IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

13 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

Thank you. Somewhere I heard you should only buy if you plan on living there 5 years.. not sure if that's true or not. I'm currently happily renting, just started my first big girl job on June 1, trying to pay off student loans and save up.  I was just asking, because by the time I have the down payment, I'm not sure I would want to stay in this area an additional 5+ years.

I thought of something else with regards to do with taxes and stuff... if you do sell it early like my parents do you will have to pay a penalty if you get  a mortgage...but hey if you make a profit it won't matter. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's kind of sad to think though that if Jeremy was against Jinger wearing pants as per Gothard's inane and outdated standards, than she'd still be in dresses and maxi skirts. This "authority" stuff is just fuuuuuuucked. 

I loved Jingers green dress that she wore during the reunion. She looks young and cute.

Also, I've been told by real estate brokers in my area that you have to keep a property for 8 years to make money off of it. It's probably because it's so expensive here. I don't know many flippers. It's too expensive to buy a house for 800k make it nice and try to sell it. People don't do that in my area.

1 minute ago, OyToTheVey said:

I loved Jingers green dress that she wore during the reunion. She looks young and cute.

Also, I've been told by real estate brokers in my area that you have to keep a property for 8 years to make money off of it. It's probably because it's so expensive here. I don't know many flippers. It's too expensive to buy a house for 800k make it nice and try to sell it. People don't do that in my area.

Agreed. We have had homes all over the economic spectrum- A starter home that we sold for double the price in 8 years time...all the way to a million dollar+ home that we could not sell and my hub's previous employer purchased from us- that was the hardest home that we needed to sell. We owned if for 9 years and still made an OK profit, and since we sold it in 2009, the economy really hurt us. Expensive homes are hard to sell- the market is just too limited.

Here, the market is great for buying/selling houses right now. I bought my home last March for 185k and it's increased in value 10k since we moved in. As long as the housing market doesnt crash, we should make a profit when we sell in 2019. 

Houses here are only on the market for a day or two. 

In my area (Nashville and surrounding), you can make money QUICKLY with hardly any improvements. People are moving here in flocks and droves; the property value just continues to increase (for now). It's crazy. Many people I know have sold their homes with a profit on the day it's listed.

I know I took an absolute bath on a rowhouse I purchased in the middle of a very high interest rate period. I bought it, and when the rates went down significant'y, refinanced, and then they dropped again, refinanced, and I just kept losing money and losing money. Then Mr. Four and I got married and he wouldn't live on "my" territory, so we rented a house that was "neutral" but guess what? I couldn't sell the house fo rnearly a year! What a mess that was!! I still haven't forgiven him for his part in that debacle. We could have made some money had he just sworn off his pride and moved in.

Oh, and that full top on Jinger (looks great) is going to spark baby bump rumors because it's fuller than her normal wear.

Thank you. Somewhere I heard you should only buy if you plan on living there 5 years.. not sure if that's true or not. I'm currently happily renting, just started my first big girl job on June 1, trying to pay off student loans and save up.  I was just asking, because by the time I have the down payment, I'm not sure I would want to stay in this area an additional 5+ years.

I was taught 3 years. If you are going to be in the area for 3 years buy. I believe that there is also a graph that you can use that breaks it down at which point it's better to buy or rent.

Something to keep in mind if you going to stay with the same company or a new company in the same area. Most of my college friends & ones made post school environment switched companies after a year. I know only 5 that are still with their first 'Adult Job'.

Any estimate can be so varied with whether it's financially better to be renting vs buying for a set period of time. If you get kicked out of your rental or have a terrible landlord you'll need to move more often which is money and stress. The rental market exploded in my city a couple of years back and prices soared so that you could be paying off a large mortgage for what it'd cost to rent a place, but in other places I've lived the rent would have been peanuts compared to a mortgage. Now the apartment market is crashing so rents and prices are falling there in a way people weren't predicting 3 years ago. The ease of mind in not having to worry about a landlord or inspections is worth a lot of money to me too.

$800k is a cheap house around here and wouldn't last for long on the market at all. Fixer-uppers sell for that. If I had the energy I'm sure I could buy one, do it up and resell it for a big profit in a year or so.

I think how long you keep a house really depends on the market.  Everyone (both agents, lender, inspector) thinks the house should have gone for more.  Also, it's appraised for $25k more than we paid, so it's possible we could move sooner than 5 years.  

We had a buyer's agent.  We definitely could not have gotten through the purchase without one.  But, we also used Redfin, and the Redfin agents don't get commission.  We actually got a refund of some of the commission than was paid to the buyer's agent (company keeps some) that we put towards closing costs.  They were really great to work with, and I wouldn't hesitate using them or recommending Redfin.

We took other factors into consideration when deciding whether to sell our starter (2bed 1 bath) home 7 years after we bought it.  We loved the location, Mr Karma had done lots to the garden, we had nice neighbours, and stamp duty here is very expensive.  So instead of upgrading to a bigger home, we renovated to make it 4bed, 2 bathroom.  For us, the hassle and expense was worth it; we have now been her for 26 years and probably will only move when we retire to a coastal apartment.

I guess here in Germany you buy/build for life usually. I know no one who sold the house they bought or build without really important reasons. Moving isn't a big deal here in my area. The people I know were born here and stay within a few miles of their parent's home.

Maybe also because you don't buy as a single person. The flats/houses are too expensive for that. Once you are married and starting a family is the the point were people usually buy. We have many young families moving in the new build houses in the area here. They cost at least 700.000€+. 

2 hours ago, Gobbles said:

I guess here in Germany you buy/build for life usually. I know no one who sold the house they bought or build without really important reasons. Moving isn't a big deal here in my area. The people I know were born here and stay within a few miles of their parent's home.

(snip)

That would be my experience of Germany as well.

In my small village, there is no housing market. Either you buy land and build, or you convert part of your parents/a close relative's house, or add an annexe. This being a former farming community, houses tend to be old and huge with multi-generational living in mind, plus usually a barn you can convert.

While the lack of a housing market is bad for newcomers, I find it rather charming that pretty much every old house is occupied by multiple generations. Having said that, if you need to rent, you're shit out of luck!

Point of the story: I agree with your observations.

11 hours ago, Gobbles said:

Poland too. You get a loan for 30+ years and pay back all your life or start out living with your parents after you get married and slowly build your own house over few (usually 10+ ) years. 

In the Netherlands most people will buy houses 2 or 3 times in their life.

First time when they are in their late 20's/early 30's. Either an appartment by yourself or a small familyhome as a couple (unless you live in Amsterdam and you buy a super small appartment as couple :my_biggrin:)

Then when you have a few kids and they get bigger, most people move to a bigger house 10-15 years later. This is the house where they live until they are old. Some people however choose to move to smaller house again when the kids leave.

Only in the big cities (especially Amsterdam) there is a big housing market. This is also the only place where you would see people flipping houses to make profit on the long term. I think it is stupid because I am 200% sure that we are in the next housing bubble here.

5 hours ago, Karma said:

We took other factors into consideration when deciding whether to sell our starter (2bed 1 bath) home 7 years after we bought it.  We loved the location, Mr Karma had done lots to the garden, we had nice neighbours, and stamp duty here is very expensive.  So instead of upgrading to a bigger home, we renovated to make it 4bed, 2 bathroom.  For us, the hassle and expense was worth it;

People in my area have done what you did.  I know of a widower (who had 3 kids) who got remarried to a widow (who had 2 kids) instead of selling his house he added a second floor to his house. 

First I will admit to not ever liking Jeremy. He just rubbs me the wrong way.

I felt from the courtship video that he was there to take this thing over (as in Jingers spot on TV). Some of it might be training in public speaking but he also seems to really like the camera and himself (direct eye contact, look at the interview picture posted of the after show he is right front and center).

JinJers parts of the show I skip, as I cant stand Jeremy and Jinger is just to weak/unsure for me to watch. (I could stand the part of her alone shopping for gifts thought)

Way am I writing all this? Because I dont want to hide a I am majorly prejudiced:my_biggrin:

I really like Jingers new fashion choices as many of them conform with my one style. But I still dont feel happy with them. Mainly because, I never liked Jingers style before Jeremy showed up. I could respect her having her own style! I could understand way her siblings would say that her style was uniquely hers (a bit bohemian mixed with some quirkiness but not too much embellishment). Now it is a nice style but very main stream. In fact it is closer to Laura/Janas style ( super clean lines, unicolors or stipes) but a bit more money and "keeping up with wants hip"  behind it.

I guess this post comes down to: I think Jingers new fashion sense is Jeremy induced and much less a measure of Jingers own freedom/ability to make decisions and more of her forming herself into his perfect wife.

A lot of time spend on outfit choices is not a measure of liberty of mind.

(For some reason that correlation just really irks me. Its the same with the Bates. Seriously when in High school were the pretty, fashion stars the nice kids who played well with everybody)

As a side note: if Derrick had recently said what Jeremy did about Catholics and transgender we would still be snarking weeks later! 

my kind of rant is over now:my_angel:

14 minutes ago, epic fail said:

First I will admit to not ever liking Jeremy. He just rubbs me the wrong way.

SNIP

I think Jingers new fashion sense is Jeremy induced and much less a measure of Jingers own freedom/ability to make decisions and more of her forming herself into his perfect wife.

SNIP

A lot of time spend on outfit choices is not a measure of liberty of mind.

SNIP

Jeremy's behaviors come across as very contrived in my opinion.

Like you, I don't see Jinger's current style evolution as her *finally* getting the freedom to wear the pants/shorts she's always wanted but never could, as much as it is about fitting into Jeremy's style. While I don't think there's anything inherently wrong or weird about wanting to dress in a way your significant other likes, I also don't think Jinger's current style is telling of some new independence like it's often presented. Even if Jeremy is a great guy and supportive husband, I don't feel like Jinger would be capable of doing such a turnaround to independence so quickly after living such a sheltered and restricted life. Jinger is so approval-seeking that she's probably constantly looking to Jeremy for direction and validation. I'm hoping she'll come into her own in time, but it's probably going to take awhile. 

Jeremy seems pretty image-conscious and likes to dress fairly trendy (I'm sorry, the slim-fit pants do not suit his body type, and my god, I don't think I could handle seeing him wearing oxfords, without socks, AND shorts at the time again) and likes everyone to know he has a lot of books and reads all the time and loves Rembrandt. If Jeremy is truly interested in expanding his theological knowledge, I don't understand why he hasn't gone to school for his MDiv. He could probably even do it online. 

I guess, I get the impression that Jeremy ultimately wants to have his own brand (maybe like Joel Osteen), and getting involved with someone as well-known as a Duggar would give him some leverage to make his dream a reality. Even Jeremy's possible dig at the Dillards drummed up some extra attention for him and his church - his videos certainly received more views. Not stupid on his part if publicity is what he really wants right now. I used to give Jeremy's behavior a pass - maybe he was uncomfortable in front of the cameras, but clearly, Jeremy loves the camera with all of the videos he posts of himself.

Obviously, this is pure speculation on my part, and maybe I'm being very unfair to Jeremy. I'm not saying that Jeremy is just using Jinger or doesn't really care about her. I do feel like there's something more than what he presents to public. I also believe he gets a pass - a lot - because of his appearance. He's attractive and doesn't look like he stepped out of a Gothard cave. I just feel like there's something more than what we see to Jeremy, and I don't know if it's all good. 

1 hour ago, ThunderRolls said:

Jeremy's behaviors come across as very contrived in my opinion.

Like you, I don't see Jinger's current style evolution as her *finally* getting the freedom to wear the pants/shorts she's always wanted but never could, as much as it is about fitting into Jeremy's style. While I don't think there's anything inherently wrong or weird about wanting to dress in a way your significant other likes, I also don't think Jinger's current style is telling of some new independence like it's often presented. Even if Jeremy is a great guy and supportive husband, I don't feel like Jinger would be capable of doing such a turnaround to independence so quickly after living such a sheltered and restricted life. Jinger is so approval-seeking that she's probably constantly looking to Jeremy for direction and validation. I'm hoping she'll come into her own in time, but it's probably going to take awhile. 

I don't know about Jeremy ...but I'd like to think Jinger has always had a bit of spunk to her. I think Jessa has outshined her for so long and she has played Jessa's sidekick too often, but Jinger always did try "trendy" fashion on the TV show & pictures they've shared.

I don't think it's too far fetched that her personal view of modesty is a bit more lax than her parents because not all kids share the same strict values to the T that their parents have.... Not that she hasn't dressed immodestly at all with what she has chosen to wear (sleeveless, pants & that little black cocktail dress she wore at the latest wedding which was gorgeous on her), but it may be her own doing with Jeremey's approval but maybe not his idea.

I'm betting she will still wear her parent's idea of modesty when shes at the tth out of respect for her parents, though.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:16 PM, SilverBeach said:

I have a job too. Its a simple email notification that takes a few minutes to peruse, no more than taking a call from an agent.

Yes, but some of us can't have our phones at work. At all. My last job you could only have your phone on while listening to music on headphones with it face-down on the desk. Your supervisor could and would demand to see it to check, especially if you were spotted tapping on it while on the work floor. To do anything you had to leave your desk and, if you wanted any privacy, the building itself, which affected your productivity. Let's not even mention the prohibition on checking personal websites/email on company computers. Not saying it's not effective, and it's great that it worked for you, but not everyone has immediate access to email and in a "hot" market that can make a huge difference.

On 7/25/2017 at 0:21 PM, MoonFace said:

I've been saying something similar all along:   If you raise your children to believe to be accountable to themselves and God then they shouldn't need a chaperone to hold them accountable.    They should have the values you thought them within themselves to do what they feel is the right thing.   

Bingo. Like you, I was raised to wait, and I did. Not because I had a chaperone at all times, but because I chose to for personal beliefs. I even, gasp!, went away on vacations with my then-boyfriend and we DIDN'T HAVE SEX. The horror! :boom:

5 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Yes, but some of us can't have our phones at work. At all. My last job you could only have your phone on while listening to music on headphones with it face-down on the desk. (snip)

Agreed. In one of the jobs I worked, we weren't allowed phones, paper and pens. Since we were dealing with sensitive information, there was a strict ban. E-mail was for work only, access to the internet severely limited.

30 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Agreed. In one of the jobs I worked, we weren't allowed phones, paper and pens. Since we were dealing with sensitive information, there was a strict ban. E-mail was for work only, access to the internet severely limited.

My work is the same. No phones, no books, no pens and paper.. but not for a security reason at all, just because it doesn't look like we're working if we're reading a book. Meanwhile facebook and FJ look like 'work' since they're on a computer :my_dodgy:

30 minutes ago, RhythmicSkater said:

(snip)

Meanwhile facebook and FJ look like 'work' since they're on a computer :my_dodgy:

In the "who has got it worse" Olympics, I win! *does a tiny victory lap*. I wasn't allowed FJ. Oh, the cruel inhumanity of it all! :)

@ThunderRolls There is something about Jeremy that gives me the creeps, and I think you put your finger on it. His consciousness of his own image strikes me as less to do with advancing his career and more to do with serving his ego. And/or charming people to get their guard down, it an almost predatory fashion. I hope for the best for Jinger, but Jeremy creeps me out.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived