IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 1: Front Hugging Before Courting

Coconut Flan

On 7/21/2017 at 1:22 PM, VBOY9977 said:

Ugh, whenever I see Evan and Carlin I think of that relationship you have junior/senior year of highschool where everything is great and you're super "in love" and stuff but once you start college you're like byeee and break up cause you discovered he was not the guy you wanted...

I like that they front hug and all of that but I still don't see them being married at All.. but knowing them they probably will in less than a year * sigh*

I see this as a possible failed courtship. At least I hope. Not that I hope they feel sad for a month about the breakup, but I can't imagine having to look at that man for the rest of your life and not feeling second hand embarrassment over that stupid Zoolander face. 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see her marrying Bieber. He doesn't scream husband material. 

Though their wedding portraits would be hilarious. 

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I can't see her marrying Bieber. He doesn't scream husband material. 

Though their wedding portraits would be hilarious. 

Matching duckfaces!  And Carlin giving a "V for Victory" sign

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

But if it's their wedding photos, wouldn't it be "V for Virgins!" That way everyone knows how super speshul and holy their marriage will be.

9 hours ago, SuhrEnity said:

Evans sister annoys me just about as much as he does. Ugh

Evan's whole family is insufferable. I could barely get through the episode when Carlin went to their house for a weekend with Katie.

19 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

But if it's their wedding photos, wouldn't it be "V for Virgins!" That way everyone knows how super speshul and holy their marriage will be.

Or maybe "V for Virtuous". Of course, I think it should be "V for Vomit-inducing".

On 7/25/2017 at 8:58 PM, speller24 said:

I see this as a possible failed courtship. At least I hope. Not that I hope they feel sad for a month about the breakup, but I can't imagine having to look at that man for the rest of your life and not feeling second hand embarrassment over that stupid Zoolander face. 

I mean, I wish they could breakup and learn from things like normal people do. The problem is that Carlin is in a culture that stigmatizes sharing affection with anyone except a spouse. As much as I don't like Evan, I hope for Carlin that they do marry. if not, she'll be crying for more than  month. My sister is still depressed about her ex no she was dumped 2 years ago...

On 7/26/2017 at 8:09 AM, HereticHick said:

Oh my, imagine the duckfaces kissing :my_sick: ew. The more I think about it, the more I gag. Ugh. 

10 minutes ago, veron1que said:

I mean, I wish they could breakup and learn from things like normal people do. The problem is that Carlin is in a culture that stigmatizes sharing affection with anyone except a spouse. As much as I don't like Evan, I hope for Carlin that they do marry. if not, she'll be crying for more than  month. My sister is still depressed about her ex no she was dumped 2 years ago...

I'm sorry about your sister. Breakups are so hard. But just imagine, marrying the first boy you ever had thing with. I'm talking like junior high level relationship. I can't wish that upon her, because we all deserve better than the guy we lusted after in 10th grade. I know the break up would hurt her, but she'd be ok, I honestly think with her ego, and her undying need to please, she'll be right back at it with somebody else. I know that's not going to happen, but yikes. 

14 minutes ago, veron1que said:

As much as I don't like Evan, I hope for Carlin that they do marry. if not, she'll be crying for more than  month. 

Crying for more than a month seems like nothing compared to being stuck in a bad marriage with God knows how many children. I cried for 8 months after my last ex broke up with me. It was devastating. But I'm so glad we didn't get married. And divorce/not a ton of kids would have been much more realistic options for me than for Carlin.  

In my experience it's much better to feel horrible alone than to feel horrible because of someone you feel trapped with. 

2 hours ago, speller24 said:

But just imagine, marrying the first boy you ever had thing with. I'm talking like junior high level relationship.we all deserve better than the guy we lusted after in 10th grade.

O.M.G THE HORROR I FEEL AT SPENDING MY LIFE WITH THE BOY I "LOVED WITH ALL MY HEART" IN HIGH SCHOOL IS GIVING ME INSTANT REGRET HIVES

53 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

O.M.G THE HORROR I FEEL AT SPENDING MY LIFE WITH THE BOY I "LOVED WITH ALL MY HEART" IN HIGH SCHOOL IS GIVING ME INSTANT REGRET HIVES

Ugh, right? I cannot even image marrying my first boyfriend. He still lives in the same tiny town next to the tiny town I lived in. I dreamt of escaping (and did) all through high school. 

Hey, some people marry their high school sweethearts, or their first ever boyfriend/girlfriend, and it works out just fine.

Like, I can imagine having married my high school boyfriend. I'm glad I didn't, but if for some reason we had gotten married, I think it probably could have worked out just fine. It's not necessarily an all or nothing thing.

That said, Evan is obnoxious and I hope Carlin doesn't marry him. Then again, Carlin is also obnoxious. So maybe they deserve each other? Or as Dwight Schrute once said, "I don't see it. I think they both could do better."

I think it's safe to say that if you marry your high school sweetheart the odds are against you. It's great if you can make it work but people who marry very young have a high divorce rate. That's not entirely relevant in this scenario because of their views on divorce but it would be a very trying marriage. 

I was barely licensed to operate my genitals in high school, if I had married the first person I dated (like i thought I would) it would have been a flaming shit show. 

I will admit, I'm rather glad I haven't been in a relationship, especially one in high school. Whenever i as my Facebook "On This Day" memories I have to wonder what was wrong with me as a teenager.

I'm nearly 24 how's and I've gotten over the whole "post everything on the internet" phase of my life. (Also I never got into the duck face selfie thing, and I am incredibly proud of that).

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Hey, some people marry their high school sweethearts, or their first ever boyfriend/girlfriend, and it works out just fine.

I completely agree with this and I think it's important to keep in mind. I for one would have been miserable married to my first boyfriend -- we were a great match when I was 17, but by 22 I was already glad it hadn't worked out. I get that a lot of us are horrified by the idea of marrying our first, but when that slides into a general "OMG can you imagine marrying your first boyfriend?!?  THE HORROR!!1!" it can seem very dismissive of posters who did marry their first significant other.  

If you married your high school/college boyfriend/girlfriend after waiting several years to make sure you're growing in the same direction, you have some education or work experience under your belt, and you can make responsible adult decisions for your life, great! Lucky you that you didn't have to spend a long time being lonely and waiting for someone. 

If your first real relationship wasn't until you were an established adult and then you made a decision to marry that person because you're happy with them, great! 

If you married your first boyfriend/girlfriend when you were very young and it worked out for you, you're very lucky. The odds are definitely against people in that situation, but happy you beat them. 

If you married the first boy/girl you ever really kind of got to know outside of your family, without ever having been alone with them, without even having kissed them, without ever having been alone in public in your life, with no education or ability to support yourself, and with the idea that you have to always submit yourself to pleasing them and immediately have an endless number of babies -- and it turns out it works and you're happy? Then you're STUPID LUCKY. But you might also just be brainwashed to the point where you don't even know what happiness is. 

Seriously, though, the model these people are pushing for marriage is a disaster far worse than marrying your first boyfriend would have been for most of us. 

If I had married my first boyfriend, I would be a Church of Christ preacher's wife.[emoji46]

@lumpentheologieI married my first boyfriend and completely agree with you. We got together at 19, dated six years, were engaged for two years, and will celebrate a decade together this fall with Velocibaby and Velocipuppy. It doesn't always work out like that though and we're really grateful it did for us. We lucked out big time.

But yeah. There's lightyears of difference between us and the situation for many Fundies - including Carlin and Fundie Zoolander. We were able to grow up and see where life was taking us as a couple and as individuals before committing to marriage. CarLander (I've decided that's their couple name :pb_lol:) won't have that chance. It's either marriage at a young age or broken heart pieces. No in between or way out or other options and that's sad.

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

If I had married my first boyfriend, I would be a Church of Christ preacher's wife.emoji46.png

ooooh--would you have big hair??

I have a friend who married her high school sweetheart, they just celebrated their 7th wedding anniversary. One of them went to university in California, one on the east coast of Canada. They survived 4 years apart, seeing each other during breaks and then married after they got their respective degrees. Was it tough? Yes. Does it continue to be tough? Yes. It's just that they grew together, whereas fundies just jump in and then have to figure out how to entwine. 

I agree! I went to college with many people that got married right before we graduated college (a few waited till they both had their degree too) and for many it was their first relationship. I think it's great because college is such a formative time of growing up and figuring out life so I'm glad that they were able to do that. I just wonder though what happens because many of them got married cause their husband did ROTC and after they got married were shipped off immediately.

My parents met each other in 8th grade (1983) and didn't get married until 1992. They have only dated each other. My mom got her nursing degree while my dad was in the Mediterranean as well as Iraq because he was in the Marines. Some hearts get lucky sometimes. 

My first boyfriend was my best - treated me better than any of the men I've dated since.

Unfortunately, he ended up in jail and my parents made me end it.

lol.

I can see my 20 year-old ending up with his girlfriend, though she's the first. They're like an old married couple already in certain ways. And I know a few people who've been together since high school, so I know it can happen.

But Carlin is the same age as my youngest son, who still has not had a girlfriend yet. He's fairly mature for his age, has a lot of responsibility at work and is on a management track, and if he had his own apartment, I know he'd do fine. Yet imagining him married seems so preposterous, I can't grasp it. He assumes that's some distant thing, like, he does well at work and has a car, then he'll get an apartment in a couple years, then he'll "find a lady," as he puts it, and then go from there.

I like Carlin a lot, so I am hopeful for her, but feel a bit motherly and worried, too.

I AM IN LOVE WITH "Cabbage Patch Dolls Are My New Birth Control."

• Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived