IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Seriously. There was a large orthodox Jewish community at my college whose parents trusted them to go away to college and live in a dorm. Their parents trusted them to be off on their own and uphold their religious values. The fact that the Duggars and their ilk are so against this shows that their values are weak.

Where did go to school?  Many orthodox Jewish families value education and they know their kids will make the right decisions. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gobbles said:

We don't count bedrooms here so I have no idea how to say it, but I guess two bedrooms (as in my room and my parents) it is. One bath, extra toilet in a different room. But we have build the house with my Grandparents who life under us, so that is another bath and toilet if it is necessary and in the basement there is another toilet. The toilets are the most important thing. My Mum basically lives there (we have books and magazines in there) and so it is often used. I just go down the stairs either to my Grandparents or in the basement. The bathroom has two sinks and a bathtub and extra shower. 

I love the German stacked family houses that you guys have (I'm sorry, I've forgotten the name for it). So practical.

56 minutes ago, melon said:

In one of the episodes,they said that Jana,JInger or Michelle did  a lot of the cooking,but this has been awhile.

Was there a video/clip of Jinger showing joy how to make bread (& kneading it really well)?

I do find the counting bedrooms to be a bit strange. In my language you count the rooms (not including toilets/bathrooms, hallways, kitchen etc.). Our apartment is a three bedroom apartment but if I would speak Swedish I would say it is a "four room apartment" since we have a living room too. We don't tend to count bathrooms, I actually feel that saying how many bathrooms one has got feels a bit private and impolite. I guess this is a cultural difference. I am glad we have two though, and not just one, some of the three bedroom apartments in the area only have one. For a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment I think that is fine but for a bigger one there should be more than 1. No Swedes expect a house to have only on-suite bathrooms, mostly it is one bathroom per floor. The house I grew up in was quite large and it had one full bathroom, a very small room with just a toilet and sink and a shower in the basement without a toilet but one could see that one could be installed in that room but that was never done by the previous owners or us. I never felt we had too few bathrooms even if we lived there 5-6 people most of the time. 

Bathrooms are not counted as rooms here. For example, this is a nine room house with three and a half bathrooms, but those aren't in the nine room total. And actually, it's eleven rooms, but right here where I live, the basement rooms are not counted, though they are finished. I think that is regional, though, depending on windows sometimes or another attribute. The main floor is sort of open concept with two areas, but it's still five distinct rooms in the counting.

It's called a half bath if it has only a sink and toilet.

1 minute ago, backyard sylph said:

It's called a half bath if it has only a sink and toilet.

Now in wondering what happens when there are multiple half baths...like would 3 be 1 and a half? But then people would get confused.

Lately I hear them referred to more often as powder rooms. Which I guess sounds nicer, and obviously they have no bath in them. So maybe you'd say three bathrooms, two powder rooms?

I've seen listings with "two full baths, two half-baths."

And I've always counted rooms that have doors between them. For instance, this house has six rooms (not counting the bathrooms or basement). Each room is distinct (kitchen, dining, living, three bedrooms). The house I grew up in had a kitchen/den combo, living room, three bedrooms, so it was a five-room house, even though the kitchen and den were "distinct," they still were both in one room with nothing to divide them.

I just found a house with that sort of listing. It's in the spoiler box.

I'd probably count them the same way, or just list what kinds of rooms they are, but the listings for this house have been each separate. Maybe it depends on some detail or other.

not sure where we left the discussion of the military-related tax exemption on the Vuolos' new house, but I noticed today on Twitter that Jeremy mentioned ministering to refugees in Iraq. Maybe there's a connection there? Prior to seeing that tweet I would have agreed that the tax exemption was left over from a previous owner, but now I'm not so sure. 

Ahh, I see Jinger and Jeremy have the good ole "You Are Special" plate. I remember selling many of those back in the day.

@elliha thanks for sharing. I love snippets of culture!

I'm trying to work out how our home would be described in Sweden then? We live in a converted stable (well, tack room), so upstairs we have two bedrooms that double as our studies as well, that's it for rooms that count, but we have a bathroom up there too, then downstairs there's the hall, which has the washing machine in a little recess, and a cubbyhole under the stairs we're building a pantry in, then one big room that's kitchen at one end, living room at the other end. ...so am I right, under your system would that be counted as a three room house?

I grew up in a 5 bedroom house (two bedrooms were actually one, with a dividing wall to stop those brothers fighting.).  But for the 6 of us there was only one bathroom, with the toilet in it.  It sounds terrible, but all I can say about 6 people and one bathroom is that it was lucky we lived on an acre of bush, and my 3 brothers could go outside if needed...just like camping really.  

My parents downsized to a 2 bedroom apartment 2 years ago. Imagine their delight at having a bathroom and ensuite just for the 2 of them :) . Such luxury!

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

@elliha thanks for sharing. I love snippets of culture!

I'm trying to work out how our home would be described in Sweden then? We live in a converted stable (well, tack room), so upstairs we have two bedrooms that double as our studies as well, that's it for rooms that count, but we have a bathroom up there too, then downstairs there's the hall, which has the washing machine in a little recess, and a cubbyhole under the stairs we're building a pantry in, then one big room that's kitchen at one end, living room at the other end. ...so am I right, under your system would that be counted as a three room house?

I have always seen the kitchen counted separately, even in open concept, but I suppose there's some variance depending on size or shape or something. In my house it might be the flooring or entry ways to different areas.

16 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Anyone remember if Jinger was the family cook? She seems to be the only married one that doesn't have a problem around the kitchen. That fajita thing she made a couple of episodes ago looked good too. Between Jills casserole mush and Jessa not cooking at all, I'll take Jingers food any day. (Not including Anna or Joy because we haven't really seen Joy married and Anna has shown that she can cook)

Jill is a perfectly fine cook. Look through her Instagram from the past few years and you'll see that. Jessa doesn't seem to like cooking or to be very good at it. As long as her three kids are healthy and fed that's all that matters though.

Also, keep in mind that their spouses likely get a say in the food too. Jeremy is older, was an athlete, and lived in various places (including Finland if I remember right.) He may be more adventurous or more health conscious than others who marry into the family. And Derick may need to avoid some foods due to his health - or he may need to eat more calories in order to put some weight on.

8 hours ago, Beyganengvall said:

not sure where we left the discussion of the military-related tax exemption on the Vuolos' new house, but I noticed today on Twitter that Jeremy mentioned ministering to refugees in Iraq. Maybe there's a connection there? Prior to seeing that tweet I would have agreed that the tax exemption was left over from a previous owner, but now I'm not so sure. 

We left it with someone pointing out that we know a lot about his travels as an adult thanks to his very public soccer career. I very much doubt he was ever involved with the military due to just that fact. It's kind of hard to be a member of the military while also playing professional soccer.

48 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

As long as her three kids are healthy and fed that's all that matters though.

:pb_lol:

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We left it with someone pointing out that we know a lot about his travels as an adult thanks to his very public soccer career. I very much doubt he was ever involved with the military due to just that fact. It's kind of hard to be a member of the military while also playing professional soccer.

If you look at the previous owners' tax bill the exemption is very plainly on there for them.  I expect it will clear at some point during the county processing.

Dunno about that. When Mr. Four and I bought our first house, we had a VA loan at 2% interest, for a small percentage of the house. The previous (and only )owner was a WWII veteran, and qualified for a VA loan. WE could have taken over the remainder of what he owed with that small loan. It was transferrable.

Tax exemption and VA loans are two very, very different animals.  Tax exemption is determined by state and county legislation and rules.  VA loans are federal.  One reduces local property taxes and the other helps you buy the house.  Plus you were and Mr. Four were eligible for a VA loan so you could take on an older one. 

21 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

I love the German stacked family houses that you guys have (I'm sorry, I've forgotten the name for it). So practical.

We live in a "Zweifamilienhaus" -- Two family house. If it is a house for one family, it is called "Einfamilienhaus" --  One family house. Houses with three or more flats are called "Mehrfamilienhaus" - More family house. Guess the proper term is semidetached house or something like that. Brick build as in only brick, no wood is the norm. The wooden houses are often special fancy ones made by architects. EDIT: Wood is used for the roof framework, so no wood at all is wrong. And we have some wood around the balconies as a decoration.

This is a good example of a typical house in my neighbourhood. Pretty much how our house looks like.

Haha, a thing most Americans find hilarious (personal experience) is that you can tilt our windows. The upper part opens, while the lower part stays the same. And proper rolling shutters. If you close them the room is pitch black, no light comes trough.

075D55825437548B5124916521E1F188-VIEW-SL

Canada here.

"Zweifamilienhaus" -- Two family house - in your picture if totally seperated for furnace, hot water etc, would be called an Up & Down Duplex.  If only one furnace/hotwater tank, House with basement suite.  

We don't use room count per se, adverts are really descriptive and although they would use abreviations here is a full out description of what we curently live in:   "3 bedroom town house, full bath  and laundry room up; living /dining room, galley kitchen with eating area and  3pc bath down.

I grew up in: Basement entry 3bd house with one car carport and large back yard.  This can be understood to mean 3 bedrooms, one bathroom, kitchen, dining and living upstairs.  That the laundry, furnace and hot water tank are downstairs, and as nothing room-wise is described it is unfinished (probably roughed-in for a 1/2 bath and probably a recreation room).  The large in those days meant 1/4 acre. 

11 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

"Zweifamilienhaus" -- Two family house - in your picture if totally seperated for furnace, hot water etc, would be called an Up & Down Duplex.  If only one furnace/hotwater tank, House with basement suite.  

Yup, totally separate. We have separate bills for everything. We could have done it otherwise, but in case we want to rent out a flat one day we decided to go for the more expensive option. "We" is also a bit misleading, I was a few weeks old when the house was build. :lol:

Up & Down Duplex sounds fancy!

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Unless he played for the Army

https://www.army.mil/article/7151/All_Army_Soccer_Team_Visits_Pentagon/

Not that I think he did, but much to my surprise, the Army does have a soccer team.

1 hour ago, Gobbles said:

We live in a "Zweifamilienhaus" -- Two family house. If it is a house for one family, it is called "Einfamilienhaus" --  One family house. Houses with three or more flats are called "Mehrfamilienhaus" - More family house. Guess the proper term is semidetached house or something like that. Brick build as in only brick, no wood is the norm. The wooden houses are often special fancy ones made by architects. EDIT: Wood is used for the roof framework, so no wood at all is wrong. And we have some wood around the balconies as a decoration.

This is a good example of a typical house in my neighbourhood. Pretty much how our house looks like.

Haha, a thing most Americans find hilarious (personal experience) is that you can tilt our windows. The upper part opens, while the lower part stays the same. And proper rolling shutters. If you close them the room is pitch black, no light comes trough.

075D55825437548B5124916521E1F188-VIEW-SL

So which one is the one where grandparents live on the ground floor parents above and kids in the basement?

11 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

So which one is the one where grandparents live on the ground floor parents above and kids in the basement?

I'd say the two family one usually. The basement rooms are good for children and we have an office down there (+ rooms for washer/dryer and storage rooms for bikes or food), but only living there might be a bit weird. Much better than being with your parents of course, but the windows aren't perfect, at the picture you can see the small ones near the ground. (Saying this as a spoiled single child. I bet for other people, like one of the Duggars a basement flat would be heaven on earth.)

Rolling shutters are available in the US, too.  Some of the people around here have them especially on west facing windows.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived