IGNORED

Maxwell 11: Anna Marie Has Conceived - Again

Coconut Flan

Another child for the Maxwell borg has been placed on order.

Continued from here:

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About whether or not John would have been labeled with a learning disability in public school... So what if he had been? He might have gotten help from someone who was actually trained to deal with his particular issues, instead of being stuck and stunted at home.

I don't know it John would have been labeled. But I wonder if he had gone to a regular school (public or private) I'm sure the teachers would have tryed different methods to teach him. While Terri only had 1 way and never considered another way. 

9 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I don't know it John would have been labeled. But I wonder if he had gone to a regular school (public or private) I'm sure the teachers would have tryed different methods to teach him. While Terri only had 1 way and never considered another way. 

I don't think John would have been labeled, I think he just has a lot of energy and no way to express it. That's hard for a child not to be able to express themselves if his way was through activity. I do think had he been allowed to play sports he would have not been the "handful" he's made out to be. A lot of kids need extra curriculars to thrive academically due to extra energy and I'm not talking about ADD. He's known as the one who never meets a stranger and loves talking to people. Shame. 

I doubt Teri taught him anything much.  All she did was place a textbook order and organise his time into neat, 15 minute blocks and he was pretty much left to fend for himself in regards to his education.  Some ppl do really well with that sort of approach, but most ppl do not.

For all of their shtik about homeschooling offering more flexibility and opportunities to tailor to the needs of each individual child, that's one thing that the Maxwells were guaranteed not to do. Steve's desire for control and conformity and the needs of the schedule trumped individual needs every single time.

You can tell how little time Teri spent involved with educational stuff if you look at their old schedules,and the time she did spend was not necessarily spent effectively.  Those kids would have had more quality time (from an educational POV) in most public school classrooms, even ones where the teacher/student ratio was less than ideal.

Was he really a "handful" though?

In super-strict homes, normal kid behavior is often deemed to be inappropriate. Being a boy, he could get away with more - I got into a lot of trouble as a kid for not being 'ladylike' (and even more trouble after I continued those actions, on account of not wnting to be a 'lady' or even a 'girl') but the Maxwells consider most forms of play to be silly at best and a sin at worst. I could see him wanting to play Cops and Robbers or some other similar innocent game, and his parents making him out to be a criminal bound for the eternal prison of H-E-L-L-o!

In the Maxwell household being a "normal" child was not allowed. They were expected to be the perfect child at home or in public. 

2 hours ago, nomoxian said:

Granted, he might have been, but I also suspect that Teri's untreated depression, along with the Maxwell emphasis on raising perfect kids, earned John that title.

I clicked on the Maxwells today..i should have realised when all the family photos and Annas. ..I'm not calling her marie..her name is anna damn it Steve! ..anyway it's shouldn't have taken me to read the whole thing before I realised! ! Cue the aunties help and varicose veins..

My first reaction to this was literally NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

On the other hand, this was totally expected. Anna could churn out children forever.

Also, was that comment from Anna about her current condition (mentioning tiredness and nausea but saying that it was nothing to what other women go through in pregnancy) an attempt at empathising with readers or a bit of a back-handed complement? I could be reading into this way too much but how often do we get something that sounds nice from Maxhell?

Okay, how long until Sarah praises NR Anna for never complaining about her varicose veins... 3...2...1...

1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Okay, how long until Sarah praises NR Anna for never complaining about her varicose veins... 3...2...1...

At least no Maxwell has ever commiserated with NR Anna about hemorrhoids...

7 hours ago, uber frau said:

I doubt Teri taught him anything much.  All she did was place a textbook order and organise his time.......

.........Steve's desire for control and conformity and the needs of the schedule.........

You can tell how little time Teri spent involved with educational stuff if you look at their old schedules,and the time she did spend was not necessarily spent effectively........  

this reminds me of Teri's post about her first days of school after every summer break, and how it frustrated her that they never got enough done.  but her complaints made it pretty clear that she did zero prep work in the days leading up to the start of actual lessons.  you know, like actual teachers do (including competent homeschool teachers).  she and Steve came across as those clueless parents who think their kids' teachers clock out at mid-afternoon when classes end, have all the same days off that the students have, don't grade papers at home in the evenings, and basically have easy jobs (yeah, i've met people like this, and one assumed most teachers earn around 75k).  

2 hours ago, Granwych said:

At least no Maxwell has ever commiserated with NR Anna about hemorrhoids...

Don't give them any ideas!

Regarding talk in the last thread about Anna Marie's "guest post": to be perfectly fair, I don't know how blogs or blog authors "work" but it seems that there are automatic "Posted by" links that they post (am I making sense?  Technologically illiterate, sorry) and Anna Marie simply doesn't have one.  So at the top it says "Posted by Sarah" but Sarah tells us that actually this isn't her, it's a guest post by Anna Marie who is using her blog account.

And I'm sure it was just a typo, but can the title be changed please? The "Ann Marie" keeps catching my eye because it's incorrect.

@Coconut Flan, there is a typo in the title.  It is Anna Marie, or more correctly NR (not reversal) Anna who is preggers. ;)

10 hours ago, nomoxian said:

In super-strict homes, normal kid behavior is often deemed to be inappropriate. 

From her description he sounds like a normal kid who was bored with his school work.  His "sins" were wanting drinks of water, bathroom breaks, and not finishing his work according to the schedule.  As a result, they put him in what some would call detention.

They did wonder whether this was lack of ability, but they didn't sit down with him to figure out where he was having problems.  They found out he could finish the work on time with the threat of depriving him of pizza.

There must be a lot of food issues in that family.  

10 hours ago, uber frau said:

You can tell how little time Teri spent involved with educational stuff if you look at their old schedules,and the time she did spend was not necessarily spent effectively.  Those kids would have had more quality time (from an educational POV) in most public school classrooms, even ones where the teacher/student ratio was less than ideal.

One of the things dear Teri stressed in her conference talk at Inspire! was that the older children taught the younger ones so she was free to do whatever.  That is OK, up to a point.  She made sure their little behinds were glued to the chairs and graded the work.  

Honestly her idea of "teaching" seemed to be picking out the workbooks or texts, plonking them down in front of them,  and then expecting the children to be motivated.  

John wasn't.  Therefore his character was flawed.

6 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

Snip

I could be reading into this way too much but how often do we get something that sounds nice from Maxhell?

It's not often because it's rare for NR Anna to post.  I'd dare say she's the least judgmental/ dramatic in that whole lot.

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

From her description he sounds like a normal kid who was bored with his school work.  His "sins" were wanting drinks of water, bathroom breaks, and not finishing his work according to the schedule.  As a result, they put him in what some would call detention.

(snip)

John wasn't.  Therefore his character was flawed.

I have no doubt that all the kids are intelligent and John sounds like me, bored easily and after getting a subject wanting to move on or go play. I went to public school and when the teachers saw I was finished with my work or bored they gave me something fun and educational to do or sent me to the library to read while the class finished whatever it was. John would have been the same way I'm sure. 

14 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

I have no doubt that all the kids are intelligent and John sounds like me, bored easily and after getting a subject wanting to move on or go play.

Exactly.  Going by Teri's own description John knew how to do the work, he just didn't want to do it.  Could it possibly be that he was ahead of Teri's (probably written in stone) lesson plans and wanted something more intellectually challenging.  Or perhaps he simply needed to get the ants out of his pants with physical exercise more than the other children.  The Maxwells seem to have such blinkered vision.  

It seems they expected to train up 7 perfect little robots but found a little android had somehow sneaked into the family!

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@Coconut Flan, there is a typo in the title.  It is Anna Marie, or more correctly NR (not reversal) Anna who is preggers. ;)

Sorry about the Anna, but no I put the Marie in purposefully because of my borg reference.  

8 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Sorry about the Anna, but no I put the Marie in purposefully because of my borg reference.  

Damn.  The Borg reference flew right over my head.  I can't have had enough coffee.  Sorry!

2 hours ago, LadyPriss said:

It's not often because it's rare for NR Anna to post.  I'd dare say she's the least judgmental/ dramatic in that whole lot.

I think NR Anna is just being matter of fact.  She seems to be in a good place:  stable marriage, approval from her almighty FIL, producing #5 (as opposed to all of the untouched daughters of Steve, who are collectively producing #0), helpmeet extraordinaire, blessed with relatively easy pregnancies and deliveries, doesn't have to dress up as Lolly, and has help available with a phone call.  Within the domain of that family, I believe she totally has her act together.

It' OK.  I was sitting here going oh I didn't think I was THAT subtle, but maybe it wasn't clear.  It could have only been funny to me.

I have a feeling Stud John saw through Griselda Teri and Coward Steve's bullshit early on and as a result he rebelled and is sort of on his own career wise...real estate agent and irrigation business provided its still viable. He might have an IQ if 180 but we will never know thanks to the SOTDRT.  Or maybe he isn't a real estate agent anymore.  https://www.zillow.com/profile/KansasHomeForYou/

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived