IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 1: Front Hugging Before Courting

Coconut Flan

On 4.1.2018 at 6:59 PM, Feministe9000 said:

I like how Erin talks about how some of her siblings just aren't mature or ready for marriage, I know she set up Evan and Carlin, but honestly? Let's face it, Carlin was like a dog salivating waiting for the first boy to tell her she's beautiful and amazing and gush over her all day everyday. Enter: Evan.

I don't really get Erin's role as a matchmaker for her siblings and SIL. Didn't she also introduce Tabitha and the rapist to each other? What are her intentions with setting up people? Is it the koolaid that makes her want to help marry off her siblings?

On 7.1.2018 at 6:41 PM, freedom_for_all said:

Y'all are making me feel like I should read Jane Austen. Book club?

I've never read anything from Austen. I'd totally join!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ophelia said:

Didn't she also introduce Tabitha and the rapist to each other? 

That was only speculated here because Erin went to Crown but we have zero evidence of it so far. 

On 11.1.2018 at 4:49 PM, Hisey said:

Well, it's supposed to be this candid, casual picture of her just driving down the street, right? That her BFF might have taken from the passenger seat? But her lipstick and hair are perfect, her nails are done--it seems so posed and fake.

I agree that it's far from a candid picture, but my first thought was actually that her half peeled-off nail polish doesn't jive with how she otherwise presents herself. Not so perfect after all. ;)

On 1/12/2018 at 8:56 AM, nausicaa said:

That was only speculated here because Erin went to Crown but we have zero evidence of it so far. 

Don't you mean CLOWN? :P

On 1/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, Hisey said:

Well, it's supposed to be this candid, casual picture of her just driving down the street, right? That her BFF might have taken from the passenger seat? But her lipstick and hair are perfect, her nails are done--it seems so posed and fake.

Though I guess that's what people her age do, nowadays.

She has make up on and her hair looks good...it's a nice pic so she posted it.   She's pretty, someone took a good pic of her driving and she posted it.  What is she faking?

I just really don't understand why a woman who happens to be good looking and put together should be taken less seriously and this mindset really bothers me.  In a world where most of us still have to deal with being judged on our looks far more than men in many contexts I hate to see contributions to the narrative.

I take someone seriously, or not, based on their words and actions...not how good their eyeliner looks.  And I sure as heck don't want to live in a world where the no make-up, messy hair in a scrunchy, clad in a ratty sweatshirt cleaning the toilet me is more real and worthy of being taken seriously than hair done, good bra wearing, lipstick and mascarraed me.  

I don’t think it’s fake...or only “fake” in so much she asked someone to take a picture of her driving cause she thought she looked good. But like....I might do that to lol

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She has make up on and her hair looks good...it's a nice pic so she posted it.   She's pretty, someone took a good pic of her driving and she posted it.  What is she faking?

I just really don't understand why a woman who happens to be good looking and put together should be taken less seriously and this mindset really bothers me.  In a world where most of us still have to deal with being judged on our looks far more than men in many contexts I hate to see contributions to the narrative.

I take someone seriously, or not, based on their words and actions...not how good their eyeliner looks.  And I sure as heck don't want to live in a world where the no make-up, messy hair in a scrunchy, clad in a ratty sweatshirt cleaning the toilet me is more real and worthy of being taken seriously than hair done, good bra wearing, lipstick and mascarraed me.  

So agree with this. 

I snark on Carlin, but I can’t judge her for that. 

And compared to the Sarah Maxwells of their world, I can’t fault her for it. 

Yes i know they have an awfully cult like lifestyle and their religion is shite and I agree with what we have all discussed in regards to it. 

But in the context of her world, of which she is likely never to fully truly move away from (I know a couple will, but that is just the result of large family dynamics and opportunities to live a less restrictive and more “modern” lifestyle and I’m sure sheer will and guts) but let’s face it, Carlin? Nah she’ll be singing for Jesus and praising Gil and Kelly for her Godly marriage and babies with super sweet Evaaaan till the cows come home. Or maybe not, and she will one day surprise us all. 

Regardless of either outcome, she’s young and beautiful and she feels good about herself. I don’t fault her for that one bit. 

I am very sorry for her. She is my least favourite because she is just too much for me. The voice, the words, the attitude, the volume...

But I believe in the real world she would have overcome this phase by now and be a happy active cheerleader kind of girl. Lots and friends and on her second boyfriend (maybe saving herself for marriage though). She would mature but still be very outgoing and one day fall in love with a more calm persona.

Yet, here she is with the male version of herself. I may be totally off and of course I don’t really know them or know the future but I think two years into the marriage reality will hit. And it will hit hard. She strikes me as not obedient enough to put up with a crappy Evan/marriage. That’s great but what solutions would she have then? 

Lets hope these two will give us a pleasant surprise and be fine.

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She’s also no different than 98% of her peers on Instagram. Everything on there is “fake” in terms of what most people think.

Most young people are trying to become instafamous because when you hit that level you can make a good living. But to hit that level every photo better be magazine worthy. 

I don’t know why anyone expects these kids to be so different from their peers. They may have shitty beliefs but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t like secular kids either. 

10 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

She’s also no different than 98% of her peers on Instagram. Everything on there is “fake” in terms of what most people think.

Most young people are trying to become instafamous because when you hit that level you can make a good living. But to hit that level every photo better be magazine worthy. 

Makes me think of the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive".

16 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Because I dont really think she was driving down the road thinking deep thoughts. I think the photo looks posed and fake and I lose respect for people who are posed and fake.

I respect honesty and genuineness. You can respect the qualities you like. 

The fact that she is goodlooking has nothing to do with it. You can be real, genuine and honest while being good looking. 

Carlin looks like she is trying too hard. 

I dunno. I have two teenage daughters with IG accounts. They post pictures of things they see or do or like. My youngest, who loves food, will post pictures of a special meal or snack. She's also into art, so she connects with her arty friends by posting stuff like a beautiful leaf or sunset, or an interesting design. My oldest will post pictures of herself going to new places, or hanging out with friends, or singing in choir.  Their accounts are ways they connect with their friends. I frequently see their friends' IG accounts, and it's much the same. 

They have never expressed an interest in becoming "instafamous".  I know lots of young people, and I've never met one with this goal. They plan to earn a "good living" through their jobs. My oldest has already saved a bunch from her part-time job. 

Of course they want to look good in the pics they post. Who wouldn't? In some pictures, they look especially nice (like when dressed up for a dance). In some, they look more casual (like on a hike). That's real life. 

I don't think we can blame patriarchy for Carlin's being a nitwit. She may be constrained by patriarchy, but she could still post pictures of things she created, or accomplished, or drew  or felt were special.  Like Erin has done, playing piano. That never happens.

So those posed, made up pictures, striving for an empty fame, turn me off. She doesn't seem like an interesting person.

And you know what kind of "mindset" turns me off? The mindset that if you are young and beautiful that you are beyond reproach, you don't need to be kind or interesting or smart or creative. And that you're just jealous if you don't agree!  I think that "mindset" is pretty sexist. I have higher hopes for the young and beautiful girls I know.

22 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Makes me think of the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive".

"Oh my God, Nae Nae!"

Thank you @Hisey. Whatever religion, economic circumstance or time period Carlin had been born in--I think she's still be a shallow nitwit.

I’ve posted pictures of myself on Instagram solely because I liked them and thought I looked good. I’m not shallow or stupid or trying to be instafamous. While I fault Carlin for a lot of things, being pretty and posting staged photos of herself on social media is *not* one of them. :my_angel:

2 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Where does Evan live?  Carlin will conceivably be moving their, yes? Because he has an actual job? 

He lives in Nashville so most they’ll most likely move

although I’m not sure of what Evan job is 

47 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

He lives in Nashville so most they’ll most likely move

although I’m not sure of what Evan job is 

As far as I know he still works at a medical center, I believe doing reception type work. He seems to have been there for a while which is good. 

On 1/15/2018 at 5:04 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I take someone seriously, or not, based on their words and actions...not how good their eyeliner looks.  

Which of Carlin's words or actions particularly impressed you?

On 1/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, brusselsgriffon said:

I’ve posted pictures of myself on Instagram solely because I liked them and thought I looked good. I’m not shallow or stupid or trying to be instafamous. While I fault Carlin for a lot of things, being pretty and posting staged photos of herself on social media is *not* one of them. :my_angel:

Absolutely! We are all free to have our own opinion. My opinion was that staged photos like that seem off-putting and insincere. 

By the way, if Carlin was unattractive and posting fake, staged photos, my opinion would be exactly the same. I would still be snarking on her. And I bet a lot more people would be joining me.

I think they got engaged.  The current IG story they're showing, they look dressed up, I think they must have a photographer with them. 

• Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived