Teri had a very short birthday recap and she didn't get serenaded by her grandkids.

Very uneventful indeed...right on Sarah. 

4 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Downsizing to a mini van. Yeah - those adult daughters aren't going ANYWHERE! A mini van says "We are planning to have at least three children with us FOREVER!"

Yeah, that's definitely the implication of buying a minivan at this point. Considering how many people there are of driving age, you'd think it would be easier and more comfortable to just take multiple cars. 

On 8/16/2017 at 2:09 PM, bertnee said:

I don't think people have to be married and have kids to be happy, and there are probably some very happy 30 year old living in multi-generational housing. But this... They deserve the option to move out.

I'd imagine many people who choose to live with their parents in their late 20s+ have probably spent some time living on their own, maybe in college, or at least have independence in other ways with jobs or activities. A number of 20s/30s friends of mine live with their folks, but it's usually in a roommate-like situation. They're treated like the adult equals they are, they just happen to save money by renting from their parents. Like you said, it's the option to leave that's important. Same with the option to work, marry, have children, etc. 

I think Hot John is either in a courtship or has a job outside of the family that keeps him away from family activities. Either way, I'm glad John is getting out of some of the family activities. I just wish his female siblings could....

It just dawned on me:  Poor Sarah doesn't even have a car of her own.  No chance to just hop in her car and go to the drugstore for a lipstick and a bottle of nail polish, or to a local farm stand for interesting produce, or, heck, just cruise around the countryside alone with her thoughts or some good tunes. 

I know many of us here don't have cars because they have ready access to public  transportation, so I realize a car isn't a necessity for everyone. But I think I'd go batty if I lived in a small town like Leavenworth and had no transportation of my own.

Sarah isn't allowed out alone unless she's with her sisters. I think she walks Ellie alone, although even then a sister is probably roped in a lot.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived