On 10/01/2018 at 5:21 PM, VelociRapture said:

The post for anyone curious:

From the glorious Savior Barbie account

Yes, life is a bumpy road...

Screenshot_2018-02-04-16-26-29~2.png

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not sure what to think about their theme. If you hadn’t pointed out the oxygen tank I really wouldn’t have noticed it, but I haven’t had anyone close to me have any disease that necessitated (sp?) an oxygen tank. Howevere, I do understand how upsetting that could be and having one with me for a masquerade would never happen - some things you don’t use for masquerades, no matter if there was some real thought behind it. On the other hand, I think the theme is actually quite creative and would love to use that theme, or some variation of it, myself if I’ll ever have a masquerade. So many possibilities for outfits! :my_biggrin:

But then, this theme excludes most of their family: none of the children or single adults can participate, and I imagine it must sting some for Nathan because if his courtship had gone as expected, he would’ve had someone to ”grow old together” with. It’s not as bad as last year though when Kelly explicitly told him he couldn’t join the couples’ dinner she and Gil were having since he didn’t have a gal (and IIRC that wasn’t very long after he and Ashley broke up). :my_dodgy: 

The oxygen tank is kind of rude. My grandmother spent the last 12 years of her life on an oxygen tank, it was not funny in the least bit. She felt trapped by it. It's funny when you're young and pretty like these two, are they really going to love each other when they are that old? Because young and pretty doesn't last forever. 

I don't think they excluded any of the non-coupled up siblings. In Erin's third picture, you can clearly see one of the younger girls (Addaallee?) dressed up. Maybe Lawson was just too cool for school.

Sorry,I don't like the oxygen tank or the walker.My father had COPD,too.It's heartbreaking watching someone struggle to do something,like breathe.

I find the oxygen tank maybe marginally better than dressing up in blackface.

Spend a day working on a COPD ward, see how hilarious that is.

(Btw that looks like a real oxygen tank. Those are usually prescription only, where did they get it?)

39 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I don't think they excluded any of the non-coupled up siblings. In Erin's third picture, you can clearly see one of the younger girls (Addaallee?) dressed up. Maybe Lawson was just too cool for school.

I thought that was Josie in the foreground of Erin’s third picture. It’s hard to tell, so I guess it could be Addallee, but to me it looks like Josie. And it would fit the idea that it might only be the couples dressed up, because Josie is now courting officially and could participate.

50 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

The oxygen tank is kind of rude. My grandmother spent the last 12 years of her life on an oxygen tank, it was not funny in the least bit. She felt trapped by it. It's funny when you're young and pretty like these two, are they really going to love each other when they are that old? Because young and pretty doesn't last forever. 

Beauty fades; dumb is forever. 

When i first saw that photo on instagram, the last comment was from someone who lost a family member to COPD. Said something along the lines "I pray you never see somebody suffering like that".

Can't find the comment now, I think it got deleted :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: How very christian of you.

3 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

When i first saw that photo on instagram, the last comment was from someone who lost a family member to COPD. Said something along the lines "I pray you never see somebody suffering like that".

Can't find the comment now, I think it got deleted :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: How very christian of you.

I just scrolled through the comments on the post, and was amazed that there wasn't one negative comment...just tons of praise (of course).  
I'm guessing they are deleting anything negative (even if well thought out and polite).  
Carlin's got nothing on Lori Alexander and her delete button.  :pb_rollseyes:  

4 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

I find the oxygen tank maybe marginally better than dressing up in blackface.

Spend a day working on a COPD ward, see how hilarious that is.

(Btw that looks like a real oxygen tank. Those are usually prescription only, where did they get it?)

Can’t quite remember who, possibly Evan himself, but doesn’t one of the boys work at a medical centre - I remember photos of a desk decorated for his 21st birthday. It may be an empty tank from there. The growing old together theme is quite cute if it wasn’t for a family celebration where lots of the people don’t have someone to grow old with in that sense.

If he truly works at a medical office, he's an insensitive asshole 'cause he must have seen people suffering, though i remember something like that about his job too.

Don't know about the US but where I'm from oxygen tanks are strictly regulated and handled like any other prescription medicine. Here just taking that from the office wouldn't be legal.

And they have to be properly secured while being transported in a car. There are good reasons for that, oxygen isn't harmless

A picture of the damage of an oxygen tank that exploded

O2 fire.jpg

On 1/27/2018 at 7:08 PM, Hisey said:

It's cute that you think that Carlin posts to instagram the way you do. She doesn't. Carlin is on a TV show and you are not. She has a publicity manager who manages the Bates family IG accounts. That's to prevent Carlin from posting a picture of herself drunk, or throwing her purity ring down the toilet, or doing some other wacky thing. That would damage the brand that so many people depend on.

No, Carlin (and the rest of them) takes carefully-crafted pictures and forwards them to their publicity manager, who picks the best ones and who sometimes also writes the comments for them.

Why thank you ma'am , I at times think I'm cute too. Personally I do not tweet and as far as I know I am not delusional either. At times people assume things are much grander than they really are. For myself, I don't envision 30 people running around filming every move they make so I can assume sisters do get in cars, alone, and act silly and take pictures. I thought, but I may be wrong, that they only film for a certain amount of time and then they are not working for periods of time. If I am correct, who ,at those times, prevent drunken slutty pictures or throwing her ring in the loo? I seriously doubt they have people following them around 24/7. Again, not trying to be "cute" just wondering if you know something that I don't.

I have one of those walkers for balance when my Meniere's Disease acts up. Fuck you, Carlin and your whole family. I hope you never find yourself in a position where you need a walker and oxygen.

5 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

A picture of the damage of an oxygen tank that exploded

O2 fire.jpg

I agree that they are insensitive clods but for a moment I thought I was on the Magnolia Pearl thread.

I do not get why everyone seems to be personally offended over an oxygen tank as prop? You don’t have to have COPD to need one. Sometimes people need it just because their bodies are old and don’t function properly anymore. Same with the walking prop. Should people with rheumatism (which can affect young people too) or MS feel offended? 

The theme is stupid in my very subjective opinion but at least they seem to realise that their relationship have a good chance to face the challenges of getting old together and having to deal with situations like that. Or they don’t and are just dim-witted and believe „till death do us part“ is just romance and being old together is just so cute. Whatever it is, I don’t understand why you get upset about something that almost for sure wasn’t aimed at your situation???? Maybe it is insensitive but so what?

And I really would appreciate an answer because so many felt this way. Maybe I am just utterly insensitive?

14 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I do not get why everyone seems to be personally offended over an oxygen tank as prop? You don’t have to have COPD to need one. Sometimes people need it just because their bodies are old and don’t function properly anymore. Same with the walking prop. Should people with rheumatism (which can affect young people too) or MS feel offended? 

The theme is stupid in my very subjective opinion but at least they seem to realise that their relationship have a good chance to face the challenges of getting old together and having to deal with situations like that. Or they don’t and are just dim-witted and believe „till death do us part“ is just romance and being old together is just so cute. Whatever it is, I don’t understand why you get upset about something that almost for sure wasn’t aimed at your situation???? Maybe it is insensitive but so what?

And I really would appreciate an answer because so many felt this way. Maybe I am just utterly insensitive?

It's more that they're making light of disabilities that people must live with and deal with every day of their lives, not just cast aside when the photo shoot is done. "Tee hee, look at me posing all cute/sexy with this device that keeps people from dying of asphyxiation!" "LOLOLOL aren't I cute posing with this device that I totally don't need because my joints and nervous system function properly???" 

I PMed Carlin to tell her that lung disease is not a joke and the device that keeps my dad here on earth with me and the rest of our family is not a cutesy prop, and she just rattled off some "sorry if I offended you, I love old people". Not sure if I want to respond. Probably won't. Life's too short. 

It’s frustrating that her response was that she ‘loves old people’ - because young people never need oxygen or mobility aids. /sarcasm

48 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I thought about this too. Why is it offensive?

I guess it's because if Carlin had a little sister who struggled to walk or breathe, and needed one of these devices, then she would not have used them as a prop. If she had rushed her sister to the hospital because her oxygen tank malfunctioned, and her little sister struggled to breathe in her arms during the car ride, it would be a different story.

Carlin's very fortunate that she and her family are so healthy. The photo is offensive because she so naive that she doesn't realize it, and some very serious medical equipment is all a joke to her. Maybe it's like if she took a cane and sunglasses and pretended to be blind? Or stuck hearing aids in her ears and pretended she couldn't hear?

If one day she has a child that needs oxygen or a walker, she may look back on these photos and cringe. Or maybe not, who knows?

3 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I thought about this too. Why is it offensive?

I guess it's because if Carlin had a little sister who struggled to walk or breathe, and needed one of these devices, then she would not have used them as a prop. If she had rushed her sister to the hospital because her oxygen tank malfunctioned, and her little sister struggled to breathe in her arms during the car ride, it would be a different story.

Carlin's very fortunate that she and her family are so healthy. The photo is offensive because she so naive that she doesn't realize it, and some very serious medical equipment is all a joke to her. Maybe it's like if she took a cane and sunglasses and pretended to be blind? Or stuck hearing aids in her ears and pretended she couldn't hear?

If one day she has a child that needs oxygen or a walker, she may look back on these photos and cringe. Or maybe not, who knows?

But doesn’t that only make her and the rest of her fam very naive?

And what if she experienced what you wrote and still decides to make a joke like that?

I just never get offended by naive/stupid people when they make a joke that touches my own personal drama they are not aware of. And I had my fair share of bad things in the past and right now. 

I will stop answering to this topic as I obviously have a very different view on it, but will continue reading.

I have no problem with people playing in my wheelchair when I’m not sitting in it (as long as they’re not too wide for it and are relatively careful). I think that people can sometimes gain a great deal of insight from experiencing the world from a seated position as I do (or with other tools that might help them experience dementia, visual/hearing problems, peripheral neuropathy, etc). 

I think a lot of the backlash is coming from a place of understanding. Pain, severe breathing problems, mobility difficulties...all those things are real and can be utterly devastating for people who experience them, and for their loved ones. 

Personally, I think it would have been funnier if they’d just dressed up without the medical props, but I accept that I’m looking at it from a very different perspective. 

• Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked this topic

Archived