IGNORED

Dillards 35: Waiting on People Magazine

Coconut Flan

55 minutes ago, StacyW said:

...but getting back to the left handed/right handed topic, I'm right handed and can only do cartwheels if I put my left hand down first (I'm in my 50s and still like to do cartwheels). When I try to start with my right hand, I just collapse into the ground. Why is this?

Same thing.  My left hand is my dominant side in gymnastics.  I can't do a cartwheel right handed to save my life.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@StacyW,  I think it's totally badass that you still do cartwheels in your 50s!  

I could never do cartwheels at all.  Or handsprings.  They were totally beyond me. 

I'm left-handed, really really left-handed. I even knit the "wrong" way, my mom, who is right-handed, she taught herself to knit the other way so that she could teach me. And now I've taught myself to knit the "right" way because I'm an arts and crafts teacher. I knit so much slower when I knit with my right hand...

Although I favour my left hand I'm better with my right hand that most right-handed people would be with their left, because it's a right-handed world. When I broke my left upper arm and wore a cast for four months I managed ok, I even put on my liquid eyeliner with my right arm! 

Back to Izzy staying with grandma. I stayed at my grandparents house for weeks when my little brother was born in 1990. He was born a month early and my mum had an emergency c-section because of some problems with the placenta. And at the same time my dad was in isolation at the same hospital because of blood poisoning. I was only three so for me it was a lot of fun getting to stay with my grandparents! Much more fun than getting a baby brother.

On 21 July 2017 at 10:31 PM, Zola said:

My brother was born left-handed, but he told me when he was being taught to write in kindergarten/first grade, the teacher actually tied  his left hand to the desk to force him to learn to write right-handed. This would have been in Wisconsin or Nebraska, circa 1973. It may have been a parochial school. 

He is now ambidextrous and uses either left or right, depending on which feels more natural.

I am right-handed, and I was a little envious of his ambidexterity, so starting at about 13, I made myself switch hands by alterating use of them according to days to gain better use of the left. Even days were righty, odd were lefty. It did take a good bit of practice, but I perservered and saw results. I even learned to write semi-legibly with my left, but I have to write backwards, like da Vinci.

Who the hell thinks it is in any way okay to literally bind a kid's dominant left hand to his desk so he has no option but to learn to write/operate with his less capable right hand? It's just needless and cruel.

My Nana, born in 1908 was left-handed. The teacher at the small country school she attended tied her left hand behind her back. Until my G-grandfather heard about it! I really see no sense in doing this. God gave us two hands. 

2 hours ago, msbaker said:

Same thing.  My left hand is my dominant side in gymnastics.  I can't do a cartwheel right handed to save my life.

Me too! I always thought that was odd.. I can't really do a cartwheel anymore, but always did that with my left...couldn't at all to the right, and everything else with my right. I ride horses and they have very strong "handedness" too. Almost always better strength and confidence in one direction. 

2 hours ago, msbaker said:

Sort of the same thing. I'm right handed but have to mount a horse with my left leg (in the stirrup) and hand doing most of the work, also always kick the horse with my left heel to get him moving as it just feels uncomfortable with my right and as though I can't do it properly. I can't mount with my right either without standing on a wall or something to make my waist the same height as the horses back. I always found it weird as in all other sports I'm right dominant. 

I also tend to hold my phone in my right hand while I do things like make tea with my left which never made sense to me since I'm right handed 

I'm in agreement with those posting that Jill/Sam probably had short-term complications. Probably an infection in either mom or baby, stressful but generally well-managed during a hospital stay. Or Sam could have had minor complications that they wanted to do extra testing on. Or Jill may have peripartum Bell's palsy (more likely that a stroke....) and that's why there's no pictures of her except the one from a weird angle where her face looks uncharacteristic. lots of possibilities for the Dullards. 

My guess is that Jill was in the hospital a week or so post-partum and Cathy was keeping Izzy so Derick could stay with her, but now they're all home. Hopefully Cathy still helps out with Izzy though because I can't imagine D-wreck having to handle a toddler, an infant, and a recovering wife...

I'm 35 and right handed but I also never learned to hold a pen/pencil correctly.  It wasn't even until high school that I realized that I held it weirdly.  Literally nobody noticed or tried to correct me.  
I don't know if I hold the pen/pencil like a leftie, but the pen basically rests on my ring finger, where the first knuckle is. I developed a callous or something where it rests.  It used to be a really big bump but has gotten smaller since the vast majority of my writing has been typing for years. 
I also never learned how to use chopsticks.  Everyone who has tried to teach tells me to hold the stable stick like a pencil and I have to say "I never learned how to do that correctly!" So I'm the goober who eats sushi with a fork or my hands. 

I hold my pen the exact same way! I still have a huge callus although I type way more than I write now.

At work I mark off everything with a highlighter in my left hand, and strangely enough I hold pens correctly in that hand.

8 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

At work I mark off everything with a highlighter in my left hand, and strangely enough I hold pens correctly in that hand.

Huh. I wonder how many of us there are like this? I'm the same with my left hand.

I do cartwheels right-hand first and I'm a righty. I'm also 50 and still do a cartwheel here-and-there just because.

My sisters who are identical twins sucked opposite thumbs when they were younger (I was going to say babies, but it continued well past then--it was hard to get them to stop!). Most of the time thumb sucking is correlated with handedness (almost all the time with the right thumb, about 2/3 of the time with the left thumb, if I recall correctly) so we wondered if one would end up left-handed, but they are both right-handed. Interestingly, though, the one who sucked her left thumb does do certain things other than writing left-handed, including left-handed cartwheels.

I'm right handed but I taught myself to write with my left hand so I can write pretty comfortably with both, though my left is slower. It comes in handy when one hand gets tired!

I am left-eyed though and naturally prefer to do some things, including some sports stuff, with my left hand.

1.  I am totally envious of anyone, at any age, who can do a cartwheel.  I have never accomplished this.

2.  When MM3 was born, at 42 weeks, the placenta split and some stayed in, so needless to say, after about 2 days, I was back in the hospital.  My mom came and stayed for a week with the older kids, then the kids went to the other grandparents for two weeks.  I don't find it odd that Izzy is staying with his grandma for an extended period of time, following a birth, in either one of their homes.

3.  The damned scissors test.  Oldest kid tested for kindergarten and did not pass the scissors test.  She waited a year to start school.  Adding that now in her mid 30s, she can use them just fine.

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@StacyW,  I think it's totally badass that you still do cartwheels in your 50s!  

I could never do cartwheels at all.  Or handsprings.  They were totally beyond me. 

I'm in my 50's, and can do a cartwheel both right and left handed!  Well, at least I could 4 years ago...havent tried for a while :)

I can't fault Jill and Derick for sending Izzy to chill at Grandma's house until Jill recovered a bit and they got more used to the new baby. (Particularly when we don't know the whole story yet as far as what went down with her labor.) He's safe and well-cared for and not a part of the herd at the TTH. If Grandma was game, I just don't see the harm. And I certainly can't fault a woman who is recovering from a c-section and whose partner is likely helping her and the new baby for sending an active toddler to stay with someone else for awhile.

My grandmother, who had her children between 1945 and 1952, traveled all the way from New York City to Kentucky while she was heavily pregnant. She stayed at her mother's home until she gave birth and stayed for quite awhile after that. So Grandma helping out is as old as the hills.

As an aside, this same grandmother was left-handed and, remarkably, wasn't switched to her right-hand. To this day, I'm still surprised that a girl going to school in rural Kentucky in the 1920s wasn't forced to use her right hand, particularly when I hear stories of it as late as the 1980s.

On 7/19/2017 at 1:07 PM, Iamtheway said:

I agree with your whole post but especially this. Educate yourself sure, but be careful with google. I swear there was a horror story about everything I ever wondered about. 

Have SPD? Read about the woman that had to hop on crutches from week one and still does two years after her baby was born. 

Feel nauseas? Here's a woman that threw up once every five minutes for nine months. 

Itchy? This woman scratched herself with a steel brush until she bled and had to be induced early to not go insane. 

Got hemorrhoids? Someone online got them the sice of watermelons.

Remember that few people write about how everything were just pretty avarage. How they felt a bit sick, was a little achey, had a painful but uneventful delivery of a pretty cute baby. The horror stories get around though. 

This is why I was told to avoid the What to Expecting books, and I'm happy I did.  After #1, I looked through the 1st book, and oh my god!  It read like a list of "here's what's going to go wrong!"  So many things listed.  I would have been scared out of my mind that my baby was going to die from all sorts of conditions if I had read that before birth!

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I do cartwheels right-hand first and I'm a righty. I'm also 50 and still do a cartwheel here-and-there just because.

The last time I tried, I was in my front yard, and my right hand that went down 1st landed in a hole with all my momentum behind it.  That hurt.  A lot.  A fucking lot.  I never tried again.

My mom (62) is left handed but was hit with a ruler in primary school until she wrote with her right hand.  She now does a mix of both depending on the activity.  I thought this practice was phased out way before the 90’s.  I’m sorry for all of you. 

Both of her children are Right handed.

Took ballet and gymnastics for years. Got right to competition level and blew my knee on a dismount. That ended both those dreams.  3 kids, hip dysplasia and 100lb weight gain (hypothyroidism) changed a LOT. Still, when my oldest decided to try out for cheerleading this summer, she was having a hard time on the lead in to her cartwheels and round-offs.  Didn't know if I could even support my own body weight but ahh why not. Launched into a round-off and landed it, much to my shock! Told my daughter if my 37 year old butt could do it after 20 years, so could she!

I'm dominant right in everything. Hubby is dominant right. My girls are dominant right.  But our son is somewhat ambidextrous,  he writes/cuts right handed but shoots/catches left handed in and plays left wing in hockey. Trying to find reverse goalie gear when he wants to play as goalie instead of winger is TOUGH, we usually have to special order.

9 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Sort of the same thing. I'm right handed but have to mount a horse with my left leg (in the stirrup) and hand doing most of the work, also always kick the horse with my left heel to get him moving as it just feels uncomfortable with my right and as though I can't do it properly. I can't mount with my right either without standing on a wall or something to make my waist the same height as the horses back. I always found it weird as in all other sports I'm right dominant. 

I also tend to hold my phone in my right hand while I do things like make tea with my left which never made sense to me since I'm right handed 

I'm also very right handed (or right sided). Do you ride western or classic? I ride classic, and it is a rule to ALWAYS mount from the horses left side (when looking in the same direction as the horse). Then it is natural to have the left foot in the stirrup. But I still feel as the right side is the dominant one, for me at least? It might just be that it is so ingrained in me, that I can't fanthom how to even mount when on the right side of the horse. But, when I think about it, I am a leftie when snowboarding, doing cartwheels and diving (as in standing with the left foot in front). Hm... But kicking is right foot. This just got weird :my_biggrin:

45 minutes ago, Thorns said:

I'm also very right handed (or right sided). Do you ride western or classic? I ride classic, and it is a rule to ALWAYS mount from the horses left side (when looking in the same direction as the horse). Then it is natural to have the left foot in the stirrup. But I still feel as the right side is the dominant one, for me at least? It might just be that it is so ingrained in me, that I can't fanthom how to even mount when on the right side of the horse. But, when I think about it, I am a leftie when snowboarding, doing cartwheels and diving (as in standing with the left foot in front). Hm... But kicking is right foot. This just got weird :my_biggrin:

Classic/English as I'm from the UK and we have very few opportunities to ride western. I have a western saddle though but it isn't used very often because I'm just more comfortable in my normal saddle as that's what I've grown up with if you get what I mean! 

I was taught to always mount on the left but there's times where I've had to mount on the right and it was the most awkward thing to attempt. My horse is that docile though I doubt he even pays attention to what I'm doing half the time :pb_lol:

But I've always kicked with the left and when I try to with the right it feels unnatural. I hold my crop in my left hand and if I'm using my phone to take a picture I'll always take it with my right and keep my left hand on the reigns to control the horse, again no idea why lol! 

On 7/21/2017 at 10:02 PM, just_ordinary said:

I am sure it was all in good fun, but reading the mum's reaction I was actually shocked at first glance. Kicking your obnoxious teenager in the back to teach a lesson?????? The description made me quite uncomfortable. Hope I just interpret the situation wrong.

Yes, it was all in good fun. 

It wasn't 'kicking him in the back.' It was more of a symbolic 'kick in the butt,' if you are familiar with the old saying. 

He knew what was happening since his mother added her commentary about him getting a 'kick' in the rear for being so chauvinistic. It wasn't literally a kick. All in good fun and not abusive or painful for him.

Well, except for the 'injury' to his pride. LOL 

I'm right handed but I play the guitar left handed. I can also use both right and left stance in boxing. Humans are weird creatures :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Thorns and @BlessaYourHeart  I ride Western, and we always mount from the left too.

Cool, did not know that! Wonder how that rule came about? (Hm, swords on the left hip maybe?) 

I'm right handed but until my right arm was out of commission for 8-10 weeks, I didn't realize how right handed. It was an extremely long and tedious process doing most everything. I wish I were more ambidextrous but I am not.   

On 7/19/2017 at 8:35 PM, justoneoftwo said:

In some ways we are all brainwashed

I agree with this. Well - we're not literally brainwashed, maybe, but we're all heavily influenced by our upbringing, by our peer groups and our parents.

Also, most of us with non-Duggar backgrounds will have had much more leeway to drift, both physically and mentally. And how many of us ultimately drifted that far, anyway?

2 hours ago, Thorns said:

Cool, did not know that! Wonder how that rule came about? (Hm, swords on the left hip maybe?) 

Rider here.  Yes it had to do with swords.  I ride both deciplines although I started English so it is my most solid and my go to for an unknown horse.  Getting up in the other side does just feel so strange and uncoordinated me.  My horse, he couldn't care less.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived