IGNORED

Dillards 35: Waiting on People Magazine

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, wandering woman said:

Don't.want.to.hear.more.labor.and.delivery.stories.

It's.called.skipping.the.posts.you.aren't.interested.in.because.thread.drift.is.cool.here. :pb_lol:

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Karma said:

I've never heard of the head/hand thing and I've got a 20 yo and 17yo.  By contrast, my chiropractor stressed the importance of swapping them over to help minimise my back and shoulder pain.

DH, DD and I are right handed, but DS was nearly 4 I think before he showed a strong preference for writing/cutting etc with his left hand.  He uses his mouse, and played sport with his right hand, but left dominates for other things. 

My parents said that they noticed very early that I used the left hand a lot. (Couple of months old.) Ich write with left, can't write with right at all. Scissors, knive and everything else with left. Mouse with right. Perfect at work. I use the mouse and write at the same time. I feel like my left hand is more sensitive to pain, so I do thinks that require strength (opening water bottles who are hard to open for example= with right at the beginning and finish with left. Oh and I eat with my left hand and use my right for my iPad. So I can use both hands quite a bit, but the left hand is the stronger one.

Surprisingly no one in my close family is left handed. The one closest is a great uncle. (Even when you keep in mind that that generation was often forced to use the right hand.) Great way to test it with an adult is to throw them a ball (when they have no idea) and look which hand they use to catch it. 

Mr. Four's father was ambidextrous. Three of his five children are left handed. I've always wondered if there's some connection.

Handedness is very interesting, particularly mixed handedness and ambidexterity. Lots of athletes exhibit mixed handedness or ambidexterity. There's even a term for it in baseball: switch hitters.  The pro golfer Phil Mickelson is right-handed, but golfs left-handed. President Gerald Ford was reputed to be able to write with both hands,  but he would write at hi desk with one hand and standing up, as on the blackboard, with the other. I can't remember who it was that could write Latin and one hand and English with the other.

I have a left-handed daughter and my granddaughter seems to favor her left hand. She signs right-handed though while I, who am normally right-handed for most things, can do the ASL alphabet better with my left hand.  That may be a factor of my age though.  My right hand is a bit stiff.

My twin brother was left-handed until kindergarten when the school "taught" him to go dominantly right. This was also the late 90s so I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like this. So he'll do things like writing with his dominant hand but everything else with his left hand. I've always been dominant in right expect picking up things like a cup and when I played lacrosse (me and one of my friends were the only lefties on the team so our coach had to yell non-dominant instead of right when we did our warmup drills).

21 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

This was also the late 90s so I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like this.

In which country? I was born in 1991 and it was widely known not to do that. 

6 hours ago, Jilli said:

I hate either 'handed' notebooks and have gone to using a legal pad for most things involving notes that a post it won't cover.

Oh my gosh, I've never thought about this until now. I hated using spiral notebooks and always used legal pads or loose paper (unlined if just for my personal notes) unless the teacher made us keep a journal or something.  I never thought about why I liked this more, I just did it. Makes so much sense now. I write with my right hand but when math is involved, drawing diagrams, figures, or timelines I prefer left. How sad is it that my mind is blown?! Clearly it has been one of those days!

I should be left handed, but was taught to write with my right. I have better co-ordination in my right but left is stronger and I find myself doing a lot of things with it.

Funny story: I wasn't able to dive properly for 10 years. Belly-flopped everytime.  Swim coaches tried everything. One day during PE in 10th Grade the coach off-handedly told me to swiitch my foot and bam! A perfect dive.

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It's.called.skipping.the.posts.you.aren't.interested.in.because.thread.drift.is.cool.here. :pb_lol:

I.read.your.post.with.a.pause.between.each.word.because.my.brain.works.that.way.

My grandfather was ambidextrous.Mr Melon's brother is,too.My grandfather drew a face on a china cabinet,with his left hand ,as a child,my great grandmother thought it was some masterpiece,and it was never washed off.Once,my parents were visiting,Melon son 2,had a toy,in his left hand....my mother told me I needed to get him to use his right hand...etc etc..My father said You're a right handed boy! I said No he is not,and I refused to force my child to use his right hand.JInderRoles,I still can't dive,maybe I need to switch my foot.I do have a  fear of deep water,too.

In America @Gobbles. I wasn't sure if it was a generational thing either too because we were born in the 90s. The few lefties I know weren't ever taught to go to right hand that were my age too.

4 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

My twin brother was left-handed until kindergarten when the school "taught" him to go dominantly right. This was also the late 90s so I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like this. So he'll do things like writing with his dominant hand but everything else with his left hand. I've always been dominant in right expect picking up things like a cup and when I played lacrosse (me and one of my friends were the only lefties on the team so our coach had to yell non-dominant instead of right when we did our warmup drills).

This was me!  Went to K & wrote left handed, they worked hard to teach me to write right handed.  I use my right hand for some things & my left for others.  I cut food with my right, use my fork with my left.  I use my mouse at work on the left but right at home.  I can write with both hands, I am quicker & more presentable with my right hand.  I have one lefty child & one righty child.

My mom born in 1919 was ambidextrous, and was encouraged by all  in childhood to train herself to be righthanded especially writing.  She could draw and write  with either hand, use a scissors too but was more comfortable using her right as an adult.

A few of her older sisters (she had 7) were probably left dominant, they told stories of having their left hands tied behind their back for the schoolday.   The three oldest were born in the 1890s.

My son is a true lefty, but uses a mouse with his right.  There was never a time since he started in the early intervention system in 1994 of forcing him to switch.  He was tested to see what he could do with either hand as part of the evaluation process.

My brother was born left-handed, but he told me when he was being taught to write in kindergarten/first grade, the teacher actually tied  his left hand to the desk to force him to learn to write right-handed. This would have been in Wisconsin or Nebraska, circa 1973. It may have been a parochial school. 

He is now ambidextrous and uses either left or right, depending on which feels more natural.

I am right-handed, and I was a little envious of his ambidexterity, so starting at about 13, I made myself switch hands by alterating use of them according to days to gain better use of the left. Even days were righty, odd were lefty. It did take a good bit of practice, but I perservered and saw results. I even learned to write semi-legibly with my left, but I have to write backwards, like da Vinci.

Who the hell thinks it is in any way okay to literally bind a kid's dominant left hand to his desk so he has no option but to learn to write/operate with his less capable right hand? It's just needless and cruel.

I write and eat with my left hand, do most other things with my right; some things I do equally well (or badly) with both.  My son was totally ambidextrous in 1st grade (mid-70's) but his teacher was concerned about fine motor skills.  Despite my demanding that she leave him alone, she strongly encouraged him to use his right hand.  He wrote with his right hand, and you could barely read it, but did almost everything else left-handed (I lost him nine years ago).  So he would have been left dominant if he had been left alone.

I'm right handed but I don't hold a pen or pencil properly.  I hold it like I'm left handed.  I get ink and pencil smears on my hand just like a lefty.

1 hour ago, Zola said:

Who the hell thinks it is in any way okay to literally bind a kid's dominant left hand to his desk so he has no option but to learn to write/operate with his less capable right hand? It's just needless and cruel.

In the past, people thought that left-handedness was a sign of evil. That's part of the reason some languages, like Italian, have "left" be words that sound like sinister (if I remember correctly, in Italian left is sinistra)

5 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I should be left handed, but was taught to write with my right. I have better co-ordination in my right but left is stronger and I find myself doing a lot of things with it.

Funny story: I wasn't able to dive properly for 10 years. Belly-flopped everytime.  Swim coaches tried everything. One day during PE in 10th Grade the coach off-handedly told me to swiitch my foot and bam! A perfect dive.

Oh my goodness, I had the same exact experience as you. Although, lucky for my stomach, I was given the tip when I was 11. I remember that summer oh so well because I was finally able to dive like the rest of my friends. 

Believe it or not, it was a friend's older brother(16!), who provided the tip. We were all like 'how'd you know that?!?!' and he, in true teenage boy-macho fashion replied 'if you ever want to know how to do something right, just ask a man.' We all gave him hell for that one and told his mom who, in true cool mom fashion, called him out of the pool, had him stand with his back to her and pushed him in the pool using her foot hard against his backside LOL 

*Yet one more reason to love FJ...unexpected reminders of fond memories!*

47 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

In the past, people thought that left-handedness was a sign of evil. That's part of the reason some languages, like Italian, have "left" be words that sound like sinister (if I remember correctly, in Italian left is sinistra)

My great-aunt was left-handed. As a toddler, her parents (borderline fundies) tied her left hand behind her back until she learned to use her right hand instead. She was incredibly clumsy, and blamed it on the hand-tying. As an adult she had a pair of lefty scissors that she used to cut fabric (she sewed a lot of clothes), and she wrote and ate with her left hand, but she used her right hand for door knobs and things that are typically "right-handed."

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Handedness is very interesting, particularly mixed handedness and ambidexterity. Lots of athletes exhibit mixed handedness or ambidexterity. There's even a term for it in baseball: switch hitters.  The pro golfer Phil Mickelson is right-handed, but golfs left-handed. President Gerald Ford was reputed to be able to write with both hands,  but he would write at hi desk with one hand and standing up, as on the blackboard, with the other. I can't remember who it was that could write Latin and one hand and English with the other.

I have a left-handed daughter and my granddaughter seems to favor her left hand. She signs right-handed though while I, who am normally right-handed for most things, can do the ASL alphabet better with my left hand.  That may be a factor of my age though.  My right hand is a bit stiff.

We are both right handed as are all three of our kids but all three kids do most sports related things left handed. All three hit a baseball left handed (my middle child is a switch hitter, he gets more hits right handed, but has a lot more power hitting left), golf left handed, you a bow for archery left handed, etc... But when they throw a baseball or whatever they do it right handed. We always just let them do what feels more natural for them.

My mom was left handed, but taught to write with her right hand in Catholic school in the 60's. My husband's brother and sister are left handed. I too, find the who right handed/left handed thing interesting. Probably since I am not even coordinated enough to do things right handed, let alone be ambidextrous. 

2 hours ago, VGL said:

I'm right handed but I don't hold a pen or pencil properly.  I hold it like I'm left handed.  I get ink and pencil smears on my hand just like a lefty.

I'm 35 and right handed but I also never learned to hold a pen/pencil correctly.  It wasn't even until high school that I realized that I held it weirdly.  Literally nobody noticed or tried to correct me.  

I don't know if I hold the pen/pencil like a leftie, but the pen basically rests on my ring finger, where the first knuckle is. I developed a callous or something where it rests.  It used to be a really big bump but has gotten smaller since the vast majority of my writing has been typing for years. 

I also never learned how to use chopsticks.  Everyone who has tried to teach tells me to hold the stable stick like a pencil and I have to say "I never learned how to do that correctly!" So I'm the goober who eats sushi with a fork or my hands. 

I'm a rightie but I have the ability to use my left hand almost equally as well as my right.... except for writing. It looks like a different persons handwriting then.

9 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

I'm 35 and right handed but I also never learned to hold a pen/pencil correctly.  It wasn't even until high school that I realized that I held it weirdly.  Literally nobody noticed or tried to correct me.  

I don't know if I hold the pen/pencil like a leftie, but the pen basically rests on my ring finger, where the first knuckle is. I developed a callous or something where it rests.  It used to be a really big bump but has gotten smaller since the vast majority of my writing has been typing for years. 

I also never learned how to use chopsticks.  Everyone who has tried to teach tells me to hold the stable stick like a pencil and I have to say "I never learned how to do that correctly!" So I'm the goober who eats sushi with a fork or my hands. 

I don't hold my pencil correctly either. I hold it similar to how a lot of left handed people hold it and sort of curve my hand while writing.

I can use chop sticks though, which I am thankful for since we have been doing a lot of travel in Asia in recent years. 

My older two kids learned to use chopsticks very easily but my youngest struggled for awhile. We bought her some training chopsticks like these ones, since they helped her hold them correctly vs. the ones that just hold to chopsticks together. She still struggles a bit, but can make due as long as they aren't too long. She's only 7 and has small hands. 

46 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

but the pen basically rests on my ring finger, where the first knuckle is. I developed a callous or something where it rests.

Same. My mom noticed I held my pencil wrong one day at the dinner table (I think I was in high school), because I also hold my fork like that. She told me:  "Hold your fork correctly!" I just looked at her. She said:  "Hold it like a pencil." I told her I was holding it like I held a pencil. She didn't believe me, and made me write something immediately after the meal. Then she spent a few months trying to "correct" my pencil grip. I'm good with chopsticks, though. :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived