IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Please humour me while I put on my genealogist and historian hats for a minute to address something from the previous thread, and then I swear I'll get back on topic.

No one can document their entire family back to the 1300s. No one. To be able to confidently document even one single line back that far is incredibly difficult. To document every line is literally impossible. I don't care if you have a professional genealogist relative who swears up and down that he did it, if grandma swears it's true, or if you're the Queen of England. It's 100% impossible. Even having all your family lines documented completely back to the early 1700s is next to impossible. I'm not confident about much in life, but of this I am absolutely certain. If someone assured you it was possible, they were either lying or misguided themselves.

I agree. It's incredibly hard to trace back to the beginning of the 1800s and the end of 1700s never mind any further back. 

We were able to trace back to around 1600s thanks to Northern Ireland/Ireland being a small place with good historical records and because my ancestors were wealthy estate holders up until about 100 years ago and I'm a direct line from the last Barron that had the estate, so for me it was just going back through all who occupied the Estate and that was my direct bloodline since it was always passed to the eldest son. But once we hit around 1620 we hit a brick wall as it appears that's when the originally Dutch surname was Anglicised and that's when the house/estate was built. 

Theres a record of people coming over in 1529 with the Dutch surname that we think may be the original immigrants as on one of the 1700 census' there's a girl listed as 'niece' living in the house with that Dutch surname. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jana and Jill were content as teens to wear frumpers. Once Jinger was a teen, she pushed for more contemporary fashions. The frumpers were history. 

55 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I misspoke about Clinton, and I thank you for your correction - this is the event I was referring to in 2000: 

Every phone call we made to the Dallas INS office resulted in our being told by employees there that the amnesty cases took priority over my husband's processing. Apparently, we were lied to, so again - I appreciate your correcting a misconception that has followed us all 18 years of our marriage.

And I figure you won't believe me, but my DH has zero criminal record (not even a speeding ticket) and never has. Our paperwork was always in order. Our marriage has always been 100% legitimate (and yes - we had to sit through the interrogation to prove it, along with providing family photos that showed we actually lived as husband/wife - Christmas, vacations, wedding, etc.). We're the same age.

And yeah, I'm upset it took almost three years to get something that should have been taken care of in less than half the time.

Ah yes, 245i - that was technically not an amnesty, but functionally could be seen as such. It basically gives those waivers I mentioned for the 10-year permanent bar to anyone who came to the US before 1998 - so if they now qualify for a visa or work permit but originally entered unlawfully, they can automatically get it instead of having to leave the country for 10 years. This was a way to sort of grandfather people in who had entered the country pre-IRA IRA.

Anyone who entered after that date will either have to leave the US for 10 years, or apply for a "waiver" if they're eligible (which many are not) - which is an expensive, risky, lengthy process that in the best of scenarios will have the immigrant out of the US for months and will cost thousands.

I'm sure the immigration officers you spoke with gave you any excuse in the book, and the backlogs are a very real problem that cause many to suffer unfairly. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I didn't mean to make any accusations about your husband or your marriage - I worked in this field for years and I saw many people in legit relationships questioned about it...it one memorable case, we ended up submitting a couple's IM conversations because they were long-distance, which is a big red flag for immigration authorities. The memorable part was the more explicit content that we had to black out, usually proceeded by "I'm turning on the webcam now..." :D

@singsingsing has a recap of part 1 of the "Counting On" after show.

Jinger and Jeremy bought a house and 

Spoiler

Daphne Oz asks if there's a nursery. Jinger says they have four bedrooms: master bedroom, Jeremy's study, one is a guest room, the other is full of boxes. Jana says, "But it can be redone." Jinger: "Yeah, it's ready." They're going to come back and do 'part 2' when it's time to set up the nursery. 

Does she mean part 2 of the renovation or part 2 of the after show?

9 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

@singsingsing has a recap of part 1 of the "Counting On" after show.

Hide contents

Daphne Oz asks if there's a nursery. Jinger says they have four bedrooms: master bedroom, Jeremy's study, one is a guest room, the other is full of boxes. Jana says, "But it can be redone." Jinger: "Yeah, it's ready." They're going to come back and do 'part 2' when it's time to set up the nursery. 

Does she mean part 2 of the renovation or part 2 of the after show?

They meant 'part 2' as in 'part 2 of the renovation/decorating'.

12 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

Hide contents

you mean TLC/JB bought a house 

a spade is a spade 

9 minutes ago, nst said:

a spade is a spade 

I actually somewhat doubt that. For all of Jeremy's faults, he seems pretty determined that he and Jinger will make their own ways in life.

Edit: that's not to say they didn't use earnings from TLC for the house, but I highly doubt that either party bought them a house outright. 

Re: Name changes

My grandmother recently told me when her father and brother immigrated to America they went to different clerks at Ellis island, and the clerks ended up spelling their last names differently. Which I complicated geneology. The last name was just so foreign to the clerks and they had no idea how to spell it. My grandmother also said that if the clerks had no idea what someone said when they gave their last name, or couldn't begin to spell it, people were just given the last name Smith. Which explains how Charles E. Smith, a very wealthy Jew who has lots buildings with his and his wife's name on it, got his last name.

7 minutes ago, nst said:

a spade is a spade 

Jinger also - in some way or fashion - would earn money from the show.  Even if it goes into a communal/trust account, she still earned it and would therefore be entitled to spend it as well.

The Babes' new house, for anyone interested (plus Jinger killing it in the outfit department again):

Spoiler

jjhouse.thumb.png.047caa9bbe1b886d913a23d3c1db3c7f.png

I don't know if Boob owns that house. Jeremy did work as a professional soccer player for a number of years and now as a minister. So, maybe he had some money saved up to buy a house when he tied the knot.  If there is any TLC money, at least it went to Jeremy and Jinger, NOT Boob and Mee-Chelle.

I'm trying to be optimistic that Jeremy cannot be bought.

I wonder how much it is ? :D

2 minutes ago, freealljs said:

I'm trying to be optimistic that Jeremy cannot be bought.

he already has been 

39 minutes ago, nst said:

a spade is a spade 

TLC doesn't buy people houses. Period. [source? a family member who is a Discovery Communications executive]

And dear sweet Rufus, Laredo real estate is cheap: https://www.zillow.com/laredo-tx/

4 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

TLC doesn't buy people houses. Period. [source? a family member who is a Discovery Communications executive]

And dear sweet Rufus, Laredo real estate is cheap: https://www.zillow.com/laredo-tx/

Those houses are cheaper than some condos near where I live!

23 minutes ago, nst said:

he already has been 

based on what? I've seen zero evidence of him selling out to the Duggar machine. The toxic beliefs being a separate issue, we have seen no actual evidence of him selling out at all. Yes, they are occasionally on the show, but that's not shocking given that Jinger has grown up in the spotlight. Personally, I have zero issue with them hypothetically using money they made from the show to buy a house. They are doing a job for which they are being paid. All of us do that.

Also, the money for the house could just as easily have come from his soccer days. Or an inheritance. Hell, they could have won the lottery. 

That home is listed in both Jeremy and Jingers' names only. It was sold in February this year. I'm guessing they recently closed on it. I'm also guessing they got it for around $150k. Based on the photos online, it's an extremely gorgeous house. 

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

-snip-

And I figure you won't believe me, but my DH has zero criminal record (not even a speeding ticket) and never has. Our paperwork was always in order. Our marriage has always been 100% legitimate (and yes - we had to sit through the interrogation to prove it, along with providing family photos that showed we actually lived as husband/wife - Christmas, vacations, wedding, etc.). We're the same age.

And yeah, I'm upset it took almost three years to get something that should have been taken care of in less than half the time.

*fyi, please pardon any grammer mistakes - my asthma and sinuses are flaring like crazy for the last several days ~ and I'm praying any of my comments make sense :p*

Anyways, I believe you!  My Dad's American, my Mom's German and all the same things applied to them as well (as in, there were no "red flags") .  I literally have childhood memories of various INS offices *eyeroll*

Whether by discrimination, incompetence or both - things were *always* harder than it was "supposed" to be, when it came to paperwork, appointments, interviews, etc.  Everything took longer, and was made to be far more complicated than it needed to be.  And honestly, I'm 31 and I think my mom has mild PTSD from the decades of dealing with them, until she became a dual citizen herself in 2008.  So I definitely understand how your experiences can still cause quite the grief!

2 hours ago, amandaaries said:

-snip-

I'd be cautious in underestimating the pressure to Americanize oneself as an immigrant, both then and now.  Many immigrants were told that their names were too complicated, even though they were literate and could spell those names (the Johansson example was from my family, and the people who came over were literate). 

I can personally speak to this: My name is a European version of "Katherine".  It has a silent letter and seems to be too hard to figure out for about 90% of people reading it.  So I go by Kat.  It's just easier.

When we moved back to the U.S. when I was 12, we moved into an affluent area in South Carolina.  The school said my name was too hard to pronounce, and asked me what else I liked to be called that was more American  (you can't make this shit up people - I think my Dad almost had an aneurysm).  They didn't ask if I *wanted* to change it, just what other name I'd liked.  We were only going to be there for a few months, while we looked for a house, and I was eager to "fit in" - I begged my Dad, and he relented (though when I transferred to the next school, he met with the principal before hand to explain my name is German, and to deal with it lol).

The English name I picked?  I grew up watching the Disney Sleepy Hallow cartoon, and so I picked Katrina :P

Years ago, I saw a great Tumblr post about "foreign names", where a young Asian man laughed, "if you can learn to say Tsaichovsky, you can learn to say my name, too!  It's not that hard people!"

. . . Oh, and yes, Jinger is rocking her fashion choices ;)

43 minutes ago, MotherOfDragons said:

That home is listed in both Jeremy and Jingers' names only. It was sold in February this year. I'm guessing they recently closed on it. I'm also guessing they got it for around $150k. Based on the photos online, it's an extremely gorgeous house. 

$150k - my last down payment was that. My parents just paid $600k for a condo in Whistler - a ! bedroom 600 sq ft condo that can be rented out 

56 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I remember reading that TLC offered to buy a house for Mama June and Honey Boo Boo.  

For what it's worth, I would rather we didn't link to their address. Yes, the information is public and took me about 15 seconds to find, but I think it's kinda creepy to share an address they didn't share themselves. Not an admin opinion, just mine. 

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

For what it's worth, I would rather we didn't link to their address. Yes, the information is public and took me about 15 seconds to find, but I think it's kinda creepy to share an address they didn't share themselves. Not an admin opinion, just mine. 

That's why I didn't include links. If I can find the info, anybody can find it. :pb_lol:

If you take the wackadoodle beliefs out of the equation...Jinger has it pretty sweet. She looks happy, she has beautiful new clothes, she has a handsome husband who romances her. I bet when she is sick, she goes to a reputable physician who is still licensed to practice medicine. Compare to Jessa who gives birth on couches, Jill who endures traumatic labors and deliveries, Jana who can't leave the house and has to be content keeping house for that enormous family. Now I know that Baaaaaabe does have those beliefs. Maybe he'll change with time. I hope so. But for now anyway, he seems to treat Jinger well.

Looks like a nice house.

for what it's worth, I think the only married daughter being currently 'repressed' fashion wise is Joy. Jinger clearly has more freedom than ever before. I think Jessa will damn will wear what she likes, Headship be damned and I can't see Ben telling her 'no'. Jill has never seemed interested in fashion, although she did get gussied up in her courtship. Her hair was always beautifully done and I suspect her sisters did her outfits. Married, she just doesn't seem to care much. Joy, hasn't been married long, we will have to wait and see how long the 'wear dresses because Austin likes it' lasts. Will Austin tell her to just be comfortable, or no? I'm leaning towards there will be a point where he realizes she prefers skirts/wants to try  shorts/leggings/pants.

i suppose I should include Anna. I don't know. I've kind of gotten a Jill- like vibe from her, but she certainly dresses much better than she did in the early seasons, and puts leggings on her own daughter. She's my question mark.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived